P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Same estate has had numerous instances of theft of garden ornaments such as plant pots, one incident last week when a homeowner challenged a woman who had taken a plant pot from garden at 1:00 am and was threatened with a screwdriver, fortunately other neighbours heard the commotion and managed to detain her until the police arrived.

Some people don't have a pot to p in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Oh happy day, it's dry!! Been up since 3.30 when my ginger monster decided he REALLY needed his mummy to give him biscuits and then let him out for some early morning mouse patrol.  He seemed quite shocked his paws didn't get wet!

Preparations for London tomorrow with a visit to the O2 to see Elbow the highlight. Apparently going to be no rain there either unless I manage to take it with me.  Thankfully train drivers are not striking just overtime banning so it should be better than last week's nightmare trip to Newmarket by car.

Thanks to my early awakening I've checked in for my Queen Anne jaunt and printed labels and boarding passes,  I seem to be moving all over the ship, now got yet another cabin number all supposedly upgrades but just moving around in position. Not sailing until the 24th so I'm probably to end up back where I came from at this rate. I assume it's all to do with paid upgrade bids but it's getting a bit odd.

Have a good day everyone.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 13

Morning All

Pretty glorious weather down here at the moment. Monday a washout then Tuesday a sunny, dry and 20c relief. Forecast more of the same for the rest of the week and getting warmer. 

@Megabear2 - looks like you're going to be ok for your jaunt to the O2. Love Elbow - really one of my favourite bands. Have a great evening.

@Snow Hill - sorry to hear about the thefts in your area and especially the threat with a screwdriver. It's happening everywhere I'm afraid. Our safe ordered lives have changed.

Have a good day everyone. Be well. Jane xx

• Like 9

As a a former trade Union lay officer for over 20 years, overtime bans were seen as an effective tool as many businesses relied on overtime working, certainly in the rail industry they do. If a driver for example goes off sick, then often another driver is asked to cover on an overtime basis, but with a ban in place then that doesn’t happen this leading to uncertainty on whether service will run or not. So if you are planning to go by train, then I would suggest you give yourself plenty of time to get there. 

As for seeing Elbow at the O2, very envious. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

As a a former trade Union lay officer for over 20 years, overtime bans were seen as an effective tool as many businesses relied on overtime working, certainly in the rail industry they do. If a driver for example goes off sick, then often another driver is asked to cover on an overtime basis, but with a ban in place then that doesn’t happen this leading to uncertainty on whether service will run or not. So if you are planning to go by train, then I would suggest you give yourself plenty of time to get there. 

As for seeing Elbow at the O2, very envious. 

Actually had a chat with the guys on the picket line yesterday, they seemed to be enjoying the rare sunshine.  As a trade unionist myself, rather rare in law offices, I always like to hear the story from both sides and being a small city I know quite a few people who have or do work on the railways.  Interesting conversations.

I am going up early around 10.30am and hopefully meeting a friend I worked with in the afternoon.  I've been watching Elbow live for nearly 30 years since first seeing them in a Bury pub and this is the first O2 concert since before the pandemic so I'm very excited. 

• Like 8

Good morning

The sun has arrived, at last!

Lovely walk on the beach & fish lunch yesterday

Group walk with the Wednesday group today

Everything feels so much better with a bit of sunshine!

On the minus side, the car is playing up (battery/electrics) so himself will have to miss the walk and get that sorted.  Boo546C038F-D3AD-401A-83D1-41B6A503E61C.thumb.jpeg.9ad52f901063c7930a41b862b3d0678f.jpeg

• Like 14

On 5/4/2024 at 8:27 AM, Peanut006 said:

Hi Sarah, apologise for the late reply. I stayed in hospital three nights and I had to prove I could go up and down stairs before they let me home. I wasn’t in any pain after the operation though. After my MRI on 30/12 and diagnosis I had to wait 6 days for my op, I know now I should have been operated on within 24 hours and as a result I have permanent nerve damage, drop foot and no reflex in my left lower leg. But a colleague had the same op and is fine!! I had six weeks off work and physio.

I hope your mum does well 

Michelle

Sorry, I've only just seen your reply. I'm sorry for you that you are left with issues because they didn't do the op quick enough 

Sounds a very similar experience to mum. We had to get her back to the hospital yesterday as the wound had started bleeding again. We said to the nurses that she feels much worse then she expected she would a week after the op but when they looked at her notes they told her that there had been extensive damage, it was basically 'a mess in there' so it's to be expected that recovery will take a while, it's a shame they didn't tell her that before discharging her. Traffic was horrendous so we spent almost 4 hours in the car which didn't help her pain, but it was worthwhile going, if only to get assurance about recovery speed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2024 at 2:07 PM, grapau27 said:

You look beautiful Jane.

Lovely to see your face so I will recognise you if we ever met on a ship.

This is Pauline and me at Wynyard Hall gardens cafe last Sunday.

I will not tell Pauline I have posted her photo 🤫

IMG_20240428_120828.jpg

IMG_20240428_123342.jpg

Pauline always looks beautiful and so elegant.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2024 at 7:03 AM, kalos said:

Morning a busy day doing little yesterday apart from awaiting text messages 

from the granddaughter who had took our 8 month old to the hozzi on the 

advice of NHS-111.

She had been stressed two days and yesterday refused drinks and came out

a rash.

Even on a bank holiday they had to wait 3 hours to be seen by doctors,

Who after ruling out the rash as nothing nasty put the baby on 

antibiotics for a Strep throat , which can be common they said when babys 

are teething .

Anyway The granddaughter rang us to say ,babys now settled, sleeping and

eating and seems to be happy.

That news made us feel happy as well.

Hope you all have a lovely day -Take care 🙂

That's good new Kalos, very worrying when babies are poorly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

She's fine now apart from her teething problems ,thanks for your kind words 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Sorry, I've only just seen your reply. I'm sorry for you that you are left with issues because they didn't do the op quick enough 

Sounds a very similar experience to mum. We had to get her back to the hospital yesterday as the wound had started bleeding again. We said to the nurses that she feels much worse then she expected she would a week after the op but when they looked at her notes they told her that there had been extensive damage, it was basically 'a mess in there' so it's to be expected that recovery will take a while, it's a shame they didn't tell her that before discharging her. Traffic was horrendous so we spent almost 4 hours in the car which didn't help her pain, but it was worthwhile going, if only to get assurance about recovery speed.

I'm sorry to hear your lovely mam is suffering Sarah.

Sending her our love that she recovers soon.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kalos said:

She's fine now apart from her teething problems ,thanks for your kind words 🙂

I'm happy to hear your encouraging news Kalos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Good morning

The sun has arrived, at last!

Lovely walk on the beach & fish lunch yesterday

Group walk with the Wednesday group today

Everything feels so much better with a bit of sunshine!

On the minus side, the car is playing up (battery/electrics) so himself will have to miss the walk and get that sorted.  Boo546C038F-D3AD-401A-83D1-41B6A503E61C.thumb.jpeg.9ad52f901063c7930a41b862b3d0678f.jpeg

Nice photo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Sorry to hear you had to re-visit the hospital with your mum, hopefully everything will start to improve for her now

Michelle

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Same with Mums and I hope your mum makes a swift recovery in the near future .🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are all ok today.

We have had lovely weather over here for a few days now, not always 100% sun but still a nice day. I am glad to say I can now wear a dress and I am not all wrapped up as if I were going on an expedition.

Just had an unexpected visit to the vet with our Cavalier, we noticed at lunchtime her toe was bleeding. It turns out it’s a cyst in between her toes that has burst, she is on antibiotics for a week now.

It’s a girls night out at a local bistro tonight so that should be fun, there are 22 of us going.

Take care everyone 

Michelle

• Like 14

@daz1107 I didn’t want to go off topic on the drinks thread but as a fellow whisky (and whiskey) enthusiast can I recommend one from a fairly new distillery. 

We were in Fife last year and visited Kingsbarns which is less than a decade old. Their Balcomie Sherry matured malt is really good and very well priced for the quality, I’d say cheap for the flavour profile.

Rosebank is also opening again in June after 25 years sleeping so looking forward to going for a tour there.

You are correct, the selection is pretty safe and pedestrian for anyone who knows and enjoys their whisky.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

It’s a girls night out at a local bistro tonight so that should be fun, there are 22 of us going.

Nowt like a quite night out and I guess it will be nowt like a quite night out 🙃

Glad to read  your Cavalier has got treatment before it turns nasty .

Have a great night out Michelle 😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another cracking day here, we have sat out most of the day in nice hot sunshine. We are having friends for tea and have set the garden furniture for dining out as it looks to stay sunny. Nice that others are getting some nice weather as we have had it all week.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

@daz1107 I didn’t want to go off topic on the drinks thread but as a fellow whisky (and whiskey) enthusiast can I recommend one from a fairly new distillery. 

We were in Fife last year and visited Kingsbarns which is less than a decade old. Their Balcomie Sherry matured malt is really good and very well priced for the quality, I’d say cheap for the flavour profile.

Rosebank is also opening again in June after 25 years sleeping so looking forward to going for a tour there.

You are correct, the selection is pretty safe and pedestrian for anyone who knows and enjoys their whisky.

Ooh, thank you! A sensible response for once rather than a 'well you're wrong, you can't have an opinion, the cruise line is always right'! 

I'll look into those so thank you. 

I'm actually enjoying various ones at the moment; The English is one distilled in Norfolk and has a very subtle flavour, whilst Penderyn is a new(ish) Welsh distillery and is receiving good reviews. 

There are several Japanese ones which I enjoy as well, all having differing tastes. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are having friends for tea

Crikey, I know there's a north south divide on food but that sounds a bit extreme!  Are you roasting them or is it a barbie day?

• Haha 11

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, daz1107 said:

Ooh, thank you! A sensible response for once rather than a 'well you're wrong, you can't have an opinion, the cruise line is always right'! 

I'll look into those so thank you. 

I'm actually enjoying various ones at the moment; The English is one distilled in Norfolk and has a very subtle flavour, whilst Penderyn is a new(ish) Welsh distillery and is receiving good reviews. 

There are several Japanese ones which I enjoy as well, all having differing tastes. 

I like some of the Penderyn range and tried them while in Wales.

The St George English has some interesting offerings too. I’ll look out for the Norfolk, do you have a name (might be St George?)

I’ve tried numerous Japanese but haven’t found one quite to my taste.

We were in Ireland last year and came across Red Breast whiskey while trying a tasting flight in Galloway City. We had the 12 year old Pot and it was excellent. We asked mine host if the 25 year old would be better and the honest man said no,  just more expensive but not better. Had several bottles since.

And don’t get me started on Scottish offerings as I can (and have) bored people for hours in on the subject.

We had Cullen skink for dinner on Sunday as I managed to get fresh Arbroath Smokies and had a dram of Smokehead (cheap and cheerful from the Macleod stable of distillery’s) so it’s doesn’t have to be expensive to be good if paired with the right food!

Edited by Eglesbrech
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I like some of the Penderyn range and tried them while in Wales.

The St George English has some interesting offerings too. I’ll look out for the Norfolk, do you have a name (might be St George?)

I’ve tried numerous Japanese but haven’t found one quite to my taste.

We were in Ireland last year and came across Red Breast whiskey while trying a tasting flight in Galloway City. We had the 12 year old Pot and it was excellent. We asked mine host if the 25 year old would be better and the honest man said no,  just more expensive but not better. Had several bottles since.

And don’t get me started on Scottish offerings as I can (and have) bored people for hours in on the subject.

We had Cullen skink for dinner on Sunday as I managed to get fresh Arbroath Smokies and had a dram of Smokehead (cheap and cheerful from the Macleod stable of distillery’s) so it’s doesn’t have to be expensive to be good if paired with the right food!

The English is actually distilled by 'The English Whiskey Distillery', they do various varieties, but I like the standard one (just Google the English whiskey and you'll find it). 

I've had Smokehead and yes, it's not bad for a cheapie. 

We have a friend who used to host Whisky Tastings and he has over a hundred bottles, from all over the world. He very kindly keeps bringing me 50cl tasters! 

If you get the chance, try an Indian whiskey; he's brought me 2 different ones and they are excellent! 

• Thanks 1