P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Well, the good news is that the blossom is out

244A726C-02C1-4F30-91E1-0827AB98B166.thumb.jpeg.04834ddc6eabaa042ea71f4ce8fb8b22.jpeg

The bad news is that it’s blowing a hooley (again).  Who invited Franklin?  And are Gladys and Herman really waiting in the wings?  Pah!

Stay safe everyone and take particular care if you’re driving

Action shot of the same blossom.  Volume up. 💨 💨 💨 

• Like 2

Hi all,just spent the last 2 days organising and booking our Italian saga this year.In consultation with the online schengen stay calculator.Here we go, 5th March Eurotunnel,4 day 3 nights in France,Switzerland and Italy.35 days in Calabria,fly home,45 days UK,fly back,30 days Italy,fly home,45 days UK,fly back,60 days Italy,drive back 6th October.Ryanair flights total 400 quid the dearest being August,the others cheap as chips.Cruising in EU a nono until December but still 125 days in the sun not too bad,cheers,Brian.

• Like 11

Strong winds have now dropped, sun is leaking through clouds.

Thoughts are with those who are living on The Wharfage in Ironbridge who have been told to remove valuables etc to upper floors and prepare to evacuate their properties as the river is expected to over top the flood barriers in next few hours a peak of 7.0m is expected, higher that 2020 when they were almost breached.

Large parts of Shrewsbury town centre are also closed as the river continues to rise, towns bus station now closed along with 3 car parks. These once in a 100 year events are becoming every couple of years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Hi all,just spent the last 2 days organising and booking our Italian saga this year.In consultation with the online schengen stay calculator.Here we go, 5th March Eurotunnel,4 day 3 nights in France,Switzerland and Italy.35 days in Calabria,fly home,45 days UK,fly back,30 days Italy,fly home,45 days UK,fly back,60 days Italy,drive back 6th October.Ryanair flights total 400 quid the dearest being August,the others cheap as chips.Cruising in EU a nono until December but still 125 days in the sun not too bad,cheers,Brian.

That sounds really great! Something to look forward to, particularly in February. ☀️

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Those were the days! Scary! Amazing how many lorries were prepared to stop for students back then - university scarves paid for themselves many times over. Wife and I both hitched everywhere, in her case all over Europe, and we tried to repay that when we could afford a car. Times change, I suppose, and neither of our children ever hitched, even as students. It’s more or less died out now, apart from trade plates. More money around, I suppose.

In the early 1970s my then girlfriend and I hitchhiked to North Wales, with tent and rucksacks, a couple of interesting lifts one in Furniture removal van, the back of a pickup truck, but best one of all was being picked up by a couple driving a Bentley who dropped us off in Llandudno. We caught the train home. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, ann141 said:

I can remember as a student hitch hiking down the M6 from Lancaster in a lorry when the lorry in front went over on its side! No one was hurt fortunately but I was very nervous on the rest of the journey

I was at Lancaster from 1970 to 1974. I'm guessing that was quite a few years before you !

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I was at Lancaster from 1970 to 1974. I'm guessing that was quite a few years before you !

It was my twin who was at Lancaster from 1974 to 1977.I was at teacher training college in Warrington - straight down the M6

34 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Another sunny day here, lazy day sitting in the sun, we had a nice walk around the harbour this morning, such a lovely place to sit and watch the world go by.

P2210028.JPG

P2210022.JPG

P2210015.JPG

P2210012.JPG

P2210009.JPG

P2210007.JPG

Nice photos Phil.

Pleased you are both having a great, relaxing holiday.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That sounds really great! Something to look forward to, particularly in February. ☀️

Thanks Harry,we used to do it in 3 days in 8hr stints with only me driving.Now we do it in 6hr stints and get to sightsee our destinations in daylight.We try and pick different interesting places every time.Staying in Switzerland in a hotel I last stayed in on my own when I was 17.Bit of nostalgia for me,I will post why when we get there.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 5

Good morning I hope every one is ok :classic_smile:

Having a chat with my Sister yesterday and she seems upbeat about everything and was 

singing the praises of online shopping more so Argos ,she thinks they are amazing ,she was 

thinking of getting a bouncy castle for the kids when all this nasty weather goes away .

She was just about to click buy, when suddenly there it was, ready built sat in her garden.

The kids are chuffed to bits with it :classic_wink: 

In the real world, today is nice and sunny here and hope it's good where you are :classic_smile:

Take care and have a good day :classic_love:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Thanks Harry,we used to do it in 3 days in 8hr stints with only me driving.Now we do it in 6hr stints and get to sightsee our destinations in daylight.We try and pick different interesting places every time.Staying in Switzerland in a hotel I last stayed in on my own when I was 17.Bit of nostalgia for me,I will post why when we get there.Cheers,Brian.

Yes, please do post on your travels.  Italy and Switzerland are favourites of mine and from childhood, I knew I would love Switzerland and so it was the first destination for a holiday with friends, aged 17.  I then did a brief chambermaid stint in a Swiss resort and have visited many times since.  DH often worked for long spells in various places in Italy and I would often join him there.  Cruising has been an ‘ages and stages’ activity for us, kicked off by wanting to see Alaska and the Fjords about 7 years ago.  We still do trips to Central Europe though (well pre-pandemic) just not as often, or for as long, so I’ll enjoy your journey with you if you keep us posted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The wind has picked up again here, I have been watching the trees in the garden behind us, I just hope that they don't come down but if they do I hope the don't fall this way.  When I went shopping this morning I  noticed that there were quite a lot of trees that were not quite upright and one was actually down sand being cut up by some  workers.

• Like 3