P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Tipping it down in Horley. We are staying in a lovely hotel with an old flying friends funeral later today.  The news is awful.  As i said before the Black sea will be off limits with the Russian fleet there.  Was just wondering when Aeroflot will be banned from europe and USA.

Hope all goes well Jean. 

Andy 

• Like 2

Not a great day here.  Heavy rain in the night, which has revived all the awful mud, and now it’s bright and sunny but with a really cold, sharp wind.  The dog found a friend to run through the puddles with, so she had to have a bath on our return.  Spa days are one thing but enforced ablutions are not so much fun

I think it’s a good day for avoiding the TV.  Radio or internet news will tell you all you need(?) to know, without having to see awful things, or have one commentator after another chip in their two-penn’orth

I see there is a 90 minute programme on the great freeze of 1963 on Channel 5 tonight.  The BBC did something similar in the festive period, I think.  It was interesting to look back.  One of the biggest realisations that struck me was just how isolated people were.  Roads cut off and no other means of communication with phone lines down and phones out (if households even had a phone).  No internet, of course.  Cold and candles for a good while for a lot of people

Josy - some arnica cream might help on your bumped bits.  I expect you’re turning all sorts of colours now.  Keeping moving is probably a good idea, as long as you don’t overdo it.

Hope the funeral goes well Jean.  The upside of the sadness is that you get to meet up with old friends

Take care everyone.  Try not to stress.  Be kind

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

What an awful morning news wise.  My thoughts are with the Ukrainian people.

We visited the beautiful city of Kiev when we did a land tour in USSR in 1988.

It certainly puts into perspective the problems that we personally have.

I am praying for a rapid return to peace Ukraine.

I slipped last night and caught my left side on a table and am suffering a  bit of pain this morning.  David wanted to take me to A&E last night but I didn't think that it was necessary so I am taking co-codamol that I have left over from when I had sciatica.  I don't think that I will be able to lift anything heavy at the food bank today.

Take care everyone.

Sorry to hear about your fall, take it easy for a few days to recover.

A much cooler day here today. Just been baking this morning and doing a few household jobs. Dogs are waiting for their lunchtime walk now.

Take care everyone and stay safe

Michelle

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Tipping it down in Horley. We are staying in a lovely hotel with an old flying friends funeral later today.  The news is awful.  As i said before the Black sea will be off limits with the Russian fleet there.  Was just wondering when Aeroflot will be banned from europe and USA.

Hope all goes well today Jean. I know you mentioned in an earlier post that you were unsure about attending, re covid, so I'm pleased that you're able to be there. Take care.

Avril

• Like 4

Hoping the funeral goes as well as they can Jean. Josy get well soon.

Window colour duly chosen. Ordered them in Old Navy (!!!) with white interiors for the window windows. Those that are doors are Navy both sides. Just as I thought my trials were over I discover there are what appeared to be a multitude of handle choices got that dispatched then darn glass choices for bathrooms. Won't get those 3 hours back anytime soon. Much heartened this morning by a visit to the builder's merchants in Cromer where a man looked at me gone out when I said I had been sent to choose the navy wooden internal doors and did he have examples of all the colours of the "navy" ones. In a rich Norfolk burr he said "this is a builders merchants me luv - its them doors there (3 styles all the same colour)" I could have kissed him. In and out in 15 minutes.  

So pleased I am going to talk to the TA and maybe reward my patience with a short cruise before Hip No.2 in May. No windows or last stage of building work until later in year as lead times for everything is so long.

I guess I am not as tolerant as you, kalos.

However, all this seems so insignificant when thinking about the current dangers to effectively the whole of Europe or even the world, with a complete megalomaniac in charge of Russia nowadays.

Trying not to think of what could happen, because it almost certainly won't, but we are teetering on the edge at present.  And so lucky not to be living in the Ukraine, poor people.  They are even going into the underground lines for shelter, just as Londoners did in the second world war - which I can vaguely remember.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I hope that the funeral goes as well as these things can Jean.

I guess that Aeroflot will soon be  banned from many countries. Do you have friends who are Aeroflot crew ?  We flew with them from Moscow to Irkutsk when we went to  Lake Baikal and then back to Lenigrad with them, neither flights were experiences that I want to repeat.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Am hoping the funeral went as well as it could do Jean. They are never easy, but I hope you can enjoy catching up with some ex colleagues.

The Black Sea is one of my favourite destinations on a cruise. Loved Odessa with its grand old buildings……

• Like 3

It was a strange morning.  I can't believe how busy we were and how picky some people are.  We had people complaining this morning because they didn't like what we were putting their bags.  We had one man who emptied both of his bags on the table when we took them out to him and sorted through the items and rejected Asda Pasta sauce, Tesco washing up liquid, soap, deodorant and spaghetti.  He said  that he didn't want own brands, needless to say he was told that we could only give him what we had had donated..

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I guess that Aeroflot will soon be  banned from many countries.

I suppose there will be lots of Russian people who didn't want to see this conflict either.

Using your example Aeroflot crew who are just getting back to flying due to the pandemic 

layoffs will be worried about their jobs if there is nowhere to fly . They are just "Joe Public "

the same as the rest of us and want to lead a normal family life . So sad :classic_mellow:

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It was a strange morning.  I can't believe how busy we were and how picky some people are.  We had people complaining this morning because they didn't like what we were putting their bags.  We had one man who emptied both of his bags on the table when we took them out to him and sorted through the items and rejected Asda Pasta sauce, Tesco washing up liquid, soap, deodorant and spaghetti.  He said  that he didn't want own brands, needless to say he was told that we could only give him what we had had donated..

That is truly shocking. I’m stunned to read that. And the contrast with those genuinely in need is astounding. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

He obviously wasn't that needy. If he was he would have been grateful for any help offered. Good news is, more left for the genuine food bank users. 

I hope you've been looking after your hip Josy.

Avril

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I don't know how the applicability system works for Food Banks but surely people who do not appreciate the effort and donations made could be taken off the list.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

He obviously wasn't that needy. If he was he would have been grateful for any help offered. Good news is, more left for the genuine food bank users. 

I hope you've been looking after your hip Josy.

Avril

2 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I don't know how the applicability system works for Food Banks but surely people who do not appreciate the effort and donations made could be taken off the list.

I do have some sympathy with people who are unable to have their favourite brands and the good thing is that the majority of people are grateful for whatever they are given and if we are given non-essentials such as chocolates or sweets we will put a few extras into the bags particularly if they are going to a family with children.  We even have people who bring back their empty bags so that we can re-use them.  My friend who persuaded me to help out often says "There but for the grace God go I".  I feel privileged to be in a position where I can go out shopping to buy whatever I want whenever I want to without worrying about how much it is going to cost.

There is no list, no-one is turned away from the food bank, it is run by a church and it is always assumed that no-one would be there if they weren't in need.  Most people have been referred to the food bank by social services or a member of the church or their children's school.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

What an ungrateful so and so. I always buy own brands for the food bank, nothing wrong with that, it means you can donate more to the charity. When needs be I use own brands my self infact I prefer Asda/Mozzers sausage and beans over the branded ones. 😃

• Like 5

I watched the news earlier and saw Nato's Jens Stoltenberg's briefing. He spoke well but he didn't give me a feeling of confidence that any positive help would be forthcoming for Ukraine. Seeing the bombings and the masses of people crossing the border into Poland was heart wrenching. 

How can one meglomaniacal dictator be allowed to blackmail and threaten the western world again. This is 2022 not 1939 for goodness sake!!!  Will we never learn???

The thoughts of one (naive) woman.

Just ignore me, but I feel better now for venting.

Avril

• Like 21

1 hour ago, LynnForestgate said:

I am aware that some people, are understandably upset that they have to queue at a food bank.

They are still entitled to their pride Josy, and I am aware, more than most, of how to deal with people who reach out for help.

Some on this forum, may not be aware of my award winning charity work.

Instead of repeating conversations on here, which do no good at all Josy, why not think of the joy you are bringing into somebody's life today.

Well Done Josie

On a separate issue, I have a together planned and may or may  not be able to update my status during the evening time.

Apologies to those who will miss my contributions to the thread.

Your Friend

Lynn

xxxx

Please don't worry. I'm pretty sure we'll all be able to manage for a few hours.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

35 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I watched the news earlier and saw Nato's Jens Stoltenberg's briefing. He spoke well but he didn't give me a feeling of confidence that any positive help would be forthcoming for Ukraine. Seeing the bombings and the masses of people crossing the border into Poland was heart wrenching. 

How can one meglomaniacal dictator be allowed to blackmail and threaten the western world again. This is 2022 not 1939 for goodness sake!!!  Will we never learn???

The thoughts of one (naive) woman.

Just ignore me, but I feel better now for venting.

Avril

I think Avril that you were pointing out what , I hope, the vast majority in the UK are thinking. Unfortunately unless overthrown by force dictatorships like Russia are very likely to continue indefinitely.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think Avril that you were pointing out what , I hope, the vast majority in the UK are thinking. Unfortunately unless overthrown by force dictatorships like Russia are very likely to continue indefinitely.

Russia has not took kindly to it's own people protesting about the invasion today.

Lets hope they to get to live without fear as well one day soon .

images.jpg.18c2842c9dffc1b6f2de26919d531edc.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

Josy might you have a moment to DM me? 

Emma

@ccpmEmma, I have created a temporary email account that you can email me on with your email so that we can talk without being on a public forum.  I will delete it afterwards.

josyjump1953@gmail.com

The story behind the name is that my niece's daughter used to watch a program with a character named Josiejump when she was very small and 10 years later she still calls me Josyjump

17 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

@ccpmEmma, I have created a temporary email account that you can email me on with your email so that we can talk without being on a public forum.  I will delete it afterwards.

josyjump1953@gmail.com

The story behind the name is that my niece's daughter used to watch a program with a character named Josiejump when she was very small and 10 years later she still calls me Josyjump

Balamory, Balamory. What’s the story in Balamory…….

Nice bright coloured houses (in Tobermory).