P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Mrs W and I gave both tested positive.  

Felt a bit under the weather the last couple of days of our cruise, so kept ourselves to ourselves.

I had a sore throat for 48 hours, but no other symptoms,  other than being a bit lack lustre.

Mrs W had a chesty cough,  which has now gone, but her taste buds have gone awol. 

Overall, we've had worse colds, but accept that we have been fortunate.  

My feeling is  that however many tests are carried out prior to embarkation,  Covid will always be present on board. Mask wearing makes no real difference, and isolating people in cabins is shutting the stable door long after the horse has bolted. 

I am sorry to hear that you aren’t well.

As you say, Covid is always likely to get onboard, and will spread in the closed community of the ship.

It can’t be stopped completely, but maybe it can be restricted if people play their part.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but as soon as you felt a bit under the weather, I guess you suspected you had Covid. I know you said you kept yourselves to yourselves - not sure you mean that you stayed in your cabin. Or still went out for meals. In any event, there were probably several in the same position as you. All suspecting they had Covid, and either still went out for their meals or didn’t even bother to keep themselves to themselves at all, or didn’t bother with masks, or didn’t wear them properly. That ship was probably a hot bed of Covid by the end of the cruise.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Felt a bit under the weather the last couple of days of our cruise, so kept ourselves to ourselves.

I had a sore throat for 48 hours, but no other symptoms,  other than being a bit lack lustre.

Mrs W had a chesty cough,  which has now gone, but her taste buds have gone awol. 

My feeling is  that however many tests are carried out prior to embarkation,  Covid will always be present on board. Mask wearing makes no real difference, and isolating people in cabins is shutting the stable door long after the horse has bolted. 

I hope that you both feel better soon

7 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I am sorry to hear that you aren’t well.

As you say, Covid is always likely to get onboard, and will spread in the closed community of the ship.

It can’t be stopped completely, but maybe it can be restricted if people play their part.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but as soon as you felt a bit under the weather, I guess you suspected you had Covid. I know you said you kept yourselves to yourselves - not sure you mean that you stayed in your cabin. Or still went out for meals. In any event, there were probably several in the same position as you. All suspecting they had Covid, and either still went out for their meals or didn’t even bother to keep themselves to themselves at all, or didn’t bother with masks, or didn’t wear them properly. That ship was probably a hot bed of Covid by the end of the cruise.

Stating the obvious and assuming people will not do the right thing. Some will others will be selfish, that's life. Your attitude to cruising at this time is well known on this board. We are all adults and will make our own mind up as to cruise or not.

Its quite sunny already and to celebrate I am going to clean the kitchen, as you know I know how to enjoy myself. 

Unfortunately Brother has connected with the dachsies despite their best efforts and they are already gone but he is under pain of death (by barking) if he walks them too far.

Every where s heaving with holiday makers so no chance of lunch out as I haven't booked. Might try cheese and wine in the garden if it stays warm.

Hope everyone who is under the weather will start to recover soon

Emma

Well after being unwell since February had to cancel all cruises this year and wax lucky to be able to move them to summer 2024 with p and o realising early .Being diagnosed with ulcerated colitis .Ended in hospital out last week then tested positive covid caught in hospital. Anyone out there got any tips at moment eating like a horse after 

losing 2 stone guess its the steroids .Still very weak .Many thanks 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Stating the obvious and assuming people will not do the right thing. Some will others will be selfish, that's life. Your attitude to cruising at this time is well known on this board. We are all adults and will make our own mind up as to cruise or not.

I don’t think you know anything about my attitude to cruising.

Following Damian’s recent blog and several photos I have seen posted on another site, I was feeling happy about my upcoming cruise on Iona next March

That had been dented a little by the recent change in pre- cruise testing, but I am sure that will bed in just fine in the upcoming months.

However, as I have long suspected, the biggest challenge to overcome will be fellow passengers 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry about that, but hope you feel better soon. My taste buds were ok, but DW's went missing for a day or so. Sounds that your symptoms were similar to ours. Not pleasant, but.... hey ho. Sympathy for those that get it worse.

17 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I don’t agree with this. 
website states below 

Face – Whilst we highly recommend that guests wear masks on board, they are only required in the theatre, cinema, or if you visit the medical centre. Your mask must cover your nose and mouth and be of a good quality (ideally medical grade). Re-usable masks should be washed regularly, and visors and face shields aren’t accepted as a substitute for a face mask.

Off the ship, masks are required during embarkation, disembarkation and when using tender boats. Some destinations may also require you to wear masks when ashore and we recommend taking one with you whenever you disembark the ship.”

Our protocols are subject to change, and may do so on your cruise, as we continue to work with our experts and with government bodies across all the destinations we visit to ensure all of our practices evolve in line with latest advice.  You’ll find the latest information on these pages, and if you’ve booked we’ll let you know of any changes before your cruise.

now I get things change and I’m all for sticking to the rules but if I get a letter in my cabin I will not be happy. I specifically waited till this was on the website to book. I didn’t want to go if masks were still in place as to be honest I just don’t get how I can sit eating very close to people without a mask but can’t walk past people without one. 
they have stated that if their policy changes they will tell me- and that’s fine if they tell me on the boat but if they are still not updating their website to this effect then I actually feel like I’ve been mis sold. 

It cannot be one rule on the website for sales and another on board. 

There are inconsistencies such as mask-wearing and social distancing in the theatre but not in Carmens as there, you could drink. However, I think the crackdown was due to the previous cruise having so many cases they ran short of crew. Masks also mandatory on coaches.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Well said Bob......hang on a bit though.... didn't you call me sanctimonious 163 days ago. You are right though.🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Well said Bob......hang on a bit though.... didn't you call me sanctimonious 163 days ago. You are right though.🤣

163 days ago, doesn't time fly ?😄  I can't believe you counted the days, perhaps it's on you calendar !!!!

Lifes too short so in the spirit of Easter, I'll withdraw that comment - friends ? 🙂

1 hour ago, Host Sharon said:

There are inconsistencies such as mask-wearing and social distancing in the theatre but not in Carmens as there, you could drink. However, I think the crackdown was due to the previous cruise having so many cases they ran short of crew. Masks also mandatory on coaches.

it’s not the mask wearing that bothers me. It’s when I get something different to what I booked/orders with no ownership to update. I’m hoping yours was an isolated requirement as if it’s happening all the time they need to update the website. Luckily I’m not on a coach. Just have to suffer the 4 hour drive with my monsters instead. It’s all too late to back out now so just going to have to worry about it when it happens.
Knowing my luck I’ll not pass the testing when we get down there. 

14 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

163 days ago, doesn't time fly ?😄  I can't believe you counted the days, perhaps it's on you calendar !!!!

Lifes too short so in the spirit of Easter, I'll withdraw that comment - friends ? 🙂

BFF...🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

it’s not the mask wearing that bothers me. It’s when I get something different to what I booked/orders with no ownership to update. I’m hoping yours was an isolated requirement as if it’s happening all the time they need to update the website. Luckily I’m not on a coach. Just have to suffer the 4 hour drive with my monsters instead. It’s all too late to back out now so just going to have to worry about it when it happens.

Once you get on the ship you will see it was all worth it. Monsters ?. They sound like little angels, I'm sure they do exactly as they are told.

53 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Hope you all have a lovely time, I s as m sure you will. We have a long drive like you down to Southampton if we sail from there, a bit of a pain but part of the holiday too.
In August we are taking four grandchildren to Salou for a week without mum & dad and  next year sailing on Anthem with them all without mum & dad. What have we let ourselves in for?

Michelle

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Once you get on the ship you will see it was all worth it. Monsters ?. They sound like little angels, I'm sure they do exactly as they are told.

depends on who they are with. They behave the least for me. It’s attitude more than anything with having two girls. Had words with the eldest yesterday and all I’m thinking is she is 7 how am I going to handle her at 17! 

and littlest, I feel sorry for whoever is in her orbit cos they will get sucked in to a never ending conversation. 
She was teaching this 60 year old woman yesterday how to play a game on her iPad for about 15mins while my hair was getting done. 

to be fair though they are better behaved than most in their school so can’t be too hard on them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Hope you all have a lovely time, I s as m sure you will. We have a long drive like you down to Southampton if we sail from there, a bit of a pain but part of the holiday too.
In August we are taking four grandchildren to Salou for a week without mum & dad and  next year sailing on Anthem with them all without mum & dad. What have we let ourselves in for?

Michelle

I think they behave better for grandparents. I think it’s great your taking them. Least at the end you can give them back 😂 I’ve still got a long weekend of them at home while I work before they go back to school. 

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

When I said coaches, I also meant shuttles and excursion buses.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I think they behave better for grandparents. I think it’s great your taking them. Least at the end you can give them back 😂 I’ve still got a long weekend of them at home while I work before they go back to school. 

I think you are probably right. They are coming to stay for two nights over Easter too. I have just bought all the stuff for an Easter egg hunt in the garden

Michelle

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I think you are probably right. They are coming to stay for two nights over Easter too. I have just bought all the stuff for an Easter egg hunt in the garden

Michelle

we have ours in the house with footprint but I’ve got to remake my sponge for it. Then clean up after it. Least I’m not working this year. I usually am not here at Easter. You sound like great grandparents taking them and treating all the time. 

5 hours ago, Bin man said:

Well after being unwell since February had to cancel all cruises this year and wax lucky to be able to move them to summer 2024 with p and o realising early .Being diagnosed with ulcerated colitis .Ended in hospital out last week then tested positive covid caught in hospital. Anyone out there got any tips at moment eating like a horse after 

losing 2 stone guess its the steroids .Still very weak .Many thanks 

Poor old you - it's not a pleasant disease. After about 25 experience with a close relative who has pancolitis, the most serious form of the disease, a couple of things spring to mind: 

As you're on steroids, you should qualify for the current round of 4th booster vaccines (assuming you haven't already had it due to age or similar). 

Worth joining Crohn's and Colitis UK for up to date information on new research and developments; there have been a large number in the last 25 years, most recently (I think) the biologics - these work for my relation who has not had a hospital admission since starting on them about four years ago. However, they are the last line of treatment (or that's what we were told) as they are very expensive plus many people are managed successfully on other treatments.

Steroids will make you eat like a horse; this will go when the steroid treatment eventually stops (I'm sure you've been told you must not simply stop taking them; they must be tailed off slowly).

Does your hospital have a team of IBD nurses and have you been given their contact details? If not, imagine your GP can help. They're an invaluable source of telephone advice if/when needed.

The very best of luck and I hope you're one of the lucky ones who never gets another flare-up. 

• Like 4

Best wishes to anyone still suffering with Covid or not well at the moment and fingers crossed to anyone cruising soon that you all stay safe and have a great time. Have a lovely Easter weekend everyone and .ay the sun shine !

• Like 5