P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, DamianG said:

Thank you Gill and Annie. We've just been to the vet and they've given us some recovery dog food and some suggestions for his future diet. 

We'll also research all your suggestions.

Much appreciated.

Damian

I would take vet advice on nutrition with a pinch of salt….. they will often recommend something like Hills or Royal Canin….😢 

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

I would take vet advice on nutrition with a pinch of salt….. they will often recommend something like Hills or Royal Canin….😢 

Good luck.

Exactly what I was about to say... just check out the nutrition ratings on Hills on AADF, for a start... 

A great deal of veterinary advice on dog nutrition is simply unforgivable, particularly when they proceed to flog you the dreadful stuff.:classic_sad:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

Quick question for the dog owners please. Did your dog experience any tummy issues after switching to adult food?

Teddy is fine but has had a few tummy issues over the last few weeks and we suspect that this coincides with switching to adult dog food. We also wonder if it's because we swapped to a cheaper supermarket brand which was recommended to us.

We've found a company online that supposedly offers a tailored diet but of course it comes with a price to much.

All advice or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Damian

Hi Damian. 

Yes, my Teddy has had various tummy issues from puppyhood really (he's 5 now). I give him Royal Canin Gastrointestinal. He has dry food for 5 days and wet for 2. It is expensive but so worth the cost.

My daughter has a new pup (5 months) - another cockapoo - and her vet advised James Wellbeloved from pup moving on to the adult feed when the time is right. This vet said a definite no to the cheaper supermarket brands. The pup has been very happy on James Wellbeloved.

Good luck.

Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

@grapau27how is Sarah today ?  I hope she is feeling a bit better.

She was in bed all day and her painkillers are working well.

We were with her for several hours and Pauline thoroughly cleaned her apartment and we brought a boot full of food etc for her.

Her injections are booked for next week.

Good luck for you next Tuesday and prayers 🙏 everything is okay for you.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Minus 4 here right now and so very cold out of doors. We are cooried inside with the fire on and hot drinks. I don’t know how some will manage with the current fuel prices and this level of cold over a protracted period.

Funny before Christmas it was all mulled wine and egg nog. Now it’s a hot toddy or hot chocolate with a splash of brandy. That and stodgy food to keep cosy. 

Tonight it is butter bean, chorizo and cod stew. The smell of garlic is already permeating the house.

Stay warm and well all.

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We were with her for several hours and Pauline thoroughly cleaned her apartment and we brought a boot full of food etc for her.

What a lovely post Graham. Sarah is so lucky to have you and Pauline for guardian angels. I know you will say it works both ways because you are a very kind man but I think you're both great.

Good luck to Sarah next week and do let us know how she gets on.

Best wishes. Jane.xx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beckett said:

What a lovely post Graham. Sarah is so lucky to have you and Pauline for guardian angels. I know you will say it works both ways because you are a very kind man but I think you're both great.

Good luck to Sarah next week and do let us know how she gets on.

Best wishes. Jane.xx

Thank you for your nice words Jane.

Graham xx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Hi Damian. 

Yes, my Teddy has had various tummy issues from puppyhood really (he's 5 now). I give him Royal Canin Gastrointestinal. He has dry food for 5 days and wet for 2. It is expensive but so worth the cost.

My daughter has a new pup (5 months) - another cockapoo - and her vet advised James Wellbeloved from pup moving on to the adult feed when the time is right. This vet said a definite no to the cheaper supermarket brands. The pup has been very happy on James Wellbeloved.

Good luck.

Best wishes. Jane.x 

Our Charlie had some allergy tests done because he was having food problems. We found out that he is allergic to beef, chicken and turkey which is quite a common combination apparently. He has lamb and duck but we had to read the labels carefully because many tinned varieties of lamb or duck also contain chicken and beef (it is cheaper) and ‘animal derivatives’ which is likely to be derived from chicken.

It is also a problem finding biscuits and treats. Labelling on many of them are not specific to what meat or derivative they include. I contacted the maker of ‘Dentastix’ who didn’t tell me what was in them. All they could tell me is that they probably would not suit Charlie because of his allergies. Vegetarian and even vegan treats and chews seem to be OK. My advice is to find something that suits and stick to it. It may take some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Glad her painkillers are working well and that she has her injections booked for next week.

I am sure she appreciates everything you and Pauline do for her, you are both very kind and compassionate people

Michelle

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It must be very frightening when you live on your own and can't get around. She will be so grateful to you. I sincerely hope the injections work for her. She is too young to be having worries like this 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Thanks Jane & Pete for your advice. We are looking at all the suggestions & really appreciate everyone taking time to share their experiences.

Damian

You're welcome Damian. Our pets are so important to us and we owe them a lovely, happy, comfortable life. Do let us know what you find suits your Teddy best. Have a good day and a good weekend. Best wishes. Jane.xx

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Thanks Jane & Pete for your advice. We are looking at all the suggestions & really appreciate everyone taking time to share their experiences.

Damian

It’s so difficult getting the right food that suits them isn’t it? 
We have a 12 year old golden retriever that has a sensitive stomach. We use Healthy Options food for him(on internet). We mix it with fresh chicken( we buy and cook him a fresh chicken each week), rice and a few veg, it seems to keep his stomach settled. 

Hope you get something sorted 

Michelle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Thanks Michelle

Basically, it’s trial and error. I would first decide on for type (wet, dry, raw or home cooked) and then maybe use just one protein that isn’t known to cause allergies (maybe avoid chicken). If that suits then move onto another protein.

A complete minefield and every dog owner will give you different advice 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Basically, it’s trial and error. I would first decide on for type (wet, dry, raw or home cooked) and then maybe use just one protein that isn’t known to cause allergies (maybe avoid chicken). If that suits then move onto another protein.

A complete minefield and every dog owner will give you different advice 🤣

I am glad we have never had any pets, as you say it seems a minefield in respect of finding the right food. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

Unfortunately it gets worse as pets get older our experiences with both cats and dogs has been that they seem to develop digestive problems and lots of other more minor problems when they get into their teens but we would never have have given up with them until the vet told us that it was time to let go.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

A complete minefield and every dog owner will give you different advice

Growing up as a kid we had Alsatian's and a Labrador.

When it came to meal times they had a tin of Chappie each with a good handful of 

Winalot biscuits ,with a Vetzyme tablet thrown in .

Dogs loved it but I hated the smell of that tinned meat 🙂

• Like 3

Sad news overnight with the death of David Crosby, founder member of the Byrds, member of supergroup Crosby, Still, Nash & Young, I was never fortunate to see them perform live, but they were a part of my life in late teens early twenties, I used to play Deja Vu and Suite Judy Blie Eyes from Crosby Stills and Nash first album to death, I still have the albums today. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/david-crosby-dead-obituary-1234664235/

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kalos said:

When it came to meal times they had a tin of Chappie each with a good handful of 

A mate of mine went on the Winalot diet, every time he felt peckish he ate a Winalot biscuit, didn't do him much good as he got run over by a bus when he ran across the road to sniff a poodles ar$e.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, kalos said:

On Phil and Holly 2 days ago there was a revenge story where a woman fed her old man a dog meat pie and he asked for seconds and more gravy.Wonder what her "normal" cooking is like.

• Haha 12

Hi all, getting near to our annual exodus to Italy.Getting a few home comforts,the mrs got a few tins of spaghetti in Sainsbury own brand 21p Heinz 90p.Do you think the "natives" would take to it if we introduced it to them.She loves spag toast for brekkie.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi all, getting near to our annual exodus to Italy.Getting a few home comforts,the mrs got a few tins of spaghetti in Sainsbury own brand 21p Heinz 90p.Do you think the "natives" would take to it if we introduced it to them.She loves spag toast for brekkie.

Eerrmm 🤔.............. no! 😁

Sis

• Like 2
  • Haha 2