P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

11 minutes ago, Devon born and bred said:

Some things are no joking matter. I have seen first hand injuries being caused, small children being petrified by seagulls stealing their food and damage caused all because visitors don't understand they are vermin and dangerous, spreading diseases like e-coli and salmonella.

A few years ago there were quite a few reports of gulls attacking. One instance was of a grandmother waiting at the school gates, in Helston,  who was suddenly attacked, and also a dog in someon'e back garden was attacked. Both suffered injuries.

We can't eat in the garden without being watched. I have been sitting at the table and OH had gone in and the next minute there was a gull on his chair!

I've mentioned before that they will come knocking at our back door and have recently started knocking on my son's bedroom window as he left it open once with some sweets on the windowsill.

They are public enemy number 1!  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Devon born and bred said:

Some things are no joking matter. I have seen first hand injuries being caused, small children being petrified by seagulls stealing their food and damage caused all because visitors don't understand they are vermin and dangerous, spreading diseases like e-coli and salmonella.

As long as they don't poo on my car. In Mevagissey one pooed on my brand new wetsuit. Blue it was...the wetsuit, not the seagull.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devon born and bred said:

Surely not all visitors are vermin.!

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As long as they don't poo on my car. In Mevagissey one pooed on my brand new wetsuit. Blue it was...the wetsuit, not the seagull.

My car is blue and nine times out of ten has white spots!!

Just now, purplesea said:

Perhaps it's the blue. We get magpies and I tend to get purple spots.

Posted (edited)

Last day in North Wales so we headed to the seaside town of Barmouth. It was blooming freezing on the beach, sure it was colder than on our last visit in October. No wonder the bloke depicted on the carved head sculpture looks miserable. 

IMG_3761.jpeg

IMG_3763.jpeg

IMG_3764.jpeg

IMG_3765.jpeg

IMG_3767.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_3775.jpeg

IMG_3776.jpeg

IMG_3777.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3779.jpeg

IMG_3780.jpeg

IMG_3782.jpeg

IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3781.jpeg

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 12

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, purplesea said:

When I had a blue car it also attracted a lot of bird poo.

I now have a red car and that seems to attract passing bees dropping their pollen.

Edited by Angel57
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Surely not all visitors are vermin.!

Only when they feed seagulls. I think you know what Db&b is saying. Feeding seagulls is no joking matter. It is a complete no no. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Last day in North Wales so we headed to the seaside town of Barmouth. It was blooming freezing on the beach, sure it was colder than on our last visit in October. No wonder the bloke depicted on the carved head sculpture looks miserable. 

IMG_3761.jpeg

IMG_3763.jpeg

IMG_3764.jpeg

IMG_3765.jpeg

IMG_3767.jpeg

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_3775.jpeg

IMG_3776.jpeg

IMG_3777.jpeg

IMG_3778.jpeg

IMG_3779.jpeg

IMG_3780.jpeg

IMG_3782.jpeg

IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3781.jpeg

I think a seagull pooed on his car and nicked his chips.

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Watch it Zap,I can see the Grockle word coming your way.

At least I won't get a mention on KUMB, but plenty of Seagulls in Barking.🤣

Seagulls maybe on some folks naughty/ pest list but they are also

on an amber and red list for survival and that's no laughing matter for

them either ,through no fault of their own.

We have several country parks where family's take their kids to feed

the swans and ducks and some gulls have made it their home ,simply 

to get a share of the food offered to the ducks etc.

Think they should call them "land- gulls" as doubt  some have even 

been out to sea , the nearest coast is around 60 miles away .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

We get wood pigeons. A fact of life, but we don't live in a wood. Of course visitors shouldn't feed seagulls. I would guess that all the takeaways and many holiday lets in costal villages are owned by locals. Many folk earn their living due to visitors.   This little fellow was simply having a quiet coffee. I think Angel57 must now him. He lives in Weymouth.

IMG_20220516_105942_3-edit-20240529155813.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We get wood pigeons. A fact of life, but we don't live in a wood.

And I bet they are not  they are not made of wood 😉

House sparrows ,they cant get on the housing list around here .

Nothing is what it seems when you take a name too seriously  is it ? 

Have you ever seen a silent disco that was quiet ?  

Have you ever seen a mum go into a baby changing room and come

out with another baby ? 🤔🙃

Life's not that simple 😃

• Haha 11

We have seagulls swooping around here. We are well away from the coast so they are definitely inland gulls and a real nuisance.  I was on Tesco car park yesterday and there were loads of them.

I went to the Asian supermarket this afternoon to get some fresh spices because we are having curry this evening.  I thought that it would be a good walk until I was half way home and the heavens opened so I was soaked but I suppose the gulls feel at home .

• Like 2

Have to admit I do think that close up seagulls really are beautiful birds when they aren't trying to rip your food from your hands or circling ready to attack some unsuspecting picnicer. Some people don't help themselves though and just sit on Llandudno front with all their packed lunches on show ... of you excuse the expression .. and wonder why the prom looks like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock The Birds. Must admit saw that film as a child and it has to be one of the scariest things I've ever seen ever ...Still makes me cringe now.

Re feeding seagulls .... has to be a no on the coast as they are quite frightening 

In land they love to live with the ducks near us and have their food !!

• Like 6

OH decided that the seagulls were becoming annoying so he looked up a seagull calls and found one that was supposed to cause them “distress”.

Outside with the iPad he put the, according to him “scare the seagulls away” noise at full blast.

We ended up with every seagull in a five mile radius hovering over the house. The distress noise apparently signifies that the gull needs help so the others come flying in to assist. So we had more noisy, poopy, annoying gulls than ever!

• Haha 14

I have just seen that there has been an eruption of the volcano in Iceland.  We have been to Iceland and feel sorry for the people whose homes are in the path of the lava. It must be awful to not know whether you will have a home to come back to.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Good evening.

It has been a pleasant weather day until 20 minutes ago and the rain is pouring down now.

Living near to the coast I see lots of sea gulls and people getting out of their cars with loafs of bread and feeding them.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

We have a wildlife sactuary near us and they will let the eagles and hawks fly free at times, which the seagulls don't like. It's just a pity they don't fly this way often enough!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We have a wildlife sactuary near us and they will let the eagles and hawks fly free at times, which the seagulls don't like. It's just a pity they don't fly this way often enough!

We went to a bear sanctuary in Alaska .Lots of Eagles in the trees. They swoop down and eat the bears food. On balance I would prefer a seagull pinching my pasty

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, kalos said:

Or just call them gulls, if you look them up in a bird identification book, the word Sea isn’t mentioned. 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/a-z?search=Gull&page=1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have just seen that there has been an eruption of the volcano in Iceland.  We have been to Iceland and feel sorry for the people whose homes are in the path of the lava. It must be awful to not know whether you will have a home to come back to.

It’s the same area as the earlier eruptions this year, the town of Grindavik and the Blue Lagoon Spa have been evacuated, most people in the town had moved out in November last year when the previous eruption began. The previous eruption was declared over, just over a week ago, but the volcano took no notice. 

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/iceland/reykjanes-peninsula/current-activity.html

Edited by Snow Hill

12 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I had a rather pleasant but emotional evening giving our club manager the send off he deserves, including a stunning rendition of You’ll Never Walk Alone from Alfie Boe.

IMG_2445.jpeg

I was there too! Absolutely brilliant night with laughter and tears. What a guy! I floated home to Derbyshire feeling so thankful to have shared this night.20240528_220855.thumb.jpg.7ea68357933af1aaf3f58b7f7e103f1d.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Or just call them gulls, if you look them up in a bird identification book, the word Sea isn’t mentioned. 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/a-z?search=Gull&page=1

When you look up gull ... 

What is a sea gull bird called?

Gull - Wikipedia

Gulls, or colloquially seagulls, are seabirds of the family Laridae in the suborder Lari. They are most closely related to the terns and skimmers and distantly related to auks, and even more distantly to waders.

I was once told the good lord was not happy with his two prototypes of the 

gull so scrapped A & B ..hence 😉

Off to find a Shag  .I thought I spotted one at Cleethorpes once 🙃🙂

Hope everyone has a good day 🙂

• Haha 3