P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think if we are adaptable re food it will perfectly fine. We may not get personal favourite dishes but as you say we won’t starve.

The only thing that slightly concerns me is access to fresh vegetables as we eat a lot of vegetarian food and frozen is not the same for making many dishes, too wet. I presume however that we will be fine for staples grown here, carrot and turnip stew anyone🥕

Ah, the wonderful carrot, so versatile. Gran was a cook in service and she taught me to cook. She learned a lot of tricks and having been through both world wars new how to make our simple British staples work to make tasty, healthy meals. Her two main pieces of advice were, use grated carrot and/or turnip to bulk out minced meats in pies etc, and use herbs and spices to give flavour. One of her dishes that I cook often is a vegetable casserole using any root vegetables available at the time and frozen garden peas slowly cooked in a vegetable stock with plenty of mixed herbs. I serve it with cabbage, cauli or sprouts, whichever's available at the time. Brian(bro) passed on a dumpling recipe using olive oil in place of suet, and I now put those on top of the casserole as well. No meat, tasty, healthy, ingredients always available and inexpensive.

Avril

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Ah, the wonderful carrot, so versatile. Gran was a cook in service and she taught me to cook. She learned a lot of tricks and having been through both world wars new how to make our simple British staples work to make tasty, healthy meals. Her two main pieces of advice were, use grated carrot and/or turnip to bulk out minced meats in pies etc, and use herbs and spices to give flavour. One of her dishes that I cook often is a vegetable casserole using any root vegetables available at the time and frozen garden peas slowly cooked in a vegetable stock with plenty of mixed herbs. I serve it with cabbage, cauli or sprouts, whichever's available at the time. Brian(bro) passed on a dumpling recipe using olive oil in place of suet, and I now put those on top of the casserole as well. No meat, tasty, healthy, ingredients always available and inexpensive.

Avril

I make something similar. Tasty, healthy and filling and yes I love dumplings.

I have a potato Pete cookbook. Lots of interesting recipes in there.

I also make a nice bean loaf with grated carrots, onion, ginger, sunflower seeds etc. Usually kidney and haricot bean.

A bit of imagination goes a long way. I think we will all be doing a “ready, steady, cook” from the bag of whatever veg we can get. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I thought he said "Stick around" to the bad guy in Commando when he stuck him with the length of scaffold pole? 

I didn't realise Arnie was a scaffolder  as well :classic_unsure: but the guy took the advice and did

stick around :classic_smile:

Should we tell Rodger to keep away from scaffolding as well ? :classic_wink:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I have a potato Pete cookbook.

I haven't heard of that one. Going away to look for it now😊 I'm back. I didn't realise it's a WW2 cook book, but there a few others that are similar. I always get an Amazon gift card at christmas so I'll have a good browse later. I love different cookbooks.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think if we are adaptable re food it will perfectly fine. We may not get personal favourite dishes but as you say we won’t starve.

The only thing that slightly concerns me is access to fresh vegetables as we eat a lot of vegetarian food and frozen is not the same for making many dishes, too wet. I presume however that we will be fine for staples grown here, carrot and turnip stew anyone🥕

I made carrot and butternut squash soup for lunch, a favourite of my husbandy he hates turnips so I will have to stock up on butternut squash.

Edited by Josy1953

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think it’s too late to stockpile now, as it’ll turn into panic buying. 

I’ve been buying a few extra items for months when stocks were plentiful, so I now have supplies in the house, if it all goes a bit crazy.

I’ve prepared in the same way for each ‘no deal’ deadline. When it didn’t happen, I ate my supplies, and then started again for the next deadline.

I feel cross that I feel it is necessary to take this action. 

But on the other hand I was pleased to have taken this action, as I didn’t have to worry about shopping in March, and vindicated from the sneers of the Project Fear brigade, as we have learned that it doesn’t take much for a panic to start. 

We won't be panic buying. We don't need to as the Sadam Hussein cupboard is still pretty full.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I made carrot and butternut squash soup for lunch, a favourite of my husbandy he hates turnips so I will have to stock up on butternut squash.

Carrot and coriander is our favourite, adding an apple and a pinch of chilli flakes spices it up nicely.

• Like 2

Back in Italy my OH used to make soups out of literally any leftover raw veg.The village fruit and veg guy in the market laughed when she made him cut off the broccoli leaves before weighing.They don't waste anything and must admit quite tasty when we tried them.Things like fennel fronds and wild garlic readily available at the side of the road.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I haven't heard of that one. Going away to look for it now😊 I'm back. I didn't realise it's a WW2 cook book, but there a few others that are similar. I always get an Amazon gift card at christmas so I'll have a good browse later. I love different cookbooks.

Avril

Yes, I mentioned it because you mentioned your Granny’s Ww2 recipes.

I hasten to add that I won it in the 1980s in a cooking competition at the Rural, sponsored by the potato marketing board. It is an original copy but I was not around for the war!

Prize winning stovies and potato scones no less. Someone else made potato fudge and it was actually quite nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Back in Italy my OH used to make soups out of literally any leftover raw veg.The village fruit and veg guy in the market laughed when she made him cut off the broccoli leaves before weighing.They don't waste anything and must admit quite tasty when we tried them.Things like fennel fronds and wild garlic readily available at the side of the road.

Lots of nice fresh veg in Italy. Porcetta is nice.🤣

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

My dad used to make a 'scotch broth', I think because he put some barley in it. I was cooked up in in a huge black iron pot with a lid. Stock made out of ham shank, boiled every day and stuff constantly added. The flavour just got better and better. Vegetables in season only cos that's all we had in the 1950's 🤤

did a stock take yesterday and have enough food to last at least 7 weeks 😱

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes, I mentioned it because you mentioned your Granny’s Ww2 recipes.

I hasten to add that I won it in the 1980s in a cooking competition at the Rural, sponsored by the potato marketing board. It is an original copy but I was not around for the war!

Prize winning stovies and potato scones no less. Someone else made potato fudge and it was actually quite nice.

I googled it and it recommends 1lb of spuds a day to keep healthy,lol.

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

Am I being cynical, or do I smell a last minute agreement to do a deal, which will suddenly emerge and they will all look like heroes?

That made me smile as I've just said exactly the same thing to hubby. Smoke and mirrors. The deal was probably done months ago but if they all look like they are being tough it is a win win for them. Oh I am cynical too. 😉

To be honest though, as someone who voted for Brexit (and still thinks it is a good idea) I do think that a decent deal would be good for both 'sides' in all of this. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

That made me smile as I've just said exactly the same thing to hubby. Smoke and mirrors. The deal was probably done months ago but if they all look like they are being tough it is a win win for them. Oh I am cynical too. 😉

To be honest though, as someone who voted for Brexit (and still thinks it is a good idea) I do think that a decent deal would be good for both 'sides' in all of this. 

Apparently German Industry have flagged up to their politicos that 460,000 German jobs could go. I didn't realise the 30% of the cod that is used in British chippies comes frozen from Iceland, the country not the shop. A trade deal with Norway and Iceland is signed. 57 trade deals are already signed. It was always said that any deal with EU would not be agreed til the last minute. Lots of good news out there.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Apparently German Industry have flagged up to their politicos that 460,000 German jobs could go. I didn't realise the 30% if the cod that is used in British chippies comes frozen from Iceland, the country not the shop. A trade deal with Norway and Iceland is signed. 57 trade deals are already signed. It was always said that any deal with EU would not be agreed til the last minute. Lots of good news out there.

Now as a child we used to go to Bridlington and watch the trawlers come in and unload the catch of the day. It was an amazing sight. The fish and chips --- you couldn't beat it. Oh for those days and that atmosphere again in local ports for our fishermen. Similarly, we need to look after our farmers though.

Difficult times and I suppose it is easy for the likes of me to be a 'keyboard warrior' and comment on here, as it is others' livelihoods. Our jobs (me and Mr Presto2) are secure - must be such worrying times for those whose jobs will be affected.

On a completely different note - loved the days when pottery on sail from our Stoke on Trent factories was really made in Stoke on Trent. Those were the days ..

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

On a completely different note - loved the days when pottery on sail from our Stoke on Trent factories was really made in Stoke on Trent. Those were the days ..

I collect Spode Christmas Tree China and only realised a couple of years ago that it’s not made in Stoke on Trent anymore. All the recent pieces are made abroad now, such a shame.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Now as a child we used to go to Bridlington and watch the trawlers come in and unload the catch of the day. It was an amazing sight. The fish and chips --- you couldn't beat it. Oh for those days and that atmosphere again in local ports for our fishermen. Similarly, we need to look after our farmers though.

Difficult times and I suppose it is easy for the likes of me to be a 'keyboard warrior' and comment on here, as it is others' livelihoods. Our jobs (me and Mr Presto2) are secure - must be such worrying times for those whose jobs will be affected.

My husband still turns over crockery to see where it was made. 😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

My husband still turns over crockery to see where it was made. 😄

We both do -- every restaurant no matter how posh and every cruise line. The staff think it is amusing . I think they think we are potty !!! (If you excuse the word). The saddest thing is to go to our factory shops and struggle to find anything made locally. 😞 

1 minute ago, purplesea said:

That made me smile. At my mother's the other day we were trying to read the back of some cutlery as she thought might be silver.

Yip we do that too !!!

Just had another thought though --- P&O crockery in the MDR is Steelite and we know that this is made in good old Burslem, so good on P&O

• Like 2