P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

For me Jamie or Bill should go, preferably Jamie.  Unfortunately Jamie apparently has a huge social media following so he will probably survive so I think it will be either Ranvir or Bill.

I think that he winner has to be either Maisie or Hrvy.

Nothing to do with dancing, but I just wondering how your niece and family are doing Josy.

Avril

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Eldest daughter staying put in Newcastle and entertaining her mother-in-law (who has my deepest sympathy, as eldest daughter and husband are, by no stretch of the imagination, able to cook).😂

I will have to dust off The "Kalos Christmas Cookery " book off to help the poor souls out :classic_unsure:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have been listening to a politics broadcast this morning (sad I know) and it had me wondering whether people are planning to have get togethers with their family during the 5 day amnesty next week.  Our families have decided not to get together and we will all stick to telephone calls, Zoom and FaceTime because no-one wants to take any risk, as my sister said yesterday she would rather give up one Christmas to keep everyone in her life for many future Christmases.

I don't think the amnesty really works for most people if you followed the rules correctly. 

We have our bubble and are sticking to it, inviting others who are parts of other bubbles who are parts of other bubbles breaks the rules. 

We won't take any further risk, but many will. 

Andy 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Did you see the lovely red sky last night ?  If was stunning when I went to close the curtains.

I must confess that I missed that. Perhaps it was Fenton or Hanley burning down. 🥴 Where we are, we do see some excellent sunsets over the fields. Don’t they say Red sky at night, shepherd’s delight. The poor sheep in the fields opposite won’t agree with that today. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I don't think the amnesty really works for most people if you followed the rules correctly. 

We have our bubble and are sticking to it, inviting others who are parts of other bubbles who are parts of other bubbles breaks the rules. 

We won't take any further risk, but many will. 

Andy 

But when you consider the rules, they are very difficult. My eldest son is in our bubble from earlier because he stopped here over lockdown when he was furloughed. He will be here for a few days over Christmas in our bubble. My youngest son, wife and daughters will be coming on Boxing Day as a second bubble of the three we are allowed. They are spending Christmas Day at our daughter in law’s parents which means my daughter in law’s parents will also have to be in our group of bubbles, even though we won’t see them, because bubbles cannot overlap. When they announced it, it all seemed so simple. 🤔

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pete14 said:

But when you consider the rules, they are very difficult. My eldest son is in our bubble from earlier because he stopped here over lockdown when he was furloughed. He will be here for a few days over Christmas in our bubble. My youngest son, wife and daughters will be coming on Boxing Day as a second bubble of the three we are allowed. They are spending Christmas Day at our daughter in law’s parents which means my daughter in law’s parents will also have to be in our group of bubbles, even though we won’t see them, because bubbles cannot overlap. When they announced it, it all seemed so simple. 🤔

That's my point Pete, it is either too confusing or unworkable. 

Michelle has 2 Dad's, one is in our bubble, the other not. He is in other bubbles but wants to see us all, but it just doesn't add up. 

Our daughter wants to see her boyfriend and his family, but they are in other bubbles and this would exceed the limits. 

Too confusing, let alone worrying, so we are just sticking in our original bubble. 

Andy 

• Like 2

It feels ever so much like me discussing sex with my kids when AIDS came on the scene

”Every time you go with someone you’re sharing the bugs of every, every person they have been with, and every person they have ever been with and everyone that that person has been with - and so on”

🙄

I told the kids it was their decision but I didn’t think that was worth it.  I don’t think a shared turkey dinner is worth it now - especially after we’ve all endured this sh***y year AND ... there’s a vaccine coming in a matter of months!  

A weird, quiet, festive season 2020 will give us something to remember and hopefully give us decades more to remember it.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

Let’s hope the vast majority are as wise as your family.

I am staying at home on my own and hopefully next year we will all make up for the quiet one this year.

You won't be on your own, we'll all be here with you as well. 😊

Avril

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, pete14 said:

But when you consider the rules, they are very difficult. , because bubbles cannot overlap. When they announced it, it all seemed so simple. 🤔

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Too confusing, let alone worrying, so we are just sticking in our original bubble. 

Andy 

Anyone else thinking of getting a bubble pipe for Christmas ? 

Could be a good talking point around the dinner table or Zoom meeting :classic_unsure:

Could be worth getting one just to see the look on their faces :classic_smile:

download.jpg.b5e7c357c750c78f3625215c1cb73230.jpg  "Hope your bubbles work out for you "

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I have been listening to a politics broadcast this morning (sad I know) and it had me wondering whether people are planning to have get togethers with their family during the 5 day amnesty next week.  Our families have decided not to get together and we will all stick to telephone calls, Zoom and FaceTime because no-one wants to take any risk, as my sister said yesterday she would rather give up one Christmas to keep everyone in her life for many future Christmases.

I respect whatever decision people make, it needs to be what is right for them and their family particularly if there are any vulnerable members

What I don’t understand is the massive fuss being made about a small, socially distanced family meal. With a bit of common sense, open windows and hand gel it is probably less dangerous with regard to transmission than many other activities that happen every single day.

They stick 30 children and a teacher together in a classroom - allowed

Hundreds of people in the average supermarket - allowed

Dozens of people in the average restaurant or cafe- allowed

360 people on a plane - allowed

But meeting up with a very few family members in a clean, well ventilated home seems to be a greater risk? As I have said before I would feel much more confident about avoiding infection in my clean home than in some pub or restaurant with dozens of complete strangers around yet one is allowed and the other needs a special 5 day dispensation. It makes no sense to me at all.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

That's my point Pete, it is either too confusing or unworkable. 

Michelle has 2 Dad's, one is in our bubble, the other not. He is in other bubbles but wants to see us all, but it just doesn't add up. 

Our daughter wants to see her boyfriend and his family, but they are in other bubbles and this would exceed the limits. 

Andy 

I just hope everybody realises how complicated it is. I suspect they don’t and there will be a lot of instances of rule breaking done in all innocence. There must be so many who see one part of their family on one day, another part the next day without thinking who those people have already spent time with. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I respect whatever decision people make, it needs to be what is right for them and their family particularly if there are any vulnerable members

What I don’t understand is the massive fuss being made about a small, socially distanced family meal. With a bit of common sense, open windows and hand gel it is probably less dangerous with regard to transmission than many other activities that happen every single day.

They stick 30 children and a teacher together in a classroom - allowed

Hundreds of people in the average supermarket - allowed

Dozens of people in the average restaurant or cafe- allowed

360 people on a plane - allowed

But meeting up with a very few family members in a clean, well ventilated home seems to be a greater risk? As I have said before I would feel much more confident about avoiding infection in my clean home than in some pub or restaurant with dozens of complete strangers around yet one is allowed and the other needs a special 5 day dispensation. It makes no sense to me at all.

I quite agree but the rules for relaxation have been decided, considering the best scientific advice, and we have to follow them. What Andy and I are saying is that although it has been presented as quite simple, in many people’s family circumstances, it is very complicated and easy to break because some people may not have realised the complications. 

• Like 4

Just now, pete14 said:

I just hope everybody realises how complicated it is. I suspect they don’t and there will be a lot of instances of rule breaking done in all innocence. There must be so many who see one part of their family on one day, another part the next day without thinking who those people have already spent time with. 

We have had to have those difficult conversations with our daughter and my fil. 

The common perception seems to be that you can visit 2 other households regardless, which isn't the case. 

Andy 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Nothing to do with dancing, but I just wondering how your niece and family are doing Josy.

Avril

Thank you for asking.  They are finally doing quite well.  My niece is now looking forward to January when her chemotherapy finishes. The children went back to school on Thursday after isolation.  The boy is at high school and has only had to isolate for just over 2 weeks because of mum and dad having covid.  The girl has now done 4 days since half-term at the end of October because her class were isolated because a member of staff had caught Covid over half term, then my niece and her husband had it.  The day before she was due to go back my niece had a text from the school saying that her year bubble were going into isolation because one child had caught covid.  The annoying thing is that the member of staff is my friend's sister and still went into school.  My other niece was not happy because the member of staff was actually teaching her twins.

• Like 9

We've three children. Our son and DIL will be staying in Lincolnshire as usual and won't be visiting on Boxing Day as they normally would. The youngest daughter lives with us and our eldest daughter lives alone and will have a 'bubble hopping' christmas. Both her daughter and  family and us are her 'bubbles. Her daughter is doing the taxiing so it's from her flat to car, to house, to visit with them. Then she's taking a short walk to us and having dinner. Her daughter is  then picking her up again to take her home. It's all a bit complicated, but she's staying within her 'bubbles' and it's important for her mental health, so worth it.

Avril

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I quite agree but the rules for relaxation have been decided, considering the best scientific advice, and we have to follow them. What Andy and I are saying is that although it has been presented as quite simple, in many people’s family circumstances, it is very complicated and easy to break because some people may not have realised the complications. 

I have every intention of following them and personally I don’t think they are complicated at all, just perverse given the other things that are allowed each and every day.

The rules are simple enough and if people break them then they have probably done so quite knowingly and it suited them to do so. It’s the family conversations that will probably be complicated and difficult 😔

• Like 6

Our Christmas will be exactly the same as it always is, myself, hubby and daughter who is in our bubble of 3. We head over to our daughters house on Christmas Eve where we are pampered and spoiled until the day after Boxing Day. It has been like this for the last 7 years, we have no family local to worry about, all is good! And by the way to pete14 from Stoke on Trent it wasn't Hanley burning down cos I'm still here!! 😆

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Our Christmas will be exactly the same as it always is, myself, hubby and daughter who is in our bubble of 3. We head over to our daughters house on Christmas Eve where we are pampered and spoiled until the day after Boxing Day. It has been like this for the last 7 years, we have no family local to worry about, all is good! And by the way to pete14 from Stoke on Trent it wasn't Hanley burning down cos I'm still here!! 😆

I have had to nip to the Potteries Centre this morning so can confirm your good news about Hanley. Sorry for any alarm caused. 🤐

• Like 2

I think we will have a good Christmas ,regardless of any lockdown rules.

Will we miss not seeing some of our family but if they are all safe and healthy,

what more could I ask for ? 

We are not alone ,many up and down the country, lots will be doing the same thing .

Not just our country , I see Germany are Locking back down  from the 16th of this month

until January.

Reading from some of our past , this should be a walk in the park compared to WW2,

when they were wondering if they would have a un-bombed house on Christmas day

and our festive dinner would have seemed a dream back then .

When I read of a guy who tells you "The best Christmas present was a plank of wood

my dad carved into the shape of a rifle ."  

Then I think ,it's just one year and if Christmas is about loving and caring then I know 

I can still do that whether we are together or not .

One things for sure ..This is a Christmas we will never forget ! :classic_smile:

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Christmas-in-World-War-Two/

• Like 6

Think there is going to be a massive spike of infections and deaths due to Christmas 5 day amnesty. Really do think many should get the actual facts and read the government website because I am amazed at the number that are breaking the rules but have convinced themselves that they will be OK. God willing lets hope they will be. We usually go out for lunch with in laws (mother in law and her husband and brother in law and his wife and daughter and her children) but not this year for obvious reasons being 4 households and the fact as at present in Tier 3 so nowhere open. Instead we are having a total isolated Christmas of just me and my wife and for the first time in 30yrs not able to visit Austria in January.

• Like 5