P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I trust everything is worth the almost certain spike in Covid cases from the stadium and more likely the pubs and impromptu celebrations. Probably many more to come on Sunday, especially if England win.

Our daughter went into London for a drink with her mates Saturday.She arrived home just before kickoff but it was obviously busy there.She got a T and T alert yesterday,somebody nearby must have been positive.

Some friends of ours were due to fly to Lanzarote today.  Yesterday their 23 year old son who lives with them got sent home from work as he felt unwell and subsequently got a positive covid test result.

So now they're all self isolating together at home. ☹️

14 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Some friends of ours were due to fly to Lanzarote today.  Yesterday their 23 year old son who lives with them got sent home from work as he felt unwell and subsequently got a positive covid test result.

So now they're all self isolating together at home. ☹️

Now that folk are booking cruises and foreign holidays, I wonder how many will disable the T&T app to prevent being ' pinged '.🤔

• Like 3

Went to local hospital yesterday for follow up for my broken arm. Said for that injury they don't plaster anymore so the relief of having plaster off. Just have to wear a sling occasionally (when I go out) and I have to try to keep straightening my arm as much as possible. Not pleasant but I will have to grin and bear it!! Worse bit was last night trying to sleep with no protection on my arm🥴

• Like 5

It looks like we will be unable to cruise for the foreseeable future, we had an email from Princess telling us that we need to show proof of our vaccination status on arrival at the port, it then went on to say that only vaccines approved for the current mass vaccination push would be accepted.  I rang them to check whether my letter of proof of receiving a vaccine during the trial would be acceptable and was told that it was not even though Jonathon Van Tam has stated that people who have received actual vaccines during the trials would not be discriminated against.  I have just checked with P&O and Cunard and they have confirmed that they have the same policy.

For those of you have taken part in any vaccine trials I would advise you to confirm whether you are still able to travel.

Lesson learned, don't take part in any future medical trials.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

It looks like we will be unable to cruise for the foreseeable future, we had an email from Princess telling us that we need to show proof of our vaccination status on arrival at the port, it then went on to say that only vaccines approved for the current mass vaccination push would be accepted.  I rang them to check whether my letter of proof of receiving a vaccine during the trial would be acceptable and was told that it was not even though Jonathon Van Tam has stated that people who have received actual vaccines during the trials would not be discriminated against.  I have just checked with P&O and Cunard and they have confirmed that they have the same policy.

For those of you have taken part in any vaccine trials I would advise you to confirm whether you are still able to travel.

Sorry to hear that Josy I can’t believe they won’t accept your proof, another disappointment for me too just had my Cunard August cruise cancelled 😞 

• Like 1

I’m so sorry to read this Josy.  It is 100% the opposite of what should happen.  You should be welcomed on board with a pipe band and be allowed to wear a crown, if you wish!

Are you up for a bit of publicity?  I think the media should be involved in this; it is so unfair

As an aside, I’m dubious as to whether all the planned cruises will go ahead.  Cunard have just cancelled some because of an outbreak among crew, before any pax even boarded.  The planned changed for 19 July are liable to bring more and more cases and potentially remove the relative freedom we are enjoying now (all imo)

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 11

17 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

That just doesn’t seem right does it? You volunteer for something that will help everyone else then you are penalised for it.

So sorry you can’t get on your cruise

Michelle

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Sorry to hear this.  You've done the right thing by volunteering for the vaccine trials, only to be treated imho rather shoddily.  I hope someone at Carnival sees sense and reviews their policy.

Edited by Son of Anarchy
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

We have cancelled our October cruise with Princess, we dont want to take the risk. Restrictions are being eased but I'm not sure it is for the best.

Still going on our October cruise.  Being surrounded by 100% vaccinated passengers is going to be a lot safer than going to a restaurant or pub.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Still going on our October cruise.  Being surrounded by 100% vaccinated passengers is going to be a lot safer than going to a restaurant or pub.   

Possibly but we have decided to give cruising a break for a while. 2023 maybe? If your cruise goes ahead I hope you have a brill time! 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

That is patently a ridiculous and unjustified position, Josy, and I’m appalled to hear it given the debt of gratitude the country, and indeed the world, owes you.

Had you considered taking it up at CEO level within Carnival, perhaps?  And also looking for support in that from your local MP?

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I'm sorry to hear of your woes with Princess maybe they will change their stance? Shapps a few hours ago declared:

Grant Shapps says those on approved clinical trials in the UK will also not have to quarantine when they arrive back in England from amber list countries.

And will treated the same as those that have been double jabbed.

• Like 5

Thank you everyone for your kind replies.  The really annoying thing is that because I am volunteering and know how easily this thing spreads I am being super careful so I am probably less likely to catch the virus than a lot of the people who will be allowed on the ships. 

I was in Tesco yesterday shopping and was amazed by now many people are now wearing those transparent face shields with no mask under them so have little protection because it has not been widely publicised that they are almost useless at preventing the spread of the virus unless a mask is worn under them.  At the vaccine centre we are told that we must wear masks even if we are using a face shield because vaccination does not mean that we are safe from the virus, are the cruise lines also going to insist on face masks as well as shields ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Thank you everyone for your kind replies.  The really annoying thing is that because I am volunteering and know how easily this thing spreads I am being super careful so I am probably less likely to catch the virus than a lot of the people who will be allowed on the ships. 

I was in Tesco yesterday shopping and was amazed by now many people are now wearing those transparent face shields with no mask under them so have little protection because it has not been widely publicised that they are almost useless at preventing the spread of the virus unless a mask is worn under them.  At the vaccine centre we are told that we must wear masks even if we are using a face shield because vaccination does not mean that we are safe from the virus, are the cruise lines also going to insist on face masks as well as shields ?

My OH temporarily wears a shield at the moment because of an aggressive cream she puts on her face for Basel cell carcinoma.We see quite a lot of mainly older people wearing them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

We have cancelled our October cruise with Princess, we dont want to take the risk. Restrictions are being eased but I'm not sure it is for the best.

We tried to move our Oct MSC cruise from Barcelona to next year but not available so lost our £200 deposit.This would have been the 3rd move,lol.Just didn't fancy the restrictions,covid transmission doesn't worry us anymore TBH.

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Sorry to hear that Josy I can’t believe they won’t accept your proof, another disappointment for me too just had my Cunard August cruise cancelled 😞 

Sorry to hear that Lindy.

19 minutes ago, brian1 said:

My OH temporarily wears a shield at the moment because of an aggressive cream she puts on her face for Basel cell carcinoma.We see quite a lot of mainly older people wearing them.

Up here these clear visors are not permitted in general and have not been since the masks came in. For people in the situation you describe a visor is far better than nothing. 

People who are ”exempt” from mask wearing by law are also wearing them as it avoids the smart ass comments and sometimes aggression from complete strangers who have no idea why some folks can’t wear a close face covering.

Hope the cream is working.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

This is a terrible way to treat heroes like yourself who volunteered for the vaccine trials.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We tried to move our Oct MSC cruise from Barcelona to next year but not available so lost our £200 deposit.This would have been the 3rd move,lol.Just didn't fancy the restrictions,covid transmission doesn't worry us anymore TBH.

Yes we lost our deposit as well, just didn't fancy it. Booked a nice lodge near Cleveleys in Lancashire instead, having a new kitchen installed and sponsored a guide dog puppy called Derek!

• Like 5

I think the way that vaccine volunteers have been treated is totally unacceptable.

Requiring a double vaccination for travel is not a legal requirement it is a policy so that policy can and should be changed. I would challenge them at a senior level Josy. Let’s hope they change their minds and soon.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I understand that a lot of people who are wearing the shield have to because of their health conditions and they are not the people who bother me because they have no other option, I see people wearing lanyards that show that they are exempt from wearing masks,  it is the people who are doing it from choice rather than for a medical reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

Possibly but we have decided to give cruising a break for a while. 2023 maybe? If your cruise goes ahead I hope you have a brill time! 

Thanks.  Obviously there is no right or wrong decision, just one that is correct for you.

• Like 1

I have emailed Paul Ludlow, Josh Weinstein who I believe is the Carnival Group CEO and my MP to complain about Carnival UK attitude to those of us who have taken part in the trials.

I know that this will do nothing to help me or any other people in the same situation but I feel better for escalating the matter.

• Like 13