Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

I love cat photos - especially ginger ones! 

We’ve been here today - south west Cornwall, specifically the idyllic fishing village of Coverack. Been coming here since 2004 and never get tired of it. 

F6FE9CE4-7768-45EE-98C6-CD4A51E5AD01.jpeg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Tonopah said:

YES! Your cat is beautiful.  Nog showed up as a young kitten. It took us 6 months to gain his trust. Now he’s the boss of the house. 

Our Loving little Cat Mimi went to Kitty Heaven in November and by March it was time to get another from the County Animal Shelter. We found a lovely black and white girl, and chose her. We were going to call her Claudette Colbert (for movie fans of a certain era) or CC for short.

We went to collect her after she was to have her "operation" and discovered that She was a He. I paused because I have had issue with males, but my softer side said it's just a cat in need. So I brought him home and as I opened the carrier to give him a pet he leapt out and ran from the kitchen to the dining room and then points unknown. So far he has not been touched by human hands.

He eats well, at night after our dinner has been finished and the breakfast room and kitchen are vacant, and again later in the evening until all the moist and dry food is gone. He does his business and has been generally well behaved.

Every evening I spend about an hour reading before bed. The Cat, who has been named Charlie-Cat comes into the living room to see what I am doing, but stays away. He will stretch and roll over on the oriental rug, but keeps a keen eye on me. If I get up, he goes to a hiding place until I sit down again, Slowly he is getting used to us.

I can only imagine that some very negative interaction with people, maybe at the shelter with the various treatments and his operation made him very wary. I am giving him his space and time. I feel eventually that he will become a very loving cat. Time will tell. 

He

• Like 6

So sorry you lost Mimi, Bigmike911.

Weirdly enough, I have a matching cat for your black and white puss too! Brother of our ginger and white. He likes to squeeze into any box that is far too small for him!

20211212_122120.thumb.jpg.ef7927244245f50a1a005e67bcc49b5c.jpg

• Like 6

On 4/30/2022 at 5:48 PM, Tonopah said:

... interrupting me ..

8B8ADD41-3B77-4A9C-AAF1-BC958A5186E3.jpeg

Surely you meant to type "helping me". How could you possibly do all that without 10 extra "needles"?

• Like 2

I'm sure I could find a fawn oriental or fawn point siamese to brighten your day, but just for a change our local swan population seems to have increased by 7 in the last few days.

The proud parents with their offspring, and the remaining 12 of the colony at the mouth of the River Loup about 4 miles west of Nice Airport.

IMG_20220501_135426152fb.jpg

IMG_20220501_135733623_HDRfb.jpg

• Like 5

It's lovely to see all your cats and the swan family. We've had a lazy Bank Holiday, the weather hasn't been very good and I realised  I only had 5 days to watch 7 episodes of "My Brilliant Friend" before it disappears from my streaming service !

• Like 1

Continuing with the feline theme, I took this photo yesterday in the Croust House (restaurant) at Roskillys Farm, famous for its organic ice cream - a very novel design for a stained glass window. The adjacent ones feature owls (I think) and cows. 

3D58C3C2-8E98-49F2-9596-634A1B1897D2.jpeg

• Like 4

I managed to finish "My Brilliant Friend" just in time but of course now I want to go to Italy ! Not helped by the fact that one of my friends was sending photos from Venice all last week and one of my colleagues is going there tomorrow to look at a problem with a new part I bought. If I'd had a passport I would have had a stronger case for arguing that I needed to go as well !

If it's Mothers' Day where you are, have a nice one.

• Like 2

We have a good postman here. Always greets us if passing anywhere in area.

Heading off for one of our long sea front walks this morning, passed the local newsagents/cafe where many folk sit for coffee. He was chatting to some of the customers, spotted us as usual but immediately waved us to stop. He had a signed for letter for us and recognised from direction we were headed we wouldn't be in when he called at our apartments. Saved us a trip to post office to collect it.

Some sad news; 2 of the 7 new cygnets seem to have been lost over last weekend. Not clear whether it was gull, dog or some other predator or some other cause. Last year they raised all 9 of their brood to adulthood so a bit disappointing.

If anyone wants to look at lots of photos and videos of the swans and some ducks/ducklings there is a local town facebook site where lots of these are posted. You need to pass by a load of 'lost keys', 'job search', and 'info request' posts as well but some of the photos are really good. Not sure if you need a facebook account to look, I'm permanently logged in on all my devices.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/villeneuve.loubet06

• Like 1

My new passport arrived on Friday, just less than 3 weeks since I applied so no excuses for not booking a holiday now !

We had a quick trip to Pembrokeshire, the forecast wasn't very good for today but the sun shine on the Alvis Cars driven to the heritage centre.

DSC03572.JPG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

My new passport arrived on Friday, just less than 3 weeks since I applied ......

I thought some of the scare stories in the tabloids were probably just that!

We renewed ours from France at start of 2018 and each took less than 2 weeks. We paid a bit extra as once the online bit was done they use well known international tracked and signed for courier services (as you would expect).

One suspects those that experience major delays are simply unlucky or there is some problem with their application.

MisterTonopah made steak and lobster for dinner. We have never, in 34 years together, had lobster at home. It was excellent. Better than a restaurant. Steak done to a turn, lobster so tender and juicy. 

Life is good today.

D3F63F21-152E-4DF1-AC17-CDDDCF5632B6.jpeg

• Like 5

We renewed our passports at the beginning of the year. They both took just over a week!! Weirdly, we had to send them to two different places. His took one week and one day,  mine took two days longer. We just used the standard online service with no changes. We were impressed.

Hello from QM2 just off a wet Norway. 

Having a great time so far. Food service and entertainment all up to the usual standard.

I went to see Yoyo yesterday to say hello and book for September 2023. Off to the Verandaha tonight as only two sea days will use free lunch as discount for dinner 

• Like 4

I was surprised when I collected my mail yesterday that a box about 5 by 8 inches, 1/2 inch thick was addressed to me, sent by Cunard by Royal Mail.

When I opened it, I found a nice package of information about Queen Anne. Including photos and cruise information. 

Have others received such a package?

7 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

I was surprised when I collected my mail yesterday that a box about 5 by 8 inches, 1/2 inch thick was addressed to me, sent by Cunard by Royal Mail.

When I opened it, I found a nice package of information about Queen Anne. Including photos and cruise information. 

Have others received such a package?

There have been reports on the "New Ship" thread (and perhaps elsewhere) that others have received that promotional material about Queen Anne. I haven't received it yet but am hoping I get it eventually.

We received the Queen Anne package last week.  It would make a nice souvenir, I think. I’m reserving judgement on whether she’s for us or not (like many others on this board, I’m put off by the look of the narrow and dark promenade deck and the higher density of passengers) but I received some good news from work on Thursday - I have just secured a promotion - so we might actually be able to afford to sail on her now!! 😀🤣

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kynance said:

We received the Queen Anne package last week.  It would make a nice souvenir, I think. I’m reserving judgement on whether she’s for us or not (like many others on this board, I’m put off by the look of the narrow and dark promenade deck and the higher density of passengers) but I received some good news from work on Thursday - I have just secured a promotion - so we might actually be able to afford to sail on her now!! 😀🤣

Congratulations on your promotion. Well, done. 

• Thanks 1