Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

8 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Good to hear that those of you who have/had the bug are recovering. I don’t want to jinx things but we’ve so far managed to avoid it.

I’ve got to transport this 70th birthday cake 200 miles this weekend and I’m starting to realise that I should have used a much more substantial board. 😬 Looks like I’ll be driving very carefully.

D36F9349-0112-414C-B251-BDED9EF38566.thumb.jpeg.1fc0f5cf7e7b80851837fc0197bd34dc.jpeg

Well, this is odd. It appears others here can see your image @Colin_Cameron.

For some reason, all I'm seeing is a link to this URL. ""https://content.invisioncic.com/j283755/monthly_2022_04/D36F9349-0112-414C-B251-BDED9EF38566.thumb.jpeg.1fc0f5cf7e7b80851837fc0197bd34dc.jpeg".

When I click on that link it gives me a broken image icon. Of course I'm supposed to see the image, not a broken link. I can see all the other images on this thread and elsewhere on this forum.

Can anyone who is able to view the image verify the URL for me? I'm stumped as to what is going on that I can't view the image.

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

Can you see it this time ?

Screenshot_20220406-215909-411.png

Thank you! Yes I can see that now. That's one way to work around the problem via a screen shot.

The link you sent me in the previous reply gave me this weird message!

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>BZY0SKA44SRR1K0M</RequestId>
<HostId>JL8KtKozAfsxZKC2DWRa2OfqwypX36IhCjBm/01l55v0fX8JqbWFLt8StyXy1KwSDKcd7OISV8g=</HostId>
</Error>"

2 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

If anyone is going to be able to figure it out, my money is on you !

I'm on the case, although I'm not sure if I will be able to figure it out. I'm getting the same result in Chrome and Edge and on both my desktop and phone, so it doesn't appear to be a browser-specific or platform-specific issue.

When you click on the link in your reply #2453 do you see the image?

Just now, Colin_Cameron said:

I do. But that may not prove anything.

Thanks. That's additional potentially helpful evidence since I get that weird XML error when I clink on the link.

Fantastic work on that cake by the way! I don't want to lose sight of that while I'm attempting to troubleshoot the issue I'm having.

This is interesting. @techteach's reply got me starting to actively pursue a theory that the issue with viewing @Colin_Cameron's image might be related to the location of the viewer.

Here is what Colin's post looks like for me when viewing it as usual here in the US.

1557338761_ColinPostUS.jpg.6c0938faf7f70be83c8def2a8c02f046.jpg

On the other hand, when I use a VPN connection to pretend I'm in the UK, here is what Colin's post looks like for me.

1028313008_ColinPostUK.thumb.jpg.e0e9d788d267ffd74b91901b165cc11d.jpg

Now the site "content.invisioncic.com" (where that image resides, as do all Cruise Critic image attachments) resolves to different IP addresses in the US and the UK. My theory is that something went wrong with the image attachment when it may have been mirrored from a UK-based server to a US-based server.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

All I see is a large blank box.  I haven’t tried any of the links.  I’m on an iPad with safari.  EM

Confirms what I've found that the attachment is broken for us here in the US. It's a Cruise Critic issue, or more specifically probably an issue with the attachment as it's hosted on the Invision Community server we access here in the US.

I was going to volunteer to repost the attachment after retrieving it from the UK if Colin didn't mind, but the original is substantially the same size as the screen shot @Host Hattie attached.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Confirms what I've found that the attachment is broken for us here in the US. It's a Cruise Critic issue, or more specifically probably an issue with the attachment as it's hosted on the Invision Community server we access here in the US.

I was going to volunteer to repost the attachment after retrieving it from the UK if Colin didn't mind, but the original is substantially the same size as the screen shot @Host Hattie attached.

Yes, it appears to be a geo-blocking issue.  From Australia I get a similar error message as @bluemarblewhen clicking on @Host Hattie's post 2453 link.  I use Firefox on Windows 10.

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>E8NNCT8EGBMBV7HS</RequestId>
<HostId>
ZQ5Cynf1kdU/Q6AU3Bhg/gYQ52p+B0Un5K8V2WMiyKnY4hqpveMcLBQlfzL6P2eTNNOIdqVrZ5w=
</HostId>
</Error>

Edited by sfred

Mister and I went yesterday to get our second booster. So far just a bit of a sore arm but otherwise we both feel fine. We are jus over 60 days out from a very short (3 days Miami-Bahamas-Miami) cruise for our niece’s wedding. This was supposed to take place in 2020…then 2021… So we’re doing what we can to stay healthy and avoid the dreaded virus.

The pharmacist told me she hopes *they* develop a combo Covid/Flu vaccine so I guess this booster will be an annual thing, at least for those of us of a certain age…

• Like 1

We have a cruise coming up on another line, and now that it is only 6 weeks out I'm thinking it might actually happen.  Not quite enough to buy a guidebook, but enough to make sure I have a wardrobe ready. We're going with Silversea, and we picked them because they are one of the few remaining lines besides Cunard with formal nights.  Even so, apparently only half the passengers bother to wear ties or cocktail dresses/dressy pants on formal nights, and tuxes and long gowns are even rarer.  Just between us, I wish more people were willing to dress up for dinner in a formal dining room.  But I have a long list of things I wish for.

Wishing a quick recovery to all those with covid.

• Like 2

Sounds lovely, where are you going ?

I found my old passport today, I really do need to get on with renewing it, there was an article in the paper yesterday about people waiting 10 weeks for a renewal !

Mr HH is going to Pembrokeshire for a few days this week to meet up with his family who are keeping on their Mother's caravan for the season.

Hope @rakkor & Jane are fully recovered and @Colin_Cameron's cake survived 🤞

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 3:50 PM, alc13 said:

We have a cruise coming up on another line, and now that it is only 6 weeks out I'm thinking it might actually happen.  Not quite enough to buy a guidebook, but enough to make sure I have a wardrobe ready. We're going with Silversea, and we picked them because they are one of the few remaining lines besides Cunard with formal nights.  Even so, apparently only half the passengers bother to wear ties or cocktail dresses/dressy pants on formal nights, and tuxes and long gowns are even rarer.  Just between us, I wish more people were willing to dress up for dinner in a formal dining room.  But I have a long list of things I wish for.

Wishing a quick recovery to all those with covid.

Pre-covid all the P&O cruise formal nights we experienced were pretty much fully observed, just saying.

• Like 1

That's good @rakkor, I hope it hasn't put you off cruising completely. 

I hope you all have a good Easter weekend, I'm working today but I have Monday off.

Mr HH is coming home today, hopefully the traffic won't be too bad as most of the holiday traffic will be going the other way. 

Good luck if you're travelling today.

Spring is in full glory in South East Texas on this Good Friday. This year with covid in retreat here and spring flowers in full bloom it really does feel like a re-birth. The blossoms on my citrus are plentiful and a lot of fruit has already set (here's hoping the fruit makes to the Fall.)

And three of my four Pecans are full of catkins, suggesting that we may get a bumper crop come fall. My dad who also had Pecans said you need a really bumper crop so that the Squirrels get all they can consume, and there are actually some left for the people. 

The winter this year was actually quite mild, and other than a Tasmanian Tree Fern, in the fern garden,  I lost no plants to the cold.  However, I have been planting new greenery with a keen eye for their ability to take cold weather as well as hot. This years addition to the garden are Camellias, Rhododendron, in the garden and some wonderful Acer Palmatums for containers on the pool deck and patio.

Happy Easter and Happy Passover to all. 

• Like 6

On 4/15/2022 at 1:23 PM, Host Hattie said:

That's good @rakkor, I hope it hasn't put you off cruising completely. 

Of course not - We've £2600 worth of FCC's that need a home, possibly September's Med Cruise esp if the PG prices come down a bit

• Like 2

I am just back from the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester. A truly excellent concert by Karl Jenkins, including the Armed Man, a mass for peace, which he dedicated to the people of Ukraine.

The concert was originally planned for June 2020, then May 2021, but it was well worth the wait

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

I am just back from the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester. A truly excellent concert by Karl Jenkins, including the Armed Man, a mass for peace, which he dedicated to the people of Ukraine.

The concert was originally planned for June 2020, then May 2021, but it was well worth the wait

Classic FM is doing their Top 300 this weekend and the Benedictus from the "Armed Man" is on the list. I am hoping that The Lark Ascending takes top prize again this year. The people of Ukraine need all the help they can get, but their bravery is astounding. 

• Thanks 1