Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, Camgirl said:

Tonopah, I hope you are feeling back to full health soon. 

My sense of smell and taste are still compromised some 9 months later! I have done the smell training and much of it has returned, but there are some things I just can't smell any more. It is very bizarre what this virus can do to you.

I’m glad you are better, though. The doctor explained that the virus attaches itself to the sensory cells in your nose and there can be various levels of damage.

I am really worried I still won’t be able to smell or taste in November. My niece’s senses returned after almost a year. Sadly, her sense of taste changed so much that she no longer likes wine. She shared an article with me Will getting flicked on the back of your head help regain sense of smell and taste after Covid

If you don’t want to read the article, basically it says to put a finger on your forehead while someone flicks you on the back of your head. Magically, your senses return! For the sake of science I tried it and then drank a bourbon ginger. I had to repeat the test twice to verify I still couldn’t smell or taste. But I FELT pretty good.  I may have to retest the theory tomorrow with a G&T just in case.

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Tonopah said:

I’m glad you are better, though. The doctor explained that the virus attaches itself to the sensory cells in your nose and there can be various levels of damage.

I am really worried I still won’t be able to smell or taste in November. My niece’s senses returned after almost a year. Sadly, her sense of taste changed so much that she no longer likes wine. She shared an article with me Will getting flicked on the back of your head help regain sense of smell and taste after Covid

If you don’t want to read the article, basically it says to put a finger on your forehead while someone flicks you on the back of your head. Magically, your senses return! For the sake of science I tried it and then drank a bourbon ginger. I had to repeat the test twice to verify I still couldn’t smell or taste. But I FELT pretty good.  I may have to retest the theory tomorrow with a G&T just in case.

I think you probably need to test with several different drinks. Just to be sure🤣

Tragically, one of the smells I am no longer able to detect is when our cats use their litter tray!! My husband thinks this is very convenient for me 😅 I'm not desperate for that ability to return!

Edited by Camgirl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Getting ready for a (non-Cunard) cruise this week. It’s an eight night cruise and there are forty hangers on the packing rail. Mrs C_C has just said, “Looking at this lot you’d think we were going on Cunard.”🤣

Have a great cruise

It looks very much like we won’t be cruising this year - this morning I moved our 4 night short break to Hamburg on QM2 back to September 2023. I must say it was very easy to do, taking advantage of Cunard’s flexible booking conditions prior to our final payment date in the middle of this month. Given it was Saturday, I didn’t think waiting 20 minutes on the phone was too bad - I was even called back immediately when the line cut out just as we got to the important part of the call. The charming rep at the customer contact centre could not have been more friendly or efficient and I was very impressed with the ease of moving the booking. Given that a short break requires far less preparation and time off work, I suppose there is always the possibility of rebooking for October much closer to the sailing date if the prevailing situation changes but if not, I will continue to cruise vicariously via the wonderful blogs and trip reports kindly written by other forum members. 

We do have another week in Cornwall to look forward to but having spent a bit of money around the house recently, to be honest, I’m quite happy to be saving some cash by deferring our Cunard trip. In that vein, I was also delighted today to find out that the renewal premium for our house insurance is £83 less than last year. This must be about the only thing which has actually fallen in price in 2022! 

I’m enjoying catching some of the tennis at Wimbledon at the moment and also the Tour de France, which has just had its “grand depart” in Denmark. 

In gardening news, I am a bit disappointed with some of my agapanthus this year - it doesn’t look like the marvellous display of 2021 will be repeated. I think this may be down to the cooler and cloudier weather - agapanthus do like plenty of sunshine. Never mind,  we did have a brilliant display of spring bulbs, so there have been other horticultural successes this year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kynance said:

I was also delighted today to find out that the renewal premium for our house insurance is £83 less than last year....

That could be scary - if insurance premiums go down it usually means one of two things :   fewer risks protected against, or less value to the property being protected.   

In a period of inflation, the same protection should cost more year to year - and a property should be worth more year to year.

The family is starting to panic about getting to the wedding tomorrow as there are fuel protests planned for the Second Severn Crossing. The wedding is in Wales and so are we so I'm hoping it's not going to be a problem but my sister in law seems to want us to travel today. The wedding isn't until 1 so we'll take our chances!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

The family is starting to panic about getting to the wedding tomorrow as there are fuel protests planned for the Second Severn Crossing. The wedding is in Wales and so are we so I'm hoping it's not going to be a problem but my sister in law seems to want us to travel today. The wedding isn't until 1 so we'll take our chances!

Oh dear, that’s not good. 

Good luck on your travels tomorrow.

I guess you will leave waaaay earlier than normal to try and beat the delays. 

We are now all packed and ready to head back north home tomorrow.

Its been a wonderful two weeks with glorious weather.
Back to the chilly North Sea breeze on our regular beach walks. 

We are fortunate to live just 10 minutes from a lovely beach and we enjoy walks along the prom which we call “deck 7”  when we are out. I know,….it’s sad but it reminds us of our favourite sea days. Lol.

• Like 5

July 3rd. The day before we celebrate our Independence Day, July 4th. Preparations include making a chilled cream of minted pea soup, served with Crème Fraiche. A spinach Quiche, and BlueBell Strawberry Vanilla Ice cream. It is 100F today and will be tomorrow, so we will eat light and spend time in the pool, which is about 10 degrees cooler, than the air.

Friends in the wet part of the country, please send rain, we need it badly. To our American friends, Happy Fourth, to our other friends have a great summer, or winter depending on where you are. 

• Like 2

@navybankerteacher - the level of cover is exactly the same. I think there are changes in the UK insurance market to ensure the best deals aren’t just offered to customers who frequently switch providers so perhaps it’s a result of that. My car insurance doesn’t renew until December so it will be interesting to see if that’s cheaper too. (I’ve been with the same insurer for years because I am always too busy in December to try to find a better quote.)

@Host Hattie- hope your bookings pick up.  Maybe the prospect of some good weather & long airport queues will inspire more people to holiday at home again this year?!

• Like 1

@Bigmike911 Happy 4th! I would love to send you some of our rain. The 4-year old grandson has learned to read the outdoor temp. on the thermostat, it was 56F today. We have home made grav lax, beef jerky, pork ribs, salads, and ice cream. I made whole wheat english muffins this morning, which turned into an egg, ham, and cheese sandwich for breakfast. Wish I was on the QM2 in Boston!

So,…not a good start to the day

taxi driver eventually turned up 45 mins late to take us to the airport and couldn’t  find our address.
He Complained to me (!) that I had gave him the wrong address ?

(he showed me his details, and  it was the correct address) 

I told him we will now be late for our flight. 
At some points he was doing over 90mph on the M25 which was ,…..not good! 

Anyway, we managed to  get  through security and now boarded in time but all VERY rushed which I hate.  

It’s still early but I feel a G&T coming on!

apart from that all is well. ( so far)

Edited by ronpes

2 hours ago, ronpes said:

So,…not a good start to the day

taxi driver eventually turned up 45 mins late to take us to the airport and couldn’t  find our address.
He Complained to me (!) that I had gave him the wrong address ?

(he showed me his details, and  it was the correct address) 

I told him we will now be late for our flight. 
At some points he was doing over 90mph on the M25 which was ,…..not good! 

Anyway, we managed to  get  through security and now boarded in time but all VERY rushed which I hate.  

It’s still early but I feel a G&T coming on!

apart from that all is well. ( so far)

Footnote: got home safe and well. 
we even got all our luggage ok. 
back to cold and rain and back to reality. 
i see several cruise  brochures in amongst the mail. I may need to browse them to cheer me up with ideas. 

Edited by ronpes
  • Like 3

@TonopahI have not read my cruise critic for several days… and I just read your posts on this thread. Sorry you have been dealing with this.

Your bread loaves are gorgeous, by the way (I bake bread too)… and I Certainly Hope that your senses of taste and smell return very very soon.

Such a strange virus… how it affects people differently… how some people have their smell and taste affected while others do not.

When my husband got it at the start of April, he kept his smell and his taste… and he did not have a fever… but it took his voice. It took him about a month to get his full vocal range back.

2 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

@TonopahI have not read my cruise critic for several days… and I just read your posts on this thread. Sorry you have been dealing with this.

Thank you. I finally tested negative yesterday. I have a bad lingering cough. Doc says it could remain for weeks. As for test and smell, a few scents and flavors are coming through. Very light but it gives me hope.  

• Like 6

We made it to the wedding and back, avoiding the motorway for most of the outward journey so we got there in plenty of time.

It was a beautiful day and a lovely venue, although there had been some doubt about whether it would be finished in time. There were workmen finishing off rooms in the courtyard area where we stayed. There was no wifi and very poor mobile reception. Fortunately it was a very mild evening so we could sit outside as the band were very loud !

DSC03690~2.JPG

• Like 4

Thank you, little Theo had a ring security box as well but it didn't make it into the photograph. It's forecast to be a warm weekend and it's our village fete.

Mr HH and his siblings have been emptying the last of the things out of their former family home. Contracts were exchanged this week and the sale should complete next week.

I was due to attend my first in-person Union meeting in London next week but I've opted to attend online instead.