Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I finally got to the hairdresser for the first time since January 2020 & my head feels a lot lighter.

We've had terrible weather the last few days, at last we have a bit of sun. Another niece is staying in West Wales, hopefully she's enjoying the place a bit more today.

I bought this as part of a 3 for £2 book sale.

IMG_20210522_150558556.jpg

After a wonderful stretch of ideal Spring weather - sunny and warmish days with cool nights making blankets welcome, we seem to have lurched towards Summer - humid, a bit hazy and near 90F today -necessitating the turning on of air conditioning which has been idle since September. 

I hope it is just an aberration, and not a too-early start of Summer.

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

After a wonderful stretch of ideal Spring weather - sunny and warmish days with cool nights making blankets welcome, we seem to have lurched towards Summer - humid, a bit hazy and near 90F today -necessitating the turning on of air conditioning which has been idle since September. 

Well NBT it's Memorial Day next week end. The unofficial start of Summer. Down here the A/C was needed two weeks after the Feb ice storm. The past week has been rain nearly five inches, but the temps never went below 74f even at night. The new A/C system I have often says "dehumidifying" instead of "cooling" but I don't know what the difference is.  I think I am now officially post tech. 

• Like 1

We took the RV (caravan) down to the Florida Keys for a few beautiful days of nature and peace.

We took out our double kayak today on the water and joked that this was our “cruise voyage” for the year. We laughed about it... sad but true, because in actuality that is correct... ha!

Then we got on the subject of the wonderful places we have seen and the places we want to go in the future.

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

Well NBT it's Memorial Day next week end. The unofficial start of Summer. Down here the A/C was needed two weeks after the Feb ice storm. The past week has been rain nearly five inches, but the temps never went below 74f even at night. The new A/C system I have often says "dehumidifying" instead of "cooling" but I don't know what the difference is.  I think I am now officially post tech. 

"Post tech"  sounds pretty good --  I am surely nowhere near that level, not even "tech", probably just part way through "pre tech"'

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I think I am now officially post tech. 

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

"Post tech"  sounds pretty good --  I am surely nowhere near that level, not even "tech", probably just part way through "pre tech"'

I spent 42 years in the IT industry. Towards the end customers asked me, more than once, "How do you keep up with the twenty year olds in this game?" My answer was always the same. "Keeping up with them isn't a problem. But it is getting harder to leave them in the dust." 🙂

• Like 4

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I hope it is just an aberration, and not a too-early start of Summe

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Down here in Southern Florida, our AC never is off. But the last week has been beautiful, temps in the 80’s, breezes off the ocean. I know it will get much warmer and more humid, but right now it is wonderful.

Today in my neck of the woods it is 93°F. We’re going dancing later. Oh, and we finalized our trip on the QM2 for 2022! Deposits made, dreaming commencing. Mister’s decided he wants to use the luggage delivery service so we don’t even have to think about that.

So happy to look forward to something. I hope all is well wherever you are, too.

✈️🛳 💃🏻🕺🌊🏔

It's our wedding anniversary today and we were supposed to be on Queen Elizabeth. We've got a few days off work, the sun is out and I'm just about to open the champagne so it's not all bad.

IMG_20210526_172009911.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

Today in my neck of the woods it is 93°F. We’re going dancing later. Oh, and we finalized our trip on the QM2 for 2022! Deposits made, dreaming commencing. Mister’s decided he wants to use the luggage delivery service so we don’t even have to think about that.

So happy to look forward to something. I hope all is well wherever you are, too.✈️🛳 💃🏻🕺🌊🏔

Tonopah..

We too recently ditto your actions.

Made arrangements for our 2022 sailing on the Mary 2 and Deposit made.

We too after having our 2021 sailing 2 months from now cancelled, we are looking forward even though 15 months from now a trip to enjoy for 14 days.

Counting the days..... Bon Voyage to You Too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

It's our wedding anniversary today and we were supposed to be on Queen Elizabeth. We've got a few days off work, the sun is out and I'm just about to open the champagne so it's not all bad.

Happy anniversary! The setting is beautiful. I hope the champagne was better than Pol Acker. 

4 hours ago, Tonopah said:

So happy to look forward to something. I hope all is well wherever you are, too.

✈️🛳 💃🏻🕺🌊🏔

Congratulations twice. Once for deciding to go and Two for decising t send you luggage ahead. Both very smart moves. I am looking forward to my departure from Southampton on 12th August for Hamburg, Rotterdam, Zeebruge, back to Southampton and onward to NYC. 

Part of my dreaming was/is watching Queen Mary 2 coming and going in Southampton on the Youtube channel Solentships. A couple of Sundays ago she left the Ocean Terminal after having been there for several days. Last Sunday night they had Queen Elizabeth's departure from Southampton. Just watching them glide by is reassuring to the soul. 

• Like 1

I was looking at the www.Solentships.com today and see that Queen Mary 2 is tied up alongside berth 107 in Southampton. She is due to leave at 18:30 UK time on Friday. The various cameras of You Tube's Solent Ships channel should have good views of her departing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I was looking at the www.Solentships.com today and see that Queen Mary 2 is tied up alongside berth 107 in Southampton. She is due to leave at 18:30 UK time on Friday. The various cameras of You Tube's Solent Ships channel should have good views of her departing. 

If you want to follow this movement go to the You Tube channel Solent Ships.  Their live images will be displayed. Start with the Box Cam, and wait patiently til QM2 appears right to left. The after she moves along go to the Ferry Cam and watch her pass by then move to the Port Cam, and finally the Cruise Cam. If the weather tomorrow is as great as it was today, you should be able to see QM2 for as long as an hour. as she moves down Southampton Water to the Solent. If she moves between the Isle of Wight and the Mainland with enough sun you can follow her on the Cruise Cam. 

The Cap't (A fine fellow in my mind) who runs the cameras will likely have a narration as well. 

• Like 2

The Cap'n is doing a narrated podcast of the departure of the Marella Explorer, The MSC Virtuoso and QM2 Starting at 18:00 UK time on his SolentShips You Tube Channel. Lots of Southampton action Today, Friday 28th May. 

17 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

If you want to follow this movement go to the You Tube channel Solent Ships.  Their live images will be displayed. Start with the Box Cam, and wait patiently til QM2 appears right to left. The after she moves along go to the Ferry Cam and watch her pass by then move to the Port Cam, and finally the Cruise Cam. If the weather tomorrow is as great as it was today, you should be able to see QM2 for as long as an hour. as she moves down Southampton Water to the Solent. If she moves between the Isle of Wight and the Mainland with enough sun you can follow her on the Cruise Cam. 

The Cap't (A fine fellow in my mind) who runs the cameras will likely have a narration as well. 

That was such a nice way to while away the afternoon.

E25B26C8-8F58-4AA0-984E-DC8CB29B3CA4.jpeg

I had my second Covid vaccination yesterday - and celebrated with a delicious chocolate sponge cake with chocolate ganache from our brilliant local bakery just down the road from the village hall where I had the jab. 
My other half picked up a strawberry tart very reminiscent of those served in the Cafe Carinthia & Chart Room on QE & QV. When I saw them it did make me feel quite wistful. We still have nothing booked but I might take a look for next year, assuming everyone else hasn’t got there before me. 

After the Saturday chores we managed to sit on the patio which gets the afternoon sunshine - for the first time this year. The weather forecast for the next 3 days is very good and fortunately we both have the time off so we’ll hopefully get to spend more time relaxing outside.  Our garden is looking very verdant and we should have a good display of roses this year but not much is happening on the agapanthus front yet, a couple of potted ergyngiums appear to have been killed off and there is no sign of the Cambridge Favourite strawberries I planted in hanging baskets last year. 

I hope everyone is having a good weekend, especially if it is a bank holiday one where you live. 

• Like 1

Our community is up and running once again. There will be a large pool party with ice cream and music at the Clubhouse this afternoon. 200 people expected to attend, all outdoors. The weather is high 80’s and a bit humid, so I am sure many people will be in the pool.

We are still trying to book a local cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean, but once again our Gov. DeSantis has put a monkey wrench into cruising plans from any port in Florida. Many cruise lines have now moved embarkation ports to St. Martin, Barbados and Nassau. We hope that the courts force him to stop the nonsense. 
Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

• Like 2

It's been a lovely warm sunny day here so I had a drive to the coast. Very busy but I managed to find somewhere to park and had a nice walk along the sea front. Working tomorrow which is a shame as it's going to be another nice day.

My second jab is booked for the 14th June but it should be brought forward. They are cutting it a bit fine as it's only two weeks off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

We are still trying to book a local cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean, but once again our Gov. DeSantis has put a monkey wrench into cruising plans from any port in Florida.

Yes.

We have been watching the Celebrity Edge cruise news... since they are trying to start (with vaccinated crew/guests) next month from FL.

I've been following all of that news very closely since we also live in FL and, of course, love cruising.

It is all a mess, for sure.

Crossing fingers that it is worked out... for all of our sakes.

Successful and safe cruising helps ALL of the lines and all of us who travel the world on them.

It was a beautiful day here today and another is forecast for the Bank Holiday tomorrow. Mr HH has to work so I'll have to entertain myself.

No side effects after my second jab and so far rates in Wales haven't started rising the way they are in some parts of England.

Nothing booked here either although I keep looking !

• Like 2

@Host Hattie - no side effects from my 2nd jab either - apart from the desire to eat cake! 

Cases have risen slightly in west Berkshire but this is due to outbreaks in local schools. As it is also half term this week, that might act as some sort of circuit breaker. 

We got some tidying up done in the storage area of our garden yesterday, which has created a bit more space to display our constantly increasing number of pots. My other half now has to book a trip to the household waste and recycling centre to dispose of the items we are getting rid of. 

It’s cloudy at the moment but with another warm, sunny forecast, it looks like another garden day for us. 

• Like 1