Can we request a roll away bed?

Midwifelife7

We have 7 in our family.  We are changing our original booking to one later in the summer, hoping that everything will be back to normal by then. Our original cruise had a cabin for 5 and a cabin for 2.  However, we didn't have that option with the booking we have now.  So we have a cabin for 3 and a cabin for 4.  We would like for the 5 kids to be in a room together and my husband and I to be alone.  Can we request a rollaway bed to put a 5th kid in the room for 4?  Is there another way of making that work?  Bring a sleeping bag?  

Suggestions?

We have 7 in our family.  We are changing our original booking to one later in the summer, hoping that everything will be back to normal by then. Our original cruise had a cabin for 5 and a cabin for 2.  However, we didn't have that option with the booking we have now.  So we have a cabin for 3 and a cabin for 4.  We would like for the 5 kids to be in a room together and my husband and I to be alone.  Can we request a rollaway bed to put a 5th kid in the room for 4?  Is there another way of making that work?  Bring a sleeping bag?  
Suggestions?

What ship are you booked on? If its an older ship, I think built year 2000 or older they might let you go that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1 hour ago, Midwifelife7 said:

Suggestions?

The amount of guests in a room cannot exceed the room's maximum occupancy. Your stateroom, in most cases, will determine your muster station and there are a specific number of life jackets located in each room. SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) requires one life jacket for each guest permitted in a room and cannot exceed the occupancy the cruise line has been approved to use.

With that said, some cruise lines do have a limited supply of rollaway beds that are based upon availability. Another cruise line, Princess, only has upper beds mounted from the ceiling for some stateroom types. We were able to work with the special needs team to have a rollaway bed in lieu of the upper on one cruise which actually had the same mattress as the normal one in the stateroom. Carnival most likely has a few onboard but you'll need to work with the proper departments to get one assuming your stateroom has enough space to safely accommodate one and you do not exceed maximum room occupancy restrictions. A PVP or someone answering the phone may not be aware of their existence nor will your stateroom steward be able to get one under most circumstances.

Only the older ships had some trundle beds. Triumph might have been the last ship that even had these.

You dont say what ship. People who booked cabins that would need one would get them first, so its unknown if there would be extras for you to ask for. 

If it's a newer ship they dont have them

I am wondering about this too.  On a future cruise, we have a room for three and a room for two.  The room for two is a weird shaped balcony that only sleeps two but has floor space for more.  We are thinking that one of our kids in the room for three might want to sleep in our room.  I have been trying to think of ways to deal with this.  The balcony is larger and has loungers.  We were thinking we might be able to pull one in for him to sleep on.  Now I am wondering if carnival might give us a roll away?  

Again asking without naming your ship, nobody can answer. Only the oldest ships in the fleet have roll aways or trundle beds. They are a tad shorter than a regular bed.  It's possible they have even gotten rid of them by now, I've been cruising a long time I'm old.  No newer ship has them for sure.

This is a ship specific question. Not generic to all ships.

Edited by firefly333

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Again asking without naming your ship, nobody can answer. Only the oldest ships in the fleet have roll aways or trundle beds. They are a tad shorter than a regular bed.  It's possible they have even gotten rid of them by now, I've been cruising a long time I'm old.  No newer ship has them for sure.

This is a ship specific question. Not generic to all ships.

Ours is Glory.  Thanks

14 hours ago, Midwifelife7 said:

Suggestions?

The Glory doesn't allow roll away beds I believe. Each cabin has a max occupancy set by SOLAS I believe.

Besides, with 5 kids, mom and dad can't be trusted to be left alone in their own cabin. 🤣

• Haha 1

Ours is Magic.  I thought about bringing a sleeping bag.  Also thought about bringing an air mattress.  But if we could somehow take the sofa cushions or something and work something out that would be easier of course.  

All of our kids are going to want to be together in the room that holds 4. Most of them are small boys, so they wouldn't mind sleeping however.  

How big are the kids?  With a king sized bed, you could probably put three kids in it, and then you would have 5 in there.  Put the biggest kids on the other 2 beds (usually pullout and pullman).