Coronavirus survived up to 17 days in Princess Cabins

On 3/24/2020 at 12:04 PM, chengkp75 said:

Please note the following quote from the CDC report:

"SARS-CoV-2 RNA was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted (Takuya Yamagishi, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, personal communication, 2020"

The bolded highlight is mine, there was no disinfection done.  Had the cabins been fogged with Virkon, as is done with a noro outbreak, the far easier to kill covid-19 would have been stopped right then.  

So when the police find DNA at a crime scene, there is a person there also????

DNA or RNA is NOT a viable organism.

12 minutes ago, SRF said:

So when the police find DNA at a crime scene, there is a person there also????

DNA or RNA is NOT a viable organism.

While I agree with you, a virus is basically just an RNA strand, and technically is not a "living" organism, and as the report stated, no determination had been made whether the virus was still viable or not, or whether the surfaces were contagious or not, as viruses tend to "self-destruct" over time anyway, when outside a host.

Edited by chengkp75

On 3/24/2020 at 1:50 PM, Newleno said:

??  Well I think more people are thinking of it as identified after 17 days on a ship can it be identified on a subway railing

All that matters in that statement is that IF it can still be found on a subway railing, if you wash your hands after touching the railing you won't get infected. 

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

While I agree with you, a virus is basically just an RNA strand, and as the report stated, no determination had been made whether the virus was still viable or not, or whether the surfaces were contagious or not, as viruses tend to "self-destruct" over time anyway, when outside a host.

My point being, there was no determination of viability.  Just evidence of presence.

But yes, viruses are a strand of DNA or RNA with a protein coat.  They do dry out, and "die."

4 hours ago, drsel said:

received some information about Covid. Is it true?

* NO SPIRITS  work.  The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.

You are incorrect about this.  Early on, I saw a television report where a boutique distillery was making sanitizer and giving it to the restaurants in their area.  They are licensed to make 90% or some some such so was diluting it some and giving the resulting product to the restaurants.

Since then I have read several reports of other distilleries doing the same.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gatour said:

You are incorrect about this.  Early on, I saw a television report where a boutique distillery was making sanitizer and giving it to the restaurants in their area.  They are licensed to make 90% or some some such so was diluting it some and giving the resulting product to the restaurants.

Maybe they made it specially with very high alcohol concentration over 65%

33 minutes ago, gatour said:

8 minutes ago, drsel said:

Maybe they made it specially with very high alcohol concentration over 65%

65% alcohol is 130 proof, 90% alcohol is 180 proof.  Most spirits sold are not at those proof levels, though some boutique distillers have products at these ranges at retail.  Also, there is "barrel proof", which is the concentration of alcohol as it comes from the aging barrel, and this is typically quite high (80-90%), and is reduced in the blending process to the retail proof.  But 80 proof spirits as are most commonly sold are only 40% alcohol.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

65% alcohol is 130 proof, 90% alcohol is 180 proof.  Most spirits sold are not at those proof levels, though some boutique distillers have products at these ranges at retail.  Also, there is "barrel proof", which is the concentration of alcohol as it comes from the aging barrel, and this is typically quite high (80-90%), and is reduced in the blending process to the retail proof.  But 80 proof spirits as are most commonly sold are only 40% alcohol.

At least with Scotch whisky, barrel strength tends to be around 60%.  Sometimes a bit higher, but not as high as 70%.

Funny one.  I live in Maryland. They banned 190 proof (95%) grain alcohol.  So the manufacturer makes a special version for Maryland that is 189 proof (94.5%) alcohol. 😄

One thing to high percentage alcohol, if you uncap it, it absorbs water from the air and reduces the percentage.

Also, reports I have seen say it requires 70% or higher alcohol for this virus.  So standard 70% rubbing alcohol is borderline.  Better is to find 90% or 95% or 99% alcohol.  Especially if you plan on mixing with it with aloe vera like the online and TV do-it-yourself hand sanitizer tutorials recommend.

On 3/26/2020 at 12:48 PM, drsel said:

Asians use a jet spray or bidet, along with liquid soap; instead of toilet paper

There was actually a run so to speak to have bidets installed.  There are also several toilet seats that provide bidet like service, that you can install on an existing toilet.  I may have seen some at Costco today, but didn't look closely. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauci-us-will-see-millions-of-cases-100000-coronavirus-deaths-2020-3

US will have 'millions of cases' and over 100,000 coronavirus-related deaths, Fauci says

"I mean, looking at what we're seeing now, I would say between 100,000 and 200,000 cases," Fauci said but corrected himself to say he was referring to deaths.

"We're going to have millions of cases," Fauci said.

https://globalhealth.washington.edu/news/2020/03/26/new-covid-19-forecasts-us-hospitals-could-be-overwhelmed-second-week-april-ihme

IHME’s analysis, based on observed death rates, estimates that over the next four months in the US, approximately 81,000 people will die from the virus. Estimates range between 38,000 and 162,000 US deaths.

The forecast predicts that 41 states will need more ICU beds than they currently have available and that 11 states may need to increase their ICU beds by 50% or more to meet patient needs before the current wave of the pandemic ends. (The end is defined as fewer than 10 deaths per day nationwide.)

4 hours ago, gatour said:

There was actually a run so to speak to have bidets installed.  There are also several toilet seats that provide bidet like service, that you can install on an existing toilet.  I may have seen some at Costco today, but didn't look closely. 

We have had a bidet for 2 years. (Actually 3 of them). Once you get one you will never go back. America is in stone ages in this department. Best money I ever spent 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...