Viking Venus - What is the status of her build?

mkerner

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

Update on Venus' position reporting: it appears the AIS is reporting continuously now, since at least Friday. On the other hand, she remains docked at the Fincantieri Ancona Shipyard. Signs of progress!

Affirmative, the AIS status has changed to "Active", but based on the information being transmitted, they are still setting up the integrated Bridge Command & Control system.

The ship's dimensions are no longer being registered, which is why this morning I noted her position as a single GPS position, without the ship's outline. The draught also shows as 10 m, which is too high. Being light ship, I would expect 6.5m or less.

Expect to see the information change over the coming days as all components are integrated and updated with the latest software versions.

• Like 2

All very interesting but, as depressed as I am this evening - after finding out that yet another cruise we have for May has just been canceled (not Viking) - I don't think I'm any longer interested in where the Venus is or in what state of readiness she's in. Now that my January sailing is down the tubes, I'm pretty much done with all things Venus-related until I hear more about what happens with rescheduling. Sorry...I know...I'm just in a crappy mood tonight. 

Best wishes to all for a great (or as good as possible) Thanksgiving. 

19 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Best wishes to all for a great (or as good as possible) Thanksgiving. 

Sorry to learn that your May cruise got cancelled. You also have a wonderful Thanksgiving albeit not with as many of your family around you except perhaps via Zoom. In the meantime -  be thankful that you're well and able to be as grumpy as you wish. 

Agreed. I'm so sorry...was really in a bad mood last night after receiving word of yet another cancellation. Somehow didn't expect a May cruise to be canceled quite so soon. But then, my sister-in-law told me her RCCL cruise for August is canceled. Similar problem in that the same itinerary is not being continued. It's looks like Celebrity Bemuda out of Cape Liberty is not being continued - so that's double the disappointment. 

36 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Agreed. I'm so sorry...was really in a bad mood last night after receiving word of yet another cancellation. Somehow didn't expect a May cruise to be canceled quite so soon. But then, my sister-in-law told me her RCCL cruise for August is canceled. Similar problem in that the same itinerary is not being continued. It's looks like Celebrity Bemuda out of Cape Liberty is not being continued - so that's double the disappointment. 

OTJ - any chance that your May cruise was more than 7 days. The latest guidelines from the US - CDC limits cruises operating from US waters to a max 7 days. Some pax have even had B2B 7-day cruises cancelled.

2 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Just enough time on board to start incubating the virus but not enough time on board for symptoms to start showing or to catch it on a test before flying home.

So true, as that was the only reason I could come up with that made sense.🙂

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Agreed. I'm so sorry...was really in a bad mood last night

No problem. My note was meant to comfort with a little bit of humor. Never to criticize. Hard to communicate nuances in posts like this. We are living in stressful times right now. All we can do is forge on with hope. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoesBoom said:

Question.  How long does it usually take Viking to issue FCC for a canceled cruise?

If they cancel the cruise, then it is comes as part of the cancellation notice. If you deleted that e-mail, call your TA or Viking to get it resent or at least get the FCC numbers and amount.

If you cancel the cruise, it has to go through the accounting department where it is checked and double checked and then checked again. I depends on how many cancellations are already in the pipeline ahead of you and could take a month or more.

Sadly, cancellations are also an opportunity for embezzlement and scams, thus lots of accounting hoops that have to be jumped through in order to protect the company and the legitimate guests. That is why it takes so long to issue the vouchers.

9 hours ago, GoesBoom said:

Question.  How long does it usually take Viking to issue FCC for a canceled cruise?

Also - if Viking cancelled the cruise - and you work directly with a Viking TA - your FCV is recorded in your account so  you don't even need to know the number. Don't know if this is the case if you don't interact directly with Viking. 

2 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Also - if Viking cancelled the cruise - and you work directly with a Viking TA - your FCV is recorded in your account so  you don't even need to know the number. Don't know if this is the case if you don't interact directly with Viking. 

Still, we should all have in writing in our possession the number and value of each one of the future cruise vouchers we have.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Still, we should all have in writing in our possession the number and value of each one of the future cruise vouchers we have.  

Totally agree and why I print out all significant emails from Viking and keep them in the 3-ring binder (active/past) or file folder (cancelled) I maintain for each trip. 

• Like 1

Did any of you watch viking tv this week?

Viking Ocean dedicated show.
Full of great footage and tour of bridge, etc.Talks from various captains,executive chef,chief engineer.

Tucked into the Q and A section at the end the captain mainly featured was asked about his upcoming schedule.

His reply .In the next two weeks I am flying over to Italy for the sea trials of Viking Venus

Progress.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Venus is scheduled for sea trials just before Christmas and delivery to owner in the Spring.

Makes sense,  The Star took 4 months between sea trials and the maiden voyage.  Why do they persist in saying the Venus will only take 6 weeks?

4 hours ago, GoesBoom said:

Makes sense,  The Star took 4 months between sea trials and the maiden voyage.  Why do they persist in saying the Venus will only take 6 weeks?

All depends on the state of completion when going out on trials, which may depend on when the yard Captain and crew are available.

On trials, the ship is still owned by the yard and flagged in Italy. While Viking will have at least 1 Captain onboard, the ship is under the command of a yard Captain.

They could leave trials until 6 weeks before delivery, but that's cutting it close if something doesn't work and requires replacement.