Anyone cancelling cruises for late 2020 out of uncertainty?

20 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Bonus if we can get parents to vaccinate their children before being allowed to enroll in school. We haven’t figured that one out yet either.

Your last point brings up a thought I’ve had this week about the general public and cruising: do you think people who aren’t on cruise critic have given much thought to the potential risks of taking a cruise in the near future? I don’t know if the average person would think to consider a cruise ship any more or less of a danger zone as anywhere else. Or maybe they would, I guess it depends on how much attention they’ve paid to the issues faced by people on the last few sailings. I wonder how much affect it will really have on future cruise bookings, especially if cruise lines start discounting and/or incentivizing bookings. I just don’t think the general public is all that informed, or wants to be, and people love a good deal.

California made vaccinations mandatory after the measles outbreak.  While you can get out of it with a doctor's note it is a lot harder now, whereas before you just had to sign a paper saying you disagreed.

• Like 1

We will be cancelling our November cruise from San Juan before final payment in July.  I'd rather be out a couple hundred dollars than our life.  We won't be cruising until a vaccine is available.  We are in the high risk age group, but healthy and want to stay that way. We've cancelled our All-Inclusive vacation to Jamaica later this month and a trip to Florida last month to visit friends.  I'm sure many of the people on the cruise ships that sailed in early March were well when they embarked.  I am a retired Health care professional so I know what they are going through on the front lines.  Speechless!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, soccernut1984 said:

We were supposed to sail on Indy on 4/13. Our cruise was canceled, and we immediately rebooked for November 2020 on Symphony.

For your own sake, make sure you educate yourself with what RCI will do in the case where there's an outbreak on your ship. Do they have plans in place to be able to dock the ship quickly if there are sick people on board? What guarantees do they have that will allow you to get off the ship ASAP if you're sick or even if you're well. Also, what have they put in place to ensure someone doesn't get on the ship with it or doesn't pick it up in a non-US port and bring it on the ship? What guarantees can they give you to ensure their crew doesn't have it? What are they going to do if you show up with a harmless cold and they deny you boarding?

My cruising days and flying days are over until there is a vaccine. This virus is just too virulent and easily spread to ignore and the last thing I want to happen to me or a loved one is to see them float around the ocean with 30% of the ship sick, begging for help.

Have a safe cruise if you do manage to go.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

For your own sake, make sure you educate yourself with what RCI will do in the case where there's an outbreak on your ship. Do they have plans in place to be able to dock the ship quickly if there are sick people on board? What guarantees do they have that will allow you to get off the ship ASAP if you're sick or even if you're well. Also, what have they put in place to ensure someone doesn't get on the ship with it or doesn't pick it up in a non-US port and bring it on the ship? What guarantees can they give you to ensure their crew doesn't have it? What are they going to do if you show up with a harmless cold and they deny you boarding?

My cruising days and flying days are over until there is a vaccine. This virus is just too virulent and easily spread to ignore and the last thing I want to happen to me or a loved one is to see them float around the ocean with 30% of the ship sick, begging for help.

My feelings exactly!!!!!!!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Jamericaneyes said:

We will be cancelling our November cruise from San Juan before final payment in July.  I'd rather be out a couple hundred dollars than our life.  We won't be cruising until a vaccine is available.  We are in the high risk age group, but healthy and want to stay that way. We've cancelled our All-Inclusive vacation to Jamaica later this month and a trip to Florida last month to visit friends.  I'm sure many of the people on the cruise ships that sailed in early March were well when they embarked.  I am a retired Health care professional so I know what they are going through on the front lines.  Speechless!!

As a healthcare professional you may know you may have taken your last cruise then. No guarantee of vaccine based on history of other viruses. Hope this is not the case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Absolutely agree. May never cruise again.  Even if it means losing our $500.  

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 10:49 AM, justKirbo said:

I hope my fears weren't taken as invalidating anyone else's response or actions and I sincerely apologize if that's how they read.

I worry about what's going to happen and for us, I needed to get our deposit back. That was the right move for us. I actually like seeing that others are determined to ride it all out with the cruise lines because we have been lucky enough to have taken eight cruises with our children and all but one were amazing (my mom died on one, that was awful, but it wasn't the cruise line's fault and we didn't give up on cruising). I think cruising for us, was a perfect vacation and I hope it survives for others to enjoy.

The right decision for us was to cancel and to move forward in life taking other kinds of vacations for the foreseeable future.

This is our intention as well. And our personal decision.   We are hoping to be able to get our deposit back $500     If not then it’s just money.  

• Like 1

We booked Alaska in September. We booked in February knowing the virus was gaining traction. Final payment not until June, so will decide then whether to go forward or not. I also need to reschedule a trip to WDW that was supposed to happen this month. Waiting on when parks will open/borders will open before determining new trip dates. 

1 hour ago, RoyalC said:

As a healthcare professional you may know you may have taken your last cruise then. No guarantee of vaccine based on history of other viruses. Hope this is not the case.

Yes I am fully aware that we may have taken our last cruise.  If so I can say that we have had 8 amazing cruises and have been to some awesome places.  Maybe its time to explore those places you have taken us and spend more time there.  Cruising is not the only way to vacation.  Sometimes we just need to slow down and enjoy the life we have!  I hope that in the future we can cruise again, but not in the foreseeable future for us.

• Like 2

We're booked September this year and May 2021. We'll go so long as RC don't cancel us.

We planned on doing plenty of travelling over the next 2-3 years and this hasn't put us off.

On 3/31/2020 at 4:16 PM, parrotfeathers said:

Thank you!  I'll research it.  Over the water suite sounds good.   I could pretend.

Hi! I didn't catch the first part of the question, so if I'm being noisy, I apologize.  Beaches Resort is overrun with kids, of ALL ages.  There are very few quiet sports at either of their resorts, Beaches Negril or Beaches Turks and Caicos.  Trust me on this, I've been to both. Nice properties, pleasant employees and kids everywhere!

- Clancy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Clancy14 said:

Hi! I didn't catch the first part of the question, so if I'm being noisy, I apologize.  Beaches Resort is overrun with kids, of ALL ages.  There are very few quiet sports at either of their resorts, Beaches Negril or Beaches Turks and Caicos.  Trust me on this, I've been to both. Nice properties, pleasant employees and kids everywhere!

- Clancy

I’ve stayed at the resort right next to Beaches in Negril (it was called Couples Swept Away), the beach itself is beautiful, and it’s situated perfectly for a view of the Jamaican sunset.

But I would agree that the Beaches resort felt like we stepped into the lobby of a daycare center. For people traveling with kids it was a good option, but as I mentioned in a post above, look into Secrets resorts if you want adults-only. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

2 hours ago, Jamericaneyes said:

Yes I am fully aware that we may have taken our last cruise.  If so I can say that we have had 8 amazing cruises and have been to some awesome places.  Maybe its time to explore those places you have taken us and spend more time there.  Cruising is not the only way to vacation.  Sometimes we just need to slow down and enjoy the life we have!  I hope that in the future we can cruise again, but not in the foreseeable future for us.

Great attitude. Much will change after this and normal will not be recognizable. From a personal level, much of what I have enjoyed about cruising is now a memory and its entirely not the fault of the cruise lines. But it is what it is. When we get clear of this thing, I'll see look then to see where things are. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 9:22 AM, trey420 said:

I still plan to go just to see the flabbergasted look on everyone's face at work when I even mention the Idea of going on a cruise.

My DW doesn’t want to mention to anyone that we booked a cruise last week for an October sailing. Her cruise was cancelled for the end of April and we were supposed to fly out Wednesday to visit relatives. We also have an Alaska cruise in August we will be playing by ear. But if it doesn’t sail, then we will have bigger problems.

Edited by Junkhouse

Already cancelled one and planning to cancel the other three for 2020. I then booked a 4/2021 cruise last week using some of my refund credits and now seriously looking at 8/2021 cruise. They will have to lock me up to stop me from cruising. 

We are booked on a B2B Eastern/Western Mediterranean July 2020 on the Explorer. Our final payment is due in about a week. 

For the past several weeks, we have been in "wait and see" mode. I have been leaning toward making our final payment and then let RC cancel us if necessary, and we would take the FCC. But at the same time I was hoping we would still be able to cruise and the FCC was just a backup plan.

As this thing has dragged on, I think it is becoming less and less possible that we will be able to sail, in no small part because we are flying to and sailing from Rome.  Italy has been hit so hard, I think it may be a very long time before their travel industry gets back up and running. 

I get the impression from this and other threads that very few people here believe cruises will be back to normal as early as this summer. 

So now we have the dilemma -- cancel before final payment in order to cut our losses, or just pay and then wait and see what happens. We have a total of $1000 in deposits, but $500 of that is refundable if we cancel now. The remaining $500 would be a FCC. I'm OK with that. But if there is truly no chance at all that we will sail, then I don't want to lock up several thousand dollars in an FCC that we may or not be able to use. 

The thing I am not OK with is losing the roughly 3K that we have spent on related travel expenses: $2000 on air. Several hundred on trip insurance (not "cancel for any reason") and a few hundred for a few days in a B&B in Rome pre-cruise. None of which is refundable. I'm not sure if there is anything at all that we can do about that. 

Another thing that bothers me is that half of our B2B is in an inside cabin. I don't think I could tolerate a quarantine under those conditions. I could live with it in a balcony cabin where at least I could open the door, see outside and get some fresh air. So even if RC says we can cruise, should we take the chance that a flare-up could put us into quarantine floating around the Med?

Sorry for the long post. Just thinking out loud, so to speak. Still so unsure what to do, like everyone else. Would welcome your thoughts.

But our problems pale in comparison to people who have the disease and especially those who have lost loved ones.  My thoughts are with all of you. I am a respiratory therapist so I am a front line responder, but thankfully my city has not been hit hard -- yet. 

• Like 3

It was easier for us to cancel our September 25 day TP from Vancouver and b2b Tokyo to Singapore before final payment as we had no other travel expenses, had not bought our flights to Vancouver and home from Singapore.  The way I see it, if RCI eventually cancels those cruises then we would have been in a long line of people getting refunds since March.  I would think every time RCI moves the opening cruises back another 30 days then a higher percentage will want refunds instead of FCC's.  Taking a $200 hit with NRD, but I am not paying any cruise line any money until I observe that they are cruising again successfully.  In addition we are currently in the boondocks in the Philippines,  don't know if our Manila to JFK flight on 4/21/20 is still happening.  Don't want to come back to Asia this fall, gonna spend 12 months in PA.  Being over 70 is just another fly in the ointment.

• Like 2