Anyone cancelling cruises for late 2020 out of uncertainty?

58 minutes ago, cawagner said:
  • We have a cruise booked for end of August 2020, we have to fly into NY/NJ airport.  Seriously thinking of switching to a cruise out of Port Canaveral end of August since we live in FL and wouldn't have to fly.

That sounds like a good idea. 

On 3/29/2020 at 3:20 PM, island lady said:

...........Since I currently have 28 cruises booked with RCI...I will find a home for the credit if I go that route.  😉 

I want your life. 🍹 🍹 🍹

• Like 2

On 3/29/2020 at 4:29 PM, LilBlackDress said:

We have a cruise booked in mid September. I see no reason to cancel it prematurely... If Royal Caribbean cancels it on me, I will cross that bridge when it happens. 

Cancelled a TP and Tokyo to Singapore 9/4 - 9/30/20 on Radiance.  Not gonna make final payment not knowing if I need a note from my doctor.  Had not purchased airline tickets, not gonna get caught up in that whole process, will wait at least a year before doing anything concerning a cruise.

5 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I suspect we will be coming back to a different cruising world, full of new regulations. Hopefully that means some of the old regulations get cleaned up as well. 

Would be shocking if PSVA got cleaned up.  Cruise ships going from NYC to Miami?   California to Hawaii?

We cancelled a Brilliance cruise due to the doctor's note requirement. We are 70+ and I have a heart condition and my wife has moderate asthma. Got my FCC today and RCI shorted me $60: 1st} explanation we used a travel agent; we used a direct RCI reservation... 2nd) explanation there was a cancellation penalty, RCI already waived the penalty 3rd) explanation that another department did the calculation, we will call you back is a few days. I don't think this is going in the right direction.

14 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I suspect we will be coming back to a different cruising world, full of new regulations. Hopefully that means some of the old regulations get cleaned up as well. 

PVSA was enacted in 1886.  Just a few things have changed since then.  😉  Hope indeed they change and bring this outdated law into the new century.  😮 

12 hours ago, indie said:

My wife and I are on the same sailing. In our 40s in decent health, but this thing is taking down healthy people. We look forward to cruising every year, that's our big memorable thing we work hard and spend the whole year looking forward to, but we are just going to see what happens until we near final payment. Not going to risk it over one trip.

We are also booked on that trip, plus the one before it (B2B).  Right now I have cruises starting to be picked off before that. 

6/11 Grandeur just last night, waiting for word on 5/31 Harmony, and most disappointing would be August B2B Alaska Radiance.  Then next up would be Grandeur B2B in September, plus Allure B2B2B Oct/November.  

Edited by island lady

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I want your life. 🍹 🍹 🍹

LOL...thanks.  Ironically...that life was just starting this year.  Bad timing.  😞  

Just doing the waiting game as Covid-19 is picking off my life one cruise at a time.  😥

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mugtech said:

Would be shocking if PSVA got cleaned up.  Cruise ships going from NYC to Miami?   California to Hawaii?

Why not?  PVSA was enacted in 1886.  How does this outdated law do us any good in this century?  We have flights doing interior US stops...which were not even invented in 1886.  😮 

10 hours ago, mugtech said:

Cancelled a TP and Tokyo to Singapore 9/4 - 9/30/20 on Radiance.  Not gonna make final payment not knowing if I need a note from my doctor.  Had not purchased airline tickets, not gonna get caught up in that whole process, will wait at least a year before doing anything concerning a cruise.

If I need a note, which I don't think I will need, I would have no problem getting it. My hematologist has suggested I cruise more often as my blood work numbers greatly improve. We are driving to the port so no airline tickets to buy... It would suck to pay it and then it be canceled but we can manage
I can appreciate others don't want to take a chance but to each their own. Whatever works best for each person 🙂

I’m sure this has been answered elsewhere but I can’t find it.

Final payment due this week NRD of $500.

Can I get the deposit as a FCC? Or can it only be transferred to another sailing to avoid penalty.

And if I cancel do I lose the whole $500?

FAQ section on Royals site didn’t really clear it up either.

48 minutes ago, MalteseMama2 said:

We have a Nov 2020 cruise booked on Allure and absolutely no plans to cancel. The ocean (and the SL) is our happy place! 😉

My happy place also but I'll have to add my balcony and the Schooner bar.  

Which leads to my question--I'm adjusting my cruising life and will wait until 2021 or so to go back to my happy places.  Is there anything comparable for another type of vacation?  I don't care for the beach.  I just love the ocean.  And good service.  I don't think I could tolerate a bunch of kids.   I don't know how to do ocean and no beach?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, newxmascruiser said:

I’m sure this has been answered elsewhere but I can’t find it.

Final payment due this week NRD of $500.

Can I get the deposit as a FCC? Or can it only be transferred to another sailing to avoid penalty.

And if I cancel do I lose the whole $500?

FAQ section on Royals site didn’t really clear it up either.

I just read(somewhere 😏) that they are waving the fee when transferring deposit to another date.

3 minutes ago, ash2bear said:

I just read(somewhere 😏) that they are waving the fee when transferring deposit to another date.

Right, but if one doesn't have a particular sailing in mind yet, you can take the FCC.

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Why not?  PVSA was enacted in 1886.  How does this outdated law do us any good in this century?  We have flights doing interior US stops...which were not even invented in 1886.  😮 

You might want to read up on the law. Would you rather have foreign companies come in and run the ferry systems, tour boat companies, dinner cruises, etc. It’s  not all about cruise ships. Foreign airlines do not have flights from one US to another, without originating or terminating in a foreign city.

Without the PVSA and Jones Act (for cargo), all other seafaring types of travel would not employ US workers, and  would not have the stringent safety rules the US has in place. Chengkp75 has explained this a lot more eloquently then myself, but there are reasons this law is still in place and works.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

You might want to read up on the law. Would you rather have foreign companies come in and run the ferry systems, tour boat companies, dinner cruises, etc. It’s  not all about cruise ships. Foreign airlines do not have flights from one US to another, without originating or terminating in a foreign city.

Without the PVSA and Jones Act (for cargo), all other seafaring types of travel would not employ US workers, and  would not have the stringent safety rules the US has in place. Chengkp75 has explained this a lot more eloquently then myself, but there are reasons this law is still in place and works.

Good point.  Though with foreign countries already buying up property and businesses here in the U.S.  I think that is already happening.  😉   

59 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

My happy place also but I'll have to add my balcony and the Schooner bar.  

Which leads to my question--I'm adjusting my cruising life and will wait until 2021 or so to go back to my happy places.  Is there anything comparable for another type of vacation?  I don't care for the beach.  I just love the ocean.  And good service.  I don't think I could tolerate a bunch of kids.   I don't know how to do ocean and no beach?

I was going to suggest Beaches resort, no kids. You could stay in one of those amazing over the water suites. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Ah...drats.  I was hoping we would be sailing again with you.  Alas...will wave to you as we disembark in Miami. 🙂    
We are bound to run into each other again! John & I wish we could cruise more than twice a year. We’ve been discussing how to make that happen. 

3 minutes ago, MalteseMama2 said:
6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Ah...drats.  I was hoping we would be sailing again with you.  Alas...will wave to you as we disembark in Miami. 🙂    
We are bound to run into each other again! John & I wish we could cruise more than twice a year. We’ve been discussing how to make that happen. 

Jump on into the retirement pool...the water is fine!  😄  I might not schedule as many full suites as we did when we were gainfully employed...but just happy to have the time to be on the sea more now...or so I thought I would be.  😮