Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

2 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Veendam and Maasdam have been for sale for a couple years now I think.  This one listed looks like the Volendam.  As I said, some of the pictures are from other ships but from the atrium pictures I was able to pin it down to the Volendam.  I'm really, really hoping that the Amsterdam doesn't go on the chopping block.  She's my favorite ship and I've spent just shy of 3 years on her all together. 

Yes, it's the Volendam...

The Atrium photos are of the Volendam.  But, some of the other photos in that web site link don't match what I saw on Volendam in December.  

Personally, regardless of the photos--they are just "ads" after all--I think if it is one of the R Class ships, it is the Zaandam.  Given the bad press she received early in the pandemic, corporate thinking may be that she is a pariah.  

• Like 1

Where is the Amsterdam?  Is she sailing off Indonesia?  If so, Singapore seems to be "opening" a bit.  Wouldn't a possible docking there to offload and ship world cruise guests luggage be possible from that location?

It's disappointing that we have not heard anything further from Captain Mercer since before he departed the Amsterdam.  I know he is now retired.  But, his blog seems very inappropriately "unfinished".  I know that Captain Albert does not blog unless he is "on duty".  Maybe that is what HAL permits?  If so, maybe that explains Captain Mercer's silence as well?

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Where is the Amsterdam?  Is she sailing off Indonesia?  If so, Singapore seems to be "opening" a bit.  Wouldn't a possible docking there to offload and ship world cruise guests luggage be possible from that location?

The Amsterdam is still in Manila Ba, the Captain’s companion just made cookies to send to the crew onboard. From what she said in her posting, crew have disembarked and crew are embarking. Our luggage still hasn’t been off loaded. Sarah Coles is suppose to be composing a letter to send to everyone. And the luggage will be delivered to Ft Lauderdale. Check the roll call, one of the passengers got a long e-mail from Sarah. And I received a message from her also.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

It's disappointing that we have not heard anything further from Captain Mercer since before he departed the Amsterdam.  I know he is now retired.  But, his blog seems very inappropriately "unfinished".  I know that Captain Albert does not blog unless he is "on duty".  Maybe that is what HAL permits?  If so, maybe that explains Captain Mercer's silence as well?

I'm sure Capt. Mercer has a lot of more important issues to deal with now that he is (hopefully) home again and trying to re-establish his life.  I will look forward to seeing the next edition of his book with a new chapter devoted to his last cruise.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope Captain Jonathan is enjoying himself a bit and will make his last post to his 2020 WC blog when he has time.  It may be a difficult and long post to compose.  There are so many things to cover and reflect on.  I am also looking forward to reading it when he is ready.  Cherie 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The Atrium photos are of the Volendam.  But, some of the other photos in that web site link don't match what I saw on Volendam in December.  

Personally, regardless of the photos--they are just "ads" after all--I think if it is one of the R Class ships, it is the Zaandam.  Given the bad press she received early in the pandemic, corporate thinking may be that she is a pariah.  

The pic in the ad is the "R"-class ship Volendam which entered service in 1999. Her identical sister Zaandam entered service in 2000. The two co-flagships and near, not identical, "R"-class sisters, Rotterdam and Amsterdam, entered service in 1997 and 2000 

10 hours ago, Storylady said:

The Amsterdam is still in Manila Ba, the Captain’s companion just made cookies to send to the crew onboard. From what she said in her posting, crew have disembarked and crew are embarking. Our luggage still hasn’t been off loaded. Sarah Coles is suppose to be composing a letter to send to everyone. And the luggage will be delivered to Ft Lauderdale. Check the roll call, one of the passengers got a long e-mail from Sarah. And I received a message from her also.

Sarah C. is good people and very experienced in getting Amsterdam GWV luggage home! She'll take care of business but, like anything else Covid-19 quarantine related, she and subsequently, HAL is/are at the mercy of the local authorities 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2020 at 7:11 PM, Indianadaytripper said:

Received an email from Holland America guest relations last week.Their unable to get clearance to unload our luggage in Manila. They are trying to obtain clearance in Malaysia to unload in a container for shipment to U.S. No time frame was given..

Yea and the back up plan is..........

On 6/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, Indianadaytripper said:

Received an email from Holland America guest relations last week.Their unable to get clearance to unload our luggage in Manila. They are trying to obtain clearance in Malaysia to unload in a container for shipment to U.S. No time frame was given..

I hope they get it to you by hook or by crook.  This whole situation is a big mess.

The Amsterdam off-loaded non-essential Indonesian employees on May 6 in Jakarta (pg 14, posts 339-346) before heading to Manila.   Can anyone tell me why they are heading back to Jakarta instead of going to Malaysia?  Were all of the Indonesian employees eligible to leave not given a ride to shore?  Please point me to the posts that may have already been made that answer my question.  I have really enjoyed reading the saga of the Amsterdam which was supplemented by Captain Jonathan's blog.  Thanks for any help to clear my confusion.    Cherie  

4 hours ago, cccole said:

I have really enjoyed reading the saga of the Amsterdam which was supplemented by Captain Jonathan's blog. 

Which without explanation has ended.  Even a "good book" often has an Epilogue.