My agent told me Carnival wont cruise till at least August.

LongHill44

I've decided to just hunker down and accept no travel at all this year and possibly part of next. It's hard, but we need to get this crisis behind us and that should take precedence before anything else. Personally, i'm going to wait until they come out with a vaccine before going anywhere. If that takes another 18 months or more, so be it. The cruise ships will still be there when this is all over. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

It's only a matter of time before enforcement starts if people keep opposing the stay at home orders.

here in NYC, they ordered NYPD to enforce social distancing and places that might be too crowded. wont be surprised to see them go after stay at home next

3 hours ago, ray98 said:

The board at Carnival doesn't know so there is no way some random agent does.

I think it is safe to say senior management at Carnival has a pretty good idea when they can realistically return to operations. Whatever that timeframe is they surely won’t be announcing it to the public. They will continue to cancel cruises 30 days at a time, with the next announcement cancelling cruises into early June. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, shof515 said:

here in NYC, they ordered NYPD to enforce social distancing and places that might be too crowded. wont be surprised to see them go after stay at home next

And I was called a Fearmongoer ?

earlier today by a another CC member

i guess some still don’t get it 

I heard today on tv today from a medical dr that they’re expecting the peak to be in 7~21 days (I know that’s a wide range of days),, but maybe a good sign for the later summer months. Here’s hoping at least 🙏🏻😬

https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/31/cruise-ship-company-carnival-to-raise-6-billion-in-stock-and-debt-shares-jump.html?usqp=mq331AQQKAGYAerB0_380aH3erABIA%3D%3D&amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https://www.google.com

It is speculation, but I don't think that is inaccurate. I Itrongly suspect they are only canceling one month at a time to hold on to refund money longer.  See above.  

As someone else said, we can't look at China. Italy and other European countries are our guidepost. Italyis 6-8 weeks into this. First death was around Feb 21.  They are just now starting to see the numbers not increase.  It will probably be 6-8 weeks or more for the US.  I suspect it will be mid to late summer before things are back to some version of normal.  

I hope this all gets sorted out as soon as possible. I just booked the PANORAMA again for August 15th. So cheap, I couldn't let that one go by. Loved her the first time. Now all this 80-year-old has to worry about is staying alive 'til then. 😰

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, glrounds said:

I hope this all gets sorted out as soon as possible. I just booked the PANORAMA again for August 15th. So cheap, I couldn't let that one go by. Loved her the first time. Now all this 80-year-old has to worry about is staying alive 'til then. 😰

Chin up

No one has mentioned that the U.S. Curve/peak is not the only one we need to consider. Port regions, such as the islands in Caribbean need to be taken into account as well. They are several weeks behind us and may still be on shelter in place when we are heading out of this mess. I want to book end of August, but I do not want a cruise to nowhere.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bahacca said:

No one has mentioned that the U.S. Curve/peak is not the only one we need to consider. Port regions, such as the islands in Caribbean need to be taken into account as well. They are several weeks behind us and may still be on shelter in place when we are heading out of this mess. I want to book end of August, but I do not want a cruise to nowhere.

That got me thinking.  I wonder if they would begin with cruises to one of the private islands like Half Moon Cay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeaPink0409 said:

I heard today on tv today from a medical dr that they’re expecting the peak to be in 7~21 days (I know that’s a wide range of days),, but maybe a good sign for the later summer months. Here’s hoping at least 🙏🏻😬

Hope is a good thing.  This industry needs some good news

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bahacca said:

This is one topic that people of this message board seem to conveniently overlook, that is JUST as important as to what we are all asking here in the U.S....when can we sail...More importantly, When will port destinations be open???

Edited by Joe817
  • Like 1

Based on availability of open ports and any additional screenings, I would say it’s a safe bet that it will be a slow ramp up with lots of precautions. Using private islands such as Half Moon, Princess cay, Amber Cove etc... they might start with a ship or two and expand from there. Any additional ships will need to wait for Mexico or Bahamas to allow ships. 

Based on what I have heard in the industry, early to mid June start might be feasible and ramp up from there. CCL brand (Holland America and Costa )will be a longer to start back up, perhaps the fall due to demographics and international ports. 

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

That got me thinking.  I wonder if they would begin with cruises to one of the private islands like Half Moon Cay.

[gulp] The Pacific doesn't have a Half Moon Cay. All stops the PANORAMA makes are three ports in Mexico ! 😞

1 minute ago, xDisconnections said:

Makes me wonder if they’ll swap the itinerary to a California Coastal.

Interesting idea Disconnections. I'd love it. I've done the Mexican Riviera a bazillion times. What a breath of fresh air. What are the stops on that itinerary ?

3 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Interesting idea Disconnections. I'd love it. I've done the Mexican Riviera a bazillion times. What a breath of fresh air. What are the stops on that itinerary ?

They usually include LA, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and San Diego. Some smaller ships may add on Catalina Island and longer cruises even head up towards Oregon and stop at Astoria. Of course, there’s always a stop in Ensenada to satisfy the PVSA with a near foreign port.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

First, I'd just like to say that I wished forum moderators would create one giant "Post your speculations here" thread. We have multiple threads talking about it, plus it's constantly brought up in other threads. None of us know anything. This whole mess is ever-changing. It's changing by the week, by the day, and in some cases, by the hour. We don't know where we'll be in 30-60-90 days, so I think it's pointless to sit around and speculate all day, every day as to when they'll resume cruising.

For a change of pace, let's speculate on when the CC Carnival forum will get back to some semblance of normality. I understand there are no cruises right now, but there doesn't really need to be in order to talk about cruising. I think it'd do us all a world of good to take a break from the covid-19 talk for a while. That's why I think it'd be a good idea to loosen the "stay on topic" policy for a while and let us have some regular conversations, because everyone's going stir crazy.

13 hours ago, stetucke said:

Carnival expected to be back April 11th as well. They are very likely to push back again.

There's been a few comments about the initial April return date that Carnival gave, almost as if to say they were wrong to do it. Like I said above, this situation changes regularly. No one could have predicted a few weeks ago what was to come. Nor do they know for sure what's to come once we reach their new May 11th date. In Carnival's defense, that initial return date was more than likely based on governmental guidelines that were set when this whole mess kicked off. It wasn't just Carnival. Governmental bodies all over the country were setting dates in early April to return back to normal. The announcement to close our schools came on 3/16. They were only set to be closed from 3/17 - 3/30. The same dates applied to our restaurants and bars. At the time, they simply didn't know it was getting worse. Only three short days later, our Gov. announced the stay-at-home order, but even that was only initially set to last until 4/7. Now that it's been extended, even that is for one more month. Then they'll re-evaluate, just like Carnival, the other lines, and everyone else who's going through this. You can't fault Carnival for doing this a month, or about a month & a half, at a time.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CPHS said:

With the new test they showed yesterday that provides results in 5 minutes I can see the cruise industry using this at least for the near term. They could test everyone who boards to be sure all are safe to cruise. Might take some time but would certainly be an option for them

That test gives positive results in 5 minutes, but takes 13 minutes to give a negative result. That means if 5 minutes went by and it didn't give a positive result, you'd still have to wait the 13 minutes for every passenger in order to get the negative result. It's simply not feasible to administer a 5 minute test to thousands of passengers, let alone 13 minutes. Besides, like someone else said, if you get a positive result, that means everyone around that person is exposed.