Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Good morning.  It’s a mild but overcast day in Sydney.  You can see a glimpse of the Ovation at the OPT.  C3F73510-52DF-4922-8B8D-D31D8093AD6F.thumb.jpeg.83ee8713ef94cdd656e7517e6d9f3ef1.jpeg

Ovation departs tonight for a 10 day cruise to New Zealand.  Be nice spending Easter on board. Wishing them calm seas & beautiful weather.

we have friends on the way to the ship now.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Our grandson Jack, who is a Sophomore in high school, just came home and told me about two Awards he was given.  One is for Best Documentation , and the second is for Best Film in Ocean County.  He never ceases to amaze me!  Jack actually produced his first documentation, along with his classmate, on Autism when he was in the fifth grade.  He and his friend were invited to the end of the year School Board meeting, where they presented their film to those assembled there.  He makes us so proud!!

Way to go Jack 👏👏👏!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

A zissen peach to you and family,Bonnie .We were supposed to be going to one of my daughters but instead everyone is coming to my house .

Thanks, Lenny.  We'll be going to my nephew for the 1st seder and we'll be 14.  No plans for the 2nd one. Enjoy your seder surrounded by loved ones.

• Like 4

On 4/2/2023 at 12:59 PM, dani negreanu said:

It's never too late to start 😉

Many new contributors joined lately, welcome to all, and the more -- the merrier 🌷

Like everyone else said, thanks for starting a thread that got us thru the pandemic and beyond. It has been fun getting to know people on here and actually meeting some. Some day I hope to meet you and your husband.

On 4/3/2023 at 9:01 AM, ValerieJo said:

Making a Costco run today.  Anyone need anything?  😁

It’s supposed to hit 60° today.   I think it will be the first time this year.  Of course, back in the 40’s tomorrow. ☹️

We went yesterday for something and come out with these. They have more pink and look much better than the picture shows.

https://www.costco.com/pink-flamingo-pair.product.4000066895.html

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Posting for the 1st time from my new MacBook Pro.  It came in today.  So much to learn and setup.  he sure was easy to sign into CC

So jelly!! My first computer (1980's) was an Atari 1040ST. It was a megabyte of RAM and a monochrome monitor for under $1K. I LOVED that computer. The only reason I did not jump on MAC when they came out, was Atari led us to believe their platform was going to be Windows Compatible.... Instead they turned to gaming and left us hanging. By then I was already invested in Windows hardware/software. When my current computer goes belly-up I will be a MAC girl... (well, I already am if you count my makeup, lol!)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Husky1987 said:

Wow.  Wow.  Wow.

I watched this the minute I got home from work.  I had always heard the legendary stories of Connie Hawkins on the playgrounds of NYC, but hadn't heard the same about Roger Brown.  All I knew was he was one of many ABA stars...I didn't know he may have been THE star.  So many tributes from others more well known...it's always fascinating to hear those say "You think I was something?  Let me tell you about..."

@lenquixote66 thank you so much for leading me here.  I love stories of triumph and redemption.  Especially after being treated so horribly wrong.  

Would love to hear of your involvement!

I am glad that you liked the film.Roger and I were friends in HS.For some reason when male students were seated in the assembly they were in height order.Roger was 6’4 1/2 inches and I was 6’5.For two years every Wednesday we sat next to each other.I was at the March 15,1960 basketball game that was discussed in the film.It was the greatest game I ever saw in person.

Fast forward to 2010,a documentary film maker in Indiana wanted to make a movie about Roger but knew very little of his early life.He got in touch with the President of our HS alumni assn and asked who he should talk to and she said Lenny…….She e-mailed me and asked if she can give the guy my e-mail address.We had 45 hours of conversation ,e-mail and phone.When the movie was finished he sent me a DVD and a very nice hand written letter.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Thanks, Lenny.  We'll be going to my nephew for the 1st seder and we'll be 14.  No plans for the 2nd one. Enjoy your seder surrounded by loved ones.

Thanks Bonnie,we will be 13 adults tomorrow,1 teenager,2 toddlers and 1 dog.Thursday we will be 6 adults,1 teenager,1 toddler and 1 dog.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Wow.  Wow.  Wow.

I watched this the minute I got home from work.  I had always heard the legendary stories of Connie Hawkins on the playgrounds of NYC, but hadn't heard the same about Roger Brown.  All I knew was he was one of many ABA stars...I didn't know he may have been THE star.  So many tributes from others more well known...it's always fascinating to hear those say "You think I was something?  Let me tell you about..."

@lenquixote66 thank you so much for leading me here.  I love stories of triumph and redemption.  Especially after being treated so horribly wrong.  

Would love to hear of your involvement!

I was also involved with another sports documentary.My best friend passed away from Covid on April 4,2020.He was a Hall Of Fame Handball player.A filmmaker from NJ was in the process of making a Documentary about my friend .He obtained my e-mail address from my friends wife.

We had numerous e-mail conversations.He began filming in July 2019 and his last interview with my friend was in March.

After my friend passed away he decided not to complete the film.Instead he took the footage that he had compiled and made it into a short film only to be viewed by my friends wife and children.My friends wife asked that a copy be sent to me.The film maker sent it to me and gave me permission to share it with anyone I knew who also knew my friend.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, brillohead said:

So, today was the day -- I finally met my birth father, Bill!

Bill and his brother Jack drove up from Alabama.  They checked in to their hotel, and then called me to join them.  They were waiting out in the lobby when I got there... Jack wanted to catch the meeting on video, but his shaky 81yo hands didn't quite get the job done, so we staged a repeat that was recorded on my phone by a hotel employee!  LOL

We went to their room and they showed me some pics, and then we headed out to dinner.  I had given them a list of restaurant options earlier in the day, and they somehow chose Red Lobster (I say "somehow" because those two squabble like no two siblings I've ever seen!  It's all good-natured, but they sure do pick on each other something fierce!).  

Jack and I did most of the talking during dinner... I get the feeling that Bill is the quieter of the two in general.  But it wasn't an uncomfortable situation of him not talking -- he answered questions and interjected on occasion, he just wasn't as talkative as Jack and I were.

After dinner, we went to my Aunt Linda's (their younger sister) house.  I met her and her husband, then their son came with his family, and the grandsons who live in the basement came up and joined the group, too.  The living room got pretty loud, with multiple conversations crossing the room at the same time.

Tomorrow morning is breakfast with Bill, Jack, and Linda, and my son Matthew is joining us.  I'm going to take a pad of paper and a pen and try to write down as many names and relationships as I can -- this big family thing is totally new to me!  Tomorrow night is dinner again, hopefully my son and his girlfriend can join us as well.  Then going back to Aunt Linda's house after dinner to meet her daughter who couldn't make it out tonight.  Bill and Jack head back to Alabama on Wednesday morning.  

Such a warm, loving family... and everyone accepted me with open arms, literally -- hugs from everyone.  I've already been invited out to Aunt Linda's for "Easter" dinner on Saturday before I go to work... I might make everyone wear nametags!  LOL

I took the time to look in Bill's eyes and tell him that he has NOTHING to feel guilty about -- he had absolutely no way of knowing that I ever existed.  I can tell that he does feel guilt over it, but hopefully in time it will fade.  The second he knew the truth, he stepped right up and claimed me and accepted me, which is more than anyone has really ever done for me before. 

I really do feel like I won the lottery with this family discovery. 

(And I just went online and bought five tickets for tomorrow night's Mega Millions lottery drawing, just in case my luck holds out!) 

211760753_359949302156151_644912274469664342_n.jpg

This is amazing.  Honestly, I have never read such a positive outcome from a search for a birth parent.  I can see this wonderful family making up for lost time with you.  Glad they are all embracing you & your son.  Hope you have a wonderful Easter and good luck with that lottery but you’ve “won” already.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Agreed +1

Like all her posts are a test to understand. I feel like she used to be a teacher or something and I feel like a student of her's and I'm getting tested.

She is definitely a teacher.  And I am guessing from your comments you are a very bad student!😂

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am glad that you liked the film.Roger and I were friends in HS.For some reason when male students were seated in the assembly they were in height order.Roger was 6’4 1/2 inches and I was 6’5.For two years every Wednesday we sat next to each other.I was at the March 15,1960 basketball game that was discussed in the film.It was the greatest game I ever saw in person.

Fast forward to 2010,a documentary film maker in Indiana wanted to make a movie about Roger but knew very little of his early life.He got in touch with the President of our HS alumni assn and asked who he should talk to and she said Lenny…….She e-mailed me and asked if she can give the guy my e-mail address.We had 45 hours of conversation ,e-mail and phone.When the movie was finished he sent me a DVD and a very nice hand written letter.

Incredible.  It must've been something to watch him play HS basketball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Yes, an M1 chip.  I was tempted to go with the M2 but there wasn't much difference and the M1 was $600 off.  With the discount I couldn't justify the M2 over the M1.  I will post a pic of the sticker that was on it that explains what I got.  Let me know if you can read it.

20230404_124316.thumb.jpg.d277766dd6fc4c9dc274b3c8fa7da80d.jpg

I need a new MacBook Pro…. My current two, and my newest probably 4 years old, the touch pad is twitchy, from editing too many videos.  Does the newest version have same touch part as the old, replacing the long ago departed mouse?

7 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Our grandson Jack, who is a Sophomore in high school, just came home and told me about two Awards he was given.  One is for Best Documentation , and the second is for Best Film in Ocean County.  He never ceases to amaze me!  Jack actually produced his first documentation, along with his classmate, on Autism when he was in the fifth grade.  He and his friend were invited to the end of the year School Board meeting, where they presented their film to those assembled there.  He makes us so proud!!

Congratulations to Jack.  Can I ask what made him decide to do a doco on Autism?  Was it due to a classmate or family member? (If that’s too personal and you would rather not say, I understand)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Any Doobie Brothers fans here?  My BIL has just driven from Adelaide to Sydney (1,374.6km) to see them perform at the State Theatre in Sydney over the Easter Long Weekend.

We are going to a Doobie Brother’s concert in June.  I tried to get out of it.  Saying we had seen them many times while they were young, and even when they were old, but apparently I lost that argument.  😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 4