Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

There are probably many furry family members that don’t like this holiday. The sound of the fireworks can be scary. My dog trembles and goes into extreme panic mode. My veterinarian prescribed something to give him for today.

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, derorim said:

That looks like a very nice basement. I hope you get your water intrusion issue resolved so it doesn’t reoccur.

It is where our home theater is. We haven’t used as much in the last few years. May need to rethink it.

28 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Greg - You might want to run a dehumidifier for several days.  I'd even look into renting a commercial unit.  The drywall can absorb the moisture on the floor, and it will "wick" up several inches.  If you don't get all of the moisture out of the drywall, mold can form.  We had our basement flood (about 2 inches of standing water) in Cincinnati and hired a professional to do the cleanup.  They ran a dehumidifier for about a week, checking the moisture level in the drywall every couple of days.  They initial sensed moisture in the wall more than 6 inches above the floor...well above the water level.

PSA - Our basement flooded because of an extended power outage that overflowed the sump.  We had a battery back-up for the sump pump, but I didn't routinely check that the battery was properly charged, and the battery failed when we needed it.  I decided to install a water powered sump pump as a backup, and a moisture alarm at the top of the sump (I was NOT going to have that problem again).  The water powered sump pump works by having the water in your house flow through a valve that in turn sucks up water from the sump.  IIRC, every 3 gallons of water flowing caused 1 gallon of water to be "pumped out".  Here's an example model.  There are several on the market.

I have a dehumidifier down there and it’s always running during the summer months.

The water did not accumulate very much just to wet the pad and carpet. The sump pump pit is dry as our builder ran the drain tile around the foundation into the sewer.

Upon further inspection it looks like around my basement window sill some dirt is gone.

IMG_4676.thumb.jpeg.2f5dfc3af8c3d3910b22d7d72fae00f1.jpeg

Maybe this is where the water is coming from.

14 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't understand how the floor gets wet if the sump pump hole is dry.🤔

That’s what I don’t understand. The drain tile around the house goes into place he sewer so in 26 years we have never had the sump pump turn on.

We had water in the same area before and we traced it to no flashing that was installed above in the kitchen. We had that repaired and thought we would be free of any problems.

It also doesn’t help that we got 7 inches of rain in the last couple of days.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Happy July 4h and Happy Birthday to Shelagh.

Best fireworks EVER was in the Bronx, I think Van Cortlandt Park, circa mid 70s or so. Arthur Fiedler conducting the Boston Pops.  Free outdoor concert on the lawn.  Sitting on blankets, munching cheese, fruit, drinking wine, etc. The culmination was the 1812 Overture with cannon shots and the most awesome fireworks display.  All these years later, it was a night I'll never forget.

Don't know if it is still held, every year Richmond hosted the Independence Day celebration at the Dell in Dogwood Park on the James River. The pops band played and the highlight was the 1812 with howitzers, fireworks over the river, and the Carillon bells. Nothing like here at the beach other than fireworks every night all summer. Our trees have grown so much we no longer get a view to the south, only to the north.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Not a 4th of July issue…but back to the talk of cats drinking milk reminded me of polite Minnie…when the dish was too small for her to drink out of while her sister was drinking.

Our first two cats were totally different if the tabby got to the food bowl first she would stick her head in it until she was done , if Siamese was first he would take a bit then move his head so other cat could eat . Each cat has there own personality that’s for sure .

• Like 6

13 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

The Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty may be tourist traps that most locals won't stop foot in it but I assume many New Yorker at one time or another have visited Central Park.

I'm a big fan of the TV series, Law and Order, which is based on the Manhattan DA office. Based on that show, you would think every other that walks around Central Park has a good odds of bring shot or robbed.

But the biggest danger I experienced during my half day visit at the park are the crazy bicyclists that think they own the road. It's a miracle half of the people walking around don't get run over by a crazy bicyclist.

20240702_104928.thumb.jpg.126fa11fb1200a8d576c2b675f401932.jpg

20240702_112511.thumb.jpg.aeef089b99f92905a2471ede31798b1b.jpg

20240702_111125.thumb.jpg.1a55829d8a42aaa24ae6205fca4284d2.jpg

20240702_112610.thumb.jpg.6e4a83070b2b0a742106aab341ef5ef4.jpg

20240702_120540.thumb.jpg.884142e9c178c2a318bcde3ce0d95c24.jpg

20240702_121924.thumb.jpg.44fcd04391ae7e05eda80a62fc414ca1.jpg

20240702_130348.thumb.jpg.f52ef0d771bd8bae06a9a5b0ddaea88b.jpg

20240702_144059.thumb.jpg.a854de9b77ccc6f8a1390bc57ab75fc6.jpg

Our oldest daughter got engaged on the bridge in your picture.

One of our twin daughters was married in Poet's Walk in Central Park.  We arrived by horse and Carriage.  It was a beautiful evening in June.  She then had a small Reception in one of the restaurants in South Street Seaport.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Happy 4th!  This video appeared last year.  Be careful everyone.

I sure remember that from last year!  I hate being any where near firecrackers.  Years ago, my brother set off a bunch of firecrackers, and one of them landed in my denim blazer pocket.  I thought I was well away from where he shot them off.  Apparently not far enough away!  Scary!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Rough night last night with heavy storms and rain. Because we have hills all behind us we get nailed. Luckily it flows between the houses but I have a lot cleanup to do.

IMG_4671.thumb.jpeg.c5482c0e4f2b735adcdb52879d84b44b.jpeg

IMG_4672.thumb.jpeg.e8344e32bea9300ab2c30afefb6ae53f.jpeg

Wow.  It looks like you've got your work set out for you, Greg!  Sorry it left such a mess!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The hits keep on getting better. Basement has a soaked carpet at one end. Sump pump hole was dry so not exactly how the water is coming in even though we did extra waterproofing when we built the house. Needless to say I am upset on this holiday I already hate.

IMG_4674.thumb.jpeg.9e28a54820390a84767e1eea160ef3ea.jpeg

Oh man, that's awful, Greg!  I hope nothing's gotten ruined as a result.  It's a good thing that you discovered this when you did.  So sorry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Looks like we may be getting a new family member tomorrow.  Granddaughter who lives with us wants a puppy for her 16th birthday.  Her birthday is in August but they saw this puppy so are going to look at her tomorrow. Name will be changed I guess.

IMG_2121.jpeg.7a2034bbe52e0be0c1685589827196ae.jpeg

How adorable!!!

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Car is packed, washed & cleaned inside and out and has a full tank of gas. Making sandwiches and a snack bag while waiting for Little Miss HBE4 to come home from work so we can hit the road. Hopefully everyone is where they need to be so the roads will be clear and it'll be a smooth drive. GPS says 4 1/2 hours but it's usually closer to 5.

Happy 4th to all!

Safe travels!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaniDanielle said:

Charlie is not happy about this, but the kid has always wanted a dog so here’s hoping it works out.

Hopefully she will be a good puppy!  Our daughter really lucked out with Lola.  She is an absolute doll, so obedient, and is just a love.  We feel that she is actually more human than dog.  Lola was a Rescue dog, who was very needy after going through two or three homes due to weird circumstances (none of them her fault), but she has finally realized she's finally got a home where she is loved and needed by all of us who love her so very much, and that she's here to stay forever!

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We have to get a hyper allergenic dog because my older daughter’s kids have allergies so that’s why this one.

Asthma is a problem in our family.   Our daughter, Finnley's mom, has ended up in the hospital just being in a room that a cat was in awhile but not when she was. Dogs bother her too.  Her family now has a standard poodle 🐩 that doesn't trigger her asthma. 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Asthma is a problem in our family.   Our daughter, Finnley's mom, has ended up in the hospital just being in a room that a cat was in awhile but not when she was. Dogs bother her too.  Her family now has a standard poodle 🐩 that doesn't trigger her asthma. 

I had a couple of hospital visits because of being allergic to cats , did shots for a couple of years , then grew out of the allergy. I always carry a rescue inhaler but very rarely use it . Only time I seem to need it is in Denver because the mile high atmosphere. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

My daughters are all allergic to cats.  Years ago, my daughter stroked a cat, which licked her.  She immediately broke out in hives.  My MIL had a dog years ago, that my oldest daughter and I would get extremely itchy around.  No other dogs, just that one.  It was a mutt that had wiry hair.

• Like 3