Additional deposit request to extend final payment

Cruise 27 Sep 2020 RC Explorer of the Seas Rome to Rome

We have just been offered through our TA an extension for final payment by 11 days, July 3,  for an additional cost of AU$210 additional deposit? per person. Not sure if it is from RC or TA.

What a joke. 

I know RC is saying, via email I received, they are hoping to "get back to making memories beginning May12, 2020" except North America,  they must know something I don't know about the coronavirus disappearing from the rest of the world by then, ports will be open, except NA and people will be very happy to sail the Med etc in just over 5 weeks. 

Our travel ban has no end date at the moment and we would not be travelling to Italy etc in the next few weeks probably months. I don't think it is safe to travel anywhere at the moment and that will not change by May12.

Maybe is a way to get final payment instead of cancellations, possible to fill RC bank account considering the position they are in at the moment. 

The Aust government extended its ban on cruising until mid May so maybe this is what RC is relying on. Frankly, I think, like you, that expecting cruising to start in May in akin to believing in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. Instead of travelling, we have a 'travelling extension of bans'.

I doubt very much that a cruise from Italy will take place in September this year. Can you get the final payment delayed further by contacting your TA. If I was in your position, I would not pay any more deposit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nanaof2 said:

Not sure if it is from RC or TA.

I'd send off an email (unless you can get through by phone) to RCI asking them if this is their idea and if not, ask them to send a rocket up your TA. Expecting any tourist travel to Italy this year is absurd. They are trying to sell a product that doesn't exist.

the TA is through our "national" airline. 

Just for information, this morning I checked the prices for the same category cabins, 2, one is now selling for +$2000 and the other for +$2500. WOW. Not many cabins left and RC must expect a rush for the ones left. 

1 hour ago, nanaof2 said:

Cruise 27 Sep 2020 RC Explorer of the Seas Rome to Rome

We have just been offered through our TA an extension for final payment by 11 days, July 3,  for an additional cost of AU$210 additional deposit? per person. Not sure if it is from RC or TA.

What a joke. 

I know RC is saying, via email I received, they are hoping to "get back to making memories beginning May12, 2020" except North America,  they must know something I don't know about the coronavirus disappearing from the rest of the world by then, ports will be open, except NA and people will be very happy to sail the Med etc in just over 5 weeks. 

Our travel ban has no end date at the moment and we would not be travelling to Italy etc in the next few weeks probably months. I don't think it is safe to travel anywhere at the moment and that will not change by May12.

Maybe is a way to get final payment instead of cancellations, possible to fill RC bank account considering the position they are in at the moment. 

I don’t think you will be going on that cruise and someone is trying to get some extra money out of you before they go bust.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 2

I was just over at the Princess board and read the first post in the thread "Keep watching the cruise personaliser".

Looks like if his post is correct that Princess may be starting to do this as well.

4 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Can you pass the wording on?

Just to clarify, couple of months ago the TA sent a form to fill out if we wanted to be advised for any changes from RC. This appears to be the reply. Also, one of the cabins has a refundable deposit, but looks like that have ignored that part. The $210 is per person!

EMAIL received:

Please be advised that we have not received an updated notification from the cruise line regarding cancel sailing.

If you wish to cancel booking, deposit is forfeited.

If you wish to extend final due date, we will require that you make full deposit payment of AU$210.00 and extension for final payment will be Friday 03rd July 2020.

I await your kind advise.

1 minute ago, nanaof2 said:

Just to clarify, couple of months ago the TA sent a form to fill out if we wanted to be advised for any changes from RC. This appears to be the reply. Also, one of the cabins has a refundable deposit, but looks like that have ignored that part. The $210 is per person!

EMAIL received:

Please be advised that we have not received an updated notification from the cruise line regarding cancel sailing.

If you wish to extend final due date, we will require that you make full deposit payment of AU$210.00 and extension for final payment will be Friday 03rd July 2020.

I would ask the Royal Caribbean forum for advice.

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Is it a legitimate email?

I t could be a scam,they are very convincing sometimes 

Yes it is, hope so anyway, not that I would give them any more without actually contacting by phone the TA. Got 2 separate email saying the same except different amounts as one cabin has more people and is a different booking number. 

I have replied requesting explanation as to why would I want to do this 3 months out of departure etc.

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I would ask the Royal Caribbean forum for advice.

I have also put this on the Meet and Greet for the cruise. 

Waiting for replies to see if I'm unique😌

Will let you know.

17 minutes ago, sewgood said:

I was just over at the Princess board and read the first post in the thread "Keep watching the cruise personaliser".

Looks like if his post is correct that Princess may be starting to do this as well.

Oh no!! 

18 minutes ago, nanaof2 said:

EMAIL received:

Thanks. With respect to the earlier poster, and the fact the above says "full deposit" it does sound like you got a promo deposit where you pay some token or smaller amount, and these bookings normally have earlier final payment than usual.

Is it the case that you did only pay a small deposit and the above is letting you switch to the regular deposit terms? 

38 minutes ago, sewgood said:

Futher reading of this post showed the person only paid a few pounds for their deposit.

I read that thread yesterday. I think the person paid one pound each deposit. It was suggested that the request to pay more was to bring the amount paid up to the normal deposit amount.

4 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Thanks. With respect to the earlier poster, and the fact the above says "full deposit" it does sound like you got a promo deposit where you pay some token or smaller amount, and these bookings normally have earlier final payment than usual.

Is it the case that you did only pay a small deposit and the above is letting you switch to the regular deposit terms? 

Don't know. We paid what they asked for, and still are, no mention of a different amount for deposit. Had a look at an US TA smallish deposit and final payment is 2 days before ours.

12 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I read that thread yesterday. I think the person paid one pound each deposit. It was suggested that the request to pay more was to bring the amount paid up to the normal deposit amount.

We paid $125 each deposit and it remains the same amount even today.

35 minutes ago, nanaof2 said:

We paid $125 each deposit and it remains the same amount even today.

That’s a ball park deposit. Usually $100-$300 .

I would ask your self if you want to gamble the extra,because it is a gamble if you’re trip happens.

Being through qantas it could be refunded but I don’t think so.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I would ask your self if you want to gamble the extra,because it is a gamble if you’re trip happens.

Being through qantas it could be refunded but I don’t think so.

Not a gambler. Unfortunately I don't believe that we will do this trip, 18 months in the making with the land components, flights etc. Very sad, but health is more important than a trip. 

A bit hard to work out where it's from. It is a discounted deposit to normal, which is $200 person for that length for RCL.

However, even with the increase they're not taking it through to the regular final payment date which would be 19th July (so say 12th July for standard TA lead times). They could be just being extra generous with collection periods due to the extra loads going through at the moment...

I think it is related to the above in some way, so just look at whether you're comfortable with the extra cost for some extra time.