Zaandam and Rotterdam -- Moving Forward (April 3, 2020)

CCHelp

3 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Back to original topic....as of right now there has been no change in the published PEV schedule.  Appears that Rotterdam is still going out late tonight (well, it's late for me.  I'm on the left coast). Does anyone, @Copper10-8 perhaps, have any updated information?

Still 22h22 -- but as mentioned previously, PEV uses 11h11 (for am)  and 22h22 (for pm) as placeholder times, so interpret with caution.  One may check for updates directly here:  https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/    Scott. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Still 22h22 -- but as mentioned previously, PEV uses 11h11 (for am)  and 22h22 (for pm) as placeholder times, so interpret with caution.  One may check for updates directly here:  https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org/webx/    Scott. 

Uh, thanks....I guess.  I don't know who you are but almost all the regular HAL folks on this forum know that I'm a pilot (airplane, not harbor). So all of my computers, my phones, etc, are set for 24-hour time.  I just naturally think in 24-hour time.  And I'd already been using that link for many years.  That's how I knew that Rotterdam's departure time was still set for late tonight.  It's been that way almost since she arrived.  And we all know that, whenever she departs, her destination is NOT Puerto Vallarta.  That's why I believe that the schedule may not have been updated recently and..most importantly...that's why I tagged Copper John.  I was looking for some substantive information.

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I don't think the number was 250 - more like 100+, if I remember correctly.   Or if it was your number a lot more were crew.

image.png.440a7e7102d2e7861f46c6744448b1ca.png

the above was a statement from HAl on thursday April 2nd and this did not include the 15 or so that were rotterdam with symptoms.       So where did the 107 + passengers that were sick go to?   This does Not include their travel partners.

42 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

image.png.440a7e7102d2e7861f46c6744448b1ca.png

the above was a statement from HAl on thursday April 2nd and this did not include the 15 or so that were rotterdam with symptoms.       So where did the 107 + passengers that were sick go to?   This does Not include their travel partners.

It didn't say that  total of 107 passengers still have symptoms.  It said that they have reported like symptoms during the voyage.  I don't think that the 107 was an additional number.  Some of these passengers may have become absorbed in the 1,211 "Expected Fit For Travel." See the following.

Passenger Health Status
A cumulative total of 107 passengers have reported influenza-like illness during the voyage. The majority had only mild illness and many are likely to be Fit for Travel for disembark. Category Zaandam Rotterdam Total
Hospitalized onboard with need for shoreside care
10 (2%)
3 (0.4%)
13 (1%)
For whom we have confirmed shoreside care
Current with symptoms*
13 (3%)
13 (1.6%)
26 (2%)
Expected Fit for Travel
419 (95%)
798 (98.8%)
1,211 (97%)
* A number of these passengers may be deemed as Fit to Travel by their disembarkation date"

That having been said, I still can't add up more than 1,237 passengers, or 1,241 counting the deceased.  I don't think that 107 number was intended to be added to the 1,237 total passengers.   

Any other ideas? 

Edited by Tampa Girl

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

It didn't say that  total of 107 passengers still have symptoms.  It said that they have reported like symptoms during the voyage.  I don't think that the 107 was an additional number.  Some of these passengers may have become absorbed in the 1,211 "Expected Fit For Travel." See the following.

Passenger Health Status
A cumulative total of 107 passengers have reported influenza-like illness during the voyage. The majority had only mild illness and many are likely to be Fit for Travel for disembark. Category Zaandam Rotterdam Total
Hospitalized onboard with need for shoreside care
10 (2%)
3 (0.4%)
13 (1%)
For whom we have confirmed shoreside care
Current with symptoms*
13 (3%)
13 (1.6%)
26 (2%)
Expected Fit for Travel
419 (95%)
798 (98.8%)
1,211 (97%)
* A number of these passengers may be deemed as Fit to Travel by their disembarkation date"

That having been said, I still can't add up more than 1,237 passengers, or 1,241 counting the deceased.  I don't think that 107 number was intended to be added to the 1,237 total passengers.   

Any other ideas? 

Okay so based on this information the 107 passengers that were ill on Thursday April 2nd (not including their travel partners that were in same cabin with them) only 26 remain on the ship +13 receiving shoreside care in hospitals - the other 68 people and their travel partners were all allowed to disembark and fly or drive home on Friday April 3rd and Sat April 4th even though they were sick 1 or 2 days before.    Even with mild symptoms they should have stayed onboard or been sent somewhere to quarantine.    Just more people out there exposing others as they traveled back home.     Does that make sense and sound like it was a good plan of action?        Not good in my opinion.

I did not say the 107 was added to the total passengers.

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Okay so based on this information the 107 passengers that were ill on Thursday April 2nd (not including their travel partners that were in same cabin with them) only 26 remain on the ship +13 receiving shoreside care in hospitals - the other 68 people and their travel partners were all allowed to disembark and fly or drive home on Friday April 3rd and Sat April 4th even though they were sick 1 or 2 days before.    Even with mild symptoms they should have stayed onboard or been sent somewhere to quarantine.    Just more people out there exposing others as they traveled back home.     Does that make sense and sound like it was a good plan of action?        Not good in my opinion.

I did not say the 107 was added to the total passengers.

You are misreading the information.  HAL did not say that 107 passengers remained ill on Thursday April 2nd.  They said that during the voyage 107 had become symptomatic of influenza but that they were largely mild cases..  It was not stated that all 107 were still symptomatic.  It was never stated that the other 68 (your number) and their travel partners were all allowed to disembark.  Where did you get that information?  It was stated that an expected 1,211 might be fit to travel.  All symptomatic  passengers were to remain on board until the CDC cleared them.  

You have not pointed to any evidence that HAL allowed passengers to disembark who would not have passed CDC clearance, other than your concerted attempt to create such.

5 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

You are misreading the information.  HAL did not say that 107 passengers remained ill on Thursday April 2nd.  They said that during the voyage 107 had become symptomatic of influenza but that they were largely mild cases..  It was not stated that all 107 were still symptomatic.  It was never stated that the other 68 (your number) and their travel partners were all allowed to disembark.  Where did you get that information?  It was stated that an expected 1,211 might be fit to travel.  All symptomatic  passengers were to remain on board until the CDC cleared them.  

You have not pointed to any evidence that HAL allowed passengers to disembark who would not have passed CDC clearance, other than your concerted attempt to create such.

68 is not my number - it is the math ----107 less 13 to hospital less 26 that remain on board.     Let's just hope that all those passengers with or without symptoms did not pass the virus onto anyone else while traveling home.     Stay well!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 8:28 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Well, here's an anecdotal report on the "usual population" who are being perceived as less of a threat than returning cruisers.  The water company is digging up my street this morning. I looked out and nobody is wearing a mask. The two cops monitoring traffic seem to be staying far apart. But the workers are less than 3 feet apart while they're digging at the hole to the water main (or taking a coffee break). Yes, they're outside, but that doesn't change the 6-foot rule. (neither would a mask, but we're being asked to wear them)

So whenever you're near someone, you don't know what they've been doing, whether they're careful or careless.

Along the same lines, if you happen to go to your local drive-thru, whatever brand name/restaurant/coffee shop, etc. that might be, you'll find some where the employee is wearing a face mask and gloves, some gloves only, and some nothing at all. Go figure that one out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelnplane said:

Zaandam still sporting San Antonio in Chile in the AIS as her next destination. Heading North with 17 knots. 

I was on the Zaandam and I noticed that as we were heading through the Caribbean. Do ships have transponders, like aircraft?  I queried this with Guest Services but they didn't really take it seriously.

11 minutes ago, fabdug said:

I was on the Zaandam and I noticed that as we were heading through the Caribbean. Do ships have transponders, like aircraft?  I queried this with Guest Services but they didn't really take it seriously.

Yes, it is know as Automatic Identification System or AIS. AIS forms part of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) and is a requirement for all vessels over 300 tons on international voyages, 500 tons on non-international voyages, and all passenger ships to transmit, on VHF, information in digital form which says who they are, where they are, what sort of vessel they are and useful information like course, speed and heading

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

It already did; it says "At Sea" now :)

I was under the impression that the Zaandam was going to stay in port until all the ill pax (not ill enough for hospital) had recovered.  What is the current status of the ill pax, Z and R?  Could you enlighten me, please?

19 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

I was under the impression that the Zaandam was going to stay in port until all the ill pax (not ill enough for hospital) had recovered.  What is the current status of the ill pax, Z and R?  Could you enlighten me, please?

According to Holland America Brand Ambassador Seth Wayne, there are no longer any pax on Zaandam

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

According to Holland America Brand Ambassador Seth Wayne, there are no longer any pax on Zaandam

Great news, and Hooray for Seth! He was, until recently, a weatherman on one of our local (Seattle) news channels. Great guy -- HAL is lucky to have him on their team!

• Like 1