Zaandam and Rotterdam -- Moving Forward (April 3, 2020)

CCHelp

19 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yes, it is know as Automatic Identification System or AIS. AIS forms part of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) and is a requirement for all vessels over 300 tons on international voyages, 500 tons on non-international voyages, and all passenger ships to transmit, on VHF, information in digital form which says who they are, where they are, what sort of vessel they are and useful information like course, speed and heading

Appreciate the info, thank you.

24 minutes ago, Takes Notes said:

Any info on whether the Zaandam is going to its scheduled drydock? I'm sure much advance planning and purchasing went into the improvements for the public areas.

Doesn't look like it.  She has been doing a square dance since last night.  I think Freeport, Bahamas is closed to cruise ships.

Capture.PNG.d16c18aeae4985bc078fe6fee8ce0731.PNG

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Very strange.  She might just as well have remained in port.  Perhaps she's waiting for her partner, Rotterdam, so they can leave in tandem, as they arrived.

I wonder what costs more. Docking Fees or fuel burned during the dance?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, drowelf said:

I wonder what costs more. Docking Fees or fuel burned during the dance?

I wonder that as well.

Maybe the Master is giving his Junior Officers an opportunity to be responsible for the ship since there are no guests aboard.  His 3rd Officers as OOW with a Cadet as his/her assistant would be good training, I'd think.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I wonder that as well.

Maybe the Master is giving his Junior Officers an opportunity to be responsible for the ship since there are no guests aboard.  His 3rd Officers as OOW with a Cadet as his/her assistant would be good training, I'd think.  

They're getting a good lesson in avoiding all the other ships anchored and the ships going around in circles like they are.

Perhaps she's making like the wind on her track a la American Pharoah with all her portholes, windows, doors and balconies open in order to "dry out" from all that super sanitizing currently being done by her crew. Just sayin'.......... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Xport said:

Sadly, I read this morning that the ill Zaandam crew member--who was evacuated to a hospital upon docking at Port Everglades last Thursday--has passed away...

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/04/10/hospitalized-zaandam-crew-member-dies-from-covid-19/

Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Zaandam now seems to be heading to the Stirrup Cay Grand Bahama Anchorage to join Nieuw Statendam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Zuiderdam, Veendam and Volendam.

She has arrived at the anchorage and is now part of that cluster of dam ships

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Found this link from KVAL-TV in Eugene OR from an interview done by it's sister station KOMO-TV in Seattle with Seth Wayne, Brand Ambassador for HAL.  As reported earlier he was on the Zaandam during this cruise ordeal.  This article and video gives us an inside view of what transpired during the cruise back to Ft. Lauderdale.  Seth was a meteorologist at KVAL-TV Eugene Oregon prior to going to KOMO-TV in Seattle.  

https://kval.com/news/coronavirus/this-isnt-stopping-me-from-cruising-former-komo-weatherman-recounts-trip-on-zaandam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

According to the Miami Herald, "The Rotterdam is anchored offshore with 29 passengers on board, a spokesperson for the company confirmed.  Holland America Line said it is working to arrange charter flights home for the passengers."  I can't imagine being one of these passengers, enduring the Zaandam and now this.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241929131.html

• Thanks 1

The Miami Herald published an article today regarding the on board experience on the Zaandam and Rotterdam on a day by day basis.  I found it very informative and very sad but a "must-read" nonetheless.  Note in particular the events of March 24 regarding the crew of the Rotterdam and the comments by the de Pinhos after disembarkation on April 3 which I have summarized below.  They were dismayed to be using commercial arrangements after arriving in ATL.

Delays on the cruise side meant the de Pinhos arrived at the Atlanta airport too late for their flight. They decided to grab a bite to eat while they waited, and were horrified at the possibility they could spread the virus at the busiest airport in the world..  “How did we go from people dressed around us with hazmat suits in the morning to being in a restaurant where servers were not wearing masks? It was an epic failure to put us in the general public — a risk to those serving us and even to us given the spread of the virus,” de Pinho said. “Holland America sadly dropped the ball!”

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241740696.html

“HOLLAND AMERICA dropped the ball” really? No they followed every order given by various Govt agencies that failed to follow common sense. Many many Govt agencies dropped the ball and left HAL holding the bag. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rotterdam currently at anchor off Great Stirrup Cay (Grand Bahama anchorage) along with Veendam, Zaandam, Volendam, Nieuw Amsterdam and two X-ships. Zuiderdam and Nieuw Statendam currently on the move in that general area running their engines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rajkr74 said:

Found this link from KVAL-TV in Eugene OR from an interview done by it's sister station KOMO-TV in Seattle with Seth Wayne, Brand Ambassador for HAL.  As reported earlier he was on the Zaandam during this cruise ordeal.  This article and video gives us an inside view of what transpired during the cruise back to Ft. Lauderdale.  Seth was a meteorologist at KVAL-TV Eugene Oregon prior to going to KOMO-TV in Seattle.  

https://kval.com/news/coronavirus/this-isnt-stopping-me-from-cruising-former-komo-weatherman-recounts-trip-on-zaandam

Thank you for posting this.  Although his report that every passenger had been been tested for health prior to boarding was not corroborated by the passengers in the Miami article, Seth's article was both sad and heartening.  We just off that ship in early January for the same itinerary, plus Antarctica. I followed her ordeal very closely, appreciative of the fact that we had disembarked two prior to COVID becoming a household word.  I will be delighted to sail again on her.