APRIL 6 REFUND THREAD: Have you received your refund?

edl868

No refund as of yet -  I was to cruise on Carnival Horizon on June 27th.  It was a family group cruise with some older members like my mom and sister n' law's mom. My cruise wasn't officially canceled but we decided to cancel before the final payment was due.  I paid my share of the cabin, (about $1,700) and was intending to pay my mother's share before final due date.  When Covid-19 started to get really bad we all decided to cancel our reservations.  I canceled my booking online directly thru Carnival on March 23rd. I only received an email with a cancellation letter stating I have a non-refundable deposit (which I knew) but it would be used as FCC ($250) to be used within a year.  I received nothing stating that status of my refund (roughly $1400 ) or that I would be getting a refund on the balance of my the cruise fare I had already paid  or offered to transfer that paid amount to another cruise. I'm surprised once I canceled on Carnival.com my profile doesn't retain my booking information. I am definitely one that saves documentation and have record of what I paid.  30 days in and no refund or mention of refund yet.  

On 4/20/2020 at 8:49 AM, ireashmott said:

We received part of our refund. Posted to the credit card on Wednesday April 15th.

We had two cabins booked for a March 16th sailing. We cancelled on March 13th pursuant to the policy and asked for a full refund. 

So far, we have had 3 refunds: 2 refunds for each of the deposits and 1 refund for one of the balance payments. We are still owed 1 refund for one of the balance payments (the larger one), the refund for the excursions, and the refund for the internet/bevs. 

The credit card had been replaced with a different type and account number (same bank though), but the refund still went through. 

Hope this info helps. 

So apparently I spoke to soon. Today our Visa posted a backdated charge that reversed the refund I had received for one of the balance payments. So now we only have 2 refunds (one for each of the deposits) and no refunds for either of the balance payments. I am not sure why Carnival would have reversed a refund, but I am not a happy. 

Edited by ireashmott

Those that have already gotten a refund when was your cruise & when was refund asked for?  My cruise was May 24 & I asked for refund on March 9.  Still nothing.  Wonder if they are going by cruise date or refund request date.  

• Like 1

Definitely looks like they are going by cruise date.  Please start mentioning cruise date in your reponses...

We were due to sail April 10, cancelled March 11 and still haven't got ours, but if I go by the person who was sailing March 25 I'm expecting refund mid-May if they are going by cruise date.

I will post again when I get it.

Has ANYONE sailing in April-May-onward got theirs yet?  If not, that's our answer - by sail date.

23 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

Definitely looks like they are going by cruise date.  Please start mentioning cruise date in your reponses...

We were due to sail April 10, cancelled March 11 and still haven't got ours, but if I go by the person who was sailing March 25 I'm expecting refund mid-May if they are going by cruise date.

Has ANYONE sailing in April-May-onward got theirs yet?  If not, that's our answer - by sail date.

I had a B2B booked for April 5 &11, and I have not gotten any of my refunds yet to my credit card, but part of my refunds was used by Carnival to pay off the balance of my January cruise. I’m looking at a cruise for February 2022 to sail with our daughter and her family, so if I book that before I get my refunds ($707) I have to wonder if they will just use my refunds on that cruise. I will keep you posted.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

My sailing date was June 6. Carnival cancelled April 13. Transferred funds to new booking but no refunds yet for excursions . 

1 hour ago, kimco93 said:

Those that have already gotten a refund when was your cruise & when was refund asked for?  My cruise was May 24 & I asked for refund on March 9.  Still nothing.  Wonder if they are going by cruise date or refund request date.  

Man, I surely hope it is not by cruise date....  My sail date was 25 October 2020.... That is a LONG time to wait.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kimco93 said:

Our cruise was May 25 and we cancelled March 9. Maybe we'll get our refunds on the same day!

8 hours ago, chasinraynbowz said:

Thanks!  I booked in January.  Do you think I can still dispute the charges now that the flights been cancelled?

Yes, it commonly is along the lines of "services not provided" dispute that the credit card company uses.  Make sure to keep all your documents (emails, AA cancellation notices, etc.), as well as any possible dates/times of your conversations with American.

We cancelled about 2 days (3/12) before Carnival did the cancelling for our 3/21 cruise.  About a week ago we received most of our refund.  We got back taxes/fees, spa and shore excursions.  Still waiting on drinks I ordered for the room and dinner reservations.  The refunds were credited to our credit card and we would not have noticed it except for the $900 credit balance that was showing.  It was back-dated to 3/12 and 3/13 (which is the day we cancelled), so you might want to take a gander at your credit card charges/returns for the last month or so.  If it will make you feel better, John Heald was on Facebook today talking about refunds...he said over 1 million of them needed to be done...it takes awhile....there were also many comments on there from people that have received refunds.  Be patient....it might take awhile.....take a look at John's post on Facebook from today.....

10 hours ago, cautery said:

Man, I surely hope it is not by cruise date....  My sail date was 25 October 2020.... That is a LONG time to wait.

All indications are that it is by sail date. We were sailing in August and have just under $2500 coming back. This will definitely change the way that I pay for cruises in the future because almost all of that money was paid over time and didn't have to be paid since final payment wasn't until June. From now on that money will go into a special account established for the purpose and won't be given to the cruise line until final payment date.

4 hours ago, august1963 said:

We cancelled about 2 days (3/12) before Carnival did the cancelling for our 3/21 cruise.  About a week ago we received most of our refund.  We got back taxes/fees, spa and shore excursions.  Still waiting on drinks I ordered for the room and dinner reservations.  The refunds were credited to our credit card and we would not have noticed it except for the $900 credit balance that was showing.  It was back-dated to 3/12 and 3/13 (which is the day we cancelled), so you might want to take a gander at your credit card charges/returns for the last month or so.  If it will make you feel better, John Heald was on Facebook today talking about refunds...he said over 1 million of them needed to be done...it takes awhile....there were also many comments on there from people that have received refunds.  Be patient....it might take awhile.....take a look at John's post on Facebook from today.....

Yes, I did see his post, and I totally understand why it’s taking so long. I never questioned it, and have suggested to everyone to just be patient. It will come eventually. This virus and the resulting pause on life is totally unprecedented. Please, everyone, give Carnival some slack, and those of you that are bashing them, please stop. They working as hard as they can in a terrible situation. As for checking my credit card statements, I do it every morning. The only refund that I doubt I will get is not from Carnival. It is from a booking site. It said on the booking it was non refundable, (for a hotel stay in KY on our drive down to port), but I booked it a year before the virus. Then everyone was lifting those statements of non refundable because we couldn’t even travel out of state, and wouldn’t be allowed to travel into another state. They are being adamant, saying rules are rules. The booking site is reservations.com. Stay away from them. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

All indications are that it is by sail date. We were sailing in August and have just under $2500 coming back. This will definitely change the way that I pay for cruises in the future because almost all of that money was paid over time and didn't have to be paid since final payment wasn't until June. From now on that money will go into a special account established for the purpose and won't be given to the cruise line until final payment date.

I, too, either pay over time, or in full at booking. This does make one think on how to pay it. But being the Type A OCD person that I am, I know that leaving an unpaid balance on anything would drive me nuts! Lol! ( I get a bill, I pay it that minute. I never leave bills to sit, and I never, ever keep a balance on a credit card) So, I know I won’t be able to stick to waiting until final payment date. I have an anxiety attack just thinking of doing so! Lol! But you are right. We should wait until final date. Less to lose, or have to wait for in refunds. On my last cruise I had prepaid everything....excursions, drinks, purchases from Fun Shops. Besides my 100% FCC, I had $1600 worth of refunds. 

• Like 1

Our two cancelled cruises were scheduled to sail April 11 and May 1, respectively.   Have seen no refund as of yet.  So this is one more data point supporting the possibility that refunds are coming sequentially by order-of-sail dates.

Edited by Calnev1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DWolf2020 said:

Yes, it commonly is along the lines of "services not provided" dispute that the credit card company uses.  Make sure to keep all your documents (emails, AA cancellation notices, etc.), as well as any possible dates/times of your conversations with American.

Thanks!  With as much as I have travelled, this is a first for me!  If they come back and deny it again next week, I will dispute it with the CC.

22 hours ago, kimco93 said:

I was told by a Carnival rep that they are processing according to cruise dates and at that time they were processing the March and April cruises only. My cruise was May 9 so I am not expecting to see anything until the end of May at the earliest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I posted earlier in this thread. Update...still no refund for my March 31st cruise. I received another call from my Carnival just yesterday. First time he called wanting to know if he could help me rebook and he could apply my refund as FCC instead of getting the refund. I told him no thank you as nobody is certain when or how cruising will be in the future with new rules and regulations. I was expecting him to give some sort of update yesterday as to refund being applied, but he told me he was calling as he saw I was on the Carnival website and wanted to know if he could help out in any way. I told him that I didn't know why it showed I was on Carnival's website as it has been weeks since I've been on there. I did ask about my refund and he said he was unsure, unprecedented times, etc... and Carnival was working on processing refunds now. 

I just got off the phone with Carnival right now.  We were supposed to sail on the Magic on 3/14.  We rebooked for 4/11 on the Magic right away.  On 3/16, we cancelled the 4/11 and rebooked for 12/5.  We have a refund coming back as part of this process as the 12/5 trip is significantly cheaper.  We also have $1,100 onboard credit for 12/5 which is great.  The Carnival rep mentioned accounting is processing refunds on a first come first serve basis.  I have not received my refund yet, but should be receiving it soon as people who cancelled on 3/15 are already receiving refunds.  She said the 10-14 days on my letter (for the refund) was a generic message and now it's taking way longer.  BUT, refunds are being sent daily.  It's not like they are holding all money.

Carnival has now reversed all of the refunds that had been posted to our credit card. Anyone else have this issue? 

We had two cabins booked for a March 16th sailing. We cancelled on March 13th pursuant to the policy and asked for a full refund.