Where should you be today?

VMax1700

Getting off the Amsterdam in Ft. Lauderdale after 231 days onboard.  Sigh.....September 22, 2019 seems so long ago.  Actually, March 23 (Fremantle, AU) seems so long ago.  Finally forced myself to remove my trip counter today.  Bummer, but, we are happy to be home healthy and safe.  There will be more cruising one day!

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 1.13.28 PM.png

Edited by cruzingnut

We would be in Valdez today.  Since there really isn't too much to do, we'll probably just go into town to stretch our legs, then go back to the ship and enjoy a leisurely day.

22 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

We should be boarding the Zuiderdam in Venice to start our cruise.

Oh well, maybe next year.

I’d be disembarking the Zuiderdam in Venice after having enjoyed a wonderful cruise with friends.  

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

We should be boarding the Zuiderdam in Venice to start our cruise.

Oh well, maybe next year.

We should be there too but thanks to the Chinese virus we are safe at home waiting for our refund.  Maybe next year.  This is the second time our Mediterranean cruise has been canceled.  First one was on me.

Yesterday was Hubbard Glacier.  This is one of our favorite glacier viewing areas in SE Alaska.

Today is Juneau.  We'll definitely go to the Alaska Fudge Company and say "Hello" to Blu and his family.  There's also a quilt shop that I like to go to.  A couple of years ago I saw a lovely quilt made by one of the owner's daughters.  It was beautiful and captured my imagination.  One of the clerks found the pattern for me.  I brought it home and forgot about it until late last year.  I have it almost finished now, but would have made a concerted effort to finish it before the cruise, so that I could show the clerks what I had done.  Ah, well, there's always next year.

• Like 1

We would be flying to Rome tonight for a visit prior to boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam for a 24-day B2B to the Greek Islands, Adriatic, and Istanbul, finishing in Venice. Disappointing, but they'll always be there when it's safe to travel again!

Edited by HalFan

We were supposed to be celebrating our 28th Wedding Anniversary at our time share on Poipu Beach, Kauai today May 16.

As it turns out Mrs. AliasChief had serious emergency surgery a few weeks ago and spent 13 days in the hospital. So in a way it was a Blessing that she had the problem here and not in Hawaii.

She is making small gains every day.

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We were supposed to be celebrating our 28th Wedding Anniversary at our time share on Poipu Beach, Kauai today May 16.

As it turns out Mrs. AliasChief had serious emergency surgery a few weeks ago and spent 13 days in the hospital. So in a way it was a Blessing that she had the problem here and not in Hawaii.

She is making small gains every day.

Thoughts and prayers for a full recovery.

It can be fortuitous how these things happen sometimes.

Next week we should have been heading to Sorrento then on to Venice for an anniversary cruise and instead DW commences Chemo on Monday.  We are also thankful that we are currently at home.

• Like 1

So today we are cruising the Inside Passage on our way to Campbell River and eventually Vancouver.

It's packing day and saying "Good Bye" day.

VennDiagram - we'll make sure everything is clean and sanitary for your cruise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, towhee said:

VennDiagram - we'll make sure everything is clean and sanitary for your cruise.

That brought tears to my eyes.  Thanks for taking good care of the Maasdam for us.  Any last minute tips?  I hope you've enjoyed your cruise to the Great Land ❤️

Tonight we'd be at Joe Fortes' for dinner.  Tomorrow morning I would be at Starbucks when it opens to grab a coffee and walk down in the pre-dawn light to watch the Maasdam dock.

I was supposed to be boarding the Noordam in Seward today after spending a few days enjoying Seward and the Kenai Fjords National Park. (I lived in Alaska decades ago, still miss it terribly, and go back whenever I can.) Instead, this morning I listened to Governor Dunleavy's Friday COVID press conference so I could follow what's happening in the state. They extended the mandatory quarantine orders until June, but are reevaluating it daily as they gain experience opening up other parts of the state. I'll consider a land trip once it's safe to do it. Social distancing in Alaska isn't hard to do, but the long plane rides up may be another thing. 

BTW - it was refreshing to see a government press conference purely focused on informing and educating the people without political overtones and a press doing the same. catch-salmon-not-covid_original.jpg

Today I should be flying to Baltimore to spend a couple days visiting a good friend & lunching with former work colleagues in DC.

And we would be making final plans for our road trip through the Finger Lakes & Thousand Islands, up to Quebec City, along the St. Lawrence then down through New England back to Baltimore - from where I would fly home.

Sending big hugs to towhee and Av8rix @towhee and @Av8rix    Maybe next year we can all sail a 14 day Alaska cruise together.

Right now, we'd be eating some sort of snacks in our hotel room, looking out at whatever view we got in the "cheap" room at the hotel, and waiting for the bellman to collect our bags from our hotel room.

• Like 2