CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

As Pete was told earlier, 45 days is now 60 as it is apparently working days... 

So people quoted 60 days is possibly 82...

Sounds like stalling for time to me, for whatever reason.. 

Andy 

Payment required 12 weeks before embarking is that 12x5 or 12x7  60 days or 84 days?

Shameful!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Payment required 12 weeks before embarking is that 12x5 or 12x7  60 days or 84 days?

Shameful!

For those of us in the “regions” it is actually more and earlier for fly cruises. P&O offer regional fly cruises on scheduled flights but you have to pay the deposit and the cost of the flight with the deposit. They have had a large chunk of my money for over a year, then the rest of the balance at 12 weeks.

12 minutes ago, devonuk said:

Has anyone tried the ‘embarrass’ them on Twitter route? Sorry if covered elsewhere!

Someone on another media publicly announced that they were initiating legal action for non payment as they were fed up making calls and getting the run around. They got a very quick reply to go to private messaging and then silence. 

They either got what they wanted or P&O blocked them.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

One of the reasons I like to use TA, rather than booking direct, is that I find that the advice given by the TA regarding cabin choice,  choice of ship etc, is unbiased, whereas booking direct I would be concerned about the impartiality of the advice given.

I think we all have our own preferences,  there is no "best" option. Having said that,  reading on here and on other social media pages about the delays on making contact with P&O,  I certainly have not been convinced that booking direct is the better option.

There is no right or wrong. As you say, it’s what works best for each person . I don’t ask for advice as I know all the ships well and do my own research (I wouldn’t trust a TA, or P&O staff member for that matter, over things that were really important to us). As I said, some TA’s are being just as problematic as P&O (as evidenced by this and other threads) so I am certainly not at a disadvantage over many, but good to hear that your TA has been very good as it does ease some of the stress. 

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

For those of us in the “regions” it is actually more and earlier for fly cruises. P&O offer regional fly cruises on scheduled flights but you have to pay the deposit and the cost of the flight with the deposit. They have had a large chunk of my money for over a year, then the rest of the balance at 12 weeks.

But is that 12x5 or 12x7?  more confusion?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Extra OBC would probably be of little use to us, although we only take the minuscule OBC rather than free parking, we also have shareholder OBC. So  now that gratuities are no longer charged, and we don't book tours, this normally covers most of our onboard drinking which is the majority of our on board spend. As a consequence the TA discount goes straight off our cruise fate.

I would agree that a straight discount is better than OBC John but, in our case, we always spend our OBC, even when we have quite a lot of it, and we don’t book tours on board either. We also usually take OBC in lieu of parking, which we book ourselves for less than the extra OBC. With a few cruises our OBC has left us with no, or negligible, on board bills, which is nice given that we use the Select Dining restaurants quite a bit. The only point I was making was that it isn’t always cheaper to use a TA and there are pros and cons both ways, as has been proved in recent weeks. 

I have had great contact with my TA and he tells me that he has been told the refunds will be going direct to the customer and noto through him.  He said this might be quicker for me.  He has been great, furloughed most of his staff, but three of them still working.

As I might have said before, if P&O are refunding me, then I will owe by TA a little bit for the discount he gave me.  I am in touch with the lady who contacted me early March when I emailed Paul Ludlow;s office and who organised my refund.  She informed me late March that they use codes to put through either a refund or an FCC + 110% or whatever.  So ours was coded for full refund.  It then goes through to the department who issue the refunds.  I have an email into her that I sent on Sunday evening, but as she works from home and does do weekends, she is not back until tomorrow.  I will see what she says as it is now 44 days.

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Sorry, but I don’t agree that it is always cheaper to use a TA than booking direct with P&O. As stated in my post, I book direct and get additional OBC which equates to a discount of around 5%. I appreciate that not everyone can get that discount, but some can and therefore it is not always cheaper using a TA. Unless I have missed something, 5% seems to be the usual level of discount offered by TA’s. I don’t object to using a third party in principal, but would only entertain it if I made a worthwhile saving over booking direct.

Well sorry but do not know why you are special enough to get extra discount from P&O. We have done over 30 cruises with them since 2000 and they have never beaten the price given by my TA.

12 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Someone on another media publicly announced that they were initiating legal action for non payment as they were fed up making calls and getting the run around. They got a very quick reply to go to private messaging and then silence. 

They either got what they wanted or P&O blocked them.

I suspect that it was the former. As I posted previously I had major problems with a travel company (not P&O) who were not giving refunds as a option and even switched off their phone lines. I was getting ignored or fobbed off. I lost my patience and quoted the law to them and told them that I was giving them one final chance to refund prior to initiating action against them and I received a phone call from their head of reservations and a full refund within 48 hours of that call. 

• Like 1

Just been reading a money saving website and they mention that the Competition watchdog is getting 600 complaints a day (Article written on the 24th April) regarding travel companies not willing or making difficult to obtain a refund.

"As a result, the CMA says it intends to set out "further steps" it plans to take on cancellations and refunds next week."

Let's hope there is some consumer protection coming worth having rather than the now pitiful ABTA stance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Well sorry but do not know why you are special enough to get extra discount from P&O. We have done over 30 cruises with them since 2000 and they have never beaten the price given by my TA.

I’m sorry that it causes you such upset and, as I have said, there is no right and wrong. For some it suits them to use a TA. For others booking direct works better. There are pros and cons both ways. All I was pointing out was that your comment that it is always cheaper to use a TA is factually incorrect. 

Edited by Selbourne

Just got of the phone with my travel agent and my fears of having different expired dates on my credit card does effect my refund , I had to give them a different account to pay the refund into , all my next 6 cruises are booked with them but just one booked with p& o which was on 12 April I booked direct and they did say I would have to contact P & O to give them the new details for a refund , same card number, same company, but different expired dates I will not get my refund , seems silly  I know but just to let some know , spent 45 mins on phone trying to get through to P & O no answer , spent 10 mins wait on my travel agent and got through , he told me the best time to phone which I think everyone knows is first thing in morning or very late afternoon  , has they have been on hold for 4 hrs to P & O 

Problem is we shouldn’t have to stamp our feet and threaten action to get what we are entitled to. Be that compensation when something goes wrong or a refund when all this happens. 

I have tried to call p&o again to get mine sorted after getting cut off last night but it just keeps saying too busy and cutting me off. 

and this is only one of my battles. 
next will be virgin which will no doubt be cancelled this week. 

do we think I’ll at least get all my money by Christmas? 

Speaking of refunds. I had parking with holiday extras. They have turned off their phone line and chat service, changed the terms online and only giving vouchers. And this is the same for the people, like me, who paid the extra for the cancellation waiver just in case. 
luckily I have gotten my money back from the cruise parking but this was only as they missold me and I had proof that they have given it me back 

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m sorry that it causes you such upset and, as I have said, there is no right and wrong. For some it suits them to use a TA. For others booking direct works better. There are pros and cons both ways. All I was pointing out was that your comment that it is always cheaper to use a TA is factually incorrect. 

I never once said it caused me upset so dont know where you got that from just wondered why you get extra discount when on every cruise I have booked I have contacted P&O for price and availability and they have always given me full price and never given me a discount even when asked. They have even on many occasions said they cannot match my TA and suggested booking with them. You must stop insinuating people have said things when they havent it is something you are making up in your own mind or read comments properly before you comment.

The only company that have come out of having my cruise cancelled with Cunard in May the car parking company. Informed them by e-mail and within 3 days my money had been refunded to my credit card. The hotel I booked for pre cruise initially said I would get a refund within 14 days they are now saying the hotel is closed due to covid-19 and refunds will be sorted by the hotel after 15th May when they reopen but due to local laws it might be a voucher not a cash refund and with regards to Cunard they are acting exactly the same as P&O.

Edited by majortom10

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

I never once said it caused me upset so dont know where you got that from just wondered why you get extra discount when on every cruise I have booked I have contacted P&O for price and availability and they have always given me full price and never given me a discount even when asked. They have even on many occasions said they cannot match my TA and suggested booking with them. You must stop insinuating people have said things when they havent it is something you are making up in your own mind or read comments properly before you comment.

Because the tone of your reply was aggressive and sarcastic - as often is the case. Just because you don’t qualify for a discount you seem to be doubting me or insinuating that I am making it up. I am not. Please moderate your tone. 

The tone of my reply was aggressive and sarcastic was in your mind only all I asked was a simple question as why you are so special to get an extra 5% discount when I never have. Amazing you can imagine aggressive and sarcastic tone form a simple written question.

Just now, majortom10 said:

The tone of my reply was aggressive and sarcastic was in your mind only all I asked was a simple question as why you are so special to get an extra 5% discount when I never have. Amazing you can imagine aggressive and sarcastic tone form a simple written question.

The fact that you don’t see that a comment such as “why you are so special....” is sarcastic, or why starting a response with “Well, sorry, but.....” is aggressive means that you won’t get the point I am making, so let’s just park it’s there. 

It doesn't seem unreasonable to ask why one person gets a discount and the rest of us don't.

Selbourne,  would you kindly give us an idea why you get such a refund. We don't need details, but an indication would be nice. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Problem is we shouldn’t have to stamp our feet and threaten action to get what we are entitled to. Be that compensation when something goes wrong or a refund when all this happens. 

I have tried to call p&o again to get mine sorted after getting cut off last night but it just keeps saying too busy and cutting me off. 

and this is only one of my battles. 
next will be virgin which will no doubt be cancelled this week. 

do we think I’ll at least get all my money by Christmas? 

Speaking of refunds. I had parking with holiday extras. They have turned off their phone line and chat service, changed the terms online and only giving vouchers. And this is the same for the people, like me, who paid the extra for the cancellation waiver just in case. 
luckily I have gotten my money back from the cruise parking but this was only as they missold me and I had proof that they have given it me back 

Are you trying the 0800 number? As I mentioned earlier, when I used that I kept getting the message 'too busy, call back' and the call was terminated by P&O. When I used the 0344 338 8592 number, I was kept on hold (25 minutes) and then it was answered.

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

In my experience, it is about the relationship you have with the other side.

Building on that relationship over time and with respect and trust sometimes brings rewards.

It is what you are personally happy with

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

It doesn't seem unreasonable to ask why one person gets a discount and the rest of us don't.

Selbourne,  would you kindly give us an idea why you get such a refund. We don't need details, but an indication would be nice. 

Thanks.

Asking is fine, it’s the tone I objected to. The discount is not to do with the number of cruises we have been on. A number of years ago I posted about the discount and where it originated from and I got into a lot of bother over it as I apparently flouted forum rules. Even if I could share it, I don’t think that it’s open to new users anymore (I cant find reference to it online now) but for reasons that I don’t fully understand (and have not questioned) the relevant ‘code’ still sits on my account and applies to my bookings. Sorry to be a bit mysterious, but hope having explained you can understand why. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Are you trying the 0800 number? As I mentioned earlier, when I used that I kept getting the message 'too busy, call back' and the call was terminated by P&O. When I used the 0344 338 8592 number, I was kept on hold (25 minutes) and then it was answered.

same number I called last night. 
got through then but can’t now

‭0800 052 3840‬