CRUISE REFUND RECEIVED

Twogreynomads

I thought it was the law that you have to be refunded by the same method that you paid. If by card it has to be the one you used. If you return something to a shop they always ask for the card you paid on.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Why on earth did you pay in advance, especially using a credit card?

I have done this a couple of times when I have paid the balance about a month early using my Amex card as it put me in to a higher spend bracket giving me increased cash back.

10 hours ago, cruisefan2012 said:

I cancelled my Aurora cruise - ( my choice ) - on Friday 13th March 2020 - With the sail date being August 2020

I`d paid a chunk via credit card in 2 payments, I was due to make 2 further payments then my holiday will have been paid for...

As of today Sunday 26th April 2020 - I`m still to be refunded ( 44 Days later ) despite being told originally at cancellation it would be 7/14 days... 

I`ve read on this thread about cheques as refunds?......... If I had paid via credit card - Should I expect a cheque refund?..........

I have had refunds for other plans from trainline.com and Premier Inn

Out of interest, did you cancel under health grounds during the very narrow window when it was allowed? The reason I ask is that if you cancelled a cruise before P&O had cancelled it (which you did) then under normal circumstances you would have lost your deposit (no refund due) and under the revised T’s and C’s all you were entitled to was your deposit converted to Future Cruise Credit? As I understand it, refunds are only an option when P&O cancels the cruise, which hasn’t yet happened in the case of August cruises. I am obviously missing something!

Edit - Having re-read your post and some of the responses, it may be that you had paid more than your deposit, so it may be that the ‘refund’ you refer to is the surplus paid above the deposit? But presumably, if that’s the case, your deposit will still be FCC and not a refund? As I say, I’m a bit confused!

Edited by Selbourne

8 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Using a credit card can give you more protection and people pay at different times due to their circumstances. How and when they pay is irrelevant, this thread is about getting the refunds due in a timely manner which should be in accordance to the law which P&O are unable to do due to the present situation. However, P&O should not be changing the process to suit themselves by issuing cheques instead of refunding to the form of payment used for the original booking. 

I agree.

Usually the cruiselines say if you book through a TA then you must contact your TA with any queries.

I would expect Bacs payments from P&O to the TAs who could then return our money to the credit card they have on file that we paid with.

All this could be completed in hours.

• Like 2

Well it's coming up to the 45 days they said I would be refunded by, and nothing so far, so I am now looking to claim under Section 75 from my credit card company for our April 13 day Aurora cruise. I booked direct with P&O.

I feel that P&O are being economical with the truth on refunds as none appear to be happening so, as they don't appear to want to communicate with their loyal customers, I will take alternative action.

I believe the CMA are looking into the travel firms refund reluctance this week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, angry customer said:

We Cancelled direct with P&O on 19th March, Still no refund and we were told upto 45 days but we never make anyone wait that long......

Also no response to Emails either, 5 Emails sent from 13th march !!!

Really P&O !!!!

I started trying to cancel my May cruise on March 13th under policy issued that day; it took several emails and finally a Facebook message to get through to someone who said they would look into it.  I finally got an email on April 16th to confirm that they had cancelled my cruise on March 28th, but not a word about a refund or anything else since.

There must be quite a few people on here who all applied for a refund on the day the first big batch of cruises were cancelled by P&O. 

We are all now coming up to the 45 days deadline later this week (at that point P&O quoted 45 days not 60 for a refund).

It will be interesting to see if any of us gets paid in that deadline which as we all know is well beyond the 14 days required by law. I have not contacted P&O since submitting the refund and allowed them the time they asked for to complete my refund. Consequently I will not be at all happy if they default on it and at that point (day 46) will start to push them.

Reading other media there seems to be very few refunds being processed and a lot of platitudes being handed out. The staffing appears to be geared towards FCC / new bookings which, while understandable from a business perspective, is not great from the perspective of retaining the other customers who are being left in limbo.

Ill be interested to hear if anyone in the first batch receives their refund this week, within the deadline P&O set.

• Like 3

There is quite an odd business plan in play here, I struggle to understand what they hope to achieve, it would seem that CCL have borrowed enough to help them survive this unpleasant situation, however you need to plan for the future, whatever type of business you are. Their future customers are:

1. New cruisers - That will be difficult in the short term given the press around quarantined ships and refused port entry.

2. Existing cruisers

Did I miss anyone?

A percentage of existing cruisers will have issues with insurance for a while whilst the insurance and travel industries come to grip with risk management.

A percentage will will have underlying health issues that they lived with previously but now may be a bit wary...that leaves those of us here and elsewhere that are now in the position of being more frustrated each day with the lack of refunds and obvious dishonesty with speed of these refunds.

In recent years we have looked at 30 to 40 days of cruising per year, I would doubt that I would pay **up front for a cruise ever again, I may well sail with P&O but I have lost the trust in them, any company that changes the rules to suit the company will do so again, they obviously consider that they are big enough to get away with it. 

** Obviously we have to pay before departure, what I am implying is no long term booking, no 90 day payments, just find one a few days before and if the deal is right pay and go then, we usually prefer to select a cabin position but the lack of trust is getting to me at present. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

There is quite an odd business plan in play here, I struggle to understand what they hope to achieve, it would seem that CCL have borrowed enough to help them survive this unpleasant situation, however you need to plan for the future, whatever type of business you are. Their future customers are:

1. New cruisers - That will be difficult in the short term given the press around quarantined ships and refused port entry.

2. Existing cruisers

Did I miss anyone?

A percentage of existing cruisers will have issues with insurance for a while whilst the insurance and travel industries come to grip with risk management.

A percentage will will have underlying health issues that they lived with previously but now may be a bit wary...that leaves those of us here and elsewhere that are now in the position of being more frustrated each day with the lack of refunds and obvious dishonesty with speed of these refunds.

In recent years we have looked at 30 to 40 days of cruising per year, I would doubt that I would pay **up front for a cruise ever again, I may well sail with P&O but I have lost the trust in them, any company that changes the rules to suit the company will do so again, they obviously consider that they are big enough to get away with it. 

** Obviously we have to pay before departure, what I am implying is no long term booking, no 90 day payments, just find one a few days before and if the deal is right pay and go then, we usually prefer to select a cabin position but the lack of trust is getting to me at present. 

Excellent post. Although Carnival has received a cash injection it doesn’t necessarily follow that P&O (which operates as a separate trading entity within a major conglomerate) has directly benefited from it, so I maintain my long held view that the refund delays are deliberate to aid cash flow. ABTA has said the same, several times. Whilst I have every sympathy with P&O’s current plight, using customers cash flow to shore up their own is inexcusable, especially when, by doing so, they are breaking the law (which requires a refund within 14 days). Yes, other companies are even worse and not even giving cash refund options, but this forum is about P&O and many people have had their loyalty to the brand challenged by this. 

Now that we are retired (early, I should stress, we are in our 50’s) and once we are vaccinated, we may well return to cruising and would go on far more cruises if we could book them at short notice and get a good price but, up until now, the best prices (Select Prices) have always been at launch, two years or so in advance. Perhaps that long held model might change post Coronavirus? We can live in hope. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Excellent post. Although Carnival has received a cash injection it doesn’t necessarily follow that P&O (which operates as a separate trading entity within a major conglomerate) has directly benefited from it, so I maintain my long held view that the refund delays are deliberate to aid cash flow. ABTA has said the same, several times. Whilst I have every sympathy with P&O’s current plight, using customers cash flow to shore up their own is inexcusable, especially when, by doing so, they are breaking the law (which requires a refund within 14 days). Yes, other companies are even worse and not even giving cash refund options, but this forum is about P&O and many people have had their loyalty to the brand challenged by this. 

Now that we are retired (early, I should stress, we are in our 50’s) and once we are vaccinated, we may well return to cruising and would go on far more cruises if we could book them at short notice and get a good price but, up until now, the best prices (Select Prices) have always been at launch, two years or so in advance. Perhaps that long held model might change post Coronavirus? We can live in hope. 

A few years ago the situation was that prices on release were higher and then towards close to sail date reduced prices some heavily and caused many complaints that loyal customers who booked early were getting a raw deal. This when Carol Marlow was boss at P&O and a policy change was initiated which turned out to be not worth the paper it was written on and I believe was the reason why she lost her job. I think the current policy where the best prices for Select are always on brochure release is far better and the right policy and rewards loyal customers than having prices reduced last minute for any customers and then they seem to be treated better than the loyal customers.

That really is the point isn't it?

Loyal customers are your best customers, they cost little to keep over gaining new customers, simple business plan that suits just about everyone from an Ice Cream vendor to Airbus!

So why tick off a load of us unless there is a serious issue that is not come to the surface yet, perhaps it is along the lines of any business operating in the UK must declare insolvency if they cannot meet their debts?

Edited by Hampshire Steve
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

That really is the point isn't it?

Loyal customers are your best customers, they cost little to keep over gaining new customers, simple business plan that suits just about everyone from an Ice Cream vendor to Airbus!

So why tick off a load of us unless there is a serious issue that is not come to the surface yet, perhaps it is along the lines of any business operating in the UK must declare insolvency if they cannot meet their debts?

There is at least one person who has publicly stated their intention (on a direct contact form of social media) to take action as their large refund had not been forthcoming. There had obviously been private written discussions about the situation before this was posted publicly. It was answered very, very quickly and nothing more has been said in public(that I have seen anyway) so presumably he has been mollified some how.

We are seeing how one member of the public is reacting. What we are not seeing is how others who are perhaps owed money may be feeling and be acting, suppliers for example.

Hopefully P&O are simply being slow and inefficient, rather than in any sort of financial trouble. 

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

A few years ago the situation was that prices on release were higher and then towards close to sail date reduced prices some heavily and caused many complaints that loyal customers who booked early were getting a raw deal. This when Carol Marlow was boss at P&O and a policy change was initiated which turned out to be not worth the paper it was written on and I believe was the reason why she lost her job. I think the current policy where the best prices for Select are always on brochure release is far better and the right policy and rewards loyal customers than having prices reduced last minute for any customers and then they seem to be treated better than the loyal customers.

Yes I remember that period well.

Loyalty however works both ways and at present they are annoying a lot of customers, some of whom will no longer book early. I think a lot of people will be more cautious about parting with their money too far in advance in future. Holiday companies will have to change their working models accordingly.

• Like 2

As soon as lockdown was announced, accountants advised many companies to halt payment runs until they have a better idea of the long term effects.. Travel companies would be no different and take solidarity that they are mostly all doing the same.. 

Most will survive, but it will be largely because they looked after themselves. 

I have little doubt we will get our refunds at some point, but going forward, things have to change. 

Andy 

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

As soon as lockdown was announced, accountants advised many companies to halt payment runs until they have a better idea of the long term effects.. Travel companies would be no different and take solidarity that they are mostly all doing the same.. 

Most will survive, but it will be largely because they looked after themselves. 

I have little doubt we will get our refunds at some point, but going forward, things have to change. 

Andy 

It doesn’t matter that they are mostly doing the same Andy. As you will know it only takes one person with a large enough debt to start causing immense problems for the debtor.

Perhaps in these circumstances they will pay off the people who shout the loudest. The world was always thus!

You are in business, I’d be interested to know how you think things may change?

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Pros and Cons with both approaches, I guess. It frustrates me having to book a holiday so far in advance. My preference would be that prices were fixed from launch right the way through to sail date (I don’t know if any cruise companies do this, but some travel companies do). That way, if you want the pick of the cabins and confirmed choice of dining etc you book early. If you are tempted to do a cruise at fairly short notice, you can do so in the knowledge that you aren’t being shafted by ‘fluid pricing’. Coronavirus excepted, we would do more cruises if we could book them within months of sail date and know that we weren’t being ripped off, but we have seen a number of the cruises that we have gone on in recent years priced at double (or more) the price we paid at launch. 

• Like 1

Just heard from my TA that he has also heard that P&O are refunding customers direct even if they have paid through a TA.  So that's interesting.  I am at 44 days and nothing received.   I would have much preferred the refund to go straight into my bank.  Cheques are a pain if you live in a village without a bank, but think I might be able to do it on my phone, that is if I ever get the refund cheque!!

That will probably mean that I will then owe the TA the discount that he gave us on booking>!

Edited by jeanlyon

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

There must be quite a few people on here who all applied for a refund on the day the first big batch of cruises were cancelled by P&O. 

We are all now coming up to the 45 days deadline later this week (at that point P&O quoted 45 days not 60 for a refund).

It will be interesting to see if any of us gets paid in that deadline which as we all know is well beyond the 14 days required by law. I have not contacted P&O since submitting the refund and allowed them the time they asked for to complete my refund. Consequently I will not be at all happy if they default on it and at that point (day 46) will start to push them.

Reading other media there seems to be very few refunds being processed and a lot of platitudes being handed out. The staffing appears to be geared towards FCC / new bookings which, while understandable from a business perspective, is not great from the perspective of retaining the other customers who are being left in limbo.

Ill be interested to hear if anyone in the first batch receives their refund this week, within the deadline P&O set.

45 days today.

Got cut off several times by P&O then finally after 30 minutes of music the ring tone came on, someone answered and when I said hello they hung up.

Next tried our TA. After 90 minutes of the same tune I finally got through but the agent couldn't help and promised to ring back in 2 hours when he could tell us something ( Still Waiting for his call)!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

45 days today.

Got cut off several times by P&O then finally after 30 minutes of music the ring tone came on, someone answered and when I said hello they hung up.

Next tried our TA. After 90 minutes of the same tune I finally got through but the agent couldn't help and promised to ring back in 2 hours when he could tell us something ( Still Waiting for his call)!!

I wouldn’t hold your breathe for it.

I’ll be interested however to hear what they say if you do get a reply.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Pros and Cons with both approaches, I guess. It frustrates me having to book a holiday so far in advance. My preference would be that prices were fixed from launch right the way through to sail date (I don’t know if any cruise companies do this, but some travel companies do). That way, if you want the pick of the cabins and confirmed choice of dining etc you book early. If you are tempted to do a cruise at fairly short notice, you can do so in the knowledge that you aren’t being shafted by ‘fluid pricing’. Coronavirus excepted, we would do more cruises if we could book them within months of sail date and know that we weren’t being ripped off, but we have seen a number of the cruises that we have gone on in recent years priced at double (or more) the price we paid at launch. 

Saga do have a policy that if the price drops to below what you paid, you will be refunded the difference. Seems pretty fair to me.

12 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It doesn’t matter that they are mostly doing the same Andy. As you will know it only takes one person with a large enough debt to start causing immense problems for the debtor.

Perhaps in these circumstances they will pay off the people who shout the loudest. The world was always thus!

You are in business, I’d be interested to know how you think things may change?

I was not suggesting they were right, but when everyone does the same, they are inevitably stronger.

This is already proven in that they are breaking the law with absolutely no consequences.. Nobody is challenging them. 

What damage do you think can be done to a company that is possibly already on the brink?

They won't get away with it for long, clarification will have to happen. I would expect ABTA to receive government backing and refunds will become a thing of the past. 

Andy 

21 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

There is at least one person who has publicly stated their intention (on a direct contact form of social media) to take action as their large refund had not been forthcoming. There had obviously been private written discussions about the situation before this was posted publicly. It was answered very, very quickly and nothing more has been said in public(that I have seen anyway) so presumably he has been mollified some how.

We are seeing how one member of the public is reacting. What we are not seeing is how others who are perhaps owed money may be feeling and be acting, suppliers for example.

Hopefully P&O are simply being slow and inefficient, rather than in any sort of financial trouble. 

Interesting. Although I am frustrated at the excessive delays in paying refunds, I haven’t made a complaint to P&O because I am relieved to know that I’m getting a refund (eventually) and I felt that the ability to convert deposits to FCC (rather than just lose them, as I was prepared to do) redeemed them a bit in my eyes.

However, I have had to take another holiday company to task who were steadfastly refusing to refund. I had paid in full for a holiday cottage in the UK which was cancelled (understandably) 4 weeks before we were due to go. All they were offering was a credit note for a new booking for later this year or next year, but as we already had 3 other bookings with them within that period that was no good to us. They also switched their booking centre phone lines off completely, with no diverts to staff working from home.  It took me about 6 emails, four phone calls to/from managers and a slating that I gave them on an online review site before they agreed to refund me, which they have now done. It was frustrating beyond belief having to go through all of that, but I feel very strongly that this virus and its devastating impact on human lives and our freedoms is truly appalling in itself, but when it also results in the rule of law being ignored, even by respectable companies, then it  becomes even more alarming. 

At the opposite end of the scale, some companies have been absolutely brilliant allowing refunds and / or flexibility on future bookings when they don’t need to, well above their T’s and C’s. Top marks to Premier Inn and Red Funnel Ferries (Isle of Wight) whose proactive and positive actions will generate a lot of customer loyalty, including mine. 

• Like 4