Which docks does Carnival use in Hawaii?

Tinknock50

Honolulu:  Pier 11, Aloha tower, unless there are more than one ship in port at a time, then it may be Pier 4

Kauaii:  The port is actually Nawiliwili, and there is only one dock

Maui:  Lahaina, tender

Hawaii:  Kona, tender

Hilo there is only one dock

• Like 1

We docked at Maui at few years ago on Miracle. And BTW, there's NOTHING at the port! Beautiful island, absolutely loved it, but have plans cuz it's kinda like Freeport in Bahama, strictly commercial at the port.

2 hours ago, CRocks said:

We docked at Maui at few years ago on Miracle. And BTW, there's NOTHING at the port! Beautiful island, absolutely loved it, but have plans cuz it's kinda like Freeport in Bahama, strictly commercial at the port.

NCL's POA uses the dock in Kahului, Maui exclusively, wasn't aware that any other ships did.  Yes, it is a commercial port area, and no overnight parking for rental cars anywhere near the port.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lasekeye said:

For the island of Maui, you tender to the port at Kahului.  

I have never seen a cruise ship tender at Kahului.    Cruise ships do tender at Lahaina-  which I've seen the Carnival family of cruises use multiple times.   (including during my week there in January)       

15 hours ago, Tinknock50 said:

Anyone know which docks Carnival uses in each port in Hawaii?

Honolulu will be on your cruise documents   and Maui  will depend on what your itinerary lists.     Kona, Kauai, and Hilo are all "standard"  and only one area       

You looking to arrange rental cars?    

1 hour ago, mkitchy said:

Carnival normally docks in Kahului in Maui. At least they did on our 4 previous Hawaii cruises with Carnival.

If you're renting a car best place to rent is from the airport. In Maui we rented from Dollar;however, they did not have a shuttle from the pier to the airport. There was only one car rental(Sorry but don't remember the company) that had a shuttle to the airport but having said that this shuttle seemed to allow other people to board the shuttle to the airport and didn't check for a confirmed reservation. This was October, 2019. FYI the airport is fairly large and there's some walking involved from where the shuttle drops you off to where the car rental counters are. It involves walking a little bit to an area which is a crossing over airport tram tracks then walking a bit more to where the rental counters are. So it's definitely a more involved process than in Hilo are Kauai. We were able to take the shuttle back to the ship pier again even though we didn't rent the car from the company that runs the shuttle.  My only advice is don't cut it too close when returning the car since there's only 1 shuttle and the lines will be long to get back to the ship. Of course you can take an Uber either way, which if I remember correctly was around the $10-$12 range each way from pier to airport and/or reverse.

Edited by kwokpot

On our cruise in 2015, we docked at all the Hawaiian ports except for Kona...and there, the ship's lifeboats/shuttles were used.

Also, on our cruise that is scheduled for 2021, our itinerary is showing us (again) docking at all the ports...except Kona.

Garnett

Edited by N7786W Flyer

On our Splendor Hawaii cruise last year we did dock in Kahului in Maui.....

i-KhbJs5W-XL.jpg

In Honolulu we docked at Pier 11. The Ovation of the Seas had the prime Clocktower pier.

i-DzKmfDQ-XL.jpg

Kona was a tender port.....

i-gwn2zq3-XL.jpg

i-s9Zsz6g-XL.jpg

We docked in Hilo.....

i-Hrqwrw2-XL.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

If you're renting a car best place to rent is from the airport. In Maui we rented from Dollar;however, they did not have a shuttle from the pier to the airport. There was only one car rental(Sorry but don't remember the company) that had a shuttle to the airport but having said that this shuttle seemed to allow other people to board the shuttle to the airport and didn't check for a confirmed reservation. This was October, 2019. FYI the airport is fairly large and there's some walking involved from where the shuttle drops you off to where the car rental counters are. It involves walking a little bit to an area which is a crossing over airport tram tracks then walking a bit more to where the rental counters are. So it's definitely a more involved process than in Hilo are Kauai. We were able to take the shuttle back to the ship pier again even though we didn't rent the car from the company that runs the shuttle.  My only advice is don't cut it too close when returning the car since there's only 1 shuttle and the lines will be long to get back to the ship. Of course you can take an Uber either way, which if I remember correctly was around the $10-$12 range each way from pier to airport and/or reverse.

The only car rental shuttle in Maui-  is Avis,  Budget and Payless.    Sorry,  but I have been checked before boarding and also have had to show your receipt to return.    I would not assume they won't check.    

Very convenient-  is Hertz is located at Maui Beach Hotel,   where there is also overnight parking.     Last year,  I did witness one frantic woman on the second day-   running all over the Mall parking lot,  when her car had been impounded.   🙂    

I was just there again in January for 3 +  weeks,    I'm typically in Hawaii a couple times every year.     I've been on 3 Hawaii cruises since August 2019.  And always rent cars.   

5 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I have never seen a cruise ship tender at Kahului.    Cruise ships do tender at Lahaina-  which I've seen the Carnival family of cruises use multiple times.   (including during my week there in January)       

Oh, yes, my error.  I was thinking of the tender in Lahaina VS docking in Kahului and typed the wrong info.  Thanks for catching that mistake.

On 4/12/2020 at 9:10 AM, Budget Queen said:

Honolulu will be on your cruise documents   and Maui  will depend on what your itinerary lists.     Kona, Kauai, and Hilo are all "standard"  and only one area       

You looking to arrange rental cars?    

You mean the dock we will use in Honolulu will be on the cruise docs we print up after final payment?

48 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

You mean the dock we will use in Honolulu will be on the cruise docs we print up after final payment?

36 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

Appreciate ALL the answers given!    I especially like the ones that answered my original question to indicate which docks we may use.  ( I already have a list of the ports we will be going to).  🙂

Yes.   

On 4/12/2020 at 12:31 PM, kwokpot said:

Oct 2019, I think I was on that cruise with you! In Kahului there are actually two rental car agencies within reasonable walking distance of the port. I believe I rented from an enterprise there.

edit: yup, enterprise. It’s actually a longer walk from the ship to the road, then from the port entrance to the car rental.

image.jpeg.f37e9d8528d76569dcc1c4386b9c41c7.jpeg

Edited by thenexus2k

1 hour ago, Budget Queen said:

Yes.   

"You mean the dock we will use in Honolulu will be on the cruise docs we print up after final payment?"

"Yes".

Interesting, I don't recall seeing that with other cruise lines, unless that was where your cruise originated so you would go to right dock to begin your cruise.

1 hour ago, Tinknock50 said:

"You mean the dock we will use in Honolulu will be on the cruise docs we print up after final payment?"

"Yes".

Interesting, I don't recall seeing that with other cruise lines, unless that was where your cruise originated so you would go to right dock to begin your cruise.

I’m sorry   I’ve done a lot of embarks in Honolulu.   When ships start sailing just do a dock schedule search.   There are several listed websites.     

13 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I’m sorry   I’ve done a lot of embarks in Honolulu.   When ships start sailing just do a dock schedule search.   There are several listed websites.     

Thanks. This cruise embarks from San Diego so they probably will tell us which dock we will embark from because there are two ships that day.

I have been searching for a site that has the dock schedules in Hawaii, but so far no luck. Anyone know of a good website for that?   I miss having that like they do for Alaska cruises.  I could always determine actual dock locations there.

Hey found one .Yay!

https://hawaii.portcall.com/#!?tab=2

Edited by Tinknock50

15 hours ago, thenexus2k said:

Oct 2019, I think I was on that cruise with you! In Kahului there are actually two rental car agencies within reasonable walking distance of the port. I believe I rented from an enterprise there.

edit: yup, enterprise. It’s actually a longer walk from the ship to the road, then from the port entrance to the car rental.

image.jpeg.f37e9d8528d76569dcc1c4386b9c41c7.jpeg

The Legend departing Vancouver Sept. 26th? We had a great time on the cruise. I think the highlight was the Hilo stop where we were able to drive to both Volcanoes National Park AND go to the black sand Beach and see the giant turtles! We've done Volcanos Park many times but never went to see the turtles. For anyone that hasn't gone to Volcanoes National Park you must go and drive the Chain of Craters Road all the way down to the end of Hilo Island. Attached is a picture of the Arch that's visible if you drive the Chain of Craters Road all the way to the end and you walk literally to the end of Hilo Island! The other Photo is the Black Sand Beach with the giant turtles!

IMG_20191002_114514.jpg

IMG_20191002_135958.jpg

36 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The Legend departing Vancouver Sept. 26th? We had a great time on the cruise. I think the highlight was the Hilo stop where we were able to drive to both Volcanoes National Park AND go to the black sand Beach and see the giant turtles! We've done Volcanos Park many times but never went to see the turtles. For anyone that hasn't gone to Volcanoes National Park you must go and drive the Chain of Craters Road all the way down to the end of Hilo Island. Attached is a picture of the Arch that's visible if you drive the Chain of Craters Road all the way to the end and you walk literally to the end of Hilo Island! The other Photo is the Black Sand Beach with the giant turtles!

IMG_20191002_114514.jpg

IMG_20191002_135958.jpg

Ah. We were on the miracle from long beach on Oct 16th. I remember that sea arch on our own tour on Hilo. 

We docked in Kahului on Maui. We walked directly across the street to Enterprise Car rental. It was very easy. Every car rental was very easy, but this one had the longest wait by far. 

Oahu - Aloha tower. We took a bus to a car rental near the airport. We just followed all the transit directions on our iphones. Again really easy, probably would have tried for something closer in Waikiki had I known how easy the bus was to use. I wasn’t sure about drop off times. 

Kona - tender, rented a car right off the pier at Marriot King Kamehameha, very easy to get to. Just reserve as soon as you can and get off as soon as you can. This was the trickiest port because we had to tender reposition the ship which took awhile. Also, “priority” boarding for tenders is an issue as  more than half the ship was platinum. This was extremely annoying and took A LONG time to get off the ship. The car rental almost closed, we got there just in time. They close pretty early, so be aware of that.

Hilo - We rented a car at the airport. I can’t remember which line we used. We did not see them listed on the airport shuttles, so we thought it was separate and took an uber. It turns out it was sharing a booth & we could have just taken the free shuttle. Lesson learned. Again, really easy to get to. This one also through me off because on maps it looks like a very easy walk, but it is not. Just take the shuttle. 

I am SO happy with how smooth all our car rentals went. Hands down saved hundreds and saw way more by doing our own thing. It was the best decision ever. Just be sure to reserve early. 😁