Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Mushy peas not on fish here Lyle, only with meat pies, although I have them as a veg. The Brits love mushy peas and curry sauce/gravy with their fish and chips, yuk.  Yes, coleslaw, tartare sauce, malt vinegar with fried fish.

When I was on Coral Princess recently, one lunch time it was English or was it British  Pub lunch in the MDR, they did me a nice gluten free battered fish and chips, on request, mushy peas were optional, lol.

1610210863_th(1).jpg.cf0a0c064192c420b344362973b91d6b.jpgth.jpg.3d76c36151ae2bbcf103b0c5f0191c5d.jpg

We had the pub lunch in the MDR that time as well. The fish was very, very good. I don't think the peas were true mushy peas, they were just mashed up regular green peas.

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

We had the pub lunch in the MDR that time as well. The fish was very, very good. I don't think the peas were true mushy peas, they were just mashed up regular green peas.

Do you know what kind of fish?  Fish is my main meal.

40 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It doesn't get nearly as cold here on Vancouver island and we will definitely have rain. We can have wind and rain storms as well, but nothing like what just went through the Maritimes. Lynn's brother lives in Louisburg and his house received a fair bit of damage.

Knowing you are a cruiser, I've been meaning to tell you about CTMA Vacancies, a fabulous small French ship which sails from Montreal to the Magdalen Islands and return.  We went in 2011.  It has thee themes - Food, Theatre/Art and Exercise like bikes.  We took food for obvious reasons because we didn't need French.  They had really good Arcadian or French entertainment every night.  I absolutely loved it - great food at ports, beautiful scenery and wonderful entertainment.

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Where is Louisburg?  Sorry to hear your wife's brother's house got damaged.  Florida has just received very bad damage from surges and hurricane Ian.  I'll never forget the roar of a cyclone!  I haven't heard from my friend who lives on the west coast of Florida.   I know they lost power.  The hurricane has turned into a bad storm in a few northern. 

I know Victoria has the mildest climate in Canada.

I wonder if any cruise ships were near Florida, Cuba and Puerto Rico?  I know they move out of harm's way .I ended up in Boston on a cruise once in lieu of Bermuda.  Never did get there!~

The Maritime provinces were hit by "post tropical storm" Fiona abut 4 days ago. Louisburg is on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. Sydney Nova Scotia is on Cape Breton Island. There were cruise ships in the area when the storm hit, Zaandam put in to Halifax the next day but of course the port was closed to visitors. Much of the itinerary was changed because of the storm.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

The Maritime provinces were hit by "post tropical storm" Fiona abut 4 days ago. Louisburg is on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. Sydney Nova Scotia is on Cape Breton Island. There were cruise ships in the area when the storm hit, Zaandam put in to Halifax the next day but of course the port was closed to visitors. Much of the itinerary was changed because of the storm.

I didn't hear of that tropical storm Fiona,  All papers were full of Cuba Cyclone heading towards Florida.  I've driven around Cape Breton and have a lot of Cape Breton music.  I knew of Sydney because of our Sydney.  Ive also been to Halifax on a ship.  Maybe I do know Louisburg - I'll check on a map

Just now, MMDown Under said:

I didn't hear of that tropical storm Fiona,  All papers were full of Cuba Cyclone heading towards Florida.  I've driven around Cape Breton and have a lot of Cape Breton music.  I knew of Sydney because of our Sydney.  Ive also been to Halifax on a ship.  Maybe I do know Louisburg - I'll check on a map

I have been on a day trip there via ship  We visited an interesting fortress there.  (smile)   I don't recall place names as much if we don't drive !

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Knowing you are a cruiser, I've been meaning to tell you about CTMA Vacancies, a fabulous small French ship which sails from Montreal to the Magdalen Islands and return.  We went in 2011.  It has thee themes - Food, Theatre/Art and Exercise like bikes.  We took food for obvious reasons because we didn't need French.  They had really good Arcadian or French entertainment every night.  I absolutely loved it - great food at ports, beautiful scenery and wonderful entertainment.

Thank you, that sounds very interesting. We are booked for a Boston to Montreal on Zaandam in August next year. The ports are Boston, Portland Maine, St John New Brunswick, Halifax Nova Scotia, Cornerbrook Newfoundland, Charlottetown PEI, Saguenay Quebec, Quebec City and Montreal.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Thank you, that sounds very interesting. We are booked for a Boston to Montreal on Zaandam in August next year. The ports are Boston, Portland Maine, St John New Brunswick, Halifax Nova Scotia, Cornerbrook Newfoundland, Charlottetown PEI, Saguenay Quebec, Quebec City and Montreal.

Sounds a good cruise with bonus time in great ports at Boston and Montreal. We went up to Saguenay on our cruise which was a scenic trip.

26 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I buy these ones from Coles...$2.40

peas.jpg.77f730c0e95123c427c53533c672a8a1.jpg

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Sounds a good cruise with bonus time in great ports at Boston and Montreal. We went up to Saguenay on our cruise which was a scenic trip.

Yes I think we will Fly in to Boston at least 2 days before the cruise. There is much to see, I want to go to the JFK Library. His funeral is one of my earliest childhood memories. We will stay a couple nights in Montreal before we take the train to Ottawa for a couple nights before we fly home.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes I think we will Fly in to Boston at least 2 days before the cruise. There is much to see, I want to go to the JFK Library. His funeral is one of my earliest childhood memories. We will stay a couple nights in Montreal before we take the train to Ottawa for a couple nights before we fly home.

JFK Library is worth a day!  Boston a few days as is Montreal.  What a lovely to trip to plan for.

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Think I told you before Lyle we did a similar itinerary inc New York City on P&O UK's Aurora, a few years ago, from Southampton.  A very interesting journey, you will enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

We just got an email from friends who are currently cruising on P&O UK Aurora in eastern Canada. They had to do a big diversion due to Fiona. They missed St John and Gaspe, got into Quebec and are currently at Saguenay. Their next call to Charlottetown has been replaced by Corner Brook, and they are waiting to hear if it will be possible to visit Sydney or Halifax.

We would love to cruise Eastern Canada one day, hopefully when there is no hurricane.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

We just got an email from friends who are currently cruising on P&O UK Aurora in eastern Canada. They had to do a big diversion due to Fiona. They missed St John and Gaspe, got into Quebec and are currently at Saguenay. Their next call to Charlottetown has been replaced by Corner Brook, and they are waiting to hear if it will be possible to visit Sydney or Halifax.

We would love to cruise Eastern Canada one day, hopefully when there is no hurricane.

Check out HAL Zaandam cruise that sails 23 Aug 2023, see you there 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Mushy peas not on fish here Lyle, only with meat pies, although I have them as a veg. The Brits love mushy peas and curry sauce/gravy with their fish and chips, yuk.  Yes, coleslaw, tartare sauce, malt vinegar with fried fish.

When I was on Coral Princess recently, one lunch time it was English or was it British  Pub lunch in the MDR, they did me a nice gluten free battered fish and chips, on request, mushy peas were optional, lol.

1610210863_th(1).jpg.cf0a0c064192c420b344362973b91d6b.jpgth.jpg.3d76c36151ae2bbcf103b0c5f0191c5d.jpg

OH! yes please, chips and curry sauce tasty.

14 minutes ago, ekka49 said:

Yes, we buy the same mushy peas from Woolworths. Two tins in the pantry at the moment.

I also like the Farrows marrowfat peas...$2.  Bought a couple of those yesterday, . They can become mushy peas if you heat them too long.

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

I also like the Farrows marrowfat peas...$2.  Bought a couple of those yesterday, of those yesterday. They can become mushy peas if you heat them too long.

They are a good pea as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Do you know what kind of fish?  Fish is my main meal.

It was cod that time. Normally I don't like cod much as it can be watery but that lot was beautiful.

They have some wonderful salmon dishes on Coral. It's always available but they vary the sauces and accompaniments.

• Like 1