Most aren’t falling for the FCC on Carnival according to:

tallnthensome

Garbage article. How is accepting $600 obc and moving all the money I paid to another cruise somehow a trick?!?

Carnival isn't going anywhere people. They have enough cash and assets to last over a year with no cruises.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I wish I knew their numbers. I know I canceled my August cruise to Alaska three weeks ago on NCL at 143 days outside the 120 day cancellation window and haven’t seen a dime yet. 

I cancelled my msc in August 3 weeks ago also.they are a bit slow with the refund.i was just going to rebook since my balcony is still available at a much lower price but wife says I'll be going solo if I do.we won't cruise until 2022 since I booked a journey cruise from Charleston before all this craziness kicked in.the price on it has gone up $400 when I checked last week.

8 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

Carnival isn't going anywhere people. They have enough cash and assets to last over a year with no cruises.

Yes, but not enough to last nearly that long if they pay everyone back a refund on every cruise that hasn’t been cancelled and will be cancelled. That’s the part you are missing and the current problem hence the purposeful delay in refunds. I too could survive for a year with no income but that changes when I have to pay debts owed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Yes, but not enough to last nearly that long if they pay everyone back a refund on every cruise that hasn’t been cancelled and will be cancelled. That’s the part you are missing and the current problem hence the purposeful delay in refunds. I too could survive for a year with no income but that changes when I have to pay debts owed. 

So how is it a "trick" to accept the OBC/FCC then?

If you wanted to go on a cruise and paid for it to begin with I dont see why you would pull your funds and not accept free OBC.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

So how is it a "trick" to accept the OBC/FCC then?

If you wanted to go on a cruise and paid for it to begin with I dont see why you would pull your funds and not accept free OBC.

You don’t let a company that is in trouble keep your cash based on a promise.  They are using our cash to keep operations going, not giving it back to those individuals due. You don’t catch a falling knife nor trade cash for a future IOU when bankruptcy is knocking at the back door. Once I request a refund all bets are off. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

You don’t let a company that is in trouble keep your cash based on a promise.  They are using our cash to keep operations going, not giving it back to those individuals due. You don’t catch a falling knife nor trade cash for a future IOU when bankruptcy is knocking at the back door. 

Operations aren't really going LOL.

They are sending/have already sent most ship crew members home. Working with less customer service representatives.

They clearly stated due to the volume of refunds it could take up to 90 days. Which is fine who cares... I'll wait on my excursions refund and take the $600 OBC for my future cruise.

I will gladly let Carnival keep my money for future cruises. 

ISN'T THAT WHAT WE PAID THEM FOR TO BEGIN WITH?!

3 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

Operations aren't really going LOL.

They are sending/have already sent most ship crew members home. Working with less customer service representatives.

They clearly stated due to the volume of refunds it could take up to 90 days. Which is fine who cares... I'll wait on my excursions refund and take the $600 OBC for my future cruise.

I will gladly let Carnival keep my money for future cruises. 

ISN'T THAT WHAT WE PAID THEM FOR TO BEGIN WITH?!

Unless every ship is covered with a tarp,  everyone that works for Carnival is gone, and the lights are turned off they are still operating and needing cash to do so. Funny how billion dollar hotel chains can issue a refund for a cancelled hotel room in two days .....You don’t see them trying to delay a refund by offering you some future room credit.  If you want to let a company in trouble with possible bankruptcy creeping up on it keep your money you go right ahead. Most of us are not cheerleaders on that level ......

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Unless every ship is covered with a tarp,  everyone that works for Carnival is gone, and the lights are turned off they are still operating and needing cash to do so. Funny how billion dollar hotel chains can issue a refund for a cancelled hotel room in two days .....You don’t see them trying to delay a refund by offering you some future room credit.  If you want to let a company in trouble with possible bankruptcy creeping up on it keep your money you go right ahead. Most of us are not cheerleaders on that level ......

Your highly mistaken if you think bankruptcy is anywhere close for carnival. 

Kinda sound like a cheerleader though with all this whining.

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Always the optimist.  I have no fears on my money being held.  

• Like 3

I also took the FCC and OBC for my cancelled May 10th cruise. I re-booked same cruise in 2021. I found a PVP on Google and she took care of everything. All of the FCC and OBC showed up on new booking within 10 days. Refund option did me no good as I too paid for cancelled cruise with gift cards. I saw a You Tube video the other day from one of those cruise vlogers who offered his opinion about refunds. He surmised that  refunds would probably not happen until the actual cruise date. I realize it is your money and you want it back, but didn't we all give it willingly usually 90 days before cruise date? I think your paid booking is a sort of contract and even though the sailing was cancelled maybe it isn't OFFICIAL until the sail date. Just thoughts.

Just got my email that my June 2020 cruise is cancelled.  On the form to accept the FCC/OBC, there is a spot to transfer all amounts to the cruise we already have booked for October 2021.

• Like 1

Stu Barney on FBN said this morning they talked to someone who books cruises and there must be a certain loyalty. They said bookings for 2021 are up 40%. Could be people trying to use up those fccs, but people are booking for next year. 

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Imagine "falling" for postponing your cruise to a perceived safer time, being able to see up front what your options are, and getting an extra $600 for doing so. What a real moron, right!?

Yes,  and YOU could hold onto your money and book with anyone else at anytime without worry. Cash in hand is better than a promise considering where Carnival and their cash position may be in a few months, possible bankruptcy, and where and how long this virus will  go. Glad to hear imaginary FCC tops all that somehow in your mind. 

Edited by tallnthensome

If you're taking the bankruptcy-is-inevitable route and thinking you're going to get that 100% refund you may be dreaming also. How many of you have actually received your REFUND already ?

That's what I thought. If you're going to roll the dice when you actually have no choice,  why not take that $600 OBC as added incentive ? You either lose 100% of your cruise (unrefunded refund) or you lose 100% of your cruise plus the promised $600 OBC.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Yes,  and YOU could hold onto your money and book with anyone else at anytime without worry. Cash in hand is better than a promise considering where Carnival and their cash position may be in a few months, possible bankruptcy, and where and how long this virus will  go. Glad to hear imaginary FCC tops all that somehow in your mind. 

I think you should take a walk around a block and calm down. everyone should. we each make different decisions, to imply one decision is dumb is not helpful to the discourse. it also just ratchets up the  emotion.

I have seen plenty of facts shared here, and opinions when people ask. but do it respectively. I dont want to call mother (Host Clarea)!

• Like 6

I took the FFC and immediately rebooked the to the exact same cruise except in January instead of April. I paid with Carnival gift cards partially and used AMEX rewards, so I didn't want to lose my discounts. I also now have $600 of OBC to spend. 

Our travel insurance easily changed to the new date. Looking forward to our trip as long as things improve by then. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 1019throw said:

I took the FCC only because I'm already indebted to carnival, since my full cruise was paid with carnival gift cards. If they go under, I'm ***** out of luck anyway with the gift cards. I do think they'll come back, although cruising may look different than it did in the past. 

I am in the same boat!

I had $1300 in FCC from the canceled Mardis Gras and about $3000 in gift cards for my June European cruise. 

I heard the Saudis are investing heavily in Carnival and RCL board members are buying up RCL stock.  I sold some of my RCL stock that I bought at its lowest point (it went up by 80 percent) last Friday and a company called RCL Norwegian Ltd. bought it.  

I did a little research to try to figure out how gift cards, FCC, and stock would be treated in a bankruptcy.  First, I think if Carnival does declare bankruptcy, it will be a reorganization.  Their ships aren't going to cease to exist and there isn't much of a market for them...especially since the other cruise lines are in trouble.  Their creditors (banks) will want to ensure that they start sailing again because that is how they make money and, in turn, repay them. If this was JUST a carnival problem, perhaps they would be acquired by RCL or what not, but all of the lines are facing the same problem.  And the "CCL" and "CUK" organizations have so many various lines (Princess, Holland, etc.) and are the largest so I can't imagine there would be anyone else to even "buy them out."  

There really isn't any comparison to this situation for cruise lines. Closest may be airlines. In the case of the 2011 American Airlines reorganization, the stock holders who kept their stock actually came out ahead as they were offered the option of trading their stock in the new company. Unfortunately, that is the rare exception. Usually stock becomes worthless. 

In the case of the Toys R US bankruptcy, the court made a specific provision for gift card holders.   However, when The Limited closed its stores and declared bankruptcy, the values were lost. Radio Shack and some others had a brief time to use them in store, but that would not help us here. 

I was looking at gift cards not only to try to figure out whether to get my refund in gift cards (how I paid) or FCC, but also because I figured they were the closest comparable situation to a bankrupt company...only other thing I could think of was maybe a "home warranty" by a defunct home builder.  

Where an airline went bankrupt but remained in operation (like American in 2011), the "flyers" got a refund of their canceled flights.   

7 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Funny how billion dollar hotel chains can issue a refund for a cancelled hotel room in two days .....You don’t see them trying to delay a refund by offering you some future room credit.  If you want to let a company in trouble with possible bankruptcy creeping up on it keep your money you go right ahead. Most of us are not cheerleaders on that level ......

You seem confused. How much is your one night hotel booking refund? $100 to a few hundred dollars max per reservation. Many hotel bookings are only secured with a credit card #s and no refund is required by those billion dollar hotel chains. Now compare this with a typical cruise booking refund that is in thousands of dollars per reservation. Can you now see the difference and how ridicules your hotel vs. cruise line comparative example is.