Full Refunds

Called Holiday Inn a couple of days ago to cancel my stay in Hawaii.  Rep on phone told me will I will receive full refund on the non-refundable prepaid stay.  Told me it would take 30-60 days to get the refund that will show up on my CC.

It was already refunded by this morning.  😮    Guess RCI could use some lessons from IHG.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Called Holiday Inn a couple of days ago to cancel my stay in Hawaii.  Rep on phone told me will I will receive full refund on the non-refundable prepaid stay.  Told me it would take 30-60 days to get the refund that will show up on my CC.

It was already refunded by this morning.  😮    Guess RCI could use some lessons from IHG.  

Similarly, American Airlines, who I typically think has some of the worst possible customer service, refunded my canceled flights within a week of my requesting it.  This current situation (beyond the canceled cruises) is just bizarre, unprecedented, and sad and I'm hoping they do in fact have the ability to make refunds for the people requesting it. 

• Like 3

I've received back all of my cruise planner purchases which we cancelled about 2 weeks prior to RCI cancelling our May Alaska cruise, it took about 3 weeks to get them all refunded.  But it's only been 15 days since we cancelled our cruise and requested the 100% refund over the FCC.  Makes me kind of nervous hearing that nobody has received their refund for the cruise itself yet.  I understand this must be a logistical nightmare from RCI with everything going on but I would think fulfilling a refund request shouldn't take 30 days.  We received refunds in just a few days from Air BnB, resort for a day, our 3rd party travel insurance as well as 3 future flight credits.  Every travel related company is dealing with massive cancellations, is it just the cruise industry that is taking so long to actually refund real money for cancelled cruises, taxes and port fees?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our March 15th Freedom Southern Caribbean was cancelled as we were coming back off the March 8th cruise, my TA put in for a full refund and still have not received anything yet for the cruise or excursions. She did inform me a couple days ago, she put in a request on another line and it took 90 days so i hope we don't have to wait two more months. 

• Thanks 1

What is ironic..... how many times has Royal stuck it to  folks who missed the final payment by a day or two....telling them to go scratch??? Now Royal owes several of us past the promised 30 day mark with no status updates. Pretty bad business RCCL...you should feel ashamed....I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on your product over the years and this is how you treat me and your base now? Good luck keeping my business once this is over. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, rolloman said:

What is ironic..... how many times has Royal stuck it to  folks who missed the final payment by a day or two....telling them to go scratch??? Now Royal owes several of us past the promised 30 day mark with no status updates. Pretty bad business RCCL...you should feel ashamed....I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on your product over the years and this is how you treat me and your base now? Good luck keeping my business once this is over. 

I couldn't agree with you more. What RCL is doing here -- treating customer payments as a commercial piggy bank -- even though they canceled the service is some of the worst corporate behavior I've seen in the past ten years. I've got two cruises and a total of 6 cabins outstanding pending refunds on cruises they canceled over a month ago. 

I've a major RCL proponent, having been on 30~ cruises on their lines, but after this it will be extremely difficult for me to give them another dime. 

And for the record about a year ago I forgot to make a final payment and was two days late before I caught it. I spent hours on the phone convincing RCL to reinstate my $900 deposit towards the full payment. This, after spending lots of money with the company over 15 years. Should have just moved on after that cruise... 

Edited by Jonbiloh
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jonbiloh said:

I couldn't agree with you more. What RCL is doing here -- treating customer payments as a commercial piggy bank -- even though they canceled the service is some of the worst corporate behavior I've seen in the past ten years. I've got two cruises and a total of 6 cabins outstanding pending refunds on cruises they canceled over a month ago. 

I've a major RCL proponent, having been on 30~ cruises on their lines, but after this it will be extremely difficult for me to give them another dime. 

And for the record about a year ago I forgot to make a final payment and was two days late before I caught it. I spent hours on the phone convincing RCL to reinstate my $900 deposit towards the full payment. This, after spending lots of money with the company over 15 years. Should have just moved on after that cruise... 

Royal may have no choice in order to keep their head above water. 

In my opinion 

I got the FCC for my March 19 cruise [Grandeur]  just a few days ago.  That was cancelled after Baltimore closed the port on March 13 [IIRC]. Most passengers on our roll call had similar timing [I did not ask for a refund--but, am thinking about it.]  Today I got an email telling me the planner purchases for that cruise were refunded to the Credit Card and they gave the last 4 digits of the appropriate card. . . . so they are working at it slowly. [very slowly]

For everyone complaining that they haven’t received their refund and it’s a couple days overdue and threatening to leave just know that the grass just always greener on the other side.   NCL is telling people 90 days, the communication from Princess today stated 60 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I canceled a refundable cruise a month ago for 2022, still no refund of deposit.

I canceled an excursion last month for another cruise, after three weeks was credited to cc.

RCL canceled  our cruise for this month last month, took the refund, nothing yet.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

For everyone complaining that they haven’t received their refund and it’s a couple days overdue and threatening to leave just know that the grass just always greener on the other side.   NCL is telling people 90 days, the communication from Princess today stated 60 days.

There is lots of grass out there and puhlease!!   Do not try to deflect this specific issue of RCCL onto some other line. We are specifically talking about Royal Caribbean stating they will refund in 30 days and they did not meet that commitment. However, in the best of times for Royal when folks missed their commitment date, Royal Caribbean was relentless and unforgiving. Royal also showed no remorse cutting D+ benefits...so now you think we should all sit here and accept more adverse treatment? Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Just now, rolloman said:

There is lots of grass out there and puhlease!!   Do not try to deflect this specific issue of RCCL onto some other line. We are specifically talking about Royal Caribbean stating they will refund in 30 days and they did not meet that commitment. However, in the best of times for Royal when folks missed their commitment date, Royal Caribbean was relentless and unforgiving. Royal also showed no remorse cutting D+ benefits...so now you think we should all sit here and accept more adverse treatment? Ridiculous. 

I’m saying be patient. It’s different times, people are working from home, they are overloaded and people are going ballistic over something a couple days past due.  Maybe they would have been better to tell everyone that it would be 60 days then make everyone happy when they received it at 45.  That’s just my opinion and I’m in the same boat as others waiting on a refund, just letting people know that they aren’t going to get any different treatment from all the other mass market lines. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’m saying be patient. It’s different times, people are working from home, they are overloaded and people are going ballistic over something a couple days past due.  Maybe they would have been better to tell everyone that it would be 60 days then make everyone happy when they received it at 45.  That’s just my opinion and I’m in the same boat as others waiting on a refund, just letting people know that they aren’t going to get any different treatment from all the other mass market lines. 

They made a commitment....they did not honor it. PERIOD. In the past, any passenger who did not honor their commitment it fell on deaf ears from Royal...they were denied and sent packing. In this case, the definition of patience is waiting the full 30 days..... this is no longer a situation which required patience. It now becomes a legal issue due to a broken contract. Who are you to minimize the situation? Are you compensated from the cruise line for your writings? You know, by law if you are, you are required to say so...…..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rolloman said:

They made a commitment....they did not honor it. PERIOD. In the past, any passenger who did not honor their commitment it fell on deaf ears from Royal...they were denied and sent packing. In this case, the definition of patience is waiting the full 30 days..... this is no longer a situation which required patience. It now becomes a legal issue due to a broken contract. Who are you to minimize the situation? Are you compensated from the cruise line for your writings? You know, by law if you are, you are required to say so...…..

Lol.  Enjoy your future cruises. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Lol.  Enjoy your future cruises. 

uh huh.....enjoy your compensation.....glad you find it funny folks are being denied their own money for food and necessities they desperately need during this crisis. Unreal!

Edited by rolloman
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, rolloman said:

You just better hope Royal stays afloat without reorganization. Reorganization is very likely to eliminate the C&A program as it is known today. 

In my opinion 

Compensation definition: Something, given or received as payment or reparation, as for a service or loss. In this case...examples...free cruise, onboard credit, specialty restaurant, bottle of wine and the list goes on...…..

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You just better hope Royal stays afloat without reorganization. Reorganization is very likely to eliminate the C&A program as it is known today. 

In my opinion 

I thought I had you on ignore....going to have to fix that (again).  But as a courtesy I will answer you with.....Why would I care about reorganization when I just clearly stated I will no longer cruise with RCCL due to this breach in contract???????

10 minutes ago, rolloman said:

uh huh.....enjoy your compensation.....glad you find it funny folks are being denied their own money for food and necessities they desperately need during this crisis. Unreal!

And since you edited you post after I replied the LOL was in reference to your thinking that I received any compensation.  There is indeed nothing funny about this situation. 

• Like 1

I feel as though I am both patient and understanding.  My concern is why does it take so long to process an electronic refund?  As I stated earlier in this post, the travel industry has been turned upside down and every refund outside of the cancelled cruise I have requested I have received in a matter of days, this includes the time it took for our 3rd party travel insurance to receive our cancellation request online and mail us an actual paper check (this one actual took a little over a week).  I'm only 15 days into my request so I'm here to read about others experience who have gone the full 30 days or more and it is not that reassuring.  I thought this message board was for information and sharing of experiences.  I realize portions of a lot of posts get nasty and aggressive, but again I think most cruisers understand the burden the industry and it's customer service reps and TAs are under and I don't think anyone is being unreasonable questioning the time it is taking to receive a refund.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Have these other lines promised refunds within 30 days only to not follow through and give no notification to their customers?  Just curious.

Another unsettling issue is that they are not communicating with their customers who were expecting refunds.  At least send an email out letting them know.  Instead they are leaving to their customers to tie up their phone lines, stress their poor employees out who probably don't even have a real answer, and making people lose faith in their company.  

Edited by KelSny1011
Typo
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Royal also showed no remorse cutting D+ benefits...so now you think we should all sit here and accept more adverse treatment? Ridiculous. 

Because of this. I believe I remember your concerns as D+.  

Even after those concerns you still had cruises booked?

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

5 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

Have these other lines promised refunds within 30 days only to not follow through and give no notification to their customers?  Just curious.

Another unsettling issue is that they are not communicating with their customers who were expecting refunds.  At least send an email out letting them know.  Instead they are leaving to their customers to tie up their phone lines, stress their poor employees out who probably don't even have a real answer, and making people lose faith in their company.  

100% correct.

• Like 1