Are "Segment" Guests Second-Class Citizens?

jimdee3636

My wife and I have been on about thirty cruises, most in the 14 to 21 day range, on about six different lines, but never on a world cruise segment. However, we're looking at a Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing in January of 2022 on the QV that would be the second segment of a world cruise that begins in Hamburg and then Southampton. I'm wondering what the experience might be like. Would the "full" WC cruisers tend to look down their noses on those who are on the ship for only a couple of weeks? I've been told by crew members on HAL and Silversea that on a typical WC about 80% of the guests are doing the complete 100+ day cruise, so if Cunard is similar we'd probably be in a small minority. Any insights from experienced WC cruises would be appreciated. Thanks!

We did a world cruise segment on Queen Victoria from Hong Kong to Cape Town last year.

I think there were about 300 passengers doing the whole world cruise. The ship holds around 2,000.

So whole world cruise passengers were in a minority. We never felt it was a case of "us" and "them". 

We've done a number of 30-40 days segments on Cunard and P & O world cruises and found that there is little difference between the service given to full world-cruise passengers and that given to 'segment' passengers.  Yes, there are occasional extra bonuses for those doing the full world cruise but nothing to shout about. 

And no-one 'looks down their nose' at you because there may be two or three thousand people on board so how are they to know?    So, nothing to worry about.

We definitely felt that was the case on a Holland America WC segment a few years ago, but didn't feel that at all on a half world cruise on QM2 in 2016. Difference was that on HAL the majority were doing a world cruise, whilst on the QM2 the world cruisers were very much a minority.

I have done- unbeknowenst to myself in the first- some segments- just 7 day crossings oder a BTB crossing two years ago. I could find any difference to " regular" voyages. And if they would look down their noses- oh well- please be my guest- just think of it- at the end of the day they use their toilet paper for the same reason than anybody else...!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

Having done a couple of segments and have had no problems. There will be a area for the full world cruisers to hang out and a concierge for them. Have had large tables with a mix of full and segment cruisers and have been lucky every one was very nice.

Hi, 

I did short world cruise segments on the Queen Mary 2 in 2017 (seven days from Hong Kong to Singapore) and the Queen Victoria in 2015 (final eight day segment from New York to Southampton). I had a wonderful time and never felt that anyone looked down at me. In fact, I enjoyed talking to the full world cruise passengers and hearing about their cruise. I would definitely recommend the world cruise segments.

Chuck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I have done- unbeknowenst to myself in the first- some segments- just 7 day crossings oder a BTB crossing two years ago. I could find any difference to " regular" voyages. And if they would look down their noses- oh well- please be my guest- just think of it- at the end of the day they use their toilet paper for the same reason than anybody else...!

Have to quote myself- of course i ment i could NOT find any difference to regualar voyages. Sorry!

• Like 1

Hello!

I have done quite a number of world cruise segments most recently on this past world cruise from New York to Hong Kong on the QM2.  As everyone knows the Asian ports were all cancelled and I ended disembarking in Fremantle.

I can assure you with great confidence that you will be very comfortable with ALL your fellow passengers,  No one is going to judge you for doing a segment or segments. In fact, I met several full world cruise passengers who told me they wished they had only done some segments as they were finding the full world cruise to much.  Just have fun!

Deck Chair

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

Thanks for responding. Your comments make the QV segment we're considering more appealing.

Jim 

Good morning Jim.

Having had many experiences of both single and multiple segments of Cunard World Voyages ( and numerous other lines as well) I'd say about the only time you'd notice anything, particularly on Queen Victoria, would be if you happened to transit the Wintergarden which usually houses the World Concierge desk and a 'token' snack bar...

1891872126_WorldVoyageConcierge1.jpg.d60c1b43138d769832de7d915dc01e16.jpg

900512957_WorldVoyageConcierge2.jpg.159e9a6144ca17ffa94b6f9109dc9bd8.jpg

I'd go for it as long as the itinerary appeals.

3 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning Jim.

Having had many experiences of both single and multiple segments of Cunard World Voyages ( and numerous other lines as well) I'd say about the only time you'd notice anything, particularly on Queen Victoria, would be if you happened to transit the Wintergarden which usually houses the World Concierge desk and a 'token' snack bar...

I'd go for it as long as the itinerary appeals.

Interesting.  When I did QV (2010) it was the Admirals Lounge off the Commodore Club, but it was Wintergarden on QE, so there is now some consistency between the little sisters.  On QM2 it's the Atlantic Room.

I've done segments on HAL, Crystal, and Cunard as well as full grand voyages on Crystal and HAL.  Of the 3 Cunard was the most egalitarian.  There MAY be some other perks that full voyages get on Cunard but they're out of sight and don't detract from the onboard guest experience.

Roy

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

My wife and I have been on about thirty cruises, most in the 14 to 21 day range, on about six different lines, but never on a world cruise segment. However, we're looking at a Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing in January of 2022 on the QV that would be the second segment of a world cruise that begins in Hamburg and then Southampton. I'm wondering what the experience might be like. Would the "full" WC cruisers tend to look down their noses on those who are on the ship for only a couple of weeks? I've been told by crew members on HAL and Silversea that on a typical WC about 80% of the guests are doing the complete 100+ day cruise, so if Cunard is similar we'd probably be in a small minority. Any insights from experienced WC cruises would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have never, alas, been on a World Cruise, nor even a segment. But I do feel no-one can make you feel a second class citizen unless you let them, and that anyone who might attempt to do so should be regarded with contempt.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jimdee3636 - I'm glad you asked this since I've been wondering the same thing!  Although I'm Diamond level w/Cunard, a full world cruise seems like too many days at one stretch for me so would prefer to do segments (and some of the segments look very appealing!)  I have an October 2020 QE voyage booked (Japan) which I may cancel and move my deposit to a segment of a world cruise.  With all the positive responses for doing a segment, I'll while away pleasant hours pondering!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Queenvee said:

Jimdee3636 - I'm glad you asked this since I've been wondering the same thing!  Although I'm Diamond level w/Cunard, a full world cruise seems like too many days at one stretch for me so would prefer to do segments (and some of the segments look very appealing!)  I have an October 2020 QE voyage booked (Japan) which I may cancel and move my deposit to a segment of a world cruise.  With all the positive responses for doing a segment, I'll while away pleasant hours pondering!

Queenvee:

I'm booked on the QE sailing that gets the ship to Japan (Vancouver to Yokohama, Sept. 8-28, 2020), and, like you, I may cancel it (or wait for Cunard to cancel it) and then do either a QE or QV segment in 2022 (I'm booked pretty solid for 2021, mainly on HAL). The consensus on this thread seems to be that on Cunard (as opposed to HAL and possibly Crystal) the "complete" WC guests mingle just fine with the segment guests. Good luck with your fantasies!

Jim 

jimdee3636,

Thank you for for your question and thank you all for your reassuring answers. My wife and I are booked on this segment in 2021(fingers crossed). It will be our first time on the Queen Victoria and the second leg of our dream to eventually sail around the world doing one segment each year. 

Jack

• Like 2

We were on a segment of HAL's world cruise last year (Ft. Lauderdale to Sydney).  No difference in service that I could tell (we  received the pillow gifts on formal nights), but it seemed like fellow passengers that we met weren't interested in future conversations once they found out we were departing in Sydney - or maybe I was just being overly sensitive. That said,  we weren't deterred and were booked on QVs segment from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton in March (cancelled).  We're considering segments on HAL and Cunard in the next year or two. 

Some years back when Queen Victoria was young, We did a NYC to Los Angeles segment of the world cruise. It was very enjoyable as it was my first Panama Canal transit.  I am hoping to to a west to east voyage on Cunard in the next couple of years. We boarded in NYC and some passengers had started in Southampton. We mixed and mingled with ease. 

• Like 1

I have been on several segments, with no great fuss.

I know my place.

Actually, the only interesting bit was in a laundry on QM2 (24 night segment). A lady there was telling me she was on her 20th world cruise and it was not like the old days.  All these people getting on and off all the time made it feel like a ferry service.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2020 at 9:27 PM, Docker123 said:

I have been on several segments, with no great fuss.

I know my place.

Actually, the only interesting bit was in a laundry on QM2 (24 night segment). A lady there was telling me she was on her 20th world cruise and it was not like the old days.  All these people getting on and off all the time made it feel like a ferry service.

Fascinating that a 'world cruiser' felt the need to visit the laundry especially with all that On Board Credit they lavish on them.

However, it's a good job your 'lady' doesn't sail with MSC. I recently completed a 14 night Caribbean cruise with them and, not including our embarkation and disembarkation ports (Barbados) they did 5 passenger change days. 

To be fair to them, we'd never have noticed had we not spotted the onboard screen notices detailing disembarkation codes and times...

1377758631_Disembarkationschedule1.jpg.6822727ffdef68a13f4a81ec49db0384.jpg

On 4/13/2020 at 4:22 PM, jimdee3636 said:

Besides the Winter Garden Concierge, reserved for full World Cruisers, there are also Gala Nights with Officer's in the Queen's Room for full World Cruisers which includes an extraordinary buffet and drinks; one each segment. Also there is a Special Dinner in one of the ports; generally quite well done with entertainment and lovely cuisine.

Another comment; on our last World Cruise on the Victoria, 2019, there were over 800 guests who were on for the entire World Cruise. We all knew each other, had planned many activities and excursions, privately, together. 

Otherwise, I don't think that being on for a segment or two, would make any difference in the overall cruise experience.

• Like 1