Are we the only one who hasn't received refund?

We were set to sail on a cruise on OAS on March 29th.  We had successfully won a RoyalUp bid in February and had purchased unlimited dining.  We did not cancel.  We waited for RCCL to cancel the cruise.  Our TA has been laid off, furloughed, or something (after 10 years, he is no longer with the company).  We read the options and we understood if we did not contact RCCL, we would get a refund for Royalup, refund for dining and a 125% FCC for our cruise fare and we could decide anytime between now and December 31, 2020 to convert the FCC to a refund.     We decided to let the refund play itself out, opting for the default position of a 125% FCC.  We did not call RCCL or sign any forms on the web site. 

-Our refund for the dining plan posted to our credit card on March 2nd.  

-Our refund for the RoyalUp bid posted to our credit card on April 20th

-Interestingly, the full amount of our cruse fare was refunded to our credit card on April 25th

I am not sure why we got the refund for the cruise instead of the FCC, which we thought was the default, but there you go.  No complaints either way.

Edited by crkdad
  • Like 2

So here is where we stand.....

May 3rd Oasis of the Seas

We had to wait until the second round of announcements on March 24th to request the refund.  As soon as RCCL announced the extended cancellations on Facebook, I immediately called RCCL directly to cancel.  Had not received the email yet where you could fill out the form.  Was told on that phone call it would be 7-10 days for the refund.

April 18th, we received our cruise documents via email.  This prompted me to login into RCCL website and noticed that the sailing was still showing under my upcoming cruises.  Confused, I immediately called RCCL to verify if our cancellation request had even been processed.  It took a lot of back and forth between the agent and her supervisor to verify it.  At first, she believed that we had called before RCCL made it official and we were within the penalty phase.  But ultimately after that call, she noted that the request to cancel was still on file and that now it could take up to 60 days to get a refund.

After getting off the phone, I went to RCCL email where they offered requesting the refund via a form.  I submitted the form, but I received a pop up informing me that my reservation had already received a cancelation request.

To date....the cruise is still showing in our profile as an upcoming cruise and I am still receiving emails as if this cruise is sailing.

Anyone else having similar issues?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gone_cruisin said:

Maybe I am off, but from what I am reading, it appears those that are cancelling on their own and are not within penalty are getting their refunds before those who RCCL canceled their cruises?

Way too variable to see any pattern yet on cruise fare refunds.

Edited by Biker19

48 minutes ago, gone_cruisin said:

Maybe I am off, but from what I am reading, it appears those that are cancelling on their own and are not within penalty are getting their refunds before those who RCCL canceled their cruises?

Both of ours were for cruises cancelled by Royal, and we then requested the refund option.  Received cruise planner refunds, but not cruise fare for the cruise cancelled under round 1.  Received cruise fare refund, but not cruise planner refund for cruise cancelled in round 2. 

We will see what the next few weeks bring. 

• Like 1

Just an FYI. We cancelled our October Mariner cruise on 3/30 that we had paid in full before the final payment date, and received our refund yesterday. The refund included our cruise planner purchases also.

• Like 1

Turns out I missed one of many emails that have gone back and forth with my TA. She did receive FCC voucher numbers, but was told that taxes will be placed back on my credit card. So now at least I know it'll be FCC instead of refund. The amount of the two vouchers (not sure why it was split up that way - also no idea how the amounts were arrived at as of yet) matches the total paid on my invoice for the 3/19/20 cruise. She also mentions that it does not equal 125% but that "there is no penalty" (should there have been?). Bummer losing all the OBC that we had for the cruise. A good part of it was applied to shore excursions. Guess none of that is refunded in the event of a cancellation? Suppose I waited for RCL to cancel the cruise - would that have made a difference? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, gone_cruisin said:

It appears to me if they can offer the FCC they will handle those first before having to lay out money for those wanting a refund. My TA called in 2 weeks ago to check on them and I did get two excursions refunded soon after but that is it, Nothing from what either I paid or the daughter on the cruise itself. 

I cancelled our cruise for June on March 13th. Wanted to check it had been cancelled as I didn’t receive and confirmation. Emailed RC who replied that it hadn’t been processed until 25th March. Received some of my deposit on Thursday of this week. Just awaiting the rest of my FCC

2 hours ago, gone_cruisin said:

agreed. We were on the canceled April 5th freedom sailing and submitted out cancelation March 17. It’s mind boggling and frustrating seeing people who requested refunds later and for later sailing dates getting refunded when they can’t give me any information whatsoever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gone_cruisin said:

I was thinking the same thing. It seems like I’m reading about a lot more refunds from those of us who cancelled ourselves than I’m seeing from people who were on cancelled sailings. Who knows though. We just started hearing about an influx of refunds 2 days ago, so it’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.

It seems like a lot of people are taking the FCC which might be why we haven’t heard as much about refunds for cancelled sailings. But maybe I’m just noticing those more because I’m surprised so many people are going that route instead of the cash route, so maybe I’m biased in what I notice. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

5 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I was thinking the same thing. It seems like I’m reading about a lot more refunds from those of us who cancelled ourselves than I’m seeing from people who were on cancelled sailings. Who knows though. We just started hearing about an influx of refunds 2 days ago, so it’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.

It seems like a lot of people are taking the FCC which might be why we haven’t heard as much about refunds for cancelled sailings. But maybe I’m just noticing those more because I’m surprised so many people are going that route instead of the cash route, so maybe I’m biased in what I notice. 

Royal cancelled our cruise after embarkation.   They then sent an email with options, cash refund or FCC, with a link to choose.   I have a TA but did the refund request myself online on 3/26 and funds fit cc in less than 30 days.  Not sure how this fits.

Refund posted to my CC!   My TA requested the refund on March 27th.  This was for the Empress May 25 sailing that had just been changed from Canada/New England to Bermuda (has since canceled all together) and a full refund was one of the options.  I hope this means many more are receiving refunds this weekend!

My TransAtlantic cruise on the Vision of the Seas scheduled for departure April 25th, was canceled by RCL back on March 23rd. I am still awaiting a refund from RCL for that sailing as I opted for the cash refund by clicking on the form. I hope it comes pretty soon. 

My more compelling issue right now is waiting for Norwegian Airlines to refund my Transatlantic airfare back home from Spain to Ft Lauderdale. They canceled my flight home. I immediately sent in my request for refund from Norwegian Air. My understanding is that they had 10 days to process the refund if paid by a credit card and 20 days to process if paid by a debit card. Needless to say, I still have not received my refund fro9m them. I called them yesterday and they gave me a song and a dance that they cant process ANY refunds until at least the middle of May because they are working from home and cant do refunds from home. What a crock. I will probably NEVER EVER book a flight on Norwegian Airlines. Lesson Learned.

• Like 2

I just received a refund for one of the three cruises that I had cancelled.  I had cancelled the March one due to RCL cancellation, the May and June due to Canada port closures until July 1.  The refund I got back was for the Taxes, Fees and Port charges for the June cruise.  Not sure how the June one came first.  I had cancelled the March one as soon as RCL announced the cancellation.  The May and June ones got cancelled a couple of weeks later.  At least there is a sign of some cash coming back to the cruisers.

6 hours ago, PigsCanFly said:

I just received a refund for one of the three cruises that I had cancelled.  I had cancelled the March one due to RCL cancellation, the May and June due to Canada port closures until July 1.  The refund I got back was for the Taxes, Fees and Port charges for the June cruise.  Not sure how the June one came first.  I had cancelled the March one as soon as RCL announced the cancellation.  The May and June ones got cancelled a couple of weeks later.  At least there is a sign of some cash coming back to the cruisers.

Correction.  I just discovered (via a bank statement) that The May cruise was refunded as well as the June cruise.  The May refund came in a week earlier.  So I am only eagerly waiting for the March refund that was RCL inspired.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, backsbanny said:

I just received full refund today for sailing of symphony 04/25.I submitted the cash refund option on 24 March, the date that the sailing was cancelled by RCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the same sailing and I requested a refund on 25 March.  I received an email last week saying that they were refunding our excursions and internet package back to my credit card. That is it so far for us but it is good to see that they have started refunding this sailing.

I logged in here to see if others were having refund timing issues.  Just reading through various threads, the answer is clear.  I didn't cancel until April 17th so it looks like I have a wait in front of me.  

I am saddened to read post after post of cancellations.  I understand it may be frustrating to wait for my refund but looking at this thread alone (and there are others), can you image the nightmare at the RCCL offices?

• Like 2

NO REFUNDS OF AIR OR FULLY PAID CRUISE YET - 4 cancelled by Royal. 

QUESTION: 

If I have booked a cruise with a deposit only, "non refundable from the old days", can I cancel that 2020 cruise and expect to get that deposit back (some time) or do I have to pay in full and THEN cancel and ...WAIT for the whole thng to come back 

Just now, Sirlancelot said:

If I have booked a cruise with a deposit only, "non refundable from the old days", can I cancel that 2020 cruise and expect to get that deposit back (some time) or do I have to pay in full and THEN cancel and ...WAIT for the whole thing to come back 

The latter and wait till the cruiseline cancels, you don't cancel.