Credit Card Dispute

ctsharpie05

58 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Not with proper communication.

Actually the carnival staff can only do so much in 8 hour shift. If they have to spend time on disputes, it's less time doing something else. Rcl cut down on staff, which means even less man hours to process cancelled cruises and handle disputes.

As far as opening a dispute so you dont have it on your statement. We always had our share of what we call chronic disputers who constantly disputed, just to buy time. Every dispute lowers your score with the credit card company,... ie what you are worth go down. And yes every card member has a score. Someone who spends 10k a month is apt to get something written off to make them happy than someone who spends 1k. Dont bother threatening to cancel your card. We hear it every day and got immune  ... picture eye roll. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 9:53 AM, bahacca said:

Ugh! These disputes are going to hold up refunds for other people! Carnival will not approve any of these! If they approve these, they risk double refunding people.

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Not with proper communication.

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually the carnival staff can only do so much in 8 hour shift. If they have to spend time on disputes, it's less time doing something else. Rcl cut down on staff, which means even less man hours to process cancelled cruises and handle disputes.

As far as opening a dispute so you dont have it on your statement. We always had our share of what we call chronic disputers who constantly disputed, just to buy time. Every dispute lowers your score with the credit card company,... ie what you are worth go down. And yes every card member has a score. Someone who spends 10k a month is apt to get something written off to make them happy than someone who spends 1k. Dont bother threatening to cancel your card. We hear it every day and got immune  ... picture eye roll. 

My comment was in regards to double refunding people. If there is proper communication and comments on the booking, there shouldn’t be any double refunds being issued.

I personally don’t think these charges should be disputed as they will simply inform the credit card company that it is being processed and the guest is aware of the estimated processing time.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 3:05 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Glad you got your refund, your credit came actually sooner than they predicted.  All sounds reasonable to be during these trying times.  You of course can sail or not with whomever you want. Happy cruising

He didn't get a refund from Carnival..He got it as a credit from his CC....

On 4/15/2020 at 9:53 AM, bahacca said:

Ugh! These disputes are going to hold up refunds for other people! Carnival will not approve any of these! If they approve these, they risk double refunding people.

I dunno about that but I was told by a TA friend of mine that Carnival can only process a certain amount of refunds per day. I am in the same boat as the OP's friend. I rescheduled my cruise and had about $500 of excursions, in room gifts etc. However I did get an email that said to expect a refund in 5-7 business days...since I canceled on March 14th and still no refund that never happened. I called Carnival afew days ago for another reason and I asked about this and the lady on the phone told me that ALL refunds no matter what they are for can take up to 90 days. The email that I got was just a standard issue email they sent out before the world went to crap. I was told that if I did not get a refund by day 91 to call back. 

On 4/15/2020 at 3:55 PM, 1025cruise said:

Worst case scenario, Carnival blocks your friend from cruising.

This is exactly what I thougt lol. I would better wait and hope for a quick refund. If it did not happen in the designated time frame, I would call the office. If there is no answer from them, then I will look for a lawyer to help me file a case against them and get my money somehow. In any case, I wouldnt rush. I mean people must understand that in the current situation all the processes take forever. We just need to be more patient

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

This is exactly what I thougt lol. I would better wait and hope for a quick refund. If it did not happen in the designated time frame, I would call the office. If there is no answer from them, then I will look for a lawyer to help me file a case against them and get my money somehow. In any case, I wouldnt rush. I mean people must understand that in the current situation all the processes take forever. We just need to be more patient

Ive seen multiple reports about Carnival banning people from cruise for disputing charges for entire cruises...not sure if doing it just for excursions and stuff would be enough to get banned but yeah def best just to be patient. 

There is no way any cruise line will ban anyone for a credit card dispute in these Covid19 times. Besides, the credit card company is actually making the refund until the cruise line refunds back to the credit card company. All cruise lines will be begging for people to book cruises in the near future when they are allowed again in the US. In most cases they had customers full payment 70 days in advance of a 7 day sailing for Carnival to use as they saw fit. Now that they need to pay it back, they want you to wait 90 days. This has to be a cash flow issue with Carnival. I can imagine sending millions of dollars out all at once would kill the bottom line. But the US government is doing it as I type this. This is not an agent issue. All of these things are computerized today. But if you are the finance guy at these cruise lines, your head has to be spinning.

• 2 months later...

I recently had a cruise cancelled by Carnival as well.  I have a Carnival MasterCard for use specifically with Carnival to make points. I never carry a balance so not used for Credit.  I just pass charges through to earn points.   

I had paid for Transfer fees from and to the Airport for  a recent cruise.  In this case, when Carnival Cancelled, I did receive Refunds for everything except the transfer fees.  I contacted Carnival and spent a couple hours between 5 different people who kept telling me I did not pay for Transfer fees because they could not see it.  Once the Cruise is cancelled, the booking number disappears.  They stated I would not be refunded the amount even though I had proof of purchase.  

In this case, it is valid that I filed a dispute with Barclay Carnival MasterCard.  I received a temporary Credit from Barclay and a letter in the mail stating they were investigating.  7 days later, Carnival did decide to refund my nonexistent Transfer Fees..

Now, here is the kicker. When you file a dispute on a Carnival Charge, they do block your card.  I attempted to pay the balance of 448.00 for a new cruise I booked with my Carnival M/C.  I will not use another card for payment with them.  They declined payment. When I called, another 3 hours and 4 people, I was told that since I disputed the charge, they block that card and I cannot use it again.  Well, if I cannot use it again, I will not be going on any more Carnival Cruises.  

It does happen - there are repercussions and No,  the dispute wasn't due to my impatience.  It was due to their Denial.  It was my money, not theirs

I disputed my credit card charge of $17k with Citibank as Carnival charged my card for final payment the day they cancelled the cruise.   Citibank credited my account while they investigated.  Took Carnival over 10 weeks to respond.   Now attempting to get my deposit back.