No Sailing from NOLA until August?

slavens_09

Hey all, I was looking through the Carnival website and noticed something new. As of today you are no longer able to book anything out of New Orleans until August. I thought that they were mentioning things getting better down in New Orleans? Could New Orleans be the next port to be canceled for the rest of 2020? 

Edited by slavens_09
Spelling error

I kinda feel like I'm getting screwed.   I'm currently on the Glory sailing out of NO on June 28th!!!   I don't for a second believe we are going to be a go.   But they left me hanging out there!!!   In the meantime all the all the cabins are being gobbled up by cruisers originally sailing in June of 2021, and now all these new ones from those being cancelled now and having to rebook next year!!!

Just worried that by the time they cancel me, I'll be disappointed with the cabins left

42 minutes ago, slavens_09 said:

Hey all, I was looking through the Carnival website and noticed something new. As of today you are no longer able to book anything out of New Orleans until August. I thought that they were mentioning things getting better down in New Orleans? Could New Orleans be the next port to be canceled for the rest of 2020? 

Fact of the matter is that New Orleans is a hot spot, cruising will not commence till that subsides.  Despite claims to the contrary, their are absolutely no ties to cruising and vaccine.  

46 minutes ago, slavens_09 said:

46 minutes ago, slavens_09 said:

Well things being better in New Orleans still leaves a lot to be desired. The mayor did cancel any big events for the remainder of 2020.  Jazz festival is a no go. Even with the cases decreasing every day it will be forever before it all stops. Since about half the cases and deaths in the state come from orleans and Jefferson parish (New Orleans and closest parish) it will take some time. Also people cruising out of New Orleans needs a place to stay so hotels.taxi’s, restaurants all need to be up and running. I would think after the nightmare they have had going on the city wants to handle with caution.

I don’t know if this is related. But this is came from the mayor yesterday.

"My recommendation is absolutely no large events such as French Quarter Fest and Jazz Fest, even Essence Festival, as it relates to the year 2020," Cantrell said. "The focus should shift to 2021."

Cantrell said she has not talked to representatives of the NFL or NBA about how that might affect the Saints or Pelicans seasons, but said she expects the leagues and team owners are as concerned about the health and safety of players and fans as she is.

https://wwl.radio.com/articles/mayor-cantrell-no-large-events-in-new-orleans-until-2021

31 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

I kinda feel like I'm getting screwed.   I'm currently on the Glory sailing out of NO on June 28th!!!   I don't for a second believe we are going to be a go.   But they left me hanging out there!!!   In the meantime all the all the cabins are being gobbled up by cruisers originally sailing in June of 2021, and now all these new ones from those being cancelled now and having to rebook next year!!!

Just worried that by the time they cancel me, I'll be disappointed with the cabins left

If I were you. I would go ahead and put a deposit down on the cruise and cabin you are wanting. With the latest round of cancellations through June 27th. They made anyone how had canceled themselves before carnival did eligible for the same offer we got for carnival canceling. Anyone who canceled on their own March 6th through when they canceled earlier this week go the same offer.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, slavens_09 said:

If I were you. I would go ahead and put a deposit down on the cruise and cabin you are wanting. With the latest round of cancellations through June 27th. They made anyone how had canceled themselves before carnival did eligible for the same offer we got for carnival canceling. Anyone who canceled on their own March 6th through when they canceled earlier this week go the same offer.

Excellent idea!!!   TYVM

Cancelling festivals is to keep outsiders from bringing disease to the city, as happened at Mardi Gras, and less about locals spreading among themselves. Cruisers might stay a night or two, but it won't be the same as thousands gathering in one place.

If cruisers were a problem, the same argument would apply to all port cities.

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Cancelling festivals is to keep outsiders from bringing disease to the city, as happened at Mardi Gras, and less about locals spreading among themselves. Cruisers might stay a night or two, but it won't be the same as thousands gathering in one place.

If cruisers were a problem, the same argument would apply to all port cities.

It is thousands gathering in one place..on a cruise ship...then going to other countries..then coming back and being released into the city. I think there's a chance it's an issue. New Orleans is one of the hot spots right now. I think It's going to take a little longer than some of the other cities. The convention center right by the cruise port is a hospital right now.

56 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

It is thousands gathering in one place..on a cruise ship...then going to other countries..then coming back and being released into the city. I think there's a chance it's an issue. New Orleans is one of the hot spots right now. I think It's going to take a little longer than some of the other cities. The convention center right by the cruise port is a hospital right now.

Could be. A couple of cities have hospital ships. No doubt Louisiana is a hot spot, but that should be close to peak and then start to decline. As soon as New Orleans drops, some other places will likely become hot spots - maybe Galveston?

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Could be. A couple of cities have hospital ships. No doubt Louisiana is a hot spot, but that should be close to peak and then start to decline. As soon as New Orleans drops, some other places will likely become hot spots - maybe Galveston?

I feel better about cruises from Galveston because it isn't in the city.

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The two hospital ships were/are basically unused, logistics probably the reason.  My guess is Texan cities are WAY more likely to have issues than a fairly remote area like Galveston.