Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

42 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I saw Michael Portillo sampling that last night on Great Canadian Train Journeys . He did not seem very impressed by it, trying hard to be polite in his distaste. I think it was called poutine.

I have had it, and yes, not to my taste either, and I eat just about anything and everything. Mind you I am not a fan of Chips in gravy anyway.

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Pub grub would be things like Mr. Gut's "dogs eyes"

I'm sorry and I must be really thick but I've no idea what 'dogs eyes' might be.  Can anybody enlighten me please?

11 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

I'm sorry and I must be really thick but I've no idea what 'dogs eyes' might be.  Can anybody enlighten me please?

Pies Bubbeh. 

Edited by possum52
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

A "meat surprise" in my day. The surprise was if there was any meat actually in it.

• Thanks 1

Itinerary Item 14 – Hobart, Tasmania

Well, we made it across the Tasman Sea again without any drama and are now docked in Hobart.

I know we have some Tasmania experts on this cruise so I hope they will provide lots of good ideas of what to do around Hobart.

My highlight is to go up Mt Wellington. I think it’s the only place in Australia where you can go from sea level to alpine conditions in a 30 minute drive, plus the views are gorgeous. Wear something warm though as it can be 10C or more colder up there than in the city.

Moma, the Museum of Modern Art, is also worth a visit. Go there by ferry – the boat itself is a work of art.

Our next port of call is Port Arthur, Tasmania.

If you’ve just joined us, please read the first post which contains the rules for this thread. Note this is a luxury all inclusive ship - all drinks, restaurants, internet, excursions, spa, beauty salon.

I just threw the poutine out there for a joke, it is rather polarizing and indeed there are many different varieties. Some better than others. I also like chips with mayonnaise, or chips with malt vinegar and salt or even ketchup. 

Looking forward to Tasmania, my High School's mascot was the Loony Tunes "Tasmanian Devil" it would be cool to see a real one. I know there is absolutely no resemblance between the real critter and the cartoon.  

If I is a Saturday Mrs Gut will want Salamanca, otherwise if it is your first visit just wander around the Salamanca area and city, the Gardens, Govt house etc.

or Hire a car and head off either down South, Don’t miss the Air Walk and keep an eye out for some lovely stalls, roadside selling fresh picked apples, and cherries. Or up through Richmond a lovely historical Town to Ross and the Female Factory.

I assume we are sailing to Port Arthur, otherwise we may need to head there.

Maybe a feed or an Ice Cream at Muirs on the Dock.

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I would like an extra day so I can go across to Bruny Island for one of the days and be assured I can get back to the ship.

Yep with two days I may head to Bruny too.

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

How long are we in port? can we overnight?

Yes, we can.

Why Bruny Island?

And, yes, Port Arthur is our next stop.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I just threw the poutine out there for a joke, it is rather polarizing and indeed there are many different varieties

When we were in Canada a couple of years ago, Mr Bubbeh fell in deep love with poutine.  So much so, that the only meal he without a side of poutine was breakfast and even then he was tempted.  Personally, my first experience has provided me with a lifetime of memories, which is good as I choose not to have a repeat performance.  😝

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I would like an extra day so I can go across to Bruny Island for one of the days and be assured I can get back to the ship.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep with two days I may head to Bruny too.

Room in the boat for another couple?

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Itinerary Item 14 – Hobart, Tasmania

Spent about 10 days in Hobart not too long ago and did all the usual historical touristy things, including the Female Factory and a brilliant Historical Pub Crawl walking tour amongst many others.  The one thing we missed and I am determined to do again at our next visit, was to eat fish and chips from the sort of caravan boat thing alongside the wharf.  I've been saving calories since our cruise began in anticipation.  🐟 🍟

WWe decided to take a car out to see the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary.  It was about half an hour outside Hobart.  We were able to see koalas, Tasmanian devils, kangaroos and wombats.  A lot of the animals were able to wander freely.  We fed the kangaroos and were shown around by a very nice guide.  The sanctuary rehabilitates animals back into the wild.

After the Sanctuary we went to see Richmond, a lovely Georgian village, where we wandered round the beautifully preserved buildings.  We saw Australia's oldest bridge, church and jail.

A great day out.  We got back to the ship and took a quick nap!

32DB77BA-3DE0-4A5B-80B9-3B020BA0A0E7.jpeg

C2AEF7EC-6C3E-4F66-B2AE-C420BE26FC72.jpeg

6EA53038-BDC9-4E8F-98D6-4214D3DCEBB4.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Room in the boat for another couple?

There is a ferry across to Bruny Island, such a beautiful place to visit.

After picking up a hire car, we'll be heading to Bruny too, after a detour to visit my niece and her family at Howrah. We haven't been to the Female Factory so maybe tomorrow we'll go there before driving up to Richmond and a small detour to Geilston Bay to visit my sister and brother in law. We love Richmond, although a few years since we've been there. We always visit the lolly shop, I hope it is still there.

2 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Spent about 10 days in Hobart not too long ago and did all the usual historical touristy things, including the Female Factory and a brilliant Historical Pub Crawl walking tour amongst many others.  The one thing we missed and I am determined to do again at our next visit, was to eat fish and chips from the sort of caravan boat thing alongside the wharf.  I've been saving calories since our cruise began in anticipation.  🐟 🍟

To die for.

• Like 1