How will they clean the ships?

MudderBear

Hello.  Hate to ask this question, but will they fumigate the ships after they are all brought into their ports?  In particular, ships like the Coral Princess, etc.   Not only for germs but some of these ships have had unusual wear and tear during the times they were in quarentine.  Just wondering??

They don't need to do anything special for Covid19, as long as there have been no active cases or "carriers" on the ship for an extended period of time. Current thinking is a 1 week life span for the virus (depending on the surface). It will be months before the ships start carrying passengers.

By the time the ships are put back into service, the only cleaning necessary is the standard routine. The "unusual wear & tear" will almost certainly be corrected. They're going to have lots of down time to do refurb. where needed.

Interesting how things change.  Princess hired an outside company to "clean" the Diamond and dispose of all towels, linens, and mattresses.  For the Grand, Ruby, Coral, etc. I agree with JF above, I would not expect much; perhaps "spraying/fogging" for PR purposes.  And who knows by time the industry resumes; may be a while!

At this time, some of the ships with their crews, are anchored off the Bahamas. There is no news of new crew cases of the virus on the ships in weeks. The crews are healthy and safer out at sea than they would be on land. The virus, if still present on these ships, would make itself known for sure.

The ships will be free of the virus long before the ships go back into service.

I guess the reason why I asked is that I am on the Coral next year.  I believe it was last refurbished in 2017.  From pictures I've seen, (not Covid related)....the rooms look very tired and worn. I was scheduled to be on HAL's Noordam this year, and people's photos reflected a ship that looked spiffy......again, not Covid related).

1 hour ago, Mom33 said:

At this time, some of the ships with their crews, are anchored off the Bahamas. There is no news of new crew cases of the virus on the ships in weeks. The crews are healthy and safer out at sea than they would be on land. The virus, if still present on these ships, would make itself known for sure.

The ships will be free of the virus long before the ships go back into service.

True ... but... Coral is in the Port Eveglades anchorage, and it does have COVID-19 cases on board.

(it was in Port Everglades today, for provisions)

Ruby is alongside in Port Kembla (near Sydney) Australia, and has 140+ COVID-19 cases among crew still on board.

Grand had many cases, but as far as I know, has none now.

I'm sure there is no scientific basis, but it creeps me out to think about using a strange

pillow, knowing that an infected individual might have used it last.

I'm not convinced that all the softgoods in a cabin can be sanitized; especially between cruises...

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1

Time...

They aren't going to be able to restart cruising until there are no more cases on board. The virus lives up to 72 hours (or whatever further research proves it to be) on hard surfaces. Let enough time go bye and poof.

There was research done on Diamond Princess that found traces (not live virus but RNA fragments) when they tested 17 days after people left the ship. Replacing the soft goods and the ordinary deep clean they're hiring out will take care of that.

Well, I was thinking that if a person is quarantined, they are in the room 24/7.  In normal times, they sleep, bath and dress in the room, plus hang out once in a while, but are OUT of the room for x amount of hours.  Maybe I am a germaphobe, but I think all of the bedding/blankets/pillows and carpeting should be replaced.  Just a thought......

On ships that had or have cases of COVID-19 onboard, all of the soft goods are being either replaced or washed in super hot water. Affected cabins will be thoroughly disinfected. 

On the Diamond, even before it was disinfected, they found traces of virus on the ship and the media reported that. What the media didn’t report is that the traces weren’t active. They were dead. 

This is from the New England Journal of Medicine:

0D73719D-1C2F-4C2C-9599-A73580991F19.jpeg

• Like 2

I would not be surprised to see a day between passengers from one cruise departing and others being allowed to board to allow time for additional and deeper cleaning between sailings, at least initially. I can’t see new passengers boarding by 11:00 am after others just left the ship as we have seen in the past. The typical 7 day weekend departure cruises may change to 6 day itineraries for a while to allow a full day for cleaning. Sat - Fri and Sun - Sat

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

On ships that had or have cases of COVID-19 onboard, all of the soft goods are being either replaced or washed in super hot water. Affected cabins will be thoroughly disinfected. 

On the Diamond, even before it was disinfected, they found traces of virus on the ship and the media reported that. What the media didn’t report is that the traces weren’t active. They were dead. 

This is from the New England Journal of Medicine:

Note: I took the chart out to save room.

Great chart. Thanks Pam!!