NYC cancels all non-essential May and June events

shof515

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio canceled all non-essential events for May and June for these types of events: Parades,Concerts,Rallies,Large gatherings. I wonder how this will effect Norwegian from sailings ships out of NYC for May and June. On the ncl website, they are still offering cruises out of NYC for these months.

Edited by shof515

4 minutes ago, shof515 said:

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio canceled all non-essential events for May and June for these types of events: Parades,Concerts,Rallies,Large gatherings. I wonder how will effect Norwegian from sailings ships out of NYC for May and June. On the ncl website, they are still offering cruises out of NYC for these months.

Simple, those cruises are not happening.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Simple, those cruises are not happening.

Bingo! I can easily see this going into the fall

4500 getting off a ship and 4500 new people getting on.......No way in hell that's going to happen anytime soon. Anyone who has taken a cruise knows just how congested a cruise terminal can be

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

Bingo! I can easily see this going into the fall

I agree with you on the timeline. I briefly chatted with an employee on a NCL ship, not going to discuss any details. The person is on a ship right now. They are from Europe, awaiting to be released to go home. In this person's opinion once it has been determined what the steps and protocols need to happen on each ship the remaining crew would then go about making those changes. Which by that statement means NOTHING has been agreed upon and nothing new has been done on the ships to prepare for cruises to restart. This person thinks that cruises won't start until September.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Well NCL execs will just have to "interpret" the ruling properly so we can sail in June, hopefully May

The NCL execs can interpret it all they want. If the city has ban and their are no dock workers or customs people its not going to happen

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Well NCL execs will just have to "interpret" the ruling properly so we can sail in June, hopefully May

most likely they wont interpret this until middle of may when they make a new announcement that cruises will be canceled for the rest of may and june. it seems strange how Norwegian is like the last cruise line to official cancel  NYC cruises for both May and June

Edited by shof515

People refuse to believe that once cruises start sailing things will be different. But what those differences will be hasn't been agreed upon. Obviously senior management is making those decisions and negotiations right now. Once it has been agreed upon what needs to take place, it doesn't just happen at a snap of your fingers. All the new rules and regulations have to be written up and communicated TO EACH SHIP. Then it has to be communicated to ALL THE EMPLOYEES.  Furthermore new supplies such as masks and gloves will have to be ordered and sent to EACH ship. Each ship currently doesn't have the complement of employees to run a cruise with passengers. That takes time also. All these things TAKE TIME.

• Like 2

The only ships sailing in NYC these days are commuter ferries, cargo vessels and government ones, aside from small private boats out of small marinas with restrictions & guidelines put in place.   Norwegian and its senior management can dream on and maintain their silence as they always do. 

Imagine what it might take to maintain infection control inside Pier 88, MCT and maintaining social distancing, even if everyone is required to wear a mask at all times.  Not going to happen, period. 

Besides, keep in mind that we still have plenty of untested healthcare personnel infected (hidden) with the virus and nursing home death with Covid-19.  One-third of the nearly 20,000 that died of the virus in the State of NY are now believed to from nursing homes and long-term care & veterans residence, etc. 

Carnival announced that they have now decided, following Royal's footsteps, to use quite a few ships strategically to send their crews home to various countries instead of trying to work out charter flights, navigate various country's restrictions and mandatory quarantined even for transit passengers (on connecting flights) - by the end of the month.  There is no way that cruises will be resuming anytime soon. 

Just because NY now appeared to have this pandemic under control with a high plateau does not mean that the country and the NY region's crisis if over, far from it.  Other countries are now seeing a spike again with some getting re-infected and findings from the antibody testing aren't very helpful.  Feel free to disagree, dream on, for your own convenience.  

As a side note for out-of-towners, many NYC hotels - especially in Manhattan are currently blocked and unavailable - all of them will likely need to go thru a deep disinfection and cleaning.  

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-deaths-at-manhattan-hotel/

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

My feeling is once we see /entertainment/ crew being called back to the ships, then we can expect sailings to resume within probably 60-90 days.  

I am FB friends with a Carnival entertainer and a personal friend of an RCI entertainer - their contracts are canceled or on hold, and they have heard nothing about reporting back to their ships.

It's not happening anytime soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

My feeling is once we see /entertainment/ crew being called back to the ships, then we can expect sailings to resume within probably 60-90 days.  

I am FB friends with a Carnival entertainer and a personal friend of an RCI entertainer - their contracts are canceled or on hold, and they have heard nothing about reporting back to their ships.

It's not happening anytime soon.

Exactly. People seem to think cruises will start at a snap of the finger. There are SO many moving parts and these parts have been stopped dead cold. 

IF the cruiseline industry can come to an agreement with CDC and other government officials as to what needs to be done for cruises to start up safely by the end of May that puts POSSIBLE startup of cruises somewhere end of August September at the earliest.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

What about the Queen Mary out of Brooklyn?

QM isn't NCL and that's Cunard - just don't think there are any T/A crossing anytime soon either and only if the UK government on the other side of the pond is ready and prepared to allow ships to sail & dock, etc.  I bet, not happening in June or even July 2020 for that matter.  

Red Hook's cruise ship terminal was designated to be converted by FEMA into another surge field hospital earlier, I don't think it is up & operational, probably on hold.  I know that nearby, the Tennis Center at Flushing Corona Park, not far from Elmhurst HMC is done and still being run as a field hospital.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Are the subways running? 

They are - talks of shutting it down entirely overnight for deep cleaning, from 11 pm to 5 am - otherwise, on reduced/modified schedule.  During peak hours when essential workers have to travel on them, they are packed and next to impossible to maintain social distancing, not even 3 ft. apart, nevermind 6 ft. apart - and, where wearing a mask is now mandatory & subject to being fined if caught without it on buses, trains & subways and even for-hired vehicles including taxi, car service & Uber/Lyft, etc. 

Of course, the city's infamous homeless population - unknown how many are infected due to limited testing capabilities - are now sheltering-in-place in the subway cars ... enjoy riding alongside with them.  One of my BIL works for NYC Dept of Health I.T. bureau tracking infectious disease and one of the niece works for a major medical center (non-frontline) and they 
only "ride-share" off-peak with them about once or twice a week lately - otherwise, tele-work from home.  Washy Washy & Happy Happy.  

Pro's tips - except for MTA's SBS bus routes, you can now ride city buses "free" as you can board without swiping your MetroCard for the fares due, until further notice.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio canceled all non-essential events for May and June for these types of events: Parades,Concerts,Rallies,Large gatherings. I wonder how this will effect Norwegian from sailings ships out of NYC for May and June. On the ncl website, they are still offering cruises out of NYC for these months.

It is not happening. The Government has shut down any ship in U.S. waters for 100 Days.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PortFees45 said:

What about the Queen Mary out of Brooklyn?

QM2 is now in Southampton.  Their TA has been cancelled. 

I bet port of NYC would block their disembark as well as any NCL, CCL or RCL cruise, right now. 

I'm not sure the TA on GA in Dec. (BCN > NYC) will even happen since none of the ships are in Europe now. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise

4 hours ago, shof515 said:

Since the CDC is not allowing cruises until mid July at the earliest I don't think that I would worry about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1