Perhaps The Fire Sale is Beginning

rallydave

Just got an email from my TA that Silverseas may have just started the fire sale.  Seems they are offering a $1,000 deposit plus $1,000 OBC per suite for all cruises and it is combinable with cruises booked using FFC's.

Let the fire sales begin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Dave are these for 2021 or late 2020 cruises or for cruises that are likely to be cancelled eventually?

Marc

All   see below

A $1,000 REDUCED DEPOSIT AND $1,000 ONBOARD SPENDING CREDIT FOR EVERY BOOKING UNTIL JUNE 30TH

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

especially for 2020 cruises that may be cancelled (and for which you need to pay the full fare in order to receive OBC's).

Not true except yes, many 2020 cruises will eventually be cancelled

40 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Not true except yes, many 2020 cruises will eventually be cancelled

Just realized that you are talking about Silversea.  Perhaps you started a thread on the wrong board?

Edited by Travelcat2

17 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Maybe you should read Regent's Reassurance policy!

For all voyages embarking on or before December 31, 2020, guests who have paid in full have the option to cancel up to 48 hours prior to departure date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit, which can be applied to any new 

None of what is quoted above applies to my posts on this thread.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Just realized that you are talking about Silversea.  Perhaps you started a thread on the wrong board?

No,   much discussion here on this board about future pricing and wasn't sure where to post this possible beginning of discounts  so started a new thread as it is pertinent here and have no interest in Silverseas or their board.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rallydave said:

No,   much discussion here on this board about future pricing and wasn't sure where to post this possible beginning of discounts  so started a new thread as it is pertinent here and have no interest in Silverseas or their board.

Here is the existing thread about future pricing 

Oceania was also mentioned on this thread.  

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Here is the existing thread about future pricing 

Oceania was also mentioned on this thread.  

Not the same subject and already a Oceania post on this thread about a reduction.  Believe this thread is fine on here and a good place to discuss future pricing in general.  The discussions over the weekend were on other mixed subject threads and this subject deserves its' own thread.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Okay - but still find it odd to see Silversea as the first post on a new thread (on the Regent board).  However, will go with the flow. This should help people check price drops:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3882

Thanks for the information . This answer my question for the thread I started earlier.

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

The best answer is that your TA should find it for you and present you with your savings without being asked.

Agree with you.  That is what our TA does.  Speaking for myself, I don’t find it useful to know what other cruise lines are doing.  This type of information was being shared when cruises were first cancelled.  All that it did was make Regent passengers become a bit frustrated with Regent when it “appeared” that other cruise lines were doing more than Regent does.   

In any case, CC is nice enough to give people a tool to look up this information for themselves.  It amazes me how some TA’s are not being proactive at this difficult time.  On another thread, the poster had to ask a question on CC because their TA was too busy and telephone wait times were too long.  Unfortunately, what they want to do has to be done by their TA.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

I believe that it is useful to know what other luxury cruise lines are doing, as long as it is put in perspective,  because it indicates what the supply and demand situation is at the time. Does it mean that Regent will follow? Who knows, it depends on their bookings and whether they need to add incentives. Time will tell. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pappy1022, I agree with you on all three threads that popped up unopened this morning!

Yes, I too follow SilverSea and Crystal, not in sailing but in policy. I would expect Regent to be watching them closely as well. Similar passenger demographics.

Also your point about wanting to sail when under extreme virus watchfulness jibes with mine. It doesn’t sound like a bushel of fun frankly. I too will wait a bit..

• Like 2

Never mind, unfortunately links are working and not allowed.  Sufficient to say more great deals are being announced so an indications that prices will be going down including Regent.

Edited by rallydave

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Never mind, unfortunately links are working and not allowed.  Sufficient to say more great deals are being announced so an indications that prices will be going down including Regent.

What are you referring to?  Links are working just fine.  Regent has already discounted prices on some "iffy" cruises.  However, it is unlikely that they will discount their most popular cruises.  And, IMHO, giving $1,000 OBC and a low deposit isn't really discounting a cruise.  It is putting in an incentive in place to entice cruisers.  This is something that Regent has done for years (plus extending cruises for passengers that are already booked for a really nice discount).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Sufficient to say more great deals are being announced so an indications that prices will be going down including Regent.

Just a couple of examples that perhaps endorse your comments. 

We currently have a booking with Regent in December 2020. Prior to the Coronovirus situation this cruise was heavily booked. Now, looking online and talking with our TA there is lots and lots of availability across every cabin category. 

I also today received communication from a competitor to Regent, via my TA, following my request to cancel a cruise. They gave a number of incentives to try and entice me to not cancelling, the final one being   We are open to look at any suggestions from you, or the guests.  In other words, name a deal that will stop you cancelling.  

None of us know how things are going to end. I for one have cancelled everything and will invest my 'hard earned' once I do know. 

Regent just recently discounted a number of trips by 20%......enough to generate a savings of $20K on 3 cabins for 8/28. That is a substantial sale. I wouldn't call any price reduction a fire sale...simply smart marketing. You incrementally reduce the fare until the ship is booked. After a certain % capacity, the additional cost per passenger is negligible anyway and is mostly profit.

Editing to add this....there is no right answer. Every client has a unique set of needs and a unique situation. Acting in accordance with these is "your" right answer.

Edited by Pcardad

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

This is something that Regent has done for years (plus extending cruises for passengers that are already booked for a really nice discount).  

If they extend a cruise, they don't have to include air.  I like to sail b2b itineraries, so this is one beef I have with Regent.  Clearly in that case, there should be a big discount for the air I am not using.  And the discount really should reflect the actual cost of the air and not the amount you get for waiving it, although I am somewhat doubtful that would be the case.  I have not been able to figure out how to comparison shop what the actual prices would be for different b2b itineraries other than the pre-packaged Grand Voyages.  I know, the answer is to ask my TA, but I really like to do a lot of independent research and to ask my TA about every one I am curious about would just be way too much imposition.

If anyone knows the formula for Regent's b2b discounts, I would love to hear it.  Also, if Regent only secretly offers these to those already booked, they will be missing out on a lot of sales opportunity to others who also might like to do that b2b but never hear about the discount because they did not book the single itinerary.

If you book B2B there is a discount on the air you are not using....I see it on every B2B invoice I book. There is not always a discount in the fare for a B2B. Quite often they are treated as 2 different trips on different invoices (with adjustment for air) especially if you change rooms on the different legs. 

This is most obvious on the WC where the sum of the individual legs is a lot more than the entire trip.

It was my impression that Regent offers incentives to those in cabins they have a deep waitlist for.