Italy and Spain: Reopen travel March 31, 2021

BermudaBound2014

I'm getting less and less convinced my trip next January is a go.  First we have Australia suggesting boarders close until next year and now Spain and Italy,  I can't tell if these sources are tried and true, but there seems to be quite a few reports today suggesting that Italy and Spain won't reopen for travel until March 31, 2021.  Not trying to panic anyone, but it's best to know what is being discussed to have a plan B ready.

image.png.b33de07ad6d981f0f2bc36cd95309ba1.png

https://viewfromthewing.com/italy-may-be-off-limits-for-travel-until-april-2021/

https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/2020/04/16/5e98b8d5ca4741bd688b45ab.html

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/spain-italy-europe-travel-bans-2020/

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm getting less and less convinced my trip next January is a go.  First we have Australia suggesting boarders close until next year and now Spain and Italy,  I can't tell if these sources are tried and true, but there seems to be quite a few reports today suggesting that Italy and Spain won't reopen for travel until March 31, 2021.  Not trying to panic anyone, but it's best to know what is being discussed to have a plan B ready.

image.png.b33de07ad6d981f0f2bc36cd95309ba1.png

https://viewfromthewing.com/italy-may-be-off-limits-for-travel-until-april-2021/

https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/2020/04/16/5e98b8d5ca4741bd688b45ab.html

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/spain-italy-europe-travel-bans-2020/

Not surprising at all.  I know it is hard for a pro cruising community to accept but common sense tells me cruising may be dead last in the priority order for countries to allow.

• Like 1

@Nymich no argument from me there. I've been preaching the cruise industry as the hardest hit for a long time. I genuinly don't understand people who think they are cruising this summer. I believe Canada extended it's border crossing today also. I was just surprised that both Italy and Spain floated out March 2021 as a target day already. Seems so long from now.

• Like 1

With the proposed timetable for a vaccine, it makes sense that 1 year from now would be the earliest Europe and Australia would allow cruising.  Projected date for vaccine is 12-18 months.

This is one time that I get to be the optimist :). I feel like we could start cruising before a vaccine as long as we have effective treatments. I am hopeful Treatments might not take a full 12-18 months. Crossing fingers.
  • Like 1

It is worth noting the speculation about March 2021 was based on nothing more than a theoretical timeline from a journalist.   The Italian government will publish proposals this week, but may not include a estimated date for things like tourism or cruising, and the actual date depends on what happens to the virus transmission rate after the initial easing of selected lock down steps.  The focus is on eradicating the virus before the next winter flu season.

I believe it is a certainty that any activity that cannot guarantee social distancing, and/or contact tracing is likely to be severely restricted through to the end of the year AT LEAST (either until the virus is all but eradicated by reducing the transmission rate or a vaccine is rolled-out). 

But I still think a cruise ship will be sailing in Europe in June, but perhaps with only 50% of the rooms occupied.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 8420PR said:

But I still think a cruise ship will be sailing in Europe in June, but perhaps with only 50% of the rooms occupied.

You think cruise ships will be sailing Europe in June of 2020? No judgment, I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is one time that I get to be the optimist :). I feel like we could start cruising before a vaccine as long as we have effective treatments. I am hopeful Treatments might not take a full 12-18 months. Crossing fingers.

Agree with this; if there is a verified treatment with a high success rate.  I'd add that a 'vaccine would be a side-car plus since, if a passenger became ill and tests positive for COVID 19, tracing, etc. will be a 'panic without others having immunity or vaccination and then there is the concerns that the ship will still be deemed too risky (by ports, by country).

As an aside, after selling my business in July of 2019, we had planned and did enjoy a cruise NCL Bliss on a 21-N LA-Panama Canal-NY, then Thanksgiving in Boston with one son, then a B2B on MSC Meraviglia YC and 2 stops at new Ocean Cay PI, then holidays with other two sons and families, we headed to Hutchinson Island (South) in Florida oceanfront on New Year's Eve.  After a couple of months of "first time away from NH winter" bliss and totally enjoying retirement, who knew the restaurants, bars and then the hotels and beaches would close in Florida?

So, we packed up and headed back to Lakes Region in NH 5 weeks ago this Sunday. 

Yikes is it so cold and dry after being in hot, warm and humid weather for months.

• Like 1

For the early days and maybe longer there are likely to be severe restrictions on who can travel on a cruise, over 70's are now asked to get their family doctor to fill in a form to say they are not likely to be ill! 

Anyone who has been in close proximity to or has a family member who has had Covid 19 will likely be refused which precludes the medical profession, police officers, Firefighters etc etc.

Anyone with long standing health issues.

These are just a few of the possible restrictions that could be implemented by Clia.

2 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

If Italy & Spain don't reopen borders until March 2021 there won't be many tourist businesses left to open up again and their economies will have collapsed as they both rely greatly on tourism.

Yes I agree.  What is the best approach to tourism for Europe? I do not know, but I think they will have a huge push back from the tourism sector if they try to wait and open in 2021.  

On 4/22/2020 at 8:13 AM, 8420PR said:

.....I believe it is a certainty that any activity that cannot guarantee social distancing, and/or contact tracing is likely to be severely restricted through to the end of the year AT LEAST (either until the virus is all but eradicated by reducing the transmission rate or a vaccine is rolled-out). 

Am I correctly interpreting both paragraphs......you believe that cruiselines can guarantee social distancing on their ships, right??

Or, please tell me that you mean June 2021. 😉

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2020 at 8:13 AM, 8420PR said:

It is worth noting the speculation about March 2021 was based on nothing more than a theoretical timeline from a journalist.   The Italian government will publish proposals this week, but may not include a estimated date for things like tourism or cruising, and the actual date depends on what happens to the virus transmission rate after the initial easing of selected lock down steps.  The focus is on eradicating the virus before the next winter flu season.

I believe it is a certainty that any activity that cannot guarantee social distancing, and/or contact tracing is likely to be severely restricted 

We sailed on Splendida in February, a ship which has a capacity of 3900, there were approximately 1400 people onboard. With the exception of some bars in the evening, everywhere was still reasonably busy. I can't see anyway that you'd enforce social distancing on a ship. 

• Like 2

Some Spanish press are reporting bars etc will start reopening June with beaches May but with social distancing. Not sure how that will be enforced though. Also not sure when foreigners will be allowed back in but hoteliers are expecting them for summer but who knows, the Spanish are only allowing children outside from Sunday after 6 weeks locked in!!!

On 4/21/2020 at 8:45 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

@Nymich no argument from me there. I've been preaching the cruise industry as the hardest hit for a long time. I genuinly don't understand people who think they are cruising this summer. I believe Canada extended it's border crossing today also. I was just surprised that both Italy and Spain floated out March 2021 as a target day already. Seems so long from now.

Yes the Canadian US border closure has been extended for another 30 days. However all Canadian ports are closed to cruise ships until July 1st.

1 hour ago, ssmea03 said:

Spain have confirmed they won't be reopening mass tourism until the New Year.

Could you post the link to official Spanish government link advising this as it certainly has not been published anywhere in Spain.

in fact the Spanish tourist minister was discussing health requirements for bars reopening in June a day ago!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Could you post the link to official Spanish government link advising this as it certainly has not been published anywhere in Spain.

in fact the Spanish tourist minister was discussing health requirements for bars reopening in June a day ago!!

From a report in La Marca, it's older than yesterday, but I would also differentiate between the local hospitality industry, bars and restaurants, and mass tourism, cruises. It's perfectly plausible that you will be able to visit your local watering hole, long before you'll be able to embark a cruise.

https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/2020/04/18/5e9b14a8e2704ed5368b45f0.html

On 4/22/2020 at 11:32 PM, cruiser man 60 said:

If Italy & Spain don't reopen borders until March 2021 there won't be many tourist businesses left to open up again and their economies will have collapsed as they both rely greatly on tourism.

exactly. This would be ridiculous. The whole tourist industry is death by then, and I guess it's 13% of the GNP. So this would be very very supid. Let's not forget that only a very small portion of the people who will get Covid19 are dying (and those who do, are very very old). 

I am not agreeing a lot with the clown in the white house, but on this I do...sometimes the cure IS worse than the illness.

And then you have the people....Never in the history of mankind the healthy are being quarantined. Normally you quarantine the sick....for now the people understand something has te be done...but if millions will lose their jobs and nations are going bankrupt, people will not gonna take it.....

In Sweden the government has done a very different job. No lockdown, cafe's and restaurants are open, as are all the shops...and the mortality rate is just the same as in a lot of other countries...but for now...they saved their economy a bit....

I live in Spain, not one single utterance of a definitive timescale, we simply do not know.

Ignore newspapers, read La Moncloa if you want official info, be a long wait nobody has a clue.

As for MSC if, like me,   you paid in full for a cruise and its been cancelled by them, they are showing no signs of anything but a company intent of stiffing/stealing from  or conning us.

7 hours ago, korpo024 said:

And then you have the people....Never in the history of mankind the healthy are being quarantined. Normally you quarantine the sick....for now the people understand something has te be done...but if millions will lose their jobs and nations are going bankrupt, people will not gonna take it.....

In Sweden the government has done a very different job. No lockdown, cafe's and restaurants are open, as are all the shops...and the mortality rate is just the same as in a lot of other countries...but for now...they saved their economy a bit....

The problem here is that this virus transmits easily from people who are asymptomatic. If you only quarantined the people who you knew were sick (and right now you can parimarily only get tested if you are showing symptoms) it would still leave a lot of people out there who actually have the virus but just don't know it and are transmitting it and it would make the pandemic worse.