Children at embarkation

ugadawgfan

We are taking our adult children and grandchildren on a 5 day cruise. When we booked our son and dil had a special rate for 3rd and 4th guest in cabin for $10 each. So we booked our 2 grandchildren who belong to our daughter in our sons OV cabin that can hold 4 people. Once we get on the ship our son & dil and Daughter & sil are going to swap rooms so that the parents are in cabin with children. But now our children are nervous about being questioned at checkin as to why children aren’t staying in the same cabin as the parents, even though they actually will be. Anyone ever done this and have advise?

Not sure why the g-kids think they will get questioned, but to allay their concern, maybe tell them to say they love their g-parents and want to spend vacation time with them and leave their parents alone.?  Sort of like cruise camping?

Royal could not care less about sleeping arrangements or cabin swaps.  As soon as you board go to guest services to get new keys. This thing happens all the time.  Every time we cruise with our adult kids my wife and our adult son book into one cabin and I am in another to take advantage of the Diamond balcony discount being applied to both cabins, we just go to GS to get new sea pass cards to make sure cabin purchases are going to the right cabin account.  happens a lot.  happy cruising

18 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Royal could not care less about sleeping arrangements or cabin swaps.  As soon as you board go to guest services to get new keys. This thing happens all the time.  Every time we cruise with our adult kids my wife and our adult son book into one cabin and I am in another to take advantage of the Diamond balcony discount being applied to both cabins, we just go to GS to get new sea pass cards to make sure cabin purchases are going to the right cabin account.  happens a lot.  happy cruising

Just what we did on our last cruise to get 2 X balcony discounts then rearranged once on board.

My parents took their kids and grandkids on a cruise last summer. My niece (11 years old) stayed in my room with me. Even though on all the paperwork we submitted to the cruise line we were clear that I was her aunt, including all of the information for the kids club, all the crew members kept calling me mommy when I would come pick her up from the club. I finally gave up on correcting them.

The one thing we ran into was one day when leaving the ship, she was ahead of me and her parents were as well. When she scanned her card, they wanted to know where I was and there was a bit of a shuffle as they made me come up and scan off the ship at the same time. Even though her actual legal parents were right behind her. 🙂  No issues scanning back onboard separately.

Enjoy your cruise!

16 minutes ago, vms said:

My parents took their kids and grandkids on a cruise last summer. My niece (11 years old) stayed in my room with me. Even though on all the paperwork we submitted to the cruise line we were clear that I was her aunt, including all of the information for the kids club, all the crew members kept calling me mommy when I would come pick her up from the club. I finally gave up on correcting them.

The one thing we ran into was one day when leaving the ship, she was ahead of me and her parents were as well. When she scanned her card, they wanted to know where I was and there was a bit of a shuffle as they made me come up and scan off the ship at the same time. Even though her actual legal parents were right behind her. 🙂  No issues scanning back onboard separately.

Enjoy your cruise!

I know on DCL, the adult in the room with a minor child has to fill out paperwork for that child to leave the ship with anyone else.  Even if the child is in Grandma's  room, Grandma must sign the paperwork allowing mom & dad (in a different room) to take the child off the ship without Grandma.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:11 AM, ugadawgfan said:

We are taking our adult children and grandchildren on a 5 day cruise. When we booked our son and dil had a special rate for 3rd and 4th guest in cabin for $10 each. So we booked our 2 grandchildren who belong to our daughter in our sons OV cabin that can hold 4 people. Once we get on the ship our son & dil and Daughter & sil are going to swap rooms so that the parents are in cabin with children. But now our children are nervous about being questioned at checkin as to why children aren’t staying in the same cabin as the parents, even though they actually will be. Anyone ever done this and have advise?

Our family did this and as long as the parents are with the kids at embarkation you'll be fine as far as boarding the ship.

After our cruise we were told we could have swapped the names on the rooms with guest services, but we just swapped keys around and it was fine. We just had to make sure one person listed on the room with the kids and one parent was with them whenever they got on or off the ship. We were all getting on and off together anyways so it never mattered.