Sailing before CDC No-Sail date of July 24th

I really do not think this can happen.  We have government advisories at Level 3 for everywhere except our home country. In two months maybe things will change enough for the better ?   Couple that with trying to get medical travel insurance for anything that could happen and .... poof goes the whole idea.

Edited by SilvertoGold

So, if the HHS Secretary does not expire the declaration of public emergency, then there's option (2) "The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific health or other considerations;"

What if, in order for HAL to resume sailing before the July 24th No-Sail date, the CDC insists that the passengers wear masks in the public areas -- like the airlines are starting to do?

Would you sail if you had to wear a mask outside your stateroom?

2 minutes ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

So, if the HHS Secretary does not expire the declaration of public emergency, then there's option (2) "The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific health or other considerations;"

What if, in order for HAL to resume sailing before the July 24th No-Sail date, the CDC insists that the passengers wear masks in the public areas -- like the airlines are starting to do?

As someone who has an Alaska cruise on the Eurodam July 11, I would wear a mask.  Our March Hawaii cruise was cancelled by HAL and I am patiently waiting for a refund.  I don't want to go through this again with a cancelled Alaska cruise.

Karen

6 hours ago, Loreto said:

As someone who has an Alaska cruise on the Eurodam July 11, I would wear a mask.  Our March Hawaii cruise was cancelled by HAL and I am patiently waiting for a refund.  I don't want to go through this again with a cancelled Alaska cruise.

Karen

I will only wear a mask outside my stateroom if I can wear my robe also.  This way I can color coordinate and look my best.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 2

Masks for guests on cruise ships are not practical, in my opinion.  I do think when cruises start up again, some people will choose to wear them at certain times and I think that is completely fine.  I think it is far more likely that some crew (depending on their job) or perhaps even all crew will be mandated to wear masks.  I am not against this idea, but I do think it would serve as a constant reminder to guests about the virus.  Since people usually go on vacation to relax and not worry about things like that, it might make it a bit unnerving to see all crew members wearing masks all day.  Can you imagine the captain strolling the ship and greeting guests wearing a surgical mask?  I, for one, would rather just see COVID-19 testing/screening at embarkation in exchange for a more "normal" cruising experience. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

I, for one, would rather just see COVID-19 testing/screening at embarkation in exchange for a more "normal" cruising experience. 

Unless you test every passenger (and crew member) every day, you won't know who has coronavirus onboard.

Some could board having been exposed but not yet detectable by test.

Some could be exposed at any port visited along the way.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

Absolutely not.  Too hot and uncomfortable.  Can't talk with other passengers.  Would rather stay home.

• Like 1

I have a hearing deficit and wear hearing aids; yet, I find myself reading lips more often than not. Just returned from a trip to restock wine and the clerk (wearing a mask), kept saying something and I did not know what she was saying. Add that big plastic barrier and I had zero idea what was happening. If they were to try to do that on a cruise, then I would probably just stay in my cabin.

Jim

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Unless you test every passenger (and crew member) every day, you won't know who has coronavirus onboard.

Some could board having been exposed but not yet detectable by test.

Some could be exposed at any port visited along the way.

I recently read an article on what is happening in Wuhan as it lifts restrictions.  Workers there have to have temperature checks 4 times a day.  So yes, at a minimum, all people on board would have to be assessed every day.

A mask isn't going to overcome the fundamental flaw of cruise ships - cruise ships are not designed for physical distancing.  In fact, they are designed to cram the most people possible into them.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:22 AM, Oak Hill Cruisers said:

No, I would not sail.  Primarily because I wouldn't feel safe.  Also because I haven't any idea what the cruise experience is going to be like. 

With many of the crew currently being repatriated to their home countries using HAL and other cruise line ships, there's little chance of cruising resuming by July 24, 2020.  How do they retrieve their crews?  Restarting operations would appear to me to be a one to three month process.  And that assumes readily available flights and other infrastructure in place.

3 hours ago, cbr663 said:

I recently read an article on what is happening in Wuhan as it lifts restrictions.  Workers there have to have temperature checks 4 times a day.  So yes, at a minimum, all people on board would have to be assessed every day.

A mask isn't going to overcome the fundamental flaw of cruise ships - cruise ships are not designed for physical distancing.  In fact, they are designed to cram the most people possible into them.

And in fact drydock often adds cabins and takes away common areas making for even more cramming of passengers.

• Like 1