Crazy but I just booked Alaska for September

iggyc

We couldn’t pass up the deal. Balcony for $2600 for the two of us including gratuity. Direct flights from Detroit for $270 per person. Can cancel up to 48 hours before cruise

we had $500 CN certificates and used our stimulus money. I’m looking at this as a free cruise. 

Jewel is currently booked at 55%. NCL travel guy said it looks like they will only book to 70%. Not worried about buffet. Never eat there. 

What would make you book a cruise in 2020

14 minutes ago, iggyc said:

Not the types of issues currently being reported. There is a lot more at stake than pricing, but good luck and safe travels.

US lawmakers open probe into coronavirus infections on Carnival cruise ships

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/01/us-lawmakers-open-probe-into-coronavirus-infections-on-carnival-cruise-ships.html

COVID COVER-UP? NCL Ship Doctor On The Norwegian Gem Dies

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/05/articles/disease/covid-cover-up-ncl-ship-doctor-on-the-norwegian-gem-dies/

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, iggyc said:

Everyone keeps saying this and it makes me laugh-I already booked a 2020 cruise. I also already sailed it way back in January when we were only testing people that travelled abroad  and had symptoms or had direct contact with some one diagnosed. I could see myself booking a cruise for the fall if ships start sailing this summer. I have one booked for January 3 of next year that I really want to go on,  but we’ll see how things look in the fall before I pay it off. 

i personal avoided alaska and canada because i dont know how long it would take them to get going . but dont listen to the doom and gloom crowd , cruising is just as safe if not safer than a lot of places one goes in a typical day 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iggyc said:

We couldn’t pass up the deal. Balcony for $2600 for the two of us including gratuity. Direct flights from Detroit for $270 per person. Can cancel up to 48 hours before cruise

we had $500 CN certificates and used our stimulus money. I’m looking at this as a free cruise. 

Jewel is currently booked at 55%. NCL travel guy said it looks like they will only book to 70%. Not worried about buffet. Never eat there. 

Congrads, sweet deal.

13 hours ago, iggyc said:

What would make you book a cruise in 2020?

Absolutely nothing.

Uncertainty with cruise lines viability. 

Uncertainty with port closures.

Airline unreliability and cancellations.

Don't want to tie up money I'm not sure can or will be refunded.

Zero appeal of social distancing/restrictions once on board.

I'll let other people who desire to go be guinea pigs on the cruise ship labs.

That's about it.

One good thing:   No need for chair hogs.

Having said that, I hope it works out well for all the early returning cruisers.  Lord knows we all can't wait to get back to a sense of normalcy...whatever that may entail in the future.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 7

I am looking at a lot of cruises (including grand princess), I found some 7 days on carnival for $411 out the door (fare, taxes, tips,  (every week for 11 weeks) but that deal is now gone). We usually book last minute (I think our most advanced was 2 months out)  I am not booking any cruises in advance  because of BK possibility and cancellations.  (I think are most advanced was 2 months out) However if this cruise stuff ever opens back up and there are some last sweet minute deals I might book one (knowing the risk of dying from the plague).

Edited by Newleno

17 hours ago, iggyc said:

Very jealous.  My wife was looking at one in August before my daughter is slated to go back to college.  I hope you are able to go and enjoy it.  

We were talking on the way to the store today.  We were wondering what cruising will be like when it returns.  I cannot see deck chairs being stationed 6 feet apart but who knows.  I know Disney has a task force to get them back opened safely.  

If it is an Alaskan cruise that has a Canadian port you should be paying attention to how Canada is reopening.

Canada is being way more cautious and I doubt that by September B.C. will be open for business. If the port isn't open the cruise will be cancelled.

I was on the Jewel last year and it left Vancouver.

Now if you are leaving from Seattle just ignore my rant 🙂

• Like 3

I think there is more of a chance that NCL will go bankrupt than you actually cruising to Alaska in September. Hopefully you are waiting until the last moment to make the final payment. 

Edited by fastpitchdad
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, iggyc said:

Even if you were able to sail it would be a very difficult cruise. Possibly masks, frequent temp taking, someone observing you while you wash hands through the day, social distancing. And just ONE person staff or passengers gets sick and bingo the ship is quarantined for 14 days. I would be very cautious before I made final payment. Best to you.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 6

I seriously doubt that cruising will be happening anytime soon.  Possibly late 2021, but at this time scientists are assuming that life will get back to "normal' in 2022.  The virus is not able to be controlled, people are dying by the tens of thousands all over the world, there is no cure nor vaccine, ports are closed to outsiders everywhere (including Canada and Alaska).  I hope you are able to get your money back.

Then there is NCL's arrogance, which is not going to help them in getting permissions to cruise to/from US ports anytime soon: https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/05/articles/disease/ridiculously-overcrowded-norwegian-escape-sails-to-miami/?fbclid=IwAR1WECR0gke4MbxntKhgsqK620PM3wknxbJrzUbgmW7j0SHhWtvvikdUhic 

• Like 2

I also booked a trip, but for November. A 10 day sailing out of Athens to the Greek Islands.  A $250 refundable deposit that allows us another few months before final payment is due and to see how this evolves.  A lot can happen in the next six months and none of us know with certainty how this ultimately plays out.  

I used miles and booked our airfare to Athens.  If this trip doesn't happen, or we decide to cancel, we can cancel our airline travel and return miles back to our account.  I'm cautiously optimistic that things will improve and we begin to return to some semblance of normalcy.  At the same time, I'm not kidding myself that everything will be fine either - just a wait, see, and hope approach. 

Edited by cruise52
Spelling

iggyc- 

Being realistic here with some thoughts re your cruise to Alaska this September.

Becoming ill with Covid -19 could still be a possibility.,Besides the concern that illness could bring to you and your family, it might cause you to be quarantined far from home for  at least fourteen days. 

You posted that you will be flying out of Detroit. I am assuming that you live in Michigan.I believe the Governor of your state has recently extended the stay-at-home date. There is a possibility that this order could be extended several times into the Summer depending on the relevant data.

If you are from Canada and flying from Detroit for convenience or /or budget, the Canadian/US border is presently closed. That closure may also be extended into the Summer months.

Because or either possibility, flying  from Detroit to the cruise port maybe problematic for you.

I did note that you would be able to cancel that cruise within 48 hours. That is a definite plus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K_e_short said:

If it is an Alaskan cruise that has a Canadian port you should be paying attention to how Canada is reopening.

Canada is being way more cautious and I doubt that by September B.C. will be open for business. If the port isn't open the cruise will be cancelled.

I was on the Jewel last year and it left Vancouver.

Now if you are leaving from Seattle just ignore my rant 🙂

BC is being EXTREMELY cautious, summer events including our Fair in August are already canceled and the Provincial Health Officer has said the limit of 50 people gathering will stay in place for months. My bet is if our Ports open before there is a vaccine, it will be against her advice & I will be very surprised

• Like 4

I hope you get to go and enjoy it.  Everyone has a different tolerance for taking various kinds of risks in life and everyone has their own circumstances and reasons.  I have Alaska booked on the Jewel for June 2021 but I will still file for a refund rather than take FCC on my recently cancelled Baltics cruise because I prefer to keep my money in my own pocket.  That said, I will likely be willing to travel this fall/winter if it becomes feasible.  We are taking a wait and see attitude.  It will depend on if there is a "second wave" and we would need to be welcome at the destination. 

2 hours ago, Taters said:

I seriously doubt that cruising will be happening anytime soon.  Possibly late 2021, but at this time scientists are assuming that life will get back to "normal' in 2022.  The virus is not able to be controlled, people are dying by the tens of thousands all over the world, there is no cure nor vaccine, ports are closed to outsiders everywhere (including Canada and Alaska).  I hope you are able to get your money back.

Then there is NCL's arrogance, which is not going to help them in getting permissions to cruise to/from US ports anytime soon: https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/05/articles/disease/ridiculously-overcrowded-norwegian-escape-sails-to-miami/?fbclid=IwAR1WECR0gke4MbxntKhgsqK620PM3wknxbJrzUbgmW7j0SHhWtvvikdUhic 

If these stores are true (and that is likely the case at this point), that is shocking and I would have great concerns putting my safety in the hands of a company that treats its employees that way.   Have NCL responded to these reports in any way?

• Like 1

I understand the hesitation but I’m paying for this with stimulus money that I don’t need for bill paying and can afford to lose. 

my thoughts are if we are still under lockdown in September that we have a lot more to worry about than a cruise getting cancelled or not getting my money back

people are freaking out about staying home right now. Can you imagine how things will be in September if this keeps up. Plus the economy has a chance to recover now. But hold off until September and all bets are off

i think they are right in saying two years and I don’t think it’s feasible to shutdown for two years. 

10 hours ago, iggyc said:

my thoughts are if we are still under lockdown in September that we have a lot more to worry about than a cruise getting cancelled or not getting my money back

I don’t think it’s going to be an either or scenario in September. I don’t think we will be ‘locked down’ to the extent things are now. But I also don’t think things will be ‘back to normal’ anytime this year. We are starting to slow move into phase 1. By September we will probably moved into phase 2 but I would expect at least one backtrack in all this where cases spike and they close some businesses down again. I truly don’t know at what point in the re-opening that cruising will become viable. I think some cruising may re-start by sept but I am skeptical about any Alaska cruises happening this year. I don’t think they will bother deploying a ship in Alaska for 1 or 2 months right at the end of the season. 

• Like 1