SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

Terry, are they serious? Sorry, but the state is going in the totally wrong direction and I cannot fathom in the next 2.5 months that South Florida will be able to SAFELY board 1,000's of guests!😲  Will go read

the article now.   Terry, I can't read the article........it says you have to subscribe to the paper.......no

thanks.

Wow, and here I am wondering if we should risk committing frequent flyer miles to come back from a Ft Lauderdale to Amsterdam TA in APR ‘21, along with a B2B on the May ‘21 British Isles cruise? Or maybe even making a hotel reservation in Amsterdam on points.

I’m having a tough time believing we’re cruising in that timeframe, let alone that RCL will be sailing the refurbished Navigator in Sep ‘20. What was I thinking? Wish I could see the full text of that article.

Anyone own a good quality crystal ball? Things are going the wrong way down here right now. We need a much better read on the trajectory of Covid-19, before we make additional travel plans, and committing non-refundable payments to any cruises.

Doc Ruth

7 minutes ago, docruth said:

Wow, and here I am wondering if we should risk committing frequent flyer miles to come back from a Ft Lauderdale to Amsterdam TA in APR ‘21, along with a B2B on the May ‘21 British Isles cruise? Or maybe even making a hotel reservation in Amsterdam on points.

I’m having a tough time believing we’re cruising in that timeframe, let alone that RCL will be sailing the refurbished Navigator in Sep ‘20. What was I thinking? Wish I could see the full text of that article.

Anyone own a good quality crystal ball? Things are going the wrong way down here right now. We need a much better read on the trajectory of Covid-19, before we make additional travel plans, and committing non-refundable payments to any cruises.

Doc Ruth

I agree with you.......the state is looking REALLY bad and sailing in Sept? I would be pretty surprised, to say the least.

Now, maybe next May would be more likely.......but in just over 2 months?  I am not sure what the cruise lines are 

seeing that is saying it will be safe to sail in September..............

17 hours ago, docruth said:

Doc Ruth

September?  Mrs Banjo and I are very concerned about January.  Right at this moment, If I had to make a prediction, it would be that the cruise we are booked on from Ft Lauderdale will be a no go.......  but my Crystal Ball is a little old and it's been kind of murky lately.  

19 hours ago, docruth said:

Wish I could see the full text of that article.   Anyone own a good quality crystal ball? Things are going the wrong way down here right now. We need a much better read on the trajectory of Covid-19, before we make additional travel plans, and committing non-refundable payments to any cruises.    Doc Ruth

SORRY!!!  Don't own a "good quality crystal ball".  Nor, even an average-quality device.  Sadly, nobody has such perfect prediction skills!!  We are all just waiting and guessing.  Too bad you cannot read that whole article due to their pay-wall.  BUT, I think I quoted and summarize most all of the key, relevant information.  Will keep looking for and sharing other key articles as I see them.  

If you go back to my first post on this thread and the key items/needs outlined by the head of Silversea's America operations, none of those boxes have really been checked, yet.  Nor close!!!  Testing for either having Covid-19 and/or such immunity is still not that easy, quick, perfect, mailable, etc. International airline flights are still limited and legitimate fears still exists for flying there on such crowded planes.  Many international ports are still limited or closed off.  Key ports such as Hong Kong now is more of a question with mainland China taking away the freedoms that had been guaranteed for that special location.  The list goes on, including about "CONSUMER CONFIDENCE", especially for those older and potentially more vulnerable from a health standpoint.  

The good news?  For many of us who have had to scrub future travel plans, our bank accounts are growing, but many, many legitimate questions and concerns exist till we are ready book and give thousands of dollars in unsecured deposit and payments to highly-leveraged cruise companies that have seen their stock values drop.  Am I missing any other key factors and realities?    

From the New York Times Travel Section yesterday, they had this headline: “5 Caribbean Destinations Reopening This Summer” with this sub-head: "As the region reopens, it faces hurricane season, pandemic-related restrictions and the absence of cruise ships."

In this detailed article, here is a key aspect: “We’re not fooling ourselves. We fully expect to see a slow return of travel,” said Frank Comito, the chief executive and director general of the Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association, which represents 33 national hotel associations in the region. “We expect those that do open up in the coming months will take some time to see hotel occupancy levels even approach 50 percent.”

Here are more of these NYT story highlights: “Restrictions vary widely. Aruba will reopen to Canadians, Europeans and most Caribbean nationals on July 1, and to visitors from the United States on July 10. St. Maarten has announced its airport will reopen July 1 as long as Covid-19 cases remain at zero. The Cayman Islands, a nation much less reliant on tourism (about 30 percent of its economy) compared to many of its neighbors, will wait until September. St. Barts is among several islands requiring a negative Covid-19 test of arrivals or offering one on the spot (for 155 euros, or about $175). Bonaire and Curacao will reopen July 1, to some Europeans.”

Many other details are shared in this article.  The key point is that there are a wide variety of different policies, requirements and plans for each of these varied locations.  That makes it even more challenging for the cruise lines to do their planning and routing.  Here is an example for what they said for this one island location: "Saint Lucia officially reopened its borders on June 4 and expects its first international flights the first week of July. Arriving passengers must provide the results of a negative Covid-19 test taken within 48 hours of arrival."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/article/caribbean-reopening-coronavirus.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic location. Over 47,338 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

21 hours ago, docruth said:

You do know that you can cancel and redeposit those FF points back into the same program if you cancel your flight.  In addition, if travel is governmentally impossible, airlines are often waiving redeposit fees.

Two items of note:  If concerned about redepositing, be sure to put both tickets on the same PNR.  Some airlines charge less if the cancellation is on one record rather than multiples.   Second - I am talking about actual airline FF miles, not other kinds of "miles", such as Amex, Chase, Citi, Starwood or other kinds of points.  Depending on how THOSE points are used, you may not be able to get them back in original form.

For example, I used Marriott points to exchange into AF Flying Blue points which I then used for AF tickets.  After the virus clampdown, AF returned all the points back into Flying Blue at no charge.  But there was no mechanism to turn the FB points back to Marriott.  Caveat Emptor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Caveat Emptor.

Agree strongly with your mention of "Caveat Emptor"!!  It is a neo-Latin phrase meaning "let the buyer beware."  That is the principle of contract law that places the burden on the buyer to perform due diligence, check, ask the right questions, be careful and smart, not get sucked in by the seller's spin and hype, etc.  

From last weekend's Travel Section of the London/UK Sunday Times, they had this headline: “Cruising’s back — and (whisper it) it may just be your safest bet for a holiday” with this sub-head: "Innovative safety measures and a focus on smaller ships and localised itineraries are getting the sector sailing again. Cruise Editor Sue Bryant reports."

This author is viewed by some as a "cheerleader" for the cruise industry and spins well for their interests and viewpoint (and hopes).  But, certain of these these highlights might be of significant interest to those following these issues closely: “Champagne-fuelled sail-away parties on deck may lack the usual glamour if you’re sporting a facemask, but cruising is back. It’s a tentative start and life on board is different, but lessons have been learnt.  The Norwegian line Hurtigruten was first to set sail again, the 1,000-passenger Finnmarken having departed from Bergen, bound for the fjords, on June 16. Only 250 Norwegians and Danes were on board — all thoroughly health-checked, temperature-scanned and socially distanced.  Less than a week later, the luxurious 112-passenger SeaDream joined Hurtigruten’s vessel in the fjords. Ponant is planning to offer five cruises from French ports from next Saturday. Tui Cruises is also planning a return to the Baltic and Norwegian fjords in August, but only for Germans. Passengers travelling with the Seattle-based expedition line UnCruise will practically have Alaska to themselves when the company resumes service there in August.”

Here is more background that might be of interest: "Big-ship cruising, meanwhile, remains in limbo, with the majority of cruise lines having cancelled everything until at least September. Indeed, some are still wrestling with the problems of repatriating crew who have been waiting for months to get home.  One of the sticking points to resuming business is the apparent lack of progress cruise lines have made building consensus with the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organisation and other government bodies on how they will operate. Lindblad Expeditions is offering a glimpse into a safer future. The line is operating what are effectively the world’s first self-disinfecting ships, by treating every surface with the Danish-made ACT CleanCoat. This odourless, harmless, antibacterial spray contains titanium dioxide, which reacts with light to break down more than 99% of microbes and purify the air.  Riverboats are already setting sail on the Rhine, Danube and Douro, and from mid-July the Rhône and the Seine will be back in action."

Many, many interesting info items in this report from this experienced writer. Here is one of her key concluding comments: "The reality, though, is that without consent from the CDC or the availability of a vaccine, cruising will probably come back in small pockets — and passengers may actually embrace social distancing."

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-days/2020-06-28/travel/cruisings-back-and-whisper-it-it-may-just-be-your-safest-bet-for-a-holiday-jpkdtrx9j

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 35,553 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Like 1

On the Silversea website this morning, they have a new, updated message.  It says, in highlighted  parts: "Silversea’s mission is to support you in traveling our beautiful world in safety, comfort and luxury and with the interest of commencing operations as soon as it will be safe to do so Silversea is currently proceeding with a 'rolling' cancellation system in which we always cancel cruises only when we know that we won’t be able to operate these for sure avoiding to cancel the ones on which there is still a possibility of resumption. We are doing our utmost best to take the best decisions in a very uncertain time.   Silversea’s global family looks forward to reunite as soon as possible as our ships hopefully recommence their itineraries around the world."

To the credit of Silversea, it is an "update", but this does not really say much or anything new, specific,  etc. "ROLLING CANCELLATION" is a way to handle this uncertain situation, but it makes it very, very hard for those waiting and waiting, hoping and hoping, maybe if, etc.  Glad that we do not have any bookings in question or doubt for later this summer, in the fall or for the upcoming winter period.  Less anxious and uncertain times for us.  But, it is very hard for others waiting to see if more specifics will come from the CDC and various other government groups.    

Talked this morning with a good friend who normally lives in New York City, but has been spending the past few months (and for the foreseeable future) in Florida (north of West Palm Beach).  They are surviving, but he told me about a member of his wife's family flying back from London Heathrow this past week.  For that one day, there were a grand total of only seven international flights going out.  That's just the limited number of such flights for the entire day.  Amazing??!!  How can we have cruising back without the flights to get there??

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 30,717 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Like 1

I attach a link to the EU’s documentInterim advice for restarting cruise ship operations after lifting restrictive measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic”.

It contains some interesting proposals about, e.g.

pre-boarding screening and possible denial of boarding,

quarantine in the event of cases arising during a cruise and support required from ports and governments in relation to guests or crew suffering from Covid-19,

use of masks and various hygiene measures in corridors, lifts, dining areas, swimming pools and other public areas,

segregation of over 65 yr olds and other vulnerable groups for dining and activities,

dining restriction to single household or family group per table.

The document is, so far, not endorsed by the EU but has been produced on its behalf with substantial input from the cruise industry, including many RCI staff.

Enjoy!

sloopjohnb

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EU_HEALTHY_GATEWAYS_COVID-19_RESTARTING_CRUISES.pdf?ver=2020-07-01-115942-557

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sloopjohnb said:

I attach a link to the EU’s documentInterim advice for restarting cruise ship operations after lifting restrictive measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic”.   The document is, so far, not endorsed by the EU but has been produced on its behalf with substantial input from the cruise industry, including many RCI staff.    Enjoy!    sloopjohnb

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EU_HEALTHY_GATEWAYS_COVID-19_RESTARTING_CRUISES.pdf?ver=2020-07-01-115942-557

Appreciate this very interesting/helpful web link and follow-up. YES, it raises many significant questions as to when and how cruising resumes.  Here are a few key aspects that I found of special interest: "A strategy for reducing the risks for COVID-19 among cruise ship passengers and crew should cover the entire process, beginning at the time of booking and extending until passengers and crew have returned to their homes. National policies for accepting incoming tourists to cross borders and to board cruise ships at the turnaround ports should also be considered in cruise line plans.  It is suggested that a gradual approach to restarting cruise ship operations should be considered. When resuming operations, cruise lines may initially consider using itineraries of a short duration (e.g. 3 to 7 days) and to perhaps limit the number of port visits in the itinerary."

Here is another key detail cited: "Cruise ship operators should reduce the number of passengers and crew on board to ensure that measures related to physical distancing on board ships can be maintained."

The more one reads, it makes clear that this is a "TALL MOUNTAIN TO CLIMB!!"  It will not be quick, simple and/or easy to check ALL of these many boxes in this comprehensive outline by the E.U. officials.  Many, many factors to consider and provide substance in preparing an effective re-opening plan.  Given the current Covid-19 flare-ups happening in Florida, Texas, Arizona, California, etc., the cruise industry has serious questions and challenges to answer before any type of re-starting can happen.  

P.S.:  I really like your name/board handle of "sloopjohnb".  That Sloop John B song by the Beach Boys is one of my top favorites.  Am I assuming the correct name linkage and connection?

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 29,913 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

36 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

P.S.:  I really like your name/board handle of "sloopjohnb".  That Sloop John B song by the Beach Boys is one of my top favorites.  Am I assuming the correct name linkage and connection?

Correct! Although I sometimes also use the handle Sloopjohnnybgoode just for a change! 

1 hour ago, sloopjohnb said:

Correct!   Although I sometimes also use the handle Sloopjohnnybgoode just for a change! 

Great that my guessing was correct as to your Beach Boys love/connection. On my MacBook/iPhone five-star music "Best of the Best" song picks are four top favorite songs from that awesome music group: Good Vibrations, Kokomo, California Girls and Sloop John B.   You also have an excellent alternative with the legend Chuck Berry and that Johnny B. Goode linkage.  

From the Travel Section of the Sydney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia on June 30, they had this headline: “Coronavirus and tourism: Experts predict 11 ways the pandemic will change travel with these highlights: “Unlike many of history's great tragedies, the coronavirus pandemic never stunned us with one catastrophic event. Instead, the deadly problem quietly snaked its way around the world, devastating millions as it grew into a global health crisis.  Royal Caribbean Cruises chief executive Richard Fain recalled how drastically travel changed after the 9/11 terrorist attacks - and how the 'new normal' eventually just became normal. He expects to see a similar phenomenon in the post-coronavirus world.  'Travel and tourism will grow,' he said. 'Not by reverting to what it was, but by adjusting to a world where all activities, everything we do in the world will have changed.' ”

Interesting comparison to the recovery after the 9/11 terror attack.  Not sure, right now, that I agree and/or can see the "light at the end of the tunnel" for these solutions being that close.  Here are the eleven ways these writers cite as the trends coming for the future related to travel:

1. Attractions: Expect fewer crowds and experiences at tourist magnets

2. Airlines will have to balance safety and profits

3. Domestic travel: Wary travellers will stay closer to home

4. International travel: Fewer travellers could mean more expensive travel abroad

5. Cruises: Buffets out, temperature checks in when ships return to sea

6. Home Sharing: Relocation will increase demand for home rentals

7. Interest in private travel is here to stay

8. Small restaurants and bars may be decimated for good

9. Hotels: Cleaning and contact-free technology will be top priorities

10. Loyalty: Programs will introduce new, temporary perks

11. Events: Large gatherings will creep back with caution - if at all

One of their key and unanswered questions is: "What will cruising look like in the future?"  In this article, RCCL CEO Fain was quoted saying: ""Travel and tourism will grow. Not by reverting to what it was, but by adjusting to a world where all activities, everything we do in the world will have changed.  I think in the beginning, we are likely to see more focus on shorter cruises and on going to places where we can do more to control the environment."  Parts of this article were written by Hannah Sampson who now with the Washington Post and who had covered travel and other issues for 17 years with the Miami Herald. The other author, Natalie Compton, has had travel-related experiences and is based on the west coast.  Many excellent details, questions, predictions, etc., are outlined with their reporting.  BUT, when and how are the major unknowns now to satisfy those wanting to know when cruising resumes.

Full story at:

https://www.traveller.com.au/coronavirus-and-tourism-experts-predict-11-ways-the-pandemic-will-change-travel-h1os3n

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 18,464 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 2

From the Wall Street Journal yesterday, they had this headline: Is It Safe to Travel Again? Your Coronavirus Questions Answered” with below a small sampling of various highlighted responses for a wide range of key questions.  

Here are some of the items that might relate to when and how cruising can resume.  For the question of Is there any place abroad where I can travel right now?: “Not easily. Many countries remain closed to nonessential travelers and non-residents. Some nations are gradually lifting their bans but only permitting in tourists from countries where the number of coronavirus cases is relatively low or steadily declining. The European Union lifted its internal borders last month. But tourists from the U.S. are still prohibited from entering most European countries.  The United Kingdom as well as a handful of Caribbean countries, such as Antigua and St. Lucia, are welcoming visitors from the U.S. but with key caveats. Visitors to the United Kingdom, for example, are required to self-isolate for 14 days.”

On the question of Am I allowed to travel to Canada?:  "The closure of the U.S.-Canada border was recently extended until at least July 21, which means non-essential travelers are still prohibited from entering Canada by sea, plane or car."       

About the issue of Should I avoid flying altogether?:  "Health authorities, including the CDC, maintain that the risk of infection on airplanes is low. Contrary to popular belief, cabin air is less of a concern; virtually all international jetliners are equipped with High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters, similar to those used in hospital operating room, capable of blocking more than 99% of airborne microbes. Cabin air is circulated vertically, from ceiling to floor, and refreshed every two to three minutes."

For Should I avoid cruises altogether?:  "After the widely reported quarantines of passengers on ocean liners and the rapid rise of confirmed cases among the passengers and crew, the CDC and the U.S. State Department issued heightened travel warnings, advising travelers to defer all cruise ship travel world-wide. The CDC points out that the people at highest risk of falling seriously ill from Covid-19 are older adults and people with severe chronic medical conditions, including heart disease, lung disease and diabetes. Most cruise lines have temporarily suspended voyages worldwide until September 15."

Regarding How are airlines changing their cancellation or booking policies in light of the coronavirus?:  "Major airlines, facing soft demand for future trips, are continuing to extend flexibility to new ticket purchases. Customers who book travel between now and July 31 on most U.S. airlines will be allowed one fee-free change, and typically they have at least one year to use the ticket from the date of purchase. Some fliers may also be allowed to postpone their travel for a longer period."

Responding to Is there any point in buying travel insurance if coronavirus isn’t covered by it?:  "If you’re insuring your trip because of Covid-19 you are probably out of luck; most trip-protection policies won’t refund you if you back out of an upcoming trip because you’re afraid to go. But there are plenty of other reasons to insure your trip; you might get a partial refund if your policy includes trip interruption coverage and you fall ill while traveling, or have to return home earlier than expected, depending on the circumstances."

This is only a small sampling from this long and comprehensive Q&A series.  This newspaper has a fairly tight pay-wall.  Hopefully a few of these items are of interest and help in summarizing that this is a major, complicated path in getting back to some form fo near "normal"

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/all-your-coronavirus-travel-questions-answered-11582980999

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Thanks 1

Interesting and potentially smart move this morning has been announced by the three major cruise lines, including RCCL, the parent of Silversea.  

From the Wall Street Journal, they had a copy of the PR Newswire release with this headline: “Leading Public Health Experts to Oversee Development of Enhanced Cruise Line Health and Safety Standards” that had this sub-head: " 'Healthy Sail Panel' comprises top experts in public health, infectious disease, biosecurity, hospitality and maritime operations".

Here are some of the highlights and details from their morning media release: The companies have asked Governor Mike Leavitt and Dr. Scott Gottlieb to serve as co-chairs of a newly formed group of experts. The panel is tasked with collaboratively developing recommendations for cruise lines to advance their public health response to COVID-19, improve safety, and achieve readiness for the safe resumption of operations.  The expert panel has been working for nearly a month and will offer its initial recommendations by the end of August. The cruise lines said its work will be "open source," and could be freely adopted by any company or industry that would benefit from the group's scientific and medical insights.”   

Leavitt is a former Utah Governor and Secretary of the U.S. Department Health and Human Services (HHS).  Dr. Gottlieb is a former commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).  Others M.D.'s, several with Masters in Public Health, are a part of this overall group.  This range of experts looks great on paper.  Impressive backgrounds.  They are, however, being hired and paid by the cruise industry.  

This plan appears, in my opinion, to be an industry way to "push and persuade" the CDC to open up cruise sailing and allow this activity to be resumed.  Notice their announced deadline of late August?  Nothing is happening quickly or soon.  

My analysis?:  This effort is part good "P.R."!!  It makes the industry look like a forward-looking leader.  Much will be focused to important questions as to on-ship cleaning and standards, staff operations, etc.  That's good.  BUT, can this group answer for having pre-boarding testing for either having Covid-19 and/or such immunities.  That vital need is still not that easy, quick, perfect, mailable, etc. International airline flights are still limited and legitimate fears still exists for flying to ports on such crowded planes.  Many international locations are still limited or closed off.  Then, there is that little item called  "CONSUMER CONFIDENCE", especially for those older and potentially more vulnerable from a health standpoint. Much needs to be done, but this is a good move to start some movement in the right direction.  Reactions and comments?  Agree or disagree?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/PR-CO-20200706-904696

or it maybe would be easier to access the full release at: 

www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/leading-public-health-experts-to-oversee-development-of-enhanced-cruise-line-health-and-safety-standards-301088345.html

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 251,720 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Like 2

Just FYI and not directly related to cruising, but we took our first airline flights over the holiday weekend. Plane was packed but everyone was masked and there was very little corridor traffic. Only a two hour flight and no refreshments so relatively easy. We were compulsive about hand washing and sanitizer use, though. I felt safe and encouraged. I think we can do this!

1 hour ago, tosteve1 said:

Just FYI and not directly related to cruising, but we took our first airline flights over the holiday weekend. Plane was packed but everyone was masked and there was very little corridor traffic. Only a two hour flight and no refreshments so relatively easy. We were compulsive about hand washing and sanitizer use, though. I felt safe and encouraged. I think we can do this!

Great updating, comments and follow-up regarding those first airline flights and your positive future hopes.  Agree a two-hour flight is more manageable.  Some of our best cruises, however, have involved long, LONG flights to South Africa, Australia, Hong Kong, Greece, the Middle East, etc. Much depends where you are sailing from and coming back from.    

As more background from today's announcement, the respected business publication, Barron's,  connected with the Wall Street, they had today this headline: “Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Line Enlist Health Experts to Shape Safety Protocols for Cruising in the Pandemic Era”.  

Here are some of their reporting highlights: Royal Caribbean Cruises and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings have enlisted a panel of experts to vet and beef up their safety and health protocols as they aim to reassure cruise-goers amid the Covid-19 pandemic.  The cruise lines are in the process of submitting enhanced health and safety protocols to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC has had a no-sail order in place until July 24; that is expected to be extendedThe panel will 'evaluate, supplement and refine' any submissions Royal Caribbean and Norwegian make to the CDC.

Agree, much of "IT" is all about the CDC and gaining their green light to even be able to start  shorter, "drive to" cruises out of Florida, etc.  This publication interviewed today Dr. Scott Gottlieb, a former U.S. Food and Drug Administration commissioner and respected public-health expert:   "The big wild card for the cruise industry is whether it can resume sailings without a Covid-19 vaccine in place. 'It’s one of the questions we are grappling with,' Gottlieb told Barron’s on Monday.  He added that 'we are coming up with a set of recommendations that can improve health and safety in a Covid environment and then we are overlaying that with an assessment of what is the overall risk in the population—what is the prevalence of infection. That is ultimately going to affect what you can do and what you do.'  Even if there is a vaccine in place and the prevalence of the virus diminishes considerably, Gottlieb said, “there are still probably things that industries are doing to do differently, including the cruise industry. We are going to have to think differently about respiratory health in perpetuity after this event.'  However, Gottlieb believes that even without a vaccine, the cruise operators can resume business with the proper protocols in place.  'It’s possible to create a protective bubble around the cruise experience,' adding, 'It’s a controlled environment and it becomes a question of what are you capable of doing, what are you willing to do, and is there still a residual experience there that’s attractive to consumers. But it is an environment that we can control.'  He said, however, that 'you are never going to have a zero-risk environment.' "  

Many interesting details and aspects from this interview with Dr. Gottlieb.  Also included in this article was this announcement: "Carnival, the largest U.S. cruise operator, said Monday that it and the World Tourism & Travel Council will co-sponsor a summit on Covid-19.  The summit, which is open to the public online, is scheduled for July 23. It will include global science and health experts."

Full story at:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/royal-caribbean-norwegian-cruise-line-enlist-health-experts-to-shape-safety-protocols-for-cruising-in-the-pandemic-era-51594047836?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D40702954831775200923670391446009419319|MCORGID%3DCB68E4BA55144CAA0A4C98A5%40AdobeOrg|TS%3D1594060958

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,826

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Thanks 1

From the Wall Street Journal and PR Newswire today, here is their headline: “WTTC and Carnival Corporation Present Unique COVID-19 Scientific Summit” with these highlights: “Set for July 23, this will be a virtual scientific summit focused on COVID-19 and the 'new normal'. Taking place from 1400 hours to 1730 GMT (10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. EDT) on Thursday, July 23, the summit, which is open to the public, will share the latest scientific knowledge and evidence-based best practices related to prevention, detection, treatment and mitigation of COVID-19.”

Among the areas to be discussed will be:

* Epidemiology: Incubation and peak infectivity periods for SARS-CoV-2;  disease progression from exposure to illness; and symptom variability among different individuals and groups. 
* Transmission:  How, when and where SARS-CoV-2 spreads; significance of environmental transmission; guidelines for mitigating spread. 
* Screening and Testing:  Availability and accuracy of current testing methods; viable and cost effective ways to detect illness and effectiveness of screening using temperature and health questionnaires. 

For those interested, they shared:  "To register for the Summit, please go to CovidScienceSummit.com    Global participants will be invited to submit questions in advance and during the online event."

Nobody can say that they have not been invited to have a chance to hear more, raise questions, etc.  Interesting that Royal Caribbean and NCL have teamed up to go one direction versus this health/PR path current being taken by Carnival.  Why are not ALL three of these cruise biggies marching in the same direction to the same tune?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/PR-CO-20200706-906045

or via this web connection: 

www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/wttc-and-carnival-corporation-present-unique-covid-19-scientific-summit-301088439.html

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,562 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

I much prefer the RCCL / NCL approach.  Scientists working for industry, such as the panel Terry describes, can and do solve problems like this.  The solutions so developed benefit consumers and add to the bottom line of their employers.  In addition, the solutions developed by private industry must be approved by a regulating authority before they are implemented.  To be effective, the regulator must be competent, impartial, and not care one bit about the supplicant's bottom line.  In this case, in the US, the CDC would be that regulator.

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Interesting that Royal Caribbean and NCL have teamed up to go one direction versus this health/PR path current being taken by Carnival.

Carnival could be taking advantage of the "open" approach Terry describes above.  Results from RCCL / NCL will be shared with all so Carnival gets them for free.  Or, perhaps, we are seeing a sort of cooperation among these rivals.  Put two heavy hitters on the science.  Put the other on a sort of public health/PR tack.

We want to cruise again.  Thank you Terry for these posts, and as I've read somewhere on this board, " Keep them coming" 😉  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

I much prefer the RCCL / NCL approach.  Scientists working for industry, such as the panel Terry describes, can and do solve problems like this.   We want to cruise again.  Thank you Terry for these posts, and as I've read somewhere on this board, " Keep them coming" 😉  

Understand the comments and viewpoints expressed above from our Richmond, Virginia, "neighbor".  Yes, we all want to cruise and explore again.  Just waiting for this "situation" to evolve and settle down.  Plus, seeking to know more for the vital safety/logistics to be clear/safe/smooth/attractive.  And, FUN!!

Did many past Silversea customers receive today the email message from SS CEO Roberto Martinoli?  It details much of what I had shared yesterday.  This includes:  "The Healthy Sail Panel is formed by a team of 11 leading experts in areas of science and public health, with varied backgrounds in medical practice and research, infectious diseases, biosecurity, hospitality, and maritime operations. Governor Michael Leavitt, former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and Dr. Scott Gottlieb, former commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will serve as co-chairs of the newly formed group. Rest assured we will communicate with you our final guidelines when they become available, in the meantime you can feel confident that some of brightest minds in the world are focusing on solutions; and when we sail again, cruising with us will be safer than ever."

Looks like good PR and a way to warm up folks to consider booking future cruise.  Saying "our final guidelines" sound important, but it is what the CDC and other key government agencies allow that will be the determining standard.  Also, much of this effort seems most important for Silversea's challenged finances as it seems that they are focused on getting more CASH in their accounts.  Am I too cynical, distrustful and suspicious? 

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 88,026 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Like 1

Their panel includes some pretty heavyweight folks from academia and ex-CDC. Those people will not attach their names and reputations to anything less than solid recommendations and should  carry significant weight with authorities. We’ll see if they come up with something workable.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tosteve1 said:

Their panel includes some pretty heavyweight folks from academia and ex-CDC. Those people will not attach their names and reputations to anything less than solid recommendations and should  carry significant weight with authorities. We’ll see if they come up with something workable.

Agree with the above comments and follow-up from our North Carolina "neighbor".  Very solid and experienced people are involved. Impressive and smart!!  Too bad that Carnival did not join in.   BUT, given the current spike up in Covid-19 cases in parts of the U.S., especially in South Florida, these factors will give "pause" to the CDC in making any quick moves, issuing OK's, lifting their current orders, etc.   

From USA Today newspaper yesterday, they had this headline: “Carnival delays Mardi Gras launch, Radiance overhaul, cancels at least 30 cruises from November to January” with these highlights: Carnival Cruise Line announced that its newest ship, the Mardi Gras, will not sail until Feb. 6, four months later than planned. That means that Mardi Gras itineraries sailing out of Port Canaveral, Florida, will be canceled between Nov. 14 through Jan. 30, a popular time to sail.  All told, at least 30 cruises won't happen as a result of the domino effect caused by the delay of the new ship and another that's being renovated.  Christine Duffy, Carnival's president, said in a statement Tuesday that the cruise line is continuing to assess the pandemic's impact on public health, global commerce and cruise operations.

Full story at:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/07/07/carnival-mardi-gras-ship-delayed-line-cancels-some-sailings-into-2021/5389586002/

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 66,809 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

From the Washington Post this morning, they had this headline: “Florida invited the nation to its reopening — then it became a new coronavirus epicenter” with these highlights: As the coronavirus savaged other parts of the country, Florida, buoyed by low infection rates, seemed an ideal location for a nation looking to emerge from isolation. The NBA eyed a season finale at a Disney sports complex near Orlando and millions packed onto once-empty beaches. Weeks later, the Sunshine State has emerged as a coronavirus epicenter. Nearly 1 out of every 100 residents is infected with the virus, hospital intensive care units are full or filling up, and big-name visitors who chose Florida for their first post-isolation events are now mired in questions and controversies about safety. Amid escalating infections, Florida is faring poorly. Residents worry the situation will get much worse. Florida is now one of a handful of states whose spiking numbers are driving a major resurgence of the virus in the United States. On Tuesday there were 213,794 cases of the coronavirus in Florida, according to Washington Post data. The state has tallied a record number of cases over the past week, averaging 8,766 a day, according to Post data.  In a sign of intensifying trouble, 52 intensive care units across more than a third of the state’s counties had reached capacity by Tuesday, according to data released by the state’s Agency for Health Care Administration. Another 17 hospitals had also run out of regular beds.

Not a good sign or summary for the "CENTER OF THE CRUISE INDUSTRY"!!??  Fair or unfair indicators about this "Sunshine" state?  How does this "Florida environment" affect the various cruise line executives in charting their forward-looking hopes and plans?

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/florida-invited-the-nation-to-its-reopening--then-it-became-a-new-coronavirus-epicenter/2020/07/07/74645c82-c069-11ea-b178-bb7b05b94af1_story.html

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 49,753 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Not trying to pile-on and/or only be negative.  Just sharing "news", good and bad, from various media sources on important issues affecting travel and the future resuming of cruising.  

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: “United Warns It May Furlough 36,000 Staff” with these highlights: United Airlines said it could be forced to shed almost half its U.S. workforce, telling 36,000 employees on Wednesday that they could be furloughed from Oct. 1 because of the pandemic-driven slump in passenger demand.  Chicago-based United is the first major U.S. carrier to detail possible mass furloughs despite the billions of dollars in federal aid provided to airlines that covered payrolls through September.   A senior executive called the move 'a last resort', and follows the recent dip in the fragile improvement in demand from April’s low following a spike in Covid-19 cases in some states, as well as new quarantine measures in the New York City area and Chicago that have kept fliers from resuming travel.  The airline is still burning through $40 million a day, the executive told reporters on Wednesday, adding that it could no longer count on a further round of government support to cover staff costs beyond Oct. 1."

Also of importance was this aspect of their story: "Overseas carriers including United’s alliance partner Deutsche Lufthansa AG and British Airways have already announced plans to shed large parts of their workforce, with airline and finance executives not expecting global demand to recover to 2019 levels for between three and five years."

As noted originally, having a good range airline service and schedules are a vital parts of the future plan to bring back cruise ship operations.  This announcement today does not help the process happening soon and more quickly. 

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/united-warns-it-may-furlough-36-000-staff-11594222563?mod=hp_lead_pos2

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 47,697 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Edited by TLCOhio

After a bit of an increase in air traffic here in San Antonio there were reports this morning that there has been reduction in the past few days.   At the low point I think we were running 15%-20% of normal traffic.  Of course Texas and particularly San Antonio has had a pretty significant increase in Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations.   We’re back to mandatory mask wearing in public, bars have been closed, and restaurants that were allowed 75% occupancy have been cut back to 50%.   All that has resulted in fewer vacationers, cancelled conferences, etc.   We have not turned the corner in any sense.