Why I feel August will be the real restart date.

seaman11

57 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

was i wrong when i booked carnival for august months ago, before they announced only 3 ports they would sail out of?  Was i wrong that ncl would offer another 125% FCC for the latest canceled cruises.  when many said they would not. 

You were wrong with your May 2020 NCL cruise 

They offered you the same 125% that you  had on the original cancellation, the same as us - you have not got two 125% credits. 

7 hours ago, hamrag said:

Absolutely correct, we don't know for sure.....but you forecast April, then May, then June, then July/August, and now it's September!! 🤣

never forecasted april, said may had a 20 percent chance of going, and  end of june i said a possibility, and i did think by july a few small ships would go so i was wrong there .  August is looking strong for the limited cruises out of  two areas i had mentioned would be the best shots of going.  and i had booked carnival aug 13 elevation a few months ago and not by luck. i figured florida and texas would be the first to open back up.   you were saying 2021. so lets see. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mrdodgy said:

You were wrong with your May 2020 NCL cruise 

They offered you the same 125% that you  had on the original cancellation, the same as us - you have not got two 125% credits. 

yes i did get the second 25% bonus, which many of you swore they wouldn't give ,  you are incorrect.  but i had an issue getting my original fair credited back as a fcc so i put in a dispute. 

you are also talking about sailings around the world when i am not, only that a few ships will go out by the end of this summer and that might not be ncl but another line like carnival , or rc. 

Edited by seaman11

4 hours ago, seaman11 said:

never forecasted april, said may had a 20 percent chance of going, and  end of june i said a possibility, and i did think by july a few small ships would go so i was wrong there .  August is looking strong for the limited cruises out of  two areas i had mentioned would be the best shots of going.  and i had booked carnival aug 13 elevation a few months ago and not by luck. i figured florida and texas would be the first to open back up.   you were saying 2021. so lets see. 

Can you explain how any cruise line can operate when CDC has issued the No Sail order.

After 100 days do you think this order will just expire and no CDC order will be in place.

You look very clever in booking  Carnival Aug 13.

But you were just going by the monthly cancellation by the cruise line for cash preservation purposes.

You have been hoodwink by the cruise line into thinking this is somehow related to their start of sailing.

Edited by datolim

5 hours ago, seaman11 said:

yes i did get the second 25% bonus, which many of you swore they wouldn't give ,  you are incorrect.  but i had an issue getting my original fair credited back as a fcc so i put in a dispute. 

you are also talking about sailings around the world when i am not, only that a few ships will go out by the end of this summer and that might not be ncl but another line like carnival , or rc. 

Direct from NCL website 

"The original FCC will be added back to the guests' profile and then they will also receive a new FCC for the outstanding amount." it does not sat bonus cruise credit.

Your original one was added back and they issued a new on one at the original value +25%. We will just have to disagree about the total bonus you got. 

Now you are saying it MIGHT not be NCL and you agree that May 2020 was far too early to even possibly have a cruise

There will be no sailing in the US in August with RC. Thy will have no where to sail to! 

You may  have  missed the marketing aspect of the 25% bonus They have your money and you have no cruise.  What actually do you do with the bonus - you book an additional cruise which is not covered by the credit or the same cruise with the credit and get nothing back in change as the price has gone up. So you either spend more money with them or still have one cruise - here is the bonus. That why people are not being sucked in anymore. Its not just NCL its all the lines. Also note that it does not include special promotions you may have had and which are not there when you re book! and do not forget the 20% discount if you booked before May 15 which you did is no longer available. So any FCC credited back to your account  is less 20% 

You do onto  have an answer as to how the lines will crew the ships. Okay a bit of inside information - they can not crew the ships at present and given the pandemic is not under control  the lines at present have no idea how they will get crew out of home countries and back to the ships. Further they have an issue that even one case on board is going to mean a100% quarantine on a ship and cancelled cruises. 

As to Carnival lets wait and see but  given their other brands are not opening up why would you think your Elation cruise will sail, Datalim is spot on - they have your cash until they need to cancel.  

• Like 2

Why chastise @seaman11?  That’s just mean.  He’s looking to take a cruise.  I am, too.  Whenever there’s any good news (like Carnival restarting and NCL planning to sail in Q3), some try to throw cold water on it.

If you don’t want to cruise, don’t.  I get it.  I’m not afraid of this thing.  I can’t live my life afraid.  

Not sure why that concerns anyone else.

• Like 2

Ok graphic guy - you are right it is mean and agree with you no need.

The reason people throw cold water on it is this - it  never materialises. The industry is desperate to get going again. I have 4 cruises booked Nov to Jan 2021  on NCL   and others so do not get me wrong all I want is for him to be correct  but sadly being in the know I doubt it. The industry is so scared of another flare up on board and the negative press. they will not rush back. The reputational cost to the industry of that happening would be greater than the one or two months further  of no cruise.

The issue is no flights - no crew, and no infrastructure to provision ships and actually a bigger worry - nowhere to go!!

I hope I am proven to be totally wrong 🙂

Edited by Mrdodgy
  • Like 1

Exactly.  None of us knows how this will play out but why be so negative?  I have an NCL cruise booked for November 2020 in Greek Islands.  Will it go?  Maybe, maybe not.  Greece is planning to reopen 7/1/20.  Will it?  Will there be issues - who knows.  I think there are some positive signs that things are beginning to improve SLOWLY.  That doesn't mean we are out of the woods.  It also doesn't mean we shouldn't or can't be optimistic.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruise52 said:

Exactly.  None of us knows how this will play out but why be so negative?  I have an NCL cruise booked for November 2020 in Greek Islands.  Will it go?  Maybe, maybe not.  Greece is planning to reopen 7/1/20.  Will it?  Will there be issues - who knows.  I think there are some positive signs that things are beginning to improve SLOWLY.  That doesn't mean we are out of the woods.  It also doesn't mean we shouldn't or can't be optimistic.  

Yesterday I would have agreed with you. But today Spain has reintroduced lockdown in certain areas and I am told there is no chance of cruising in the Med this year as all EU countries are following UK with a quarantine for two weeks on arrival. 

The final reason is simple most European countries including the UK will not welcome back cruise ships as they fear another lockdown. I for one am delighted with the UK quarantine (too late though) and hope we do not have cruise ships this year into the UK.

There is big difference between optimism and reality!

Edited by Mrdodgy

Yes, very questionable.  How, where, and when cruises will resume is yet to be determined and depends on how things progress.  Greece for instance handled the outbreak very early and as a result had a very low infection and death rate.  Probably because the islands and geographical separation helped as well.  Reportedly, they will require health certifications from all foreigners dated no more than 72 hours prior to entry.  They have a nine step plan, including dedicated hotels for quarantine and medical care, should any new cases develop.  

I fluctuate from hopeful to doubtful regularly.  One thing I remind myself is that we are only a little over two months from when Covid was acknowledged (U.S.) as a pandemic and steps were implemented to respond.   Look how much has occurred since the beginning of March (60 - 70 days ago).  A lot can and will happen over the next several months.  I think an August cruise is optimistic but also about 90 days away.  September to October is 120 plus days from now.  One thing is for certain - Someone or some cruise has to be the canary or the guinea pig and "test the waters".  Will I be willing?  Can't answer that yet.  We have until July 11th to decide to make final payment or see if the sailing will be cancelled.  A lot will happen between now and then.  

6 minutes ago, cruise52 said:

Yes, very questionable.  How, where, and when cruises will resume is yet to be determined and depends on how things progress.  Greece for instance handled the outbreak very early and as a result had a very low infection and death rate.  Probably because the islands and geographical separation helped as well.  Reportedly, they will require health certifications from all foreigners dated no more than 72 hours prior to entry.  They have a nine step plan, including dedicated hotels for quarantine and medical care, should any new cases develop.  

I fluctuate from hopeful to doubtful regularly.  One thing I remind myself is that we are only a little over two months from when Covid was acknowledged (U.S.) as a pandemic and steps were implemented to respond.   Look how much has occurred since the beginning of March (60 - 70 days ago).  A lot can and will happen over the next several months.  I think an August cruise is optimistic but also about 90 days away.  September to October is 120 plus days from now.  One thing is for certain - Someone or some cruise has to be the canary or the guinea pig and "test the waters".  Will I be willing?  Can't answer that yet.  We have until July 11th to decide to make final payment or see if the sailing will be cancelled.  A lot will happen between now and then.  

I think this is the best reply I have read. The speed it came on and I hoe the speed it leaves you could well be right. September is a good call in my view but Europe not this season in my view. Am I willing to try flying yes but cruise no - do not ask me why I have no idea 🙂

Edited by Mrdodgy

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Why chastise @seaman11?  That’s just mean.  He’s looking to take a cruise.  I am, too.  Whenever there’s any good news (like Carnival restarting and NCL planning to sail in Q3), some try to throw cold water on it.

If you don’t want to cruise, don’t.  I get it.  I’m not afraid of this thing.  I can’t live my life afraid.  

Seaman is being chastised because of Seaman is in a reality distortion field. The reality of social distancing and business not going on as usual has also seemed to passed by Seaman  If you are not afraid of the virus you are also in a reality distortion field. 

None of us is going to cruise from US ports until the CDC says it is okay, the US ports say it is okay, the foreign ports say it is okay. Then the cruise lines have logistics, they still have thousands of crew stranded on ships! Then you can go if you so choose. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mrdodgy said:

I think this is the best reply I have read. The speed it came on and I hoe the speed it leaves you could well be right. September is a good call in my view but Europe not this season in my view. Am I willing to try flying yes but cruise no - do not ask me why I have no idea 🙂

Totally understand your reluctance or refusal to cruise for awhile.  From what I've read, I believe initial cruise loads will be low by design and circumstances.  This leaves me feeling a bit more comfortable cruising with the threat of this virus.  Will I be required to wear a mask - maybe.  Sit in a lounge chair that's spaced far away from others? Oh, the thought!  I'm hopeful as our November cruise is port intensive and only travels between Greece and Turkey.  We cancelled our earlier September Celebrity cruise out of Spain (France, Italy and Spain ports) as this Greece itinerary is later in the year and I feel a little less risky (if there is such a thing with the threat of Covid). Fingers and toes crossed!

17 minutes ago, cruise52 said:

Totally understand your reluctance or refusal to cruise for awhile.  From what I've read, I believe initial cruise loads will be low by design and circumstances.  This leaves me feeling a bit more comfortable cruising with the threat of this virus.  Will I be required to wear a mask - maybe.  Sit in a lounge chair that's spaced far away from others? Oh, the thought!  I'm hopeful as our November cruise is port intensive and only travels between Greece and Turkey.  We cancelled our earlier September Celebrity cruise out of Spain (France, Italy and Spain ports) as this Greece itinerary is later in the year and I feel a little less risky (if there is such a thing with the threat of Covid). Fingers and toes crossed!

I just canceled my Aug 29th cruise.  I did not feel safe flying from SF to NY and also sailing up the coast where the virus is still prevalent.  I am fearful that if I made the final payment and if the cruise was canceled, I would get a credit which may be useless if cruise companies file bankruptcy.  I am still waiting for a credit from a Princess cruise that was canceled in April.  On the other hand, we took a 21 day cruise on the Gem in February and had a wonderful time.  Little did I realize that would be my last cruise for the year!

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Seaman is being chastised because of Seaman is in a reality distortion field. The reality of social distancing and business not going on as usual has also seemed to passed by Seaman 

So this effects you how? If seaman is optimistic about cruising and wants to get on a ship asap, more power to him.

Just be nice. 😊

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

So this effects you how? If seaman is optimistic about cruising and wants to get on a ship asap, more power to him.

Just be nice. 😊

seaman has a Panglossian outlook on this situation which causes him to move his goalposts as each rosy scenario reveals itself as unworkable. He seems determined to continue with revised dates until like the proverbial broken clock he is right. That's unobjectionable on its own but he chastises everyone that points out the obstacles to be overcome and labels them as naysayers etc. He's only getting back what he gives out.

2 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

seaman has a Panglossian outlook on this situation which causes him to move his goalposts as each rosy scenario reveals itself as unworkable. He seems determined to continue with revised dates until like the proverbial broken clock he is right. That's unobjectionable on its own but he chastises everyone that points out the obstacles to be overcome and labels them as naysayers etc. He's only getting back what he gives out.

He believes that cruises are going to start up sooner rather than later. I don't get why some are continuing to argue with him. He's made up his mind and that's fine. It doesn't effect anyone else, that's all I'm saying.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

He believes that cruises are going to start up sooner rather than later. I don't get why some are continuing to argue with him. He's made up his mind and that's fine. It doesn't effect anyone else, that's all I'm saying.

I think the more appropriate term is discussion.

The pushback is due to his priggishness toward those who have a view at variance with his own.

Edited by Paul Bogle
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

yes , thx, i agree, we cant live scared and never be around others again. we can take our own precautions like washing extra and avoiding physical contact   august is nearly 3 months from now, the trend of cases is coming down and things are slowly opening up. 

28 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

that's the thing , some of you act like i gave a specific date it will start up(no one can do that) , never did that. that is in your minds . I simply said august looks good for carnival short cruises out of those 3 ports they listed.  This time the plan looks more real.  i knew may was iffy that is why i said only 20 percent chance of that going imo.  i did think june was a strong possibilty and july i thought some limited cruises would start up. i was wrong about that, but id rather be optimistic then doom and gloom with ppl saying no cruises till 2021 or summer 2021. 

btw this "pushback" of dates is by the cruiselines and the news coming in , not by me. 

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Bogle said:

Move goal post

obfuscate

make false claims

On and on and on you go.

so you ignored my post?  you would think someone in their 60's would outgrow this HS stuff. 

ill be sure to send you a post card before your 2021 start date. 😎

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

ill be sure to send you a post card before your 2021 start date. 😎

This is a perfect example of:

1) outright lie

2) lack of reading comprehension

3) dementia

I have no idea which but I hope it isn't the first as that represents pure cynicism.

1 minute ago, Paul Bogle said:

This is a perfect example of:

1) outright lie

2) lack of reading comprehension

3) dementia

I have no idea which but I hope it isn't the first as that represents pure cynicism.

what is your thinking of when they will start up? Since its not 2021 or aug/sept.