Transatlantic cruise

Hi

Looking to do a Transatlantic from New York to Southampton in late April 2021 on anthem of the seas , for the experienced cruisers out there what sort of weather and conditions could be expected.

Cheers

It's a more northerly track that the Allure used in March which set off 1st from Fort Lauderdale and arrived in Barcelona on the 13th with very little bad weather - most days weren't necessarily hot, but they were sunny!

That said, on probably a similar track, the Titanic sunk during the night of the 14/15th April so the weather can't have been that great, yet how much notice do you take in the fact there's been 100+ years of climate change?

The ship is plenty capable of occupying most people during bad weather, I guess it goes down to what you want from it and if that includes a suntan then I'm not too sure you'll get one!

The northern route of that cruise and the time of year means that your crossing will be cold and there won't be any opportunity to sit outside during the crossing. It's going to be indoors all the way over plus there could be rough seas, rain and cold winds. Once you get to the Azores the weather will be better. Having said that it makes some nice stops and a great itinerary .

Edit: On the Le Havre port stop I would resist going to Paris and instead go to Rouen. You can take the train and be there in an hour and enjoy a great day there.

Halifax is the nicest Canadian town along that route.

You should definitely allocate time at the end of the cruise for London and if you have lots of time you can go via train to Paris and fly back from there!

Edited by kwokpot

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

The northern route of that cruise and the time of year means that your crossing will be cold and there won't be any opportunity to sit outside during the crossing. It's going to be indoors all the way over plus there could be rough seas, rain and cold winds. Once you get to the Azores the weather will be better. Having said that it makes some nice stops and a great itinerary .

Edit: On the Le Havre port stop I would resist going to Paris and instead go to Rouen. You can take the train and be there in an hour and enjoy a great day there.

Halifax is the nicest Canadian town along that route.

You should definitely allocate time at the end of the cruise for London and if you have lots of time you can go via train to Paris and fly back from there!

We are from the UK so having 3 days in New York , and we only live and hour from Southampton so easy to get home. We have been to all the ports before apart from Halifax so looking forward to that and i agree Rouen is a lovely place to spend a few hours.

2 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

It's a more northerly track that the Allure used in March which set off 1st from Fort Lauderdale and arrived in Barcelona on the 13th with very little bad weather - most days weren't necessarily hot, but they were sunny!

That said, on probably a similar track, the Titanic sunk during the night of the 14/15th April so the weather can't have been that great, yet how much notice do you take in the fact there's been 100+ years of climate change?

The ship is plenty capable of occupying most people during bad weather, I guess it goes down to what you want from it and if that includes a suntan then I'm not too sure you'll get one!

Not bothered about a tan 🙂 , just looking to do nothing for a few days

1 hour ago, boogybaby said:

Hi, we are sailing on the cruise and hoping for great weather so far we have been lucky. We enjoy transatlantics

Its our first transatlantic so looking forward to it, is it worth getting a balcony if on average the weather is not great ??

We've done a couple of transatlantic cruises including an eastbound on the QM2 from NY to Southampton in mid October.   It's a northern route and no ports.  7 sea days. We had beautiful weather and walked every afternoon.   You never know what the weather will be.

50 minutes ago, chmusar said:

We are from the UK so having 3 days in New York , and we only live and hour from Southampton so easy to get home. We have been to all the ports before apart from Halifax so looking forward to that and i agree Rouen is a lovely place to spend a few hours.

Not bothered about a tan 🙂 , just looking to do nothing for a few days

Its our first transatlantic so looking forward to it, is it worth getting a balcony if on average the weather is not great ??

IMO, balcony is not worth it, although sometimes balconies are cheaper than oceanviews just because they aren't in demand.

In either case, a starboard side cabin will give you more sun.

The first of my 10 TransAtlantics was in April 2004 on the QE2 Southampton to NY. 3 days of locked off decks, 12 hours of 20 meter (70 foot) waves. Three windows on Deck 8 were broken. Many people the first day were afraid they were going to die, but they quickly got over that when they were so sick they were afraid they weren’t going to die. I had paid for those meals, and damned if I missed any of them. IMO a fun ride. YMMV. 

• Like 1

We've done 28 crossings.  I would guess that your chances for decent weather are pretty mixed this time of the year.  I would not however, be planning on day after day of pool weather.  You may very well have some decent, sunny but cool days, but you stand at least an equal chance to have cold and blustery weather for most of the crossing.

It's the luck of the draw when you cross the Atlantic.

first few days you might see big waves and rainy days, but in general people are reporting how lucky they are to have a clear blue sky and the sun shining. I yes, dont think about it too much. Any weather on board of transatlantic should make your day. It will depend on how you will set up yourself

On 5/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, chmusar said:

Hi

Looking to do a Transatlantic from New York to Southampton in late April 2021 on anthem of the seas , for the experienced cruisers out there what sort of weather and conditions could be expected.

Cheers

The one thing that you can be 100% sure of is that there will be weather every day.