Juneau Harbor Webcam

1 hour ago, Himself said:

September 2, 2020.  Clody but in raining in Juneau at the moment.  At the falls the bears and the birds are fishing but no fish are jumping.  The Salmon run must have finished.

Some Salmon are still there.  But their numbers seem less.  There are some in the back ground.

20200902T180801_3156126.ts.jpg

Edited by geocruiser

Hadn't seen salmon at the falls in a couple of days (when I visit) but did see  some this morning. Also seem to be less bears at the moment. I think they go away for awhile to eat berries, etc, one of the rangers/speakers said.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

On 9/2/2020 at 3:59 PM, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I think they go away for awhile to eat berries, etc, one of the rangers/speakers said.

Even bears know they need some fruit in their diet?  😄

Those wild Alaskan blueberries are simply delicious!

• Haha 1

I just was watching the Juneau harbor cam.  It looks like a beautiful day there.  The water is nice a calm.

I enjoyed Juneau when there.  We took the cable car to the top.  Also we took the city bus to a local beer brewery and a salmon packing company.  What did every one else do while visiting Juneau?

I check the Juneau webcam almost daily year round.  Our first cruise to Juneau was 15 years ago and we took the ship tour to Mendenhall Glacier and what was then Mendenhall Gardens (now Glacier Gardens).  We have been back to Mendenhall Glacier through the years and have marveled as we see how it has receded through the years.  The visitor center has improved and the crowds have grown (a lot).

Some years we just walk around and have seen the Governor’s Mansion, the Russian Church, etc.  Juneau is really hilly when you get away from the dock and tourist area.  One really rainy day we just visited the Juneau State Museum.   We’ve been up the tram a few times so we know to judge the weather and how many ships in port before we buy the tickets.  On our most recent trip on the Maasdam we had to tender and it was pouring rain so we went ashore to buy some Glacier Smoothie soap (their shop had moved up the street) and stopped at a few local shops along the way.  One year after watching people going in and out of the Taqueria taco shop on the winter webcam we decided to stop in for a taco and a beer.  

Two years ago we finally decided to take one of those float planes that we had been watching on take off’s and landings near the steamship dock.  The Taku Glacier Lodge Salmon Bake was wonderful.  We got to take off and land twice, enjoy a narrated flight above the glaciers, walk along a lovely path across from Taku Glacier, have a great fresh salmon lunch, and marvel at the bear that came to lick up the grill drippings!  An expensive excursion but an adventure I won’t forget!

So, that’s why I check the Juneau web cam almost daily year round.  Happy memories!

3 hours ago, geocruiser said:

What did every one else do while visiting Juneau?

Have done the obligatory tour to the Mendenhall Glacier and the Salmon related sites.  Visited the stores and spent some money.

What I have enjoyed the most follows in no order of importance:

A free tour of the Alaska State Capitol and seeing the Governor's Mansion nearby  (it was closed for tours the day I was there)

The Alaska State Museum

The Taku Lodge and 5 Glaciers Flightseeing Tour

A lunch at the Alaska Fish and Chips Restaurant  where I dined on the best Halibut and Chips that I have ever eaten.

Sitting on the benches along the waterfront:  people watching; crow watching as well.  (Those birds are fascinating to me to watch; I miss not hearing them in person this year.)  

Riding the Tram to the top of the Mountain

Juneau is a great city and a very tourist friendly port!

4 hours ago, geocruiser said:

What did every one else do while visiting Juneau?

I was there in July.  I went fishing with a coworker and we caught king salmon, halibut, rockfish, and dungeness crab.  I'm still trying to eat through it all. 😁

Otherwise, since I've been there so many times, I usually just opt for a hike.  There's a lot of good hikes there.   

Edited by Aquahound

5 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I just was watching the Juneau harbor cam.  It looks like a beautiful day there.  The water is nice a calm.

I enjoyed Juneau when there.  We took the cable car to the top.  Also we took the city bus to a local beer brewery and a salmon packing company.  What did every one else do while visiting Juneau?

I usually stop and visit my frinds at the Juneau Fudge Company.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I am a great lover of History.  I always walk over to the Juneau Memorial and remember the soldierswho died when she went down.  Among the victims were the 5 Sulivan Brothers from Waterloo, Iowa,

Edited by Himself
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, geocruiser said:

We, too, have been to Juneau many times.

My favorite memory was taking a small boat excursion to Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier.    Long, but wonderful day. 

B

5 hours ago, Himself said:

I am a great lover of History.  I always walk over to the Juneau Memorial and remember the soldierswho died when she went down.  Among the victims were the 5 Sulivan Brothers from Waterloo, Iowa,

The victimd on the Juneau were all sailors and not Solgers.

5 hours ago, Himself said:

As I am a lover of history as well, Father.  People walk by that Memorial without a glance.  We, as a Nation, are loosing our perspective as to what those men and woman did for us so many years ago that have allowed us to live the lives we now have.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

As I am a lover of history as well, Father.  People walk by that Memorial without a glance.  We, as a Nation, are loosing our perspective as to what those men and woman did for us so many years ago that have allowed us to live the lives we now have.  

I have not forgotten. Those Sailors and other sevice people were apart of the "greatest Generation. Many of them went in right after Hgh School graduation. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Himself said:

I have not forgotten. Those Sailors and other sevice people were apart of the "greatest Generation.

Nor will I forget.  My Father was in the Merchant Marine and participated in at least one convoy that went to Murmansk at a time when many ships were being lost to the U-Boats.