Juneau Harbor Webcam

We watched the fireworks on the Juneau Harbor webcam last night, July 3rd.  There were several areas on Douglas Island where the fireworks could be seen just prior to 11 pm (PST) .  That’s just about the time that the cruise ships would have been pulling the lines getting ready to head down Gastineau Channel.

Edited by oaktreerb

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, bellebaby said:

Rainy today in Juneau. 56F.

Sounds like a respite from the July heat in Texas.

B

As well as in Ohio!  Watching once in awhile, the bears are catching many of the salmon and it seems to me that I have seen more of the salmon successfully navigate jumping the Falls to continue their journey to their spawning area.  

There are a number of pleasure craft in Juneau including the Michaela Rose and the Wilderness Adventurer and it’s raining, the wind is blowing, and it’s 56 degrees.  That’s the kind of weather we had last year when we had to tender from the Maasdam...plus the first tender broke down and we had to get back on the Maasdam and board a different tender.  I would do it all again with a big smile on my face enjoying the freedom of the adventure!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geocruiser said:

It is truly amazing to watch them.  A real gift.

Does not seem to be as many bears "fishing" this afternoon as on other days.  Maybe:  "I'm full and I need to take a nap" for some?

Love to watch the salmon jumping since I saw that "live and in person" during my Alaska visit in 2019.  I wonder what percentage actually get to their spawning grounds?  How do the fish know when they ought to try to make the jump?  It must take a great deal of energy to do what the salmon must do to return to their "home".

On 7/20/2020 at 12:48 PM, geocruiser said:

I believe that I once heard in one of the Park Ranger's talk, that a salmon has 4,500 calories in it.  That is some meal!!🐻

Those calories probably translate into the required energy to hopefully allow the salmon to complete its life cycle.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Those calories probably translate into the required energy to hopefully allow the salmon to complete its life cycle.  

And get the bears fat for the winter.  I seen some of them on the web cam, that are so big by the end of the season.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:48 AM, geocruiser said:

I believe that I once heard in one of the Park Ranger's talk, that a salmon has 4,500 calories in it.  That is some meal!!🐻

It will help the bear survive during hibernation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Himself said:

Weather does not look good in Juneau on this 28th day of July.

At least it is not raining.  I access this web cam daily and it's my impression that Juneau has had a very rainy Spring and Summer.  It seems more often than not, there is rain or it has recently rained by the water spots on the camera's lens.